Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Sep 13, 2012 at 8:16 AM Post #7,546 of 48,566
Wait.......... are you using a Mixamp AND the DSS2 at the same time?? Maybe the two processors are trying to calculate rear at the same time, one of them from the stereo signal... Also, the DSS2 is Turtle Beach's processor AFTER they lost/ stopped paying for the Dolby 7.1 to DH processing FWIR, so it may explain why the processing cues aren't particularly accurate. After all, it's not true channel-less 3D audio, like you can get on PC.
Most people agree that the DSS was better than the DSS2. Keep in mind, I'm just basing this off of Amazon reviews, not first-hand experience, though the only Head-Fi post I read on the subject seemed to confirm it.
I'm leeching a school wi-Fi right now, hopefully when I get home in two hours I'll get to play with Recon3D software settings. For example, I haven't found the FPS shooter preset yet, I'd be interested to see what settings it changes and the effect on sound. Also the changes from each setting, like the effect from the surround slider... I think the built in THX video-audio sample is a poor one, because most of the action sounds nice, but most things are placed in front of you. So I'll probably use cutscenes from Starcraft2, with mutalisks and banshees flying all around :)
Mad, do you have Reach? I do highly recommend testing the audio of that game... If you can't stand recharging shields (which CoD characters have anyway, just don't show it!), at least you should give the first mission's starting cutscene a listen. Back to front flying VTOLs, jeeps driving around, people talking with their backs turned, etc. Plus armored buttocks, of you're into that kind of thing :wink:
Edit: Also, too bad about your reference amp. I agree all those conversions can't be good. So, do you think I'm missing out with the Recon3D & I ought to return it and buy a DSS? Or just not have surround until I can afford a Mixamp, which will probably be a while with my GF's birthday present looking to be more expensive than a new pair of KSC75? (she really needs portable speakers loud enough to replace a crappy wal-mart boombox used to teach Zumba exercise, happen to have any suggestions?) I'm tempted still to just get one of those $30 eBay DSS and work with that till I can afford a NICE amp like an O2 or M-Stage like chicolom has... but I'm still happy with my Mac sound solution. :frowning2:

Yeah maybe I did not make it clear I do have both devices but don't use both at same time it's either one or the other.. The DSS2 does work but it could be better just based on the dsp thats under the hood but that's not the case. The dss2 has three eq settings that work for me and two surround angles only. Also If the dss2 had software that you could tweak your own settings I think it would be top dog over all others DH decoders but it doesn't.. Most of the eq presets sound sub par..

Sep 13, 2012 at 10:43 AM Post #7,547 of 48,566
Quote:
No problem, Scylin.
smily_headphones1.gif

For those in the US, the Best Buy website has the AX720 for $109 right now...
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Tritton-Technologies---AX-720-Gaming-Audio-System-for-Xbox,-PS3-and-Mac/Windows/9466124.p?id=1218109500597&skuId=9466124
Pretty sure you get the newer AX720s, and not the ones shown.
If you do not have a Dolby Headphone device, you definitely should jump on this in a mad hurry. DH amp + decent headset (Gaming headset standards, not Head-fi standards) for $109 is seriously worth getting.

Not bad at all, I talked my work into buying one of these to see if we could get the mic to work with our wireless transmitter/receiver units but it was too sensitive and would pickup every little noise around it. Worked out for me tho because I was able to take it home after playing with it and its connected to my computer now. The proprietary cable that you have to use with the box is annoying and there are not enough hookups for my liking on the box itself but it sounds just fine. 
Anyone have any experience with the Sennheiser PC 350 headsets? I'm curious what the difference in sound is vs the PC 360, is it just closed vs open?

Sep 13, 2012 at 10:59 AM Post #7,548 of 48,566
IF it was just closed vs open, that is in itself like having two completely different headphones. You can't ever think a closed headphone will ever compare to an open one. The closest experience for me would be the DT770 and DT880/990. They are very different despite retaining the Beyer sound signature.

The Pro 900 and Pro 2900 is my other experience, but they did sound similar, albeit with the Pro 900 having a LOT more bass. However, I felt the Pro 2900 to have a very closed sound, despite being open. I blame the cup design. It's vented, but it's largely covered in the center. They are the closest thing I've seen to semi-open.

Well that, and the A40s with the speaker tags removed, but the tags don't seem to do anything to the sound. They sound closed no matter what.

Sep 13, 2012 at 11:23 AM Post #7,550 of 48,566
Are you asking which amp I prefer?  Because I've only heard the M-stage.  I can't speak for any of the others, but people seem to like the O2 as well.

