Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Sep 14, 2012 at 1:05 AM Post #7,576 of 48,566
Quote:
I love this quote. XD
The HE400 is what I consider the most well rounded can I've ever owned. I did call it the PC360 on steroids. However, that bass can and will hit fantastically if something asks for it. It will be nice and balanced 90% of the time, but put something bassy and OMGYES. Not DT990 or Pro 900 bass, but a very satisfying amount the vast majority of the time.

-bows-

I think if a person finds the bass on a HE-400 insufficient, he/she should just game with a Sony XB. And not bother with any MixAmp or equivalent. And downres all music to 320 kbps max. And sell all amps.

Sep 14, 2012 at 11:56 AM Post #7,578 of 48,566
I think they look sorta cool. Not sure about the inner yellow, but still one of SK's better designs. However, that price leads me to believe it's probably not good.

I no longer look at SK with disgust (they've changed from just selling utter crap), but I'm still iffy about headsets in general.

Sep 14, 2012 at 12:33 PM Post #7,579 of 48,566
I had some thoughts while reading through the last few pages.

If there isn't a list already, you head-fiers that have more experience testing out equipment and games should make a list of games that work well with DH or various types of surround. And maybe a list of games that don't work well with surround, that way people that come to this thread would have a nice list to test out their equipment. 

When I first started reading this thread I just assumed that you pick a surround device, plug in the heaset if it comes with one or use your audiophile cans of choice, start a game and play. Recently, there has been a lot of talk about tweaking settings (ie. Recon 3d). My PX5 let me tweak settings to the wireless headphones that came with it but there aren't really any settings if I'm using a nice wired set. My question is which way are you guys leaning? would you prefer the plug and play surround devices or the tweakable devices (if they are a viable alternative)?

Sep 14, 2012 at 2:08 PM Post #7,580 of 48,566
I had some thoughts while reading through the last few pages.

If there isn't a list already, you head-fiers that have more experience testing out equipment and games should make a list of games that work well with DH or various types of surround. And maybe a list of games that don't work well with surround, that way people that come to this thread would have a nice list to test out their equipment. 

When I first started reading this thread I just assumed that you pick a surround device, plug in the heaset if it comes with one or use your audiophile cans of choice, start a game and play. Recently, there has been a lot of talk about tweaking settings (ie. Recon 3d). My PX5 let me tweak settings to the wireless headphones that came with it but there aren't really any settings if I'm using a nice wired set. My question is which way are you guys leaning? would you prefer the plug and play surround devices or the tweakable devices (if they are a viable alternative)?

Well, my problem is I haven't heard a Mixamp, lol. So I don't know how my adjustments compare to the stock Mixamp (since I ended up happiest gaming with most of the special settings off, except for surround maxed and stock Clear Voice), but if the Mixamp sounds close to the DSS2...

I don't have every game, but the general consensus is First Person games have the most developed and precise audio. In the end, I'd say just play with games you like. I think, of the games I have, the surround effect is most distinct in Halo: Reach, with Oblivion in close 2nd (Fallout 3 is Superior too!), others favor Call of Duty: Black Ops or CoD4, or on the computer the Thief series, Battlefield 2, and the Dirt racing games are supposed to be exemplary, but as much as I love audio I still find other elements to be more important to a really great game.

Sep 14, 2012 at 2:24 PM Post #7,581 of 48,566
Is anyone else here going to be playing Borderlands 2? I pre-ordered mine and will be throwing all my free time at it come Tues. Does anyone know if the first one worked with DH? I really hope that 2 has a good DH presence.

Sep 14, 2012 at 3:01 PM Post #7,582 of 48,566
Is anyone else here going to be playing Borderlands 2? I pre-ordered mine and will be throwing all my free time at it come Tues. Does anyone know if the first one worked with DH? I really hope that 2 has a good DH presence.

Any game with surround sound works with DH, just some are better.

I played the first borderlands on 360, before I had surround. I'd like to play the sequel but without Xbox live at the moment I'm waiting to pick the game up. Loved the first one overall.

Sep 14, 2012 at 3:50 PM Post #7,583 of 48,566
I have the first one but I have never really been able to get overly excited about. My biggest problem with the first one was trying to figure out which zone I was support to go to and where to turn in quests once I completed them, maybe I was missing something. I have heard that playing with friends really opened the game up and made it 100x better. This time, I think I have my wife talked into playing with me as well as a close friend of mine and his girlfriend (she actually pre-ordered it because she loved the first so much 
eek.gif
).

About DH - I don't really remember reading anywhere about software setup for DH. I think I have seen you guys say to turn 5.1 surround on for the Xbox and that's all you have to do right? What about the PC? I'm just using the onbard sound but it is optical out - 7.1 CH HD Audio with Content Protection (Realtek ALC892 Audio Codec) , Premium Blu-ray audio support. (I know this thread isn't for PC so if you don't know just ignore this PC part)

Sep 14, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #7,585 of 48,566
If you could change the midbass for the dt990 Pros, what would your score be for competative?
these seem like the best option, and theyre cheaper than the other ones i wanted (q701 and pc360). 
The bass will not be a problem for me. Im trying to get as much accuracy in directionality as possible.

Sep 14, 2012 at 6:21 PM Post #7,586 of 48,566
Playstation Plus members get Borderlands for free! Downloaded it, and still don't care about it at all. I don't like open world, fetch questy games like this. Just like I don't like Fallout 3, Rage, etc. Borderlands was fine with DH. Not great, but fine.

As for 990 Pros, they'd probably get an 8 or 8.5 if it didn't have all that bass.

Sep 14, 2012 at 6:59 PM Post #7,587 of 48,566
Quote:

I have a free voucher that came with my GTX680 and may download it. I'm not to big on big open world gameplay.

Sep 15, 2012 at 4:06 AM Post #7,590 of 48,566
Well after alot of testing the recon3D usb out i would have to say its does work quite well and  if someone were to pick it over lets say dss2 or the astro mixamp i can't personaly say its far better or far worse than probably those or any other DH product.. I think it comes down to personal opinion and what your ears tell you is best..

My problem with the recon was that i thought it had issues at first only because i only play MW3 on xbox 360 console since jan this year...30 days playing time and i know i play it way too much "no life after work lol".

My issue again was the ingame volume for me kept going lower making audible footsteps of enemies confusing at times to locate in mw3 until it was too late to react but then at other times it was fine. I kept experiencing lowering volume then it taking forever to go from the low volume state to normal again or some sort of pumping action or compresion slow to normalize.. 

Now i realize also it happens  in the game chat lobby that the volume fluctuates up n down in SCOUT mode and THX and ever so slightly when both modes are deactivated.

@ MLE he's right MW3 does suck at postional audio cues but somehow the recon for me  does not work with mw3 at ALL. 

However i  did try ghost recon, blops, midnight club and a few movies on the recon and i'd have to say its no sloutch even though i thought in the beginning it was just another DH product which is to say the least, but its just very CUSTOMIZABLE..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back