Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Oct 11, 2012 at 8:28 PM Post #8,221 of 48,562
I believe I read it somewhere in this thread. It seems both opamps are used when RCA out is used. I think I've seen GenClaymore here at head-fi too so he could probably answer your question better.

Also, just an update, I received the E9 and have it all hooked up. First impressions: I hear an improvement, it sounds clearer and seems to use more of the soundstage. But I think that's in part because it's also louder. I'm trying to get it to match the volume I was listening to without the amp.

With the amp, Windows volume should be 100% and adjustments to volume should be done using the amp's volume knob, correct?

Will be doing some more listening and post an update if any one is interested.

Oct 11, 2012 at 8:33 PM Post #8,222 of 48,562
In the case of something like the Xonar ST/X the RCA jacks would be the clear choice for external amping, as the headphone jack has a pretty potent amp. And, why would you double amp if you could avoid it?

I would (and do) use the RCA's on the Titanium HD though. Even though the card doesn't have much of any headphone amp I still feel like it makes more sense to use the RCA's as they are made for external amplification.

And yes- keep the Windows volume at 100% and adjust volume with the amp.

Oct 11, 2012 at 11:04 PM Post #8,223 of 48,562
I ended up biting on a DT 990 (32 ohm) from Amazon WarehouseDeals and they're in great shape - MLE, you threw me over the edge with your glowing recommendation from a few days ago.  Unfortunately, the DSS2 is just barely able to get them going.  With the knob at the max setting, it just gets loud enough to feel as though you're experiencing the full range of sound.  If you adjust it down, even slightly, the sound gets weak. 

I'm somewhat disappointed, but this should have been expected.  I knew that the MixAmp is widely considered to be more powerful than the DSS2 and I know that the DT990s are hard-ish to drive (even in 32 ohm).  My question is now whether I should: 1) buy an amp and keep the 32 ohm; 2) buy an amp and get the 250/600 ohm version of the DT990; or 3) go back to the drawing board. I'm willing to shell out a little more money to feel like i'm getting an upgrade over my old HD555s, but I don't want to go crazy.  I was considering biting on something like the E9, but even after reading through this thread for weeks, I'm not even sure if many would recommend going with the 32 ohm DT990 paired with an amp.  I'd really appreciate some advice!

Thanks.

Oct 11, 2012 at 11:11 PM Post #8,225 of 48,562
As far as my SOTD, I change it myself, though I get lazty, lol.

Certain soundcards won't do virtual surround through the RCA out, so you NEED to use the headphone jack into another amp. Not sure which do and which don't. RCA outs tend to be line out, which bypass the virtual surround processing, and you're stuck with stereo. Better to ask those who own said cards whether they do or don't.

Nain, plug your amp to the DSS with a 3.5mm to RCA cable. That's it. As far as volume, I'd actually max out the DSS to make sure you're getting the full resolution of sound. If the volume is too low, you'll lose information and dynamics. However, if the DSS clips at max volume, you may have to lower it a bit. All I know is that I don't have that probem with the two Mixamps I have owned and max them out.

Skullcandy has reach out to me to review a product(s). I wanna say yes, and they do happen to own Astrogaming, so I wonder if they'd send out an A30/A40/A*Star/new Mixamp. Or I wonder if they wanna send out something purely Skullcandy related. They reached out because I defended them on Engadget, as people keep bashing them needlessly when SC has been making great strides with their newer products.

Dunno whether to accept or decline, as I'm not a pro reviewer, and I focus on the gaming aspect of this hobby. :frowning2:

Oct 11, 2012 at 11:17 PM Post #8,226 of 48,562
I ended up biting on a DT 990 (32 ohm) from Amazon WarehouseDeals and they're in great shape - MLE, you threw me over the edge with your glowing recommendation from a few days ago.  Unfortunately, the DSS2 is just barely able to get them going.  With the knob at the max setting, it just gets loud enough to feel as though you're experiencing the full range of sound.  If you adjust it down, even slightly, the sound gets weak. 

