Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Sep 8, 2012 at 7:33 AM Post #7,426 of 48,562
Quote:
Just a heads up to anyone that wants a cheap solution to get DH on your PC. There's a few of the Plantronics Gamecom 777 usb adapters on ebay from around $9-$15 shipped and it does do DH. I have had the dongle since I bought that headset a couple years ago and works fine (never really used it since I mainly game on consoles).

Side note: This dongle processes audio to DH only by going from Dolby Pro Logic II -> 5.1 -> Dolby headphone. This is something I just realized when I was reading into it today. This only accepts 2 channel audio and there's no way to set it up to take in a pure 5.1 audio stream. But for the most part, it still works fine when testing this with the 5.1 mix of Gunbuster and setting the output as DPLII with ac3filter.

nice find but there has to be a way also to get that dongle to do ddl---> 5.1 dolby headphone because that chip thats inside  the housing of the dongle is the same chip that the mixamp uses go figure!

Just imagine if someone could do a hack to get that to work you would have a very inexpensive mixamp minus the chat though for consoles..

Sep 8, 2012 at 8:11 AM Post #7,427 of 48,562
Ok, I've been give a pair of HD 800 over the weekend and after trying BF3, Thief 3 with EAX HD, Dark Souls, Third Age Total War with EAX HD, Max Payne 3, GRID, Ghost Recon Future Soldier I declare the HD 800 as king of kings.

The same goes for comfort. I have never had a pair of headphones that does fit so well and cause nothing.

It's the best soundstage I have ever heard, I don't know about SR009 but all the opinions of others are true. It's not only wide but also has incredible depth and clear posiitoning. The T90 is already very great for gaming but the HD 800 is king. 

Sep 8, 2012 at 12:40 PM Post #7,429 of 48,562
I received my recon3D usb used 9-5-12 and its seems either its defective or its junk.. For some reason it works with music sort of ok but with ddl from xbox-360 it sucks.

The audio keeps going very low like someone has pressed a volume reducing button while online gaming but when the match is over and your back in main chat game lobby its fine.

I tried to turn the ingame volume almost all the way down then compensate by turning amp volume up on my amp but  the volume still goes low or kinda like pumps from normal to low volume output in scout  mode or thx.. Anyone that has this device have similar problems?

Sep 8, 2012 at 3:09 PM Post #7,431 of 48,562
How does the HD800 and T90 compare to to the AKG K702s, is it similar or on another level??? (assuming you have tried them)
€Quote:
Ok, I've been give a pair of HD 800 over the weekend and after trying BF3, Thief 3 with EAX HD, Dark Souls, Third Age Total War with EAX HD, Max Payne 3, GRID, Ghost Recon Future Soldier I declare the HD 800 as king of kings.

The same goes for comfort. I have never had a pair of headphones that does fit so well and cause nothing.

It's the best soundstage I have ever heard, I don't know about SR009 but all the opinions of others are true. It's not only wide but also has incredible depth and clear posiitoning. The T90 is already very great for gaming but the HD 800 is king. 

Sep 8, 2012 at 4:49 PM Post #7,432 of 48,562
I received my recon3D usb used 9-5-12 and its seems either its defective or its junk.. For some reason it works with music sort of ok but with ddl from xbox-360 it sucks.

The audio keeps going very low like someone has pressed a volume reducing button while online gaming but when the match is over and your back in main chat game lobby its fine.

I tried to turn the ingame volume almost all the way down then compensate by turning amp volume up on my amp but  the volume still goes low or kinda like pumps from normal to low volume output in scout  mode or thx.. Anyone that has this device have similar problems?

Might be the 'Scout' mode messing with things. Turn it off.

Sep 8, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #7,433 of 48,562

Hmm, that hasn't happened to me at all. I don't understand why you thought turning in-game volume so low would help (I only do that when chat volume through "speakers" is too quiet compared to the game sound), so maybe I don't fully understand, but my suggestion would be to see if the problem persists with THX, Scout, and plain mode. Also, connect the Recon3D to a computer you have the drivers installed on and check to see if you have a "smart volume" feature enabled... In game sounds are always louder than lobby sound in my experience, so maybe the Recon3D is getting confused?

Your described issue doesn't happen to me in any mode, even though I barely changed any THX settings from stock when I hooked it up to my computer. Test a few more variables and let us know how it goes, and what Creative's customer support says. Good luck!

Sep 9, 2012 at 5:57 AM Post #7,434 of 48,562
Would love to see how the new Beyerdynamic Custom One PRO headphones stack up to your comparison once released. Maybe if you get around to it :wink:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/604570/beyerdynamic-custom-ones-new-beyer-headphones

Sep 9, 2012 at 7:08 AM Post #7,435 of 48,562
I notice in the first post, you're not sure on how the hiss coming out the DSS behaves exactly?  I can test this for you.  

