Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Oct 6, 2012 at 4:44 AM Post #8,071 of 48,562
Haha I take it that it wasn't a horrible idea by the fact that you are considering selling your setup and switching to it? I'm still a little newbie when it comes to the high end audio scene but I am very interested in learning as the small jumps I've made in my quality of audio have been absolute mind blowing fun. I just don't want to spend too much too fast.

Are you thinking of trying it soon? If so please report back with results.

If not then perhaps I will just have to take the plunge and try it myself (although I doubt I would be able to properly balance it seeing as how I am new at this).

Oct 6, 2012 at 4:51 AM Post #8,072 of 48,562
Probably not. IF I sell the HE-400, I'll most likely just have the 990/32 (or Pro 900) and call it a day.

As for you trying it (if getting the E17), I'd probably just put the bass at -4 or -6, and possibly the treble at -2 or so. Lowering both would be mean the mids would be brough out more, which is something the DT770 Pro 80 needs. The DT770 Pro 80 is quite veiled sounding, so I'd probably just stick with bass reduction alone. The E17 only allows up to -12 I believe, which would probably make any headphone bass lite.

Oct 6, 2012 at 4:56 AM Post #8,073 of 48,562
Quote:
ArdentWings -> If you want more info on the DT770 Pro, I suggest you read the last pages where I heavily discussed it. For your question, 2 pieces of important info: The DT770 250ohm is said to have slightly less bass and overall more equal sound.

Paradux -> The Mixamp is currently out of stock everywhere because they're re-stocking with the 2013 version. And it will have a built-in equalizer :)
There are pictures a few pages back.

All good info and I may have to consider that, but I was also interested in the 80 ohm version as it may at some point be plugged into a smartphone. The 250 ohm would more than likely still have the same positional accuracy as the 80 ohm I assume?  What exactly is the benefit/difference/reason to go with the different ohm choices anyway? (as a general question not specifically regarding the dt770)

Edit: Posted twice.

Oct 6, 2012 at 7:43 AM Post #8,074 of 48,562
What do you guys think? I sell my HE400, and get this:

32ohm, of course. 3 tone, red, black, and silver (pads and the tabs). REAL leather headband, not the standard pleather found on the premium Beyers.

It'd cost me about $440 total, but I am looking at keeping these forever. Because MANUFAKTUR is so expensive, it'd make me NOT want to sell them.

Bah, probably not. Amazon has used ones for less than half the price. Aesthetics is one thing... $200+ dollars in my pocket is another. :D

Oct 6, 2012 at 8:22 AM Post #8,075 of 48,562
Quote:

All good info and I may have to consider that, but I was also interested in the 80 ohm version as it may at some point be plugged into a smartphone. The 250 ohm would more than likely still have the same positional accuracy as the 80 ohm I assume?  What exactly is the benefit/difference/reason to go with the different ohm choices anyway? (as a general question not specifically regarding the dt770)

I've read absolutely no mention of any difference in positional accuracy between the 2, so I'd assume it's the same. For what's following, keep in mind that I'm still noobish and don't own the actual headphones yet, I'm just repeating what I read. I'll be able to give my own opinion when it's delivered.

For the 770 beyers, the ohm difference also means a slight difference in built. I already mentioned it affects the sound, and the 250 also have a coiled cable instead of a straight one (helps to keep things tidy if you ask me). A comment from another thread on head-fi regarding the Beyers:

Quote:
There are some advantages to a headphone with high impedance. A higher impedance allows for more turns of wire to be used in the voice coil of the driver. This can improve how a headphone sounds and is the reason why Beyerdynamic's higher impedance models sound slightly better than their low-impedance versions.

With this said, with today's technology, low impedance phones sound awesome and I don't think there is any real advantage in using a higher impedance headphone anymore. If you have a choice of impedance (Beyer) and have a nice amp, you should go for the higher impedance model but otherwise you shouldnt worry about this. 

In general, a high-impedance headphone will help you avoid sound distortions if the output impedance of your source or amp is too high compared to the headphones. However, higher impedance means it needs more voltage to work, thus at the same voltage the volume will be more quiet. If you have one, you then have to turn your amp up a little, which can be a good thing too. Also potentially less EM noise, but I don't think it'd make a lot of difference?

