Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Sep 17, 2012 at 7:19 AM Post #7,593 of 48,562
I don't think so. We all play on varying consoles/PCs, so it's hard to have some form of structure, though I feel the Gamertag/Username/Friend code thread should be sticky-ed.

Sep 17, 2012 at 3:28 PM Post #7,596 of 48,562
Quote:
Hi!

Are there any possible good considerations for wireless headphones with mic for DH games ?

thanks in advance :)

Marcin

Find yourself a used Mixamp 5.8 and get the PC360. Any other system will either be trash or just be so locked down (in terms of options and upgrades) that it won't be worth the $200-$400 spent on them.

Sep 17, 2012 at 3:50 PM Post #7,597 of 48,562
Looks like there's another Dolby Headphone processor I didn't know about before: the Audio-Technica DWL3300.

At $500, it's a pretty expensive piece of kit, although still half the price of the Beyerdynamic Headzone (and a sixth of the Smyth Realiser A8's price).

The important thing is that it can decode DTS and apparently also works with any headphone you want, though it's bundled with an IEM by default.

Can someone out there review this thing already?

Sep 17, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #7,598 of 48,562
For that price, I'd buy a Harmin Kardon receiver with speakers and a pair of headphones.

Sep 17, 2012 at 5:28 PM Post #7,599 of 48,562
Oh, right. Almost forgot that you can easily buy a Harmon Kardon AVR 354 for that much.

I just tend to forget about A/V receivers sometimes because of the sheer weight and bulk. You already know how I keep this big 1980s receiver on my desk solely as a critical component of my headphone setup, at least while I'm trying to get a proper Stax amp.

(As an aside, have you installed Swapnote on your 3DS yet?)

Sep 17, 2012 at 5:52 PM Post #7,600 of 48,562
Quote:
Looks like there's another Dolby Headphone processor I didn't know about before: the Audio-Technica DWL3300.

At $500, it's a pretty expensive piece of kit, although still half the price of the Beyerdynamic Headzone (and a sixth of the Smyth Realiser A8's price).

The important thing is that it can decode DTS and apparently also works with any headphone you want, though it's bundled with an IEM by default.

Can someone out there review this thing already?

So you have to plug your headphones into the remote for it to work.  The remote IS the amplifier.  Why the heck is the transmitter so huge then!  I want that to be the amplifier.

Sep 17, 2012 at 6:03 PM Post #7,601 of 48,562
EVShrug, do you lik the Crystalizer on or off? I'm about to test it maxed out (compared to 65% in default, and fully off).

Testing the surround maxed, still doesn't compare to DH. I'm jumping directly from the Mixamp 5.8 to the Recon 3D (I have the Recon plugged in to the 5.8's optical bypass out, so it's easy to just unplug my E17 from the Recon to the Mixamp's Rx unit).

The Mixamp's positioning is noticeably superior, especially rear positional cues. They reach further back, no question.

Still the Recon is a pretty decent device. I just don't like that it's still has a distorted treble range. No matter what I do, menus fx like clicking on folders in Windows, or scrolling the XMB sounds grainy and processed.

Ironically, while playing games, the Recon has a non-processed sound.

If I give the positioning/soundstage on the Mixamp a 9 overall, the Recon gets a 7.5. The Recon's soundstage is pretty good to the sides and front, but not AS great on the back. I couldn't tell as I was playing until I plugged in the Mixamp, and was like 'whoa'. If the Mixamp's rear cues sound 6 feet from you, the Recon's sounds 2 feet away. However, you can still tell they're behind you, which is a good thing.

To those who own the Recon, positioning is fine. You will be immersed in games, and be able to tell where sounds are coming from. No worries there. The sound just isn't as spacious as Dolby Headphone.

edit: The crystalizer bumped up clarity like an EQ, but it made the soundstage smaller, and hurt positioning. I'd turn it off. I'd only use if paired up with overly smooth headphones in the treble range.

No matter what I do, the panning is still not as accurate as Dolby headphone. It pans very slowly at certain angles, then it jumps waaaay too quickly with any slight movement. Like say from 12 to 1 is fine, but then it jumps from 1 to 3 too quickly.

Sep 17, 2012 at 6:26 PM Post #7,602 of 48,562
Yeah, never turn Crystallizer on while gaming, actually never use it. In HRTF models it hurts the frequency curve and ruins the whole concept. 

What do you guys consider the best unamped headphone for Mixamp gaming? The T90s are too expensive to use as a Mixamp model only (sold them anyway), else they'd be the first choice.

Sep 17, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #7,603 of 48,562
The HD598/PC360/AD700 would be the holy trinity of competitive unamped gaming.

For fun, I'd say the D7000/Pro 900/DT990 32 ohm

This is when using the Mixamp only. The DT990/HD598 would benefit more than the rest from amping, but they sound damn good off the Mixamp alone for gaming.

If using a mic, I'd scratch off the 990s and HD598 as they can be insensitive when the Mixamp is performing double duty.

Oh yes, so the closest comparison I have for the Recon 3D's positioning is the SU-DH1 in DH1 mode (the smallest room size). The Recon's soundstage width is larger, but rear positioning depth is similar, and the SU-DH1's audio cue is easier to discern.

Actually, the Mixamp 5.8 has better depth than the SU-DH1 on DH2 mode. Again, I'm certain it's due to the amplification difference.

I'm gonna get started on the little reviews of the units soon enough. I feel I have used them enough.

Edit. First post updated with the Recond3D and SU-DH1

Sep 17, 2012 at 11:09 PM Post #7,604 of 48,562
whats the difference between using a mixamp on the pc and without it? 
cause my headset phones the same (a40). but thats cuse a40 headset is balls :/.
Also, would i need to leave off the virtual surround setting on my computer if i plug in my mixamp to pc?

Sep 17, 2012 at 11:21 PM Post #7,605 of 48,562
Your computer would need Dolby Digital Live encoding over optical for it to work on PC.  

Also something I feel I should point out: It's my understanding that the Wii U will not have optical out.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back