Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Oct 28, 2012 at 9:55 PM Post #8,731 of 48,562
Quote:
A blessing for that game in general. That game is too treble oriented.

Then why not just use an equalizer?

Balancing source frequencies aside, it could also help certain headphone models to sound "just right" for your tastes, if only a few frequency ranges are off. Saves a lot of money on going through countless headphones, too...on the other hand, a lot of people depend on your numerous impressions.

Oct 29, 2012 at 9:50 AM Post #8,732 of 48,562
I don't like to personally equalize my headphones most of the time. This is precisely why I got rid of the HE-400. All the HE-400 needed is a minor bump in bass, and they'd be perfect for me. But I don't like to fall back on EQ because there are situations where EQ is not an option, and I'll feel like I'm missing something when I CAN;T use EQ. Just... trust me... I'm dumb like that. :D

I had the EQ with the E17 and the HE-400, and I felt cheated... like this is how I WANT the HE-400 to always sound... if that makes any sense. I didn't wanna use the E17 as a crutch. With the SA-31's warmth jumpers in place, it's not really an EQ. It just ever so slighly changes the tone to be a hint warmer. It's almost so minute, it's not worth mentioning.

I want to listen to the innate sound signature of the headphones anyways.

Just got my HE-4s again...

To quote myself...

I always considered it a cross between a DT880 and DT990. This has not changed. The HE-4 is fresh out of the box, so give me time to adjust, and or let the HE-4 settle in. I'm able to directly compare it to the DT990/600. Both off my SA-31. The HE-4 needs a couple notches more off the SA-31's volume than the DT990.

Directly comparing (mostly the tonal balance):

Bass: The HE-4 has a tighter bass, less present bass. The DT990's bass does vibrate my ears a bit more, but they do have good bass to them. They aren't lacking realistically speasking, but I'd want more from the bass, just like I want more of the HE-400's bass. From memory, the HE-4 does have more bass than the DT880. I'd say it's like the HE-400's bass but just a little less so. The slightly colder tone of the HE-4 (compared to the HE400) makes it seem less bassy as well.

Mids: The HE-4's comes off more naturally, and are more integrated. You definitely trade mids/bass between the two. The HE-4's mids are not forward. They remind me of the HE-400's in that they are cohesive to the overall sound, even if they are not forward.

Treble: They are both bright so far. The HE-4 is definitely less sizzling than the 990s. I've seriously stated that I felt the HE-400 to get peaky at times, where the HE-4 doesn't, though the HE-4 is definitely sparkly, not smooth in the treble.

The HE-4 is definitely more balanced and natural than the 990. I feel the HE-400 is even more natural sounding though.

That being said, I'm a sucker for the 990's presentation... lol.

If I had to base something off the limited impressions... I wouldn't replace the HE-400 for the HE-4. They are similar, and the HE-4 has a more lively presentation (which I prefer). HOWEVER, the HE-400 is warmer, fuller bodied (slightly), and intimate sounding. I was hoping the HE-4 had more bass than the HE400 but it's similar to maybe a just having a smidge less. Still, the HE-4 is a true upgrade for DT880 owners, and the bass IS very good, like the HE-400. I just like more emphasis, personally.

The DT880 is an energetic headphone. The HE-4 keeps that energy going. The HE-400 is more laidback.

Overall, which of the Hifimans do I prefer after all is said and done? The HE-400. Don't get me wrong... the HE-4 is ABSOLUTELY amazing. If it had maybe 5% more bass, I'd like it over the HE-400. Just, I like the bigger bass on the HE-400, and that wasn't exactly enough for my taste. Looks like it's still gonna be the 990's for me. It is the weakest of the three for sure, but it's sound signature is to my preference. It's not always about the better headphone, but which one you can jam out to more.

For those who want a more LIVELY sound to the HE-400 and have an amp to power them, the HE-4 is an obvious choice. I know some people do find the HE-400 to lack in energy. The HE-4 is that viable alternative, while still having many of the same qualities. Seriously.

You are paying $450 (already comes with velours), where the HE-400 you pay around $420 (velours).

I do find the HE-4 more comfy than the 990s, which says a lot. It's also more comfy than the HE-400, for sure. The velours, and the weight are a win.
Edited by Mad Lust Envy - Today at 9:07 am

Oct 29, 2012 at 9:53 AM Post #8,733 of 48,562
Then why not just use an equalizer?

