Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jun 28, 2012 at 4:29 AM Post #5,971 of 48,562
Quote:

Exactly that setup.

That's how I roll.

Quote:
If you're talking about BLOPS, you absolutely need Ninja Pro, or you will not really hear footsteps. If they also have Ninja Pro, you're screwed.
Lots of games do not ever emphasize footsteps, so you won't hear them ever. Soundwhoring isn't what it used to be. Nowadays, you should listen more to other sounds others make, like gun fire, reloading, planting a claymore, etc.

Eh. MW3 really screwed the pooch. If you have SitRep Pro you can hear anyones footsteps loud as **** and it even cancels out dead silence pro. lol Pretty stupid IMHO.

Yeah I play Ops but I've noticed even with pro it isn't as loud as I would want and most footsteps get drowned out by gunfire. Is there a way to target certain sounds to make them higher? Possibly an amp with it's own EQ?

Now I will say these headphones are absolutely amazing with Search and Destroy!

Jun 28, 2012 at 10:20 AM Post #5,973 of 48,562
Quote:
Decided to get the O2 amp for desktop use and I tried Skyrim last night to bi-amp the Q701 with the Mixamp pro, and I have to say the soundstage and positioning was a lot better than thru Mixamp alone.  Maybe it's new toy placebo effect, but I'm now convinced the Q701 definitely benefits from more power.

Hey IronSnake,

I want to "test" the Q701 with an amp, via Amazon, before I take the leap into getting one from JDSLabs (given the return stocking fee). Would the E11 be 'good' enough to try a amp-less verse amp-ed Q701?

More info of why I'm doing it here:

My Q701s and Titanium HD should be arriving tomorrow. 

I've additionally decided to order the following:
* Beyerdynamic DT990 Premium - ~$200 *amp needed*
* Ultrasone Pro 550 - ~$150 *no amp needed*
* Headphone Amplifier ( need a suggestion here, preferably something sold directly by Amazon.com ... I wanted to get the E9, but its only fullfilled by Amazon, making returns potentially hard? )

So, my reasoning is quite simple. Given I'm a noob, and frankly after reading a billion threads and getting tons of advice from folks, I really just want to take what I believe are the "best" suggestions... and try them myself. 

I will use the Q701 as my "baseline" along with my MixAmp. 
I will then follow this up with the Q701 plus a dedicated Amp. I will then note the improvements I see.
I will then try the DT990s with the dedicated Amp. I will compare how it sounds to the Q701s, in relation to games, movies and music. Is the more "bassiness" of these worth it over the Q701s? We'll see.
I will then try on the Ulrasone Pro 550s to answer the question -- compared to the "better" headphones that require amping, how does this thing compare? This will help me understand whether I can justify a few hundred extra dollars for better equipment.

I will be testing with the following:

Games
Bioshock - Perhaps my favorite sounding game when it comes to "mood"
Counter Strike Source - When it comes to positional cues, this is probably the best game to test with I would figure
Battlefield 3 - Position cues mixed with BASS from all the carnage taking place in the game

Movies
Inception
Iron Man

Music
Dub Step
Vocal Trance
Modern Rock (various)
Hip Hop (various)

I will then proceed to turn the two headphones that don't fit the bill, along with the amp. If my headphone of choice requires an amp, I'll invest in a quality one that I'd expect to last few years. 

This is all with the assumption, based on other threads, that Amazon is pretty lenient with return policies. 

tldr: After getting my Q701 tomorrow, I'll be ordering two more mics and an amp to test how they compare to it. 

Jun 28, 2012 at 1:40 PM Post #5,974 of 48,562
Quote:
Hey IronSnake,

I want to "test" the Q701 with an amp, via Amazon, before I take the leap into getting one from JDSLabs (given the return stocking fee). Would the E11 be 'good' enough to try a amp-less verse amp-ed Q701?

Don't bother with the E11 as when I compared it against the O2, it actually makes the sound worse.  I only use the E11 paired with my Koss Pro DJ100 for fun listening.  Keep in mind though plenty of folks use it with E11 and they are perfectly fine with the Q701, but for what I heard, I'm will be bi-amping with the O2 from now on even without a mic in the mix.

Jun 28, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #5,975 of 48,562
Quote:

Don't bother with the E11 as when I compared it against the O2, it actually makes the sound worse.  I only use the E11 paired with my Koss Pro DJ100 for fun listening.  Keep in mind though plenty of folