Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Oct 15, 2012 at 4:42 PM Post #8,371 of 48,578
Just wanna say, spending more time with the 250ohm and the E17. The sound is CLEEEEEEAN. Loving it. Can't wait for the E9K. I have a feeling I'll probably choose the 250ohm over the 600ohm.

Either way, I rearranged my setup a bit, and PC is in my room now, so no need to move the E9K around. The 600ohm better have some noticeable improvement, though fwir, I doubt it.

As for the 32ohm, it definitely isn't as warm as the 250ohm. Like there's a noticeable lower growl in the 250ohm that isn't in the 32ohm. Just a very slight tilt in bass, that gives the sound slightly more body. It's actually pretty noticeable. Enough to say that the 250ohm is definitely better. The 32ohm sounds slightly lean and analytical next to it. But again,. that makes the mids/vocals more forward on the 32ohm.

This is just with some music that isn't even bassy that I can tell. Like Radiohead's Paranoid Android. There's lower end missing on the 32ohm that is there on the 250ohm.

If a song is bassy, that's when the differences slim down to them being very hard to tell apart.

Oct 15, 2012 at 7:13 PM Post #8,372 of 48,578
I figure this is where to go for gaming headphone recommendations.

I have read your (Mad Lust Envy) guide, and have narrowed it down to 2 of them

Creative Aurvana Live!
|
Beyerdynamic dt990

or if another is recommended, i will look into it.

These will be used on PC with a sound card or extra amp if necessary, for often gaming and not-so often music. I would like good sound quality as I've never had 'quality' headphones before, with decent bass, that doesn't overpower to much of the mids, lows, or highs. More fun, Less competitive, and i usually game for long periods of time, so comfort would help with this.

Anything else needed to know, just ask.

Thanks.

Oct 15, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #8,373 of 48,578
The DT990 is much better than the Creative Aurvana Live. If you can afford it, the Premiums. The DT990 Pros are very bass oriented. The Premiums have great bass, but aren't oriented in it like the Pros.

What's your budget?

Oct 15, 2012 at 9:20 PM Post #8,375 of 48,578
Quote:
My budget would be below $250 total (including amp/sound card)
Are the dt990 better than the creative in sound quality and comfort?
Thanks.

As the DT990s are open, you should be able to game for longer periods without your ears getting pounded too much.
Personally my ear do not like using the CALs for long periods of times, like more then 15 minutes.
What make an model motherboard do you have?

Oct 15, 2012 at 9:38 PM Post #8,377 of 48,578
The DT990 alone around over $250, unless you get the Pro model which is very bass oriented.

They leak more in than out, and others in the room will be able to hear what you're listening to. I can't remember if the Pro leaked more. I find the Premiums to not leak out that much for an open headphone.

And yes, they're incredibly comfortable. The CAL is comfy in terms of fitting well, having soft pads, but they are shallow pads which may make your ears crush against them, and they have pleather pads which get hot quickly.

In any case, the CAL doesn't come close to the DT990s.

Oct 15, 2012 at 9:43 PM Post #8,378 of 48,578
If they do not require an amp to sound good, then I will be fine with either of them, but if I need an amp for good quality, that may be an issue.

I'd they don't need an amp the pros or premiums would be a fine choice.

Oct 15, 2012 at 9:54 PM Post #8,379 of 48,578
Hi guys, I recently bought the Tritton 720+ and I'm hearing a low hum/buzz sound during low volumes, or even when I have the game sound muted.  I've tried switching to a different usb port on my ps3, and even tried plugging the usb in to my TV, laptop, and my cell phone's USB to wall power adapter.  but none of the changes I've tried affect it.  Also raising or lowering the game volume doesn't affect it either.

the OP mentions that the 720 decoder box does have some white noise, but I guess I didn't expect it to be as noticeable[size=small] [/size]during quite scenes.  Is there anyway to at least reduce the humming?

Oct 15, 2012 at 10:01 PM Post #8,380 of 48,578
Quote:
blink.gif

Sorry, but accurate bass is not in any shape or form close to describing the DT990 Pros. They are VERY bass centric. They just aren't sluggish like the DT770 Pros.
Not sure you made the right choice if you're looking for accurate bass, and more well-rounded sound. The DT990 Pros are a basshead can first. The DT990 Premiums have a more well rounded bass, though are still on the bassy side. Judging from the DT990/32 and 250 comparisons I've been making, the 32ohm has the least amount of bass (by a smidge) and have the most balanced sound of the two. I'll wait until I get my hands on the 600ohm before I say which has the most well rounded sound signature. Well rounded doesn't necessarily mean the most refined, as I feel the Premium 250ohm is more refined than the 32ohm, but more v-shaped, with less mid presence.

Perhaps they may be a little bassier than I had thought, but accurate or controlled bass that I was referring to was that everyone seems to talk about the mid-bass (which I like) and not as much about the sub-base or ambient sound.  Also by well rounded I was referring more to my personal needs and not the general consensus.  They seem like they would work well for gaming, movies, and the type of music that I listen to. Which is mostly metal and rock.  Since it's costing nearly $400 for the set-up I want to be able to use them for everything and not just competitive gaming.  That's what I meant by well rounded. 

Also my personal taste is that they look a lot nicer to me.  I hate the look of the premiums.  I just wish that it had a straight cable instead of the spiral, as I know that will annoy me (or better yet a removable cable).  I'm also hoping that the tighter clamping isn't as glaring as some here make it seem, or that I can at least stretch it out a little.  On the plus side I don't have a big head so maybe it won't be a big deal.

I guess I will find out tomorrow. 

Oct 15, 2012 at 10:37 PM Post #8,383 of 48,578
Pretty sure he meant the PROS, not the Premiums.

As for the AX720, I believe someone mentioned completely muting the mic to perhaps lower the signal noise. Other than that, yeah, it's gonna be noisy all the time.

Oct 15, 2012 at 11:30 PM Post #8,384 of 48,578
Quote:

QFT

I enjoy Mad Lust's input I'm usually not steered wrong by the knowledge! Seriously who's taking offense to what your saying :O 

Oct 16, 2012 at 12:34 AM Post #8,385 of 48,578
Quote:
Just wanna say, spending more time with the 250ohm and the E17. The sound is CLEEEEEEAN. Loving it. Can't wait for the E9K. I have a feeling I'll probably choose the 250ohm over the 600ohm.
Either way, I rearranged my setup a bit, and PC is in my room now, so no need to move the E9K around. The 600ohm better have some noticeable improvement, though fwir, I doubt it.
As for the 32ohm, it definitely isn't as warm as the 250ohm. Like there's a noticeable lower growl in the 250ohm that isn't in the 32ohm. Just a very slight tilt in bass, that gives the sound slightly more body. It's actually pretty noticeable. Enough to say that the 250ohm is definitely better. The 32ohm sounds slightly lean and analytical next to it. But again,. that makes the mids/vocals more forward on the 32ohm.
This is just with some music that isn't even bassy that I can tell. Like Radiohead's Paranoid Android. There's lower end missing on the 32ohm that is there on the 250ohm.
If a song is bassy, that's when the differences slim down to them being very hard to tell apart.

Thanks for the continuing impressions on the DT 990 line.  I see that the 32 ohms have skyrocketed in "used" price through Amazon Warehouse so I feel good for buying when I did.  The 250 ohm model sounds compelling, but I don't know if I think it would be $80 + amp cost compelling enough to sway me toward returning the 32 ohm model.

Definitely awaiting your thoughts on the 600 ohm model.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back