Balancing source frequencies aside, it could also help certain headphone models to sound "just right" for your tastes, if only a few frequency ranges are off. Saves a lot of money on going through countless headphones, too...on the other hand, a lot of people depend on your numerous impressions.

Curious, how much would a discreet equalizer run at for a base model? Personally, I think there is sometimes something separate from a raised frequency that can contribute to harsh or dull sound... Too much treble is always bad IMO, but with my headphones, the treble is usually fine, but synthesized highs seem quite a bit sharper and more painful than a sound at the same pitch produced organically. For example, I hate playing Plants vs Zombies on my Q701s because the synth music irritates my hearing quickly, but it's fine if I use the much smoother and less-detailed speaker built-in to my iPad.

I'm hoping that I'll smooth my treble a bit simply by tube rolling. I should get a tracking number for my amp this week!

Oct 29, 2012 at 10:22 AM Post #8,734 of 48,562
Quote:
I don't like to personally equalize my headphones most of the time. This is precisely why I got rid of the HE-400. All the HE-400 needed is a minor bump in bass, and they'd be perfect for me. But I don't like to fall back on EQ because there are situations where EQ is not an option, and I'll feel like I'm missing something when I CAN;T use EQ. Just... trust me... I'm dumb like that.
biggrin.gif

I had the EQ with the E17 and the HE-400, and I felt cheated... like this is how I WANT the HE-400 to always sound... if that makes any sense. I didn't wanna use the E17 as a crutch. With the SA-31's warmth jumpers in place, it's not really an EQ. It just ever so slighly changes the tone to be a hint warmer. It's almost so minute, it's not worth mentioning.
I want to listen to the innate sound signature of the headphones anyways.
Just got my HE-4s again...
To quote myself...

I actually see what you mean there. It's like you're taking away from something that you payed for. It's kinda like using dynamic contrast on a TV to make an image look 'nicer' but fake as opposed to calibrated.

Is this why you hesitate to recommend the DT770s, given that you can just remove the overpowered bass, and as a result have the best directional audio possible in competitive games?  

Oct 29, 2012 at 10:26 AM Post #8,735 of 48,562
Yeah, sorta like that. I also feel that EQ can't replace a stock headphone with the sound you want.

I'm returning the HE-4. I ordered the 990 Pros. I realize that I'm just wasting my time trying to appeal to lesser desires within me. What I need is a bassy open headphone that will always satisfy. The 990/600 will be compared to the 990 Pros. If the Pros are as close as the Premium 250ohm was, I'm gonna keep them and call it a day on that front, assuming the bass doesn't destroy my ears like last time. I'm gonna be done searching for a bassy open can. After that, I need a musical, mid rich can that I can use when watching things that need good mids. Well... just went and did it...

Just got the HD650 from E-Expo for $340 new in open box (just as I have done with the D7000s, which were new in open box too... and were definitely new and untouched)

I have been wanting to try them for AGES. Why did I get them? It was this or getting the HE-400 again. I realize that the 990s are staying no matter what I do. Either the 990/600 or the 990 pros (depending on how the 990 pros stack up to the 600). I need that bass of theirs. I just do.

However, I don't need a headphone that competes with it. And so since I hear of how magical the mids are on the HD650... I decided it was that time.

I don't think the HD650 is going to make a good gaming headphone, but I want them for other purposes.

Oct 29, 2012 at 11:23 AM Post #8,736 of 48,562
Curious, how much would a discreet equalizer run at for a base model? !

Something like this? http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-FBQ800-Ultra-Compact-Graphic-Equalizer/dp/B000MJ406Y

Oct 29, 2012 at 11:49 AM Post #8,737 of 48,562
Just got the HD650 from E-Expo for $340 new in open box (just as I have done with the D7000s, which were new in open box too... and were definitely new and untouched)

Ew. I HATE Electronics Expo. I bought my AD700s from them, but I didn't get the headphone until a full MONTH after I ordered them because they kept sending the closed A700 model. I think they just turned around and sent back the exact same unit, too. 3 other head-fi'ers had the same problem with them around the same time as me... most of them gave up and kept the A700. Electronics Expo didn't address the issue until I wrote a detailed 0-star seller report 3-weeks in, in which they contacted me and asked if I would take my review down.