To sup up: If you're planning to have a good amp in all cases anyway, the higher impedance can't hurt. However for use with portable devices, the headphones probably won't work with them.

For using the 80 ohm version directly with a smartphone, I've read people both saying it works and it doesn't. I assume it depends a lot on the phone brand and regional volume regulations. If it does work, I wouldn't expect to fully exploit the Beyer on a phone. It's a question that I've never seen fully answered though.

Quote:
What do you guys think? I sell my HE400, and get this:

Damn these look nice! What's the shipping cost portion in those 440$?

Oct 6, 2012 at 8:24 AM Post #8,076 of 48,562
Yup. It'd literally be $440 total. I think it makes sense just to get the standard ones for $190 total, don't you think? Lol. Color schemes are sexy, but it's not $250 sexier. That's a whole other headphone!

edit: In any case, I went and bought the Like New DT990/32. I'm almost POSITIVE it's gonna be the exact same one I returned a few weeks ago. :D

The only way I can realistically upgrade now, would be to get a new desktop amp and whatever headphone I'd like, which is no longer what I WANT to do. Sticking to the DT990/32 and E17 just makes sense. Easily driven by it, treble reduction if I ever feel the treble is too much (and it never was last time I had it), and all the bass presence I was wanting off the HE400 (without boosting bass).

Oct 6, 2012 at 8:37 AM Post #8,077 of 48,562
Went on the "MANUFAKTUR" to check what's possible and drool a bit. If I were you, I'd have chosen the black velour pads to stick with the color scheme, looks much better to me like this:

Anyway YES, it's terribly overpriced. Compared to new retail prices, it's about 2.5x more expensive. On the other hand, they look really, really nice. Whether it's too expensive depends on you and your wallet :p

I wouldn't buy it at this price, but I wonder why Beyer doesn't sell a few presets for "cheap".

Oct 6, 2012 at 8:39 AM Post #8,078 of 48,562
Nah, I don't like black velours. They absorb dust like nobody's business, and ends up looking dirty (basically did everything to keep the HE400 velours from taking in dust, and yet they still got dusty). I thought the silver velours made the Pro 900 look sexy, and was disappointed when they took them out for another set of black velours. The contrast is better, IMHO. That has TOO much black, and nothing to match up to the silver tabs.

I sent Beyerdynamic a email, asking if we were able to send in our DT990s to be Manufaktured. :D

I may end up with a pair of Pro 900s in the future. They can be driven by the E17, and the treble reduction WOULD benefit them.

Oct 6, 2012 at 8:59 AM Post #8,079 of 48,562
Oh, on the subject of impedance, I just found this: http://europe.beyerdynamic.com/service/faqs/faq-for-headphones.html

I had already read the exact same text on other websites, but none of them cited this as their source (or at least I didn't pick up that it was official). I can't believe I never found this page before!

Official Beyerdynamic explanation for the difference between impedances:

Quote:
Beyerdynamic /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The impedance is determined by the voice coil (dynamic headphones), which is a winded copper wire (coated to avoid a short-circuit). This copper wire is available in nearly every length, but not in every gauge (thickness) and a thicker wire has less resistance than a thin wire ("less fits through"). The magnetic field of the voice coil depends on the number of windings of the coil, causing a low impedance system to use a thicker (also heavier) wire and since the membrane foil can't be infinitely light-weight, the moving mass (voice coil and diaphragm) is relatively high. It's pretty clear that a higher mass can't move as easily (following an audio signal) as a lower mass. This low mass can easily be accomplished with thinner (lower weight) wire, but the thinner wire has a higher impedance. This means that the DT 770 PRO with 250 ohms sound more natural, but plays (depending on the used headphone amplifier) not as loud as the 80 ohms version.

The transducers of the 80 ohms versions are stronger and more powerful, a bit more low-mid accentuated and therefore this version is ideal for powerful reproducing of low-frequency material f.e. coming from a bass guitar. The 250 ohms version sounds more smooth and voluminous and can be used for mixing situations within the studio to analyse the whole mix.

Oct 6, 2012 at 9:35 AM Post #8,080 of 48,562
This is my first post, and not sure if I should post in this topic or the recommendations topic.  First I want to thank everyone that has participated in these discussion and particularly Mad Lust Envy for taking so much time in reviews and write ups that really helps out noobs.  I apologize for the length of this post and thank anyone who takes the time to read it.

