Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 4, 2012 at 8:28 AM Post #8,851 of 48,562
Yes. Though it's headphone to headphone basis. Some headphones hiss more than others. The D7000 being super sensitive hissed quite a bit more than the Beyers.

The Q701 had very low levels of hiss. In any case, hiss was never distracting like it could be on the AX720's amp.

Nov 4, 2012 at 10:40 AM Post #8,852 of 48,562
Only online games (WOT) - that the best?
HE-500
HD600
AD900
?
And headphone processor?

Hi Kas as far as the HE-500 if your trying to do fps games for positional accuracy look elsewhere because the HE-500 is bad in that area but excels at everything else..

Headphone processor?? If your saying best virtual surround for headphones there is no best it's all about what works for you just do your homework n read reviews. There are quite a few decoders out there and google can be your friend if you let it..

Nov 4, 2012 at 2:40 PM Post #8,854 of 48,562
Quote:
I tried emulating Symphonia (Dolphin) but the sound was jacked up. Any tips?

There's a more accurate sound plugin option in Dolphin that might fix it, but it requires you to dump some DSP files from a real GameCube or Wii. It's also more hardware-intensive to use than the other options, predictably. (Emulation's always a big tradeoff between speed and accuracy.)

Quote:
Only online games (WOT) - that the best?
HE-500
HD600
AD900
?
And headphone processor?

Your wallet's going to hate me for these suggestions, but you asked for the best and didn't state a budget...

-A Stax Lambda-series setup, any of them. They're not on MLE's list, but I have yet to find anything better for competitive gaming. Spacious soundstage, unbelievable clarity, and comfortable for hours on end (vintage sets moreso due to lower clamping force, but modern sets like the SR-303 aren't too bad with soft earpads). The flagship SR-Omega/SR-007/SR-009 may be even better, but the Lambda setups are expensive enough as-is when factoring in the amplifier requirements all electrostatics have.
-A Smyth Realiser A8, with a recording made in the theater of your choice. (You need to make a recording with the included earbud microphones to get the most out of it.) They also come bundled with a basic Stax setup by default, and for good reason.

Nov 4, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #8,855 of 48,562
Quote:
So the hiss on the 2013 mix amp only starts at 60% volume. What is a normal listening volume for you guys? Does the 5.8 hiss start to become noticeable at around the same 60% mark?

I usually played at 50%. When I was feeling like I wanted to be able to hear footsteps better, I would crank it up to around 70. Not sure about the 5.8 though.

Quote:
Holy cow dude, you have a radio DJ's voice! Your voice is basically perfect for these sorts of reviews.
Very nice comparison.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sounded professional, yet like a buddy telling their friend about the Mixamp. Awesome.
I wonder how much hiss the new one has compared to the 5.8. The 5.8's hiss is basically a non-issue even during quiet scenes.
Probably like AX720 hiss?

Thanks! :D I would do more of them if I had money haha. I wanted to try out the AX720, but I can't seem to find them anywhere.

Nov 4, 2012 at 9:10 PM Post #8,856 of 48,562
-A Stax Lambda-series setup, any of them. They're not on MLE's list, but I have yet to find anything better for competitive gaming. Spacious soundstage, unbelievable clarity, and comfortable for hours on end (vintage sets moreso due to lower clamping force, but modern sets like the SR-303 aren't too bad with soft earpads). The flagship SR-Omega/SR-007/SR-009 may be even better, but the Lambda setups are expensive enough as-is when factoring in the amplifier requirements all electrostatics have.
-A Smyth Realiser A8, with a recording made in the theater of your choice. (You need to make a recording with the included earbud microphones to get the most out of it.) They also come bundled with a basic Stax setup by default, and for good reason.

You're forgetting a Blue Hawai electrostatic amp to power that headphone :p
Also might need a DTS/Dolby decoder for connecting that Smyth Realizer A8 to anything other than a PC.