I've heard the HD650 is good, but has recessed mids. Maybe your amp will power out what you're hoping for, but I'm going to "call it" and bet that it's not the droid you are looking for. At least, with a review up, people will stop asking for you to review them, lol!

Mad, you choose an apt username :rolleyes: I'm not telling you what to do with your money (or credit), but, as a friend, I'd advise you to spread out these purchases. I know you send a lot of them back, but why not once a month? What's the rush?

Rebel975,
Thanks for the link. It's loading seriously slow on the Starbucks network I'm at, for some reason, but I bet quite a few thread-participants will be interested.

Oct 29, 2012 at 12:01 PM Post #8,738 of 48,562
I never had a problem the three times I ordered from them. Two D7000s, and the HD598. Everything came quickly and without issues.

And you're wrong. The HD650 is a mid rich headphone. It has recessed treble.

I'm an impatient person. The harsh truth, lol.

The graphs and pretty much everything I've read of them has been that they have amazing mids.

Oct 29, 2012 at 1:56 PM Post #8,739 of 48,562
Quote:
Rebel975,
Thanks for the link. It's loading seriously slow on the Starbucks network I'm at, for some reason, but I bet quite a few thread-participants will be interested.

That's the cheapest one they have. They also have 31 band ones, but you'd pay much more for them obviously.

Oct 29, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #8,740 of 48,562
Quote:
And you're wrong. The HD650 is a mid rich headphone. It has recessed treble.
I'm an impatient person. The harsh truth, lol.

The graphs and pretty much everything I've read of them has been that they have amazing mids.

@ Mad being that you  want lush mids why not go for the HE-500? I'm sure being that you like the DT880-990 series headsets your not going to like the Hd 650 trust me the HD-650 is an easy going but detailed headset "I'd say laid back ".

It has less bass presentation than the DT- series headsets and of course the high end i bet is not going to be "Sparkly" enough for your taste. I bet you will audition them and then send them back but i could be wrong lol.

Your gonna need eq to get them to sparkle like the DT-990 but hey the HD-650 respond's pretty well to eq in which i understand you not fond of doing either! 

good luck with the HD-650 i happen to like it but it sounds dark and soothing to my tired ears but thats my impression of em..  

Oct 29, 2012 at 4:17 PM Post #8,741 of 48,562
I'd rather spend $350 now and save the that other $350. Besides, the HD650 is my COMPLIMENTARY can, not my main one. I require bass and treble for my main needs. In fact, the HD650 is probably absolute overkill as a secondary can.

Ironically, they won't be really for music, but for when I need rich vocals, mainly when watching my tv shows, and the like. The DT990s tend to be a bit distant in the vocals when I'm trying to pay attention to voices when watching movies/etc. If it's not an action movie, I'll most likely be using the HD650.

If I was gonna spend $700 on a headphone, they better damn well be my main can, like the D7000.

That wound is still fresh. I beginning to think I made a mistake of selling them. Those were everything I wanted, pleather aside.

Ideally it would have been:

Closed: D7000
Open: DT990
Mid rich: ??? (HD650?)
Transportable: KSC35

One thing I find interesting:

Graph accuracy not being perfect, I'm still intrigued. The KSC35 is warmer than the KSC75, with softer treble, and bigger bass, yet are very similar. If the HD650 is like a big KSC35, even with less bass... I do believe I have an absolute winner for that secondary purpose.

Oct 29, 2012 at 4:50 PM Post #8,742 of 48,562
LOL! Great minds MLE... I just bought a pair over the weekend... I'm thinking of using these to test out wether or not i should look towards the HD800s as my endgame can. Not too sure if I should have gone with the 600s instead through.

Oct 29, 2012 at 5:12 PM Post #8,743 of 48,562
The HD800 has little in common with the HD650, fwir. The HD800 is supposedly like a super K701. The 650 would be on the opposite side of the spectrum.

Oct 29, 2012 at 5:46 PM Post #8,744 of 48,562
MLE, I never though I'd see you go in for a HD650.  It's like the opposite of what you normally use.  There's a bunch of headphones I would try first before I'd consider the HD650.

#DatVeil

Users who are viewing this thread

Back