Yeah, just asking if you would still choose the same amp if you had to start over.

As far as Recon3D vs Mixamp, I decided that even if it has only an estimated 75% performance of the Mixamp, it only cost about 50%. Since it acts as a soundcard for my Mac too, well... I'm happy with it. I didn't get a chance to play around with settings last night because I was being a good doobie and helping out my girlfriend instead, but if I ever reliably replicate the random EQ glitching and demonstrably fix it via tweaking or customer support, I'll report back.

I did notice a performance boost gaming on my computer. The Recon3D may not have the XRAM (at least advertised) as the best X-Fi models, but it definitely handles all the audio processing because I maxed out my sound quality settings (normaly CPU intensive) on Starcraft2 (a particularly CPU intensive game, especially in longer matches with big armies) and get great framerates (except when playing an opponent with a laggy Internet connection). My computer has an Intel core i3 2105 CPU, Nvidia GeForce GTS 250 GPU, 1080p monitor, an SSD (which just affects loading times), and 8GB RAM. A fine mid-fi platform if I do say so myself.

Mad,
The Q701 is considered a semi-open headphone. IMO it's a barely kind of thing, like maybe just a technicality, but still.

Sep 13, 2012 at 12:57 PM Post #7,551 of 48,566
The Q701 is as open as it gets. Ironically, they advertise the K701 as open. They're essentially the same headphone, bar some sonic variation.

Sep 13, 2012 at 1:09 PM Post #7,552 of 48,566
Quote:
Yeah, just asking if you would still choose the same amp if you had to start over.
As far as Recon3D vs Mixamp, I decided that even if it has only an estimated 75% performance of the Mixamp, it only cost about 50%. Since it acts as a soundcard for my Mac too, well... I'm happy with it. I didn't get a chance to play around with settings last night because I was being a good doobie and helping out my girlfriend instead, but if I ever reliably replicate the random EQ glitching and demonstrably fix it via tweaking or customer support, I'll report back.
I did notice a performance boost gaming on my computer. The Recon3D may not have the XRAM (at least advertised) as the best X-Fi models, but it definitely handles all the audio processing because I maxed out my sound quality settings (normaly CPU intensive) on Starcraft2 (a particularly CPU intensive game, especially in longer matches with big armies) and get great framerates (except when playing an opponent with a laggy Internet connection). My computer has an Intel core i3 2105 CPU, Nvidia GeForce GTS 250 GPU, 1080p monitor, an SSD (which just affects loading times), and 8GB RAM. A fine mid-fi platform if I do say so myself.
Mad,
The Q701 is considered a semi-open headphone. IMO it's a barely kind of thing, like maybe just a technicality, but still.

I know you was asking chicolom but If I had to do it over again, I wouldn't had got the Matrix M-Stage . I would had actually got the NFB-12 that I have now then like I wanted. As I was close to getting one before the I got the M-stage but at the time was short on shipping when I was trying to get it from another user on this forum. 

The Matrix M-Stage wasn't a bad amp, I enjoyed every bit of it. But If i could rewind time. I would stop my self and get what I have now that i was at the time trying todo but short by like 3 dollars. But I couldn't wait to get those 3 dollars.

Sep 13, 2012 at 2:56 PM Post #7,553 of 48,566
Anybody have any ideas about how the HD700 performs for gaming? I have an incredible opportunity to get these at a fantastic price. The other pair that I've come across a great deal for is the W1000X. If anyone has any clue as to how these might game, let me know. Thanks!

Sep 13, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #7,554 of 48,566
I know you was asking chicolom but If I had to do it over again, I wouldn't had got the Matrix M-Stage . I would had actually got the NFB-12 that I have now then like I wanted. As I was close to getting one before the I got the M-stage but at the time was short on shipping when I was trying to get it from another user on this forum. 

The Matrix M-Stage wasn't a bad amp, I enjoyed every bit of it. But If i could rewind time. I would stop my self and get what I have now that i was at the time trying todo but short by like 3 dollars. But I couldn't wait to get those 3 dollars.

Haven't even heard of that amp, but I guess it's in the same family as Mad's amp too. Is it really just a $3 difference? Lol. But sadly, I may have to wait... I was talking about gf gifts, bills, wanting to move & save for a car... Well, on my way between jobs today (first day at the radio station!), my transmission started slamming into gear from full stops :frowning2: it's probably going to cost so much that it'll be totaled now.

Anybody have any ideas about how the HD700 performs for gaming? I have an incredible opportunity to get these at a fantastic price. The other pair that I've come across a great deal for is the W1000X. If anyone has any clue as to how these might game, let me know. Thanks!

