Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Sep 30, 2012 at 8:01 PM Post #7,892 of 48,566
Quote:
The Objective2, you mean? It's just a headphone amp that's been getting a lot of attention lately.

JDS Labs sells fully-assembled ones, but I don't know if they ship outside the US.

Prior to that, the go-to recommendation for a desktop amp was usually the FiiO E9. I'm not sure if that's still the case.

Damn, exploding my budget again :p

Quote:
Any chance you could add your location to your community profile?

I couldn't last time you asked, but now it's done :)

Quote:
Possible places that might stock the O2
  1. YoYoDyne Consulting (Canada)
  2. JDS Labs (USA)
  3. Epiphany Acoustics (UK)
  4. Head-N-HiFi (Switzerland)
  5. Audio Poutine (Canada Facebook Page)
Sometimes they are for sale on eBay and sometimes in the Head-fi thread "Amplifiers for Sale"

Thanks! looks like Epiphany Acoustics will be cheaper/easier for me.

So, I guess I'll buy the DT770 80ohm + X-Fi Titanium, and then see if I really need an amp or not.

The question is thus: How will I know if I really need the amp? Does it only affects the maximum volume, or does it also affects sound quality at the same volume?

Sorry for the silly question, but I'm still a newbie and keep reading contradictory information everywhere ^^'

Sep 30, 2012 at 8:10 PM Post #7,893 of 48,566
Ok, ok. One more question! Since I am on a budget ($150 MAX, and that's pushing it), should I go with the AD700 or the Creative Aruvana live. I'm mainly going to use the headphones for gaming and listening to music (many different genres). These will be hooked up to my X-fi titanium. Thanks again.

Sep 30, 2012 at 8:29 PM Post #7,894 of 48,566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mjonir /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Damn, exploding my budget again :p
I couldn't last time you asked, but now it's done :)
Thanks! looks like Epiphany Acoustics will be cheaper/easier for me.
So, I guess I'll buy the DT770 80ohm + X-Fi Titanium, and then see if I really need an amp or not.
The question is thus: How will I know if I really need the amp? Does it only affects the maximum volume, or does it also affects sound quality at the same volume?
Sorry for the silly question, but I'm still a newbie and keep reading contradictory information everywhere ^^'

I'm going to guess the DT770 Pro 80-Ohm should do at least decently well plugged into the TiHD.

Sep 30, 2012 at 8:40 PM Post #7,895 of 48,566
Quote:

Good question. I'd like to know the answer myself; to be frank, I'm not much of an audiophile amp sort of person, and the only reason I'd consider dropping hundreds of dollars on an amp is that my headphones of choice (Stax) require them to work at all.

What I do know, though, is that proper amplification is a matter of control over the headphone drivers, not sheer volume. The thing I don't know is how to tell whether a given headphone is out of control or not due to insufficient amplification.

Sep 30, 2012 at 9:10 PM Post #7,896 of 48,566
Sep 30, 2012 at 9:23 PM Post #7,897 of 48,566
Epiphany Acoustics also sells the O2 for the UK.

http://epiphany-acoustics.co.uk/our-products/heaphone-amplifiers/ehp-o2-portable-audio-headphone-amplifier/

Sep 30, 2012 at 9:26 PM Post #7,898 of 48,566
Quote:
Just don't get the O2 and the ODAC confused.  This link Epiphany Acoustics (UK) is for the ODAC, not the O2 amp.

I had copied the list from another site, did not check their links before posting.
try this link.
http://epiphany-acoustics.co.uk/our-products/heaphone-amplifiers/ehp-o2-portable-audio-headphone-amplifier/

Sep 30, 2012 at 9:46 PM Post #7,900 of 48,566
Quote:
Ok, ok. One more question! Since I am on a budget ($150 MAX, and that's pushing it), should I go with the AD700 or the Creative Aruvana live. I'm mainly going to use the headphones for gaming and listening to music (many different genres). These will be hooked up to my X-fi titanium. Thanks again.

Easiest way to decide is: do you plan to use the headphones on the go? At all? If you need any isolation at all, that rules out the AD700.

So boiled it down to 2 choices. Ether the FiiO E11 or mixamp pro(which I can only get though ebay right now),
Which of the 2 you thinks worth getting for console use?

I don't understand the question. Do you need virtual surround and chat, or do you just want to play games in stereo?

Sep 30, 2012 at 9:47 PM Post #7,901 of 48,566
Quote:
So boiled it down to 2 choices. Ether the FiiO E11 or Mix-amp Pro (which I can only get though eBay right now),
Which of the 2 you thinks worth getting for console use?

If you want surround sound, get the Miz-amp Pro.

Sep 30, 2012 at 9:56 PM Post #7,902 of 48,566
Mixamp Pro (or any rough equivalent) is the FIRST thing you should be getting for console headphone gaming. Virtual surround adds a whole new layer of immersion, which trumps any audiophile amp that just does stereo.

Sep 30, 2012 at 10:01 PM Post #7,904 of 48,566
Quote:

Quote:
Easiest way to decide is: do you plan to use the headphones on the go? At all? If you need any isolation at all, that rules out the AD70If

If the only factor put into consideration was simply sound quality for Gaming (most genres) and Music (many different genres), which would be best? Thank you. 

Sep 30, 2012 at 10:01 PM Post #7,905 of 48,566
mrkingdomhearts: Depends. But you do realise that this entire thread is about gaming with headphones, on virtual surround, right?

It really does depend, though. Do you play 1st-person or 3rd-person games? Those are better with virtual surround. 
RTS and top-down RPGs, probably not so much.

And what headphones do you have? MixAmp isn't a powerful amp, so depending on the headphones you might still need to buy another amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back