I'm somewhat disappointed, but this should have been expected.  I knew that the MixAmp is widely considered to be more powerful than the DSS2 and I know that the DT990s are hard-ish to drive (even in 32 ohm).  My question is now whether I should: 1) buy an amp and keep the 32 ohm; 2) buy an amp and get the 250/600 ohm version of the DT990; or 3) go back to the drawing board. I'm willing to shell out a little more money to feel like i'm getting an upgrade over my old HD555s, but I don't want to go crazy.  I was considering biting on something like the E9, but even after reading through this thread for weeks, I'm not even sure if many would recommend going with the 32 ohm DT990 paired with an amp.  I'd really appreciate some advice!

Thanks.

How are you liking the DT990/32 so far, from the little you've heard?

Also, just get a Fiio E11. That's all the 32ohm will ever need.

However, I'm getting my 250ohm tomorrow. Stay tuned. I'll let you know if it seems weak vs the 32ohm out of the E17, which is comparable to the E11, amp-wise. I probably won't be able to give impressions tomorrow as I'll undoubtedly be sleeping, but this Sunday will definitely be the day I do. We both have a few weeks to return our 990/32.

Oct 11, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #8,228 of 48,562
Quote:
How are you liking the DT990/32 so far, from the little you've heard?
Also, just get a Fiio E11. That's all the 32ohm will ever need.
However, I'm getting my 250ohm tomorrow. Stay tuned. I'll let you know if it seems weak vs the 32ohm out of the E17, which is comparable to the E11, amp-wise. I probably won't be able to give impressions tomorrow as I'll undoubtedly be sleeping, but this Sunday will definitely be the day I do. We both have a few weeks to return our 990/32.

I'm really liking the DT990/32 so far..  While I appreciate some COD online, I am mostly in for the single player stuff and these things really shine when you're not worried about detecting footsteps across the map.  As you stated on the OP, great combination of fun and competitive/positioning.  I'm very interested in hearing them driven with an amp, but I'm going to stay tuned for your 250 ohm review.  It could tip me, once again, into following your lead.  

Oct 11, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #8,229 of 48,562
Eric, they haven't given any restrictions (yet). They just asked if I was interested.

I will probably decline if they expect me to sugarcoat things though. I'd definitely be a little more professional with my wording in case I don't like something, but you guys will know if I like something or not. I'm doing this for the love of the hobby, lol.

I rather they send me something gaming related, as I don't think I'm good at review based purely on music and non-gaming side of audio.

If they happen to send something not Astro-related, I'll probably borrow my family's CAL and M50, as I have a feeling it will be a closed headphone, and I'll need something to compare them to.

Oct 12, 2012 at 12:52 AM Post #8,231 of 48,562
The Titanium HD can do virtual surround sound through the rca jacks, if anyone was wondering. :) I used to own the Xonar St and I'm pretty sure it can't- hence why I switched to the Titanium.

Oct 12, 2012 at 7:24 AM Post #8,232 of 48,562
Quote:
The Titanium HD can do virtual surround sound through the rca jacks, if anyone was wondering. :) I used to own the Xonar St and I'm pretty sure it can't- hence why I switched to the Titanium.

Thanks for the info :)

Are relatively cheap RCA -> jack converters any good? Maybe I'll try and compare RCA/jacks, but I only own one good analogue cable which is jack/jack.

Oct 12, 2012 at 8:51 AM Post #8,234 of 48,562
Thanks for the info :)

Are relatively cheap RCA -> jack converters any good? Maybe I'll try and compare RCA/jacks, but I only own one good analogue cable which is jack/jack.

Yep, this is the one I use: http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10218&cs_id=1021815&p_id=5597&seq=1&format=2

Works great, no issues at all.

Oct 12, 2012 at 9:20 AM Post #8,235 of 48,562
The only thing I don't like about that one, is that it's so stiff and bulky. Really high quality though. I just prefer a bit more flexibility/less bulkiness in my cables if I'm using portable devices. I go for monoprice when it comes to stationary interconnects, like from a desktop setup dac into an amp.

For a bit more, Amazon has this one...

http://www.amazon.com/Mediabridge-Stereo-design-accomodates-smartphone/dp/B004YEBK66/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1350048233&sr=8-6&keywords=3.5mm+male+to+rca+male

A lot more pliable. Mediabridge makes good cables.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back