Well geez, the HD700 are supposed to be most of the way to the HD800, open, great soundstage, so even without hearing them, if you can get them at a steal, they'll greatly outperform Astros or the other headphones you originally considered when you first got here :) You might be the one to write the gaming review on them. In light of my financial emergency, however, I will say make sure you aren't overreaching your budget. Also, while music audio is increasing with the sky as the limit, gaming audio has in a few cases taken a step back, and consoles are even more limited than computer gaming. But yeah, those HD700 may be your forever cans. The W1000X are very luxurious, but you gotta know what you're getting into with the headband, closed back, and the highly likely obsessive habit of cleaning and polishing them, probably best for music and for someone who is experienced to know what sound signature they are looking for.

Sep 13, 2012 at 3:46 PM Post #7,555 of 48,566
My water pump just dropped all my fluid a few days ago. Time to replace it and the timing belt... all without knowing if I'll have work in a few weeks.

I may have to sell my NFB5 to keep me from going utterly broke. I'm quite happy with the E17 for now.

Sep 13, 2012 at 3:52 PM Post #7,556 of 48,566
Lol thanks, wouldn't think the beyers would beat the K702... but the HD800 i'd understand.

I hope you know that I don't even use a soundcard anymore! Upgraded my computer and now the motherboard doesn't even have a PCI slot for the soundcard to go in. So I need a card such as the Asus Xonar Essence STX, for it to fit into my computer, although its tight as I have my cards in SLI. 

I have my Matrix M-Stage (AMP) and FiiO E17 (DAC) into my computer, and thats all i use , out of the headphones I use my AKG K702 or HE-400, all other things in my signature are either stored away or  not used at all anymore. Apart from the ASTRO Mixamp which is only used for the PS3. Infact I don't even use Dolby Headphone on the computer, ever. I find it ruins the sound for games that I play. I only use DH on the PS3 , and its definitely a improvement on that.

Quote:
They are both better in both 
bigsmile_face.gif
 although the K702 is very good in itself already. You can do competitive with all three. Now fun is a nother thing, that's where I consider subass, soundstage, imaging, separation the winners. 

I'd say you get a better soundcard in the future and keep your current collection (if you want to go way down then get the HD800 - no prisoners). Watch out for the new Creative Lineup coming in December, they are very confident about it in the way they used to when they introduced the x-fi to the world. 

Sep 13, 2012 at 3:55 PM Post #7,557 of 48,566
My water pump just dropped all my fluid a few days ago. Time to replace it and the timing belt... all without knowing if I'll have work in a few weeks.
I may have to sell my NFB5 to keep me from going utterly broke. I'm quite happy with the E17 for now.

Spring is for cleaning, apparently now is Fall Fixing season. Glad you're happy with the FiiO, and that audio gear is easy to flip when you have the need.

Sep 13, 2012 at 4:52 PM Post #7,558 of 48,566
Quote:
Haven't even heard of that amp, but I guess it's in the same family as Mad's amp too. Is it really just a $3 difference? Lol. But sadly, I may have to wait... I was talking about gf gifts, bills, wanting to move & save for a car... Well, on my way between jobs today (first day at the radio station!), my transmission started slamming into gear from full stops
frown.gif
it's probably going to cost so much that it'll be totaled now.
Well geez, the HD700 are supposed to be most of the way to the HD800, open, great soundstage, so even without hearing them, if you can get them at a steal, they'll greatly outperform Astros or the other headphones you originally considered when you first got here
smily_headphones1.gif
You might be the one to write the gaming review on them. In light of my financial emergency, however, I will say make sure you aren't overreaching your budget. Also, while music audio is increasing with the sky as the limit, gaming audio has in a few cases taken a step back, and consoles are even more limited than computer gaming. But yeah, those HD700 may be your forever cans. The W1000X are very luxurious, but you gotta know what you're getting into with the headband, closed back, and the highly likely obsessive habit of cleaning and polishing them, probably best for music and for someone who is experienced to know what sound signature they are looking for.

When I said 3 dollars short, I meant from buying it from a user prior to me getting that Matrix M-Stage. I didn't mean from audio-GD them selves.  Before I got the M-Stage I was in the middle of getting the NFB-12 from another user on these forums but was short 3 dollars to pay for the shipping from the person. Which why I ended up with the Matrix M-Stage instead.  Kinda what happens when your impaction and want something to come now and not a couple day later.