As a little background to what led me here, I was almost set on getting Astro A50s and before ordering was just googling other alternatives.  I didn't like the style of some of the "expensive" brand headsets, but liked a lot of the headphones so I started to research the possibility of headphones and stand alone mics.  That led me to this thread.  This thread then led me to stay up to 2am on Thursday night and 1am last night reading through more threads, opinions, video reviews, pictures, and prices of various headsets.  I know the information is out there and I've gone though enough to have an idea of what I would need and want, but want so "professional" opinions on my specific needs. 

I'm a PS3 gamer and that is going to probably be 65% of what these are used for.  I've owned two pairs of headphones (other than ear buds or on hear headphones that came with walkman/discman that I got as a kid).  One was an over ear set I got probably 10 years ago when I started playing guitar and annoying everyone within 1/2 a mile.  The other was a cheap plantoronics headset I used for gaming.  I've never owned a surround system.  I want to get good surround sound without investing in a $3000 to $4000 in a quality surround system.  As I said mostly for gaming, but experiencing movies in surround would also be a plus.  I'd say I would guess my listening would be 65% gaming, 25% movies, 10% music.  I play a decent variety of game types, but my online play is mostly limited to FPS.  Movies I like everything from action to drama.  Music I'd say mostly Hard Rock / Metal (Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, GnR, Anthrax, nothing ridiculous) and classic rock, but also some interest in new wave, surf rock, some classical, eclectic mix.  Not much bass specific music except the harder stuff should punch a little. 

As of now I'm leaning heavily towards the Q701, unless a number of people tell me it's really not match my interests above, which I don't think will be the case.  My second pick is the DT-990.  The rest is kinda lumped in behind those unless someone can make a convincing persuasive argument.  I don't want to fall into the trap of researching so much that I just can't make a decision.  I have no frame of reference since I've never had a surround system nor good pair of headphones, so my thought is I will probably be happy if not blown away by whatever I wind up getting.  My reasons for liking the Q701 is #1 the very positive reviews, #2 I think it looks fantastic, #3 I really like the idea of the detachable cable.  I know looks really aren't important in the long run, but for some reason I just don't like the looks of the DT-990.

As for the surround simulator I am leaning towards the Recon3d USB.  I don't see many other options for me.  The mix amp is not sold by itself any more, and I can't justify buying an entire A40 set just for the mixamp.  Same thing for the AX720.  I keep reading how great dolby headphone is, but there really is very few options for console gamers.  What really is throwing me is that there is no DTS option for the Recon 3D.  My question to everyone here is, since I've never heard it, will I really miss it?  Will Dolby Digital be enough?  If someone has a good suggestion to get a good sound card that has dolby headphone without spending twice as much as the Recon3d I would love to hear it.

Amping. This is where I'm kinda lost.  I know there are a thousand options here, and I don't really know what I need.  With the Q701 and Recon3D I'm over $300 and I really don't want to push the $400 boundary as I already thought I was crazy for considering the $300 A50s.  I am slightly concerned about the perceived lack of base in the Q701, but don't want that to be a deal breaker.  Would a Fiio with a base boost be sufficient in getting to a good level without being over powering? Should i get an amp or an amp/DAC? I was leaning towards a Fiio E11 or E10 because they seem to have the power needed without breaking the bank and keeps me under $400.  My setup does not have to be portable.

Summary:
My leaning right now is Q701, Recon3D, Fiio 11 or 10.  I'm a complete noob who has done about 8 hours of reading over the last 2 days to reach this point.  Please offer suggestions that would fit my intent of using the system or reassure me that what I have picked is awesome.  Thank you for any advice.   

Oct 6, 2012 at 9:51 AM Post #8,081 of 48,562
Actually the Mixamp IS sold alone. They are just out of stock at the moment, due to the newer Mixamp's being rolled out. I wholeheartedly advise to wait until it's in stock. The sound quality and virtual surround is noticeably better than the Recon's.

The Q701 deserves more than the E11 provides (they are notorious for needing a LOT of power to get them to their true potential. The E11 alone will make the good, but you'll be basically taxing the E11 and not justifying the $250 plus for the cost of the Q701). You can get a DT990/32 used for like $190 and it WILL sound good off the E11. They are easy to drive in that an amp like the E11 is all that is necessary. You can however get the Q701 and a Fiio E9K to better drive them.

