Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Oct 1, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #7,936 of 48,566
Quote:

I would pick the DSS v1 of the DSS 2...

Yes, I was just thinking about this. The advantage of the DSS2 was just its price, the DSS1 is just as expensive as the Mixamp... in which case, well I might just be better buying the mixamp, especially if I plan to double-amp (which I will need if I want to drive the DT770 250ohm) with the Objective 2 on top of it (less hiss according to this guide). So Mixamp it is I think? :p

Oct 1, 2012 at 4:20 PM Post #7,937 of 48,566
Yes, I was just thinking about this. The advantage of the DSS2 was just its price, the DSS1 is just as expensive as the Mixamp... in which case, well I might just be better buying the mixamp, especially if I plan to double-amp (which I will need if I want to drive the DT770 250ohm) with the Objective 2 on top of it (less hiss according to this guide). So Mixamp it is I think? :p

Unless you want the Recon3D OH NO I DID IT AGAIN! :wink:
I got Creative's Recon3D precisely so I would have a DSP to work with both my computer (instead of a soundcard) and 360, and I was impressed with it after a few tweaks, which I broke down (at length) a week ago on this thread. Sorry to give you another option, and I know that Mad prefers the Mixamp, Nameless prefers the internal soundcard route, but I found the Recon3D on sale, and I think its great if you want one thing for both consoles and PC.

My computer provides power through USB even when it's turned off, so (after I tweaked my settings!) I plugged the optical into my Xbox, and now I just have to move a little switch to go from PC audio to console. Note: you can't change the Recon3D's settings if the optical is still plugged into the console.

For what it's worth I thought the Recon3D did positional audio better than the Turtle Beach setup in a kiosk at (a few of) my local electronics stores, but it was just a pre-recorded video rather than a live game.

Oct 1, 2012 at 4:37 PM Post #7,938 of 48,566
Quote:
Hello, i'm looking for some good gaming headphones <€60 for a friend. He wants a mic on it, i said he'd better buy an external mic like i do but he want's a build in mic.. So please recomand me some
wink.gif

Superlux HD668B should be around that price range or lower in Euro, also the Superlux HD660 should be E45ish on ebay. Which would be good options. Then you can use a chip clip on mic.

Oct 1, 2012 at 5:26 PM Post #7,939 of 48,566
Quote:
Unless you want the Recon3D OH NO I DID IT AGAIN!
wink.gif

I got Creative's Recon3D precisely so I would have a DSP to work with both my computer (instead of a soundcard) and 360, and I was impressed with it after a few tweaks, which I broke down (at length) a week ago on this thread. Sorry to give you another option, and I know that Mad prefers the Mixamp, Nameless prefers the internal soundcard route, but I found the Recon3D on sale, and I think its great if you want one thing for both consoles and PC.
My computer provides power through USB even when it's turned off, so (after I tweaked my settings!) I plugged the optical into my Xbox, and now I just have to move a little switch to go from PC audio to console. Note: you can't change the Recon3D's settings if the optical is still plugged into the console.
For what it's worth I thought the Recon3D did positional audio better than the Turtle Beach setup in a kiosk at (a few of) my local electronics stores, but it was just a pre-recorded video rather than a live game.

In this case, I'll be going the crazy route and buy both the internal soundcard (X-Fi Titanium) AND the Mixamp :D

However regarding purely Recon3D vs Mixamp, I had simply rejected the Recon due to the remark in this guide that the processing doesn't match the Dolby Headphones. I'm planning on it to be a very long term investment, so I'd rather put the 50€ difference now and don't regret it later, so that I can fully benefit the amp + headphones.

Thanks for the suggestion though, I really did not give the Recon3D enough reflexion before, and I'd maybe have taken it over de DSS.

Still hesitating a bit between 80 and 250 ohms however. I'll have the night to ponder on that and order everything tomorrow :)

Oct 1, 2012 at 5:29 PM Post #7,940 of 48,566
Quote:
Superlux HD668B should be around that price range or lower in Euro, also the Superlux HD660 should be E45ish on ebay. Which would be good options. Then you can use a chip clip on mic.

The Superlux HD660 are good sounding headphones, but they are 150-Ohm.
William007, hopefully you have a decent amplifier to drive them.