Edit: Now I have to hope I don't flip any more gear my self. Because I been doing that alot lately. I surf the forums then I see some other headphone that peak my inerest or gear. Then in up selling what I have just to add with whatever money i save just to get it. Just because I got curious. Same with sources. This time I making sure i don't do that to the NFB-12 I have or this A900X. It was already bad enough I did that with computer hardware mainly graphics cards.

Sep 13, 2012 at 6:01 PM Post #7,559 of 48,566
Quote:
The Q701 is as open as it gets. Ironically, they advertise the K701 as open. They're essentially the same headphone, bar some sonic variation.

Don't forget the Q badges - they completely change the sound and add bass and warmth while converting it to semi-open.  > That was sarcasm in case anyone missed ii - the Q badges don't change the sound at all.

Semi-open is sort of a grey area category, and there aren't as many headphones marketed as "semi-open" open and closed.  DT880 and K240 are marketed as semi-open.  Basically they have some holes poked in the grills, but less than an "open" headphone does. 

I think part of "semi-open" is actual sound design, but part of it is just a marketing term to make you think your getting the best of open and closed in the same headphone.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by genclaymore /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Keep in mind, I built my setup around the Q701s, and I'd read only positive impressions on pairing the M-stage with the x70x.  It was the go-to recommendation for x70x amps in that price range.  I'd also read around and gotten the consensus that in general stand-alone DACs performed a bit better than integrated setups, so I was mainly looking at pure desktop amps. 

I was also intrigued by op-amp rolling in the M-stage.  Reading the threads I got impression that you could make the amp warm or cold, increase the soundstage, change the detail, etc. all by changing the op-amp. 
In reality, it's a waste of time IMO.  I can't tell the difference between any of them.  Don't bother with this.

I was seriously considering the Audio GD gear when I was shopping for amps, but none of them took analog inputs.  That includes the NFB 12.  That meant I couldn't pair any of them with my mixamp.  I didn't want to spend $250+ on a box and not be able to use it with all of my gear, so I crossed them off my list.  I was also a bit wary of how ridiculous the signal path looks when you open up the lid on some of the audio GD's (some people say shorter path is better).

I don't know if any of the current Audio-GD gear takes analog inputs.  Pretty sure MLE has said his doesn't...

The O2 wasn't out yet when I was shopping for amps.  I'm guessing I would be fine with the O2 sonically, but I hate the physical design.  It's trying to be half portable and half desktop amp, but all the plugs are on the front faceplate.  That really bothers me - the power cord should always be on the back of an amp IMO.   I'm really hoping the ODA if/when it comes out has the in-out plugs designed like a normal desktop amp.

[size=11.0pt] E9,  Lovely Cube, Sheer Audio HA-006+, Heed CanAmp, Schiit Lyr & Asgard, Burson amps, Violectric amps[/size]

So yes, if I had to start over, I still think the M-stage is a good choice, for a standalone desktop amp.  The O2 is probably also solid, but like I said I hate the design of it - I still have hope for the ODA though.  The E9k is solid and oh-so cheap.  I still wouldn't consider audio GD's unless they take analog inputs. 

A lot of headphones probably don't need this much amp, and you can get by with smaller/cheaper setups.  My E10 is great and I use it all the time.  However, the Q701 is one headphone that deserves to have a desktop amp IMO.

Sep 13, 2012 at 6:05 PM Post #7,560 of 48,566
Quote:

I was also intrigued by op-amp rolling in the M-stage.  Reading the threads I got impression that you could make the amp warm or cold, increase the sound stage, change the detail, etc. all by changing the op-amp. 
In reality, it's a waste of time IMO.  I can't tell the difference between any of them.  Don't bother with this.

When I rolled op-amps in The M-Stage as well the Fiio E9 I had before including the many sound cards I had prior that also  had op-amp sockets. I rolled many op-amps and it was easy for me to tell the differences of them. Because ones like LT1364's LT1213ACN8 and OPA2111AM just to name few sound nothing like each other and had different sound signatures. I know it isn't placebo as i seen quiet a few of people usually say when I mention about rolling op-amps. But  than each person ears are different as what one person doesn't hear another one does.  Because I can't stand the way the OPA2134 sound with it sound signature that both Fiio E9 and Matrix M-Stage used.And I can easy spot it being used as it bothers me that much with the way it does to the sound stage and the mids that I don't like.  Plus I couldn't enjoy the E9 or the M-Stage til I take that OPA2134 out and place something else in it spot. LT1364 like I mention which i used for the AKG K702 I had, LT1124ACN8 that I used with the DT880 pro-250 as well.

I usually spend a good week listening to a op-amp before I change it, or in this case Digital Fliter setting on the NFB-12. I have good memory how things sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

• wmf
Back