I d say it'd easily exceed $10.000. Maybe nearing or already exceeding $15.000 if you account for transport, insurance, and customs costs for some countries.

Well,... At least it still costs less than the OLED 4k monitor that costs as much as a mid sized car.
If I ever have that kind of money. Maybe I would just make a sound isolated dome shaped room especially for gaming, covered with 8.2 top of the line speakers-sub integrated into the walls...LOL... Maybe looking like Star Trek astro lab, or X men cerebro room... Now that I think about it, make the room underground. LOL.

Sorry, my daydreaming is getting out of control.

Nov 4, 2012 at 9:23 PM Post #8,857 of 48,562
Does anyone know if the 2013 a40 drivers are in the a50's?  I would love if they cloned the a30 driver and made it a larger 40mm or even 50mm driver and put it in the a40's or 50's.  I think the a30's sound way better but not as open (due to the headphone itself im guessing) compared to the a40's and not as comfortable.

Nov 5, 2012 at 12:30 PM Post #8,858 of 48,562
Quote:
You're forgetting a Blue Hawaii electrostatic amp to power that headphone :p
Also might need a DTS/Dolby decoder for connecting that Smyth Realizer A8 to anything other than a PC.
I d say it'd easily exceed $10.000. Maybe nearing or already exceeding $15.000 if you account for transport, insurance, and customs costs for some countries.
Well,... At least it still costs less than the OLED 4k monitor that costs as much as a mid sized car.
If I ever have that kind of money. Maybe I would just make a sound isolated dome shaped room especially for gaming, covered with 8.2 top of the line speakers-sub integrated into the walls...LOL... Maybe looking like Star Trek astro lab, or X men cerebro room... Now that I think about it, make the room underground. LOL.
Sorry, my daydreaming is getting out of control.

The Blue Hawaii SE would be really nice, but presumably overkill for a Lambda like I was recommending. I would be happy if I could just get my hands on an SRM-1/Mk2 Pro or maybe an SRM-T1, but even those typically run $350-550 these days. And yet that's downright affordable compared to the KGSSHV, BHSE, etc. that people generally pair with the SR-007 or SR-009...

As for the Realiser A8's inability to decode Dolby Digital or DTS, it's largely a moot point when it has HDMI input (yes, honest-to-goodness HDMI input on a surround processor!) and all of the HD consoles should provide 8-channel LPCM output by default. 5th-and-6th-gen consoles will need a Dolby Pro Logic II and Dolby Digital decoder box, though...

Unfortunately, top-of-the-line anything is going to cost ridiculous amounts of money...a Sony G70 or Barco Cine 9 triple-CRT projector for the ultimate theater setup won't come cheap, especially paired with an HDfury4/3Dfury for HDMI 1.4's sake. Then the speaker system...two Quad ESL-57s or ESL-63s are expensive enough as is, but imagine putting 6 or 8 of the things in the room, along with amplification for them all...

And this isn't even getting started on the simulator cockpits I'd like to build, either! A full F-16C cockpit would be doable with existing parts on the market, at least, but I'll have to get my hands dirty fabricating some things for the A-10C and especially the Ka-50. (Just as a point of reference, a top-of-the-line HOTAS generally costs $500, with equally high-quality rudder pedals going for another $350. Then add another $150 or so for a TrackIR 5, $2,000 for a top-of-the-line computer that can handle the DCS series maxed-out, $250 for a tactile transducer seat, and god knows how much for the other simpit switches, screens and components...)

...yeah, way too much stuff, not enough money.

Nov 5, 2012 at 1:30 PM Post #8,859 of 48,562
Hello guys, very interested in your thread and in your opinion. Had my sony wireless stereo headset 7.1 broken .Wanted a new headset but many people say to buy a good headphones and amic to it. But if it possible to find good headset it`ll be better solution. Got about 150$. I have standart pc audiocard, but if need i can buy something better. As i read people recommened AT AD700/A700, BD DT 770 Pro 80 etc. I love to playing FPS`s,MMORPG`s and listen to music, also i do look some movies. About my music preferences: i can say that its rock,metall, dubstep. I had a luck in bass with my prevous sony headset so i need it a bit more. I spend more time on listening to music instead of playing and i listen to it most of my playing time. I`d like the headphones to be comfartable, as i spend about 6 hours per day in it. Thanks in advice! BTW, i`ve already have AT ATH-ES7, i use them with my player and i love it.