At Thomann, in Europe they sell the Superlux HMD-660E, which is the HD660 with a built in mic.
I really recommend you get the Beyerdynamic Velour ear pads with them, really helps comfort wise.
(same Velour ear pads used on the Beyer DT770 or DT880/DT990)

Oct 1, 2012 at 7:47 PM Post #7,941 of 48,566
In this case, I'll be going the crazy route and buy both the internal soundcard (X-Fi Titanium) AND the Mixamp :D

However regarding purely Recon3D vs Mixamp, I had simply rejected the Recon due to the remark in this guide that the processing doesn't match the Dolby Headphones. I'm planning on it to be a very long term investment, so I'd rather put the 50€ difference now and don't regret it later, so that I can fully benefit the amp + headphones.

Thanks for the suggestion though, I really did not give the Recon3D enough reflexion before, and I'd maybe have taken it over de DSS.

Still hesitating a bit between 80 and 250 ohms however. I'll have the night to ponder on that and order everything tomorrow :)

If it helps any, I don't think you're crazy. I know the logic in not buying something that you would be dissatisfied with and intend on upgrading from anyway. I just read that your budget was exploding (there's a reason for Head-Fi's traditional welcome, lol!), and if you had to choose between any mix of satisfying amp, satisfying headphone, having both or one DSP options, and staying out of debt, then I was just making a suggestion that (maybe) would save you money.

Mad and Nameless both tested the Recon3D, and I think we all wanted it to be great, but as far as I could tell from their writing, neither of them had installed the Recon3D software and successfully changed the settings from stock. The Recon was especially disappointing for Nameless I think, because he wanted an external DSP that would fully work with his retro games on a laptop. I was going to send mine back if I didn't feel it made enough difference, as I've been playing games in stereo for 20 years, but I let the 30 days pass because I'm addicted :3 I feel that at least maxing the surround setting in the device preferences made a big difference from stock, like rear cues having the same spacial distance from my head as the other channels, an O shape instead of more like a D with rear cues sounding from inside my head at stock setting. Everyone hears these things differently though, hopefully headphone gaming will continue growing and we get more choices as consumers.

Edit: just noticed Mad changed his initial review of the Recon and had gotten the software working. Combining my experiences with his, and Many other things I've read, I bet the amp of the Recon3D has weak reserves and a higher output impedance than is strictly good. Don't have anything else to say about that, except I want to hear a Mixamp some day, and I'm looking forward to receiving my desktop amp, which I think will take anything and everything to the next level.

Hey Nameless!
I've been having a lot of fun playing Metro 2033 this weekend! I think the sound is pretty good, as well as all the other parts; I was so immersed that I literally jumped at least four times last night! If you can get a chance to play it, tell me if you like it, and if the gameplay reminds you of any other games :wink:

I've been enjoying my setup a lot lately, thanks for helping me try harder Mad :wink:

Oct 1, 2012 at 8:17 PM Post #7,942 of 48,566
Ok, back again. So I just did more research; and it seems that many people say that the Samson SR-850 are the better overall alternative to the AD700. I read that the 850s make up for the less comfort and slightly less sound stage with their superior bass, as compared to the 700s. Is there any truth to these statements? because if so, then I will probably go for the 850s.

Is Best Buy actually selling these for $19?!!!!!!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samson+-+SR850+Headphone+-+Black/5283847.p?id=1218664534299&skuId=5283847&st=sr850&cp=1&lp=2

Oct 1, 2012 at 9:42 PM Post #7,943 of 48,566
Quote:
Ok, back again. So I just did more research; and it seems that many people say that the Samson SR-850 are the better overall alternative to the AD700. I read that the 850s make up for the less comfort and slightly less sound stage with their superior bass, as compared to the 700s. Is there any truth to these statements? because if so, then I will probably go for the 850s.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samson+-+SR850+Headphone+-+Black/5283847.p?id=1218664534299&skuId=5283847&st=sr850&cp=1&lp=2

At $19 you might as well take a chance on that.

AD 700 vs CAL!: despite the differences in opinions, you can see that people agree on the CAL having more bass. Some genres of music you like need bass. I think the choice is quite clear, isn't it?

Oct 1, 2012 at 11:26 PM Post #7,945 of 48,566
Quote:

It's a Best Buy market place item - which is a lot like Amazon's system.  It's not Best Buy providing the product, but rather a market place on it's web site FOR another seller's product.  You might want to check their market place policy before ordering and make sure that the price will be honored.  I don't see why not, but just wanted to point out it's not Best Buy that is directly selling that product.  It's a independent seller using Best Buy's web presence to market to a larger customer base.

Just an FYI.

Oct 1, 2012 at 11:28 PM Post #7,946 of 48,566
Quote:

Yes, if the DSS isn't any cheaper than the mixamp, I would just get the mixamp.  In the US it's much cheaper than the mixamp used.