Oct 6, 2012 at 9:53 AM Post #8,082 of 48,562
About the Mixamp, the reason why it's not sold by itself at the moment is that all shops are restocking for the Mixamp 2013, you can find the first pictures and info in the very latest pages of this thread. I'm currently buying one and my seller told me that they should be available by October 20th for US and early November for EU.

What might really interest you is that the 2013 revision has a built-in equalizer with a few profiles that should be tweakable by connecting it to a PC. You could make your adjustments there and be free to consider transparent amplifiers :)

You will only miss DTS if you use your card to watch movies.

Oct 6, 2012 at 9:55 AM Post #8,083 of 48,562
Honestly, I wouldn't put much stock on those equalizers. They usually make things worse. From the impressions on the A50s and the DSPs... I've read that it's best to leave it flat. I'd much rather use actual boosts from audiophile amps, not gaming amps. Fiio's are known to have high quality bass boosting for the price. The one on the E17 is stellar, assuming you don't go overboard. +4 is a massive boost without hurting sound quality. +6 and up are overwhelming. Even the E5's bass boost was pretty good. The one on the Mixamp 5.8 is terrible.

Oct 6, 2012 at 10:26 AM Post #8,085 of 48,562
Quote:
Actually the Mixamp IS sold alone. They are just out of stock at the moment, due to the newer Mixamp's being rolled out. I wholeheartedly advise to wait until it's in stock. The sound quality and virtual surround is noticeably better than the Recon's.
The Q701 deserves more than the E11 provides (they are notorious for needing a LOT of power to get them to their true potential. The E11 alone will make the good, but you'll be basically taxing the E11 and not justifying the $250 plus for the cost of the Q701). You can get a DT990/32 used for like $190 and it WILL sound good off the E11. They are easy to drive in that an amp like the E11 is all that is necessary. You can however get the Q701 and a Fiio E9K to better drive them.

Quote:
About the Mixamp, the reason why it's not sold by itself at the moment is that all shops are restocking for the Mixamp 2013, you can find the first pictures and info in the very latest pages of this thread. I'm currently buying one and my seller told me that they should be available by October 20th for US and early November for EU.

What might really interest you is that the 2013 revision has a built-in equalizer with a few profiles that should be tweakable by connecting it to a PC. You could make your adjustments there and be free to consider transparent amplifiers :)

You will only miss DTS if you use your card to watch movies.

Quote:
Honestly, I wouldn't put much stock on those equalizers. They usually make things worse. From the impressions on the A50s and the DSPs... I've read that it's best to leave it flat. I'd much rather use actual boosts from audiophile amps, not gaming amps. Fiio's are known to have high quality bass boosting for the price. The one on the E17 is stellar, assuming you don't go overboard. +4 is a massive boost without hurting sound quality. +6 and up are overwhelming. Even the E5's bass boost was pretty good. The one on the Mixamp 5.8 is terrible.

Thanks for the quick replies.  I have a few follow-up questions from what you said.  Does the E9K provide a bass boost or would it need a DAC docked to do this?  I see a switch for gain but not boost.  I like that it can be added to though, and if I get it and really like it I suppose I can add an E7 or E17.  Do the Fiio amps come with everything that is needed to hook up, or do I have to by the wires separately?

I knew that MixAmp was sold as stand alone, but it no longer is.  Perhaps it is truely just sold out, you would know better than me.  From the FAQ on the Astro site it seemed to me to be more of a decision by Astro to only sell it with the headset to push headset sales.  Considering how popular the Mixamp is I can't believe they would stop production of the current model months before the release of their new model.  Being that the sound card is the least expensive part of this set up I suppose I can get the Recon3D and be on the lookout for the Mixamp 3 or restocking of the current model.  I just don't want to wait until 2013 to get all of this.  If it does come back in stock on October 20th like Mjonir says than I should still be in the window to return the Recon3D. 

I have a hang up on buying used items, I very rarely do it so i would likely spend the extra money on a new item.  Does the ohm versions of the DT-990 have significant difference in sound quality?  What does the 600 ohm version offer besides the need of a large amp? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back