Nov 5, 2012 at 5:12 PM Post #8,862 of 48,562
Hello guys, very interested in your thread and in your opinion. Had my sony wireless stereo headset 7.1 broken .Wanted a new headset but everywhere people say buy a good headphones and a mic to it.But if it possible to find good headset it`ll be better. So i started looking for something new. Got about 150$. I have standart pc audiocard (good if it connectable to my phone), but if needed i can change it. As i read people recommened AT AD700/A700, BD DT 770 Pro 80 etc. I love to playing FPS`s,MMORPG`s ans listen to music, also look some movies. About my music i can say that its rock,metall, dubstep. I had a luck in bass with my sony headset so i need it more. I spend more listening to music instead of playing and most of the time listening to it when playing. Comfartable should be good, because i spend about 6 hours per day in it. Thanks in advice!

You probably need to raise that budget by about $50-100, as I assume tht you don't have a Dolby decoder. While it's not exactly necessary for getting sound out of your pc/ps3 this whole thread is dedicated to it use in conjunction with higher end headphones.

In regards to your listed headphones the safest and probably most budget minded option would be a pair of dt770pro80ohm. These are the least power hungry, bass oriented, affordable headphones that pair well with Dolby headphone. Of course they'll preform better with a dedicated amp, but can be driven off the mixamp on its own relatively well. I would avoid the ad700s if bass is at all a requirement in your listening experience.

Also please take the time to double check your grammar/spelling. It will not only make your posts more readable, but also might encourage people to give advice/opinions.

Nov 5, 2012 at 6:08 PM Post #8,864 of 48,562
Quote:
does anyone know if during black friday they have any good deals on gaming headphones?

I'm sure they will, somewhere.

Nov 5, 2012 at 8:42 PM Post #8,865 of 48,562
You probably need to raise that budget by about $50-100, as I assume tht you don't have a Dolby decoder. While it's not exactly necessary for getting sound out of your pc/ps3 this whole thread is dedicated to it use in conjunction with higher end headphones.
In regards to your listed headphones the safest and probably most budget minded option would be a pair of dt770pro80ohm. These are the least power hungry, bass oriented, affordable headphones that pair well with Dolby headphone. Of course they'll preform better with a dedicated amp, but can be driven off the mixamp on its own relatively well. I would avoid the ad700s if bass is at all a requirement in your listening experience.
Also please take the time to double check your grammar/spelling. It will not only make your posts more readable, but also might encourage people to give advice/opinions.

I dunno man, I think he knew exactly what he was looking for in a comfartable headphone :D

Btw, general update everyone... I didn't say, but the amp shipped out Wednesday last week, should arrive sometime next week, possibly longer because USPS mail jumps all around my neighborhood before actually going out for delivery. Also, looking forward to the Halo 4 release tonight! I'll drop some campaign sound impressions tonight, but no competitive multiplayer sadly... FedEx said they were choosing a different candidate to fill the position I applied for, so no regular Internet yet. Going to Panera and the library to schlep some free wifi and apply for jobs online (which is every job) has become too much of a nuisance, so I sprung for AT&T's cheapest data for iPad plan ($15).

Feeding the Recon3D through my Yamaha receiver via a headphone plug male-to-male cable was excellent, the extra amping made bass and soundstage became much more defined and fun overall than just with the Recon3D, but a little more smooth than plugging the Xbox directly into the receiver. A worthwhile trade off – I miss my receiver already, packed back away now that the Momster is back from her weeklong vacation, and I am heartily anticipating my desktop headphone amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back