I feel like this guide could use a list of receivers with Dolby Headphone/Silent Cinema.  Not necessarily a test, just an overview of what's out there, perhaps along with what you need to connect a mic to an Xbox 360, and maybe the one component you need to connect to a PS3.

Sep 9, 2012 at 7:15 AM Post #7,436 of 48,562
How does the HD800 and T90 compare to to the AKG K702s, is it similar or on another level??? (assuming you have tried them)

They are both better. The T90 has a remarkable subbass that gives you the chills in brooding games like Dark Souls and it's soundstage is more spacious 3D than the K702. No problems with pinpoint accuracy either. Of course both are more expensive and for gaming alone I wouldn't stretch out that far. 

While the Mixamp can feed the T90 rather good I wouldn't use both for consoles as they are overkill. Use them in a high quality soundcard or processed DHP/CMSS-3D SPDIF -> DAC -> HPA.

Sep 9, 2012 at 7:30 AM Post #7,437 of 48,562
Got a 3DS. MAN, the volume is lacking... both my UE500 and HE400 are very low in volume even maxed, and even with the E17 MAXED at +12 gain, the HE400 is barely to the point where I'd say it's moderately loud.

Sep 9, 2012 at 9:43 AM Post #7,438 of 48,562
Quote:
Might be the 'Scout' mode messing with things. Turn it off.

I tried that already but no luck
Quote:
Hmm, that hasn't happened to me at all. I don't understand why you thought turning in-game volume so low would help (I only do that when chat volume through "speakers" is too quiet compared to the game sound), so maybe I don't fully understand, but my suggestion would be to see if the problem persists with THX, Scout, and plain mode. Also, connect the Recon3D to a computer you have the drivers installed on and check to see if you have a "smart volume" feature enabled... In game sounds are always louder than lobby sound in my experience, so maybe the Recon3D is getting confused?
Your described issue doesn't happen to me in any mode, even though I barely changed any THX settings from stock when I hooked it up to my computer. Test a few more variables and let us know how it goes, and what Creative's customer support says. Good luck!

The reason why i turn the in game volume down is because my thinking was that it was clipping or something like getting to much gain but that was not the case . Even with the ingame volume turned almost all the way down the volume still fluctuated kinda like a pumping sound sensation "compresion"  going from normal then to very low.. This happens in either scout mode or thx but i have not tried to turn off the smart volume i will try that today..

All drivers are up to date and i also would like to say that sometimes the control panel wigs out and i have to unplug then recconect it to computer to make the settings reappear in the control panel sometimes it just goes blank..

Sep 9, 2012 at 10:33 AM Post #7,439 of 48,562
Both better in fun or competitive ?  I tend to go for the competitive you see, directional cues etc are vital, so soundstaging, imaging is a must. I use the PC primarily, but do use consoles so that isn't a problem. Just would like to know how they compare, as if I was to stretch out that far in the future, i'd like to know which is to more of my taste, although it indeed is definitely overkill.
Quote:

They are both better. The T90 has a remarkable subbass that gives you the chills in brooding games like Dark Souls and it's soundstage is more spacious 3D than the K702. No problems with pinpoint accuracy either. Of course both are more expensive and for gaming alone I wouldn't stretch out that far. 

While the Mixamp can feed the T90 rather good I wouldn't use both for consoles as they are overkill. Use them in a high quality soundcard or processed DHP/CMSS-3D SPDIF -> DAC -> HPA.

Sep 9, 2012 at 10:37 AM Post #7,440 of 48,562
Quote:
First page is your friend... and so is MLE for writing the guide. 
Mixamp, AX720 Decoder box, DSS/DSS2, Recon, reciever with DH/SC, Headzone amp all have their positives/negatives. Give more information and you'll be rewarded with a better recommendation based on your needs:
What system are you going to be playing on?
How important is voice chat?
How much is your budget?

Sorry, I did specify but that was a few pages back. I'm looking for a Dolby Headphone solution for both PC and console. I have read the guide which mentions that the DSS is discontinued and the DSS2 doesn't support Dolby Headphone. I would also like the ability to mix voice in since the Xbox voice volume is low even at highest. That said I also want an EQ to drop the bass on the DT770s for competitive games, which the Astros and AX720s don't have. The Headzone is well out of my league.

So basically I'm looking at the Astros as a second best for my needs, and they are about as much as I can afford. Unless anyone can recommend some other device which encompasses everything?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back