Oct 2, 2012 at 12:12 AM Post #7,947 of 48,566
Quote:
If it helps any, I don't think you're crazy. I know the logic in not buying something that you would be dissatisfied with and intend on upgrading from anyway. I just read that your budget was exploding (there's a reason for Head-Fi's traditional welcome, lol!), and if you had to choose between any mix of satisfying amp, satisfying headphone, having both or one DSP options, and staying out of debt, then I was just making a suggestion that (maybe) would save you money.
Mad and Nameless both tested the Recon3D, and I think we all wanted it to be great, but as far as I could tell from their writing, neither of them had installed the Recon3D software and successfully changed the settings from stock. The Recon was especially disappointing for Nameless I think, because he wanted an external DSP that would fully work with his retro games on a laptop. I was going to send mine back if I didn't feel it made enough difference, as I've been playing games in stereo for 20 years, but I let the 30 days pass because I'm addicted :3 I feel that at least maxing the surround setting in the device preferences made a big difference from stock, like rear cues having the same spacial distance from my head as the other channels, an O shape instead of more like a D with rear cues sounding from inside my head at stock setting. Everyone hears these things differently though, hopefully headphone gaming will continue growing and we get more choices as consumers.
Edit: just noticed Mad changed his initial review of the Recon and had gotten the software working. Combining my experiences with his, and Many other things I've read, I bet the amp of the Recon3D has weak reserves and a higher output impedance than is strictly good. Don't have anything else to say about that, except I want to hear a Mixamp some day, and I'm looking forward to receiving my desktop amp, which I think will take anything and everything to the next level.
Hey Nameless!
I've been having a lot of fun playing Metro 2033 this weekend! I think the sound is pretty good, as well as all the other parts; I was so immersed that I literally jumped at least four times last night! If you can get a chance to play it, tell me if you like it, and if the gameplay reminds you of any other games
wink.gif

I've been enjoying my setup a lot lately, thanks for helping me try harder Mad
wink.gif

I'll have you know that I did the vast majority of my PC testing with the software fully installed. You wouldn't get headphone surround or OpenAL support without that software!

I did find that maxing THX TruStudio Surround may have improved the front/rear positioning, but there were still some weird panning issues that don't happen with CMSS-3D Headphone.

Also, the main sticking point with retro game compatibility (chiefly Thief 1/2) is no longer an issue with those surprise patches implementing native OpenAL support. Still, Creative's software OpenAL renderer doesn't hold up to their hardware renderer.

As for Metro 2033, it's in my massive PC game library backlog thanks to the usual Steam sales. I have yet to actually install and play it, but word is that it'll really make me want to upgrade from the ol' 8800 GT already. (An upgrade I keep putting off because I keep buying audio equipment...and a better monitor...and, now, a colorimeter...)

Oct 2, 2012 at 12:42 AM Post #7,948 of 48,566
Got the HD 558's from the mail this morning along with red dead redemption and deus ex human revolution.
Only used these with red dead redemption but so far they sound awesome, I can hear things I never heard before in that game like the wind blowing birds chirping while I'm in a gunfight against bandits lol.

Also listening to this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5M4AM2D041o and again I can hear details I never heard before.

First impressions are that I'm really likeing these headphones, its my first pair of audiophile grade cans and I can see why these are well regarded. Can't really say anything bad about them so far they are very comfy with the velour padding  and I don't have the clamp issue that others have, (might be because I got it used) nor do I hear anything lacking in the bass.

Again I only been useing these for a day so I need more testing to see if these have any issues or not but so far of the 3 sets of cans that I owned (PX21 Siberia V2 and these) I say these are easily the best of them all.

Sorry if I'm describing this strangely, I don't really write impressions that much.

Oct 2, 2012 at 1:11 AM Post #7,949 of 48,566
The Superlux HD660 are good sounding headphones, but they are 150-Ohm.
William007, hopefully you have a decent amplifier to drive them.

At Thomann, in Europe they sell the Superlux HMD-660E, which is the HD660 with a built in mic.
I really recommend you get the Beyerdynamic Velour ear pads with them, really helps comfort wise.
(same Velour ear pads used on the Beyer DT770 or DT880/DT990)

It's not for me, it's for a friend i use my Wharfedale with my Schiit for gaming :wink: thanks anyway!

Oct 2, 2012 at 1:38 AM Post #7,950 of 48,566
Quote:
It's not for me, it's for a friend i use my Wharfedale with my Schiit for gaming
wink.gif
thanks anyway!

LOL I googled "Wharfedale Isodynamic"....

Holy crap those are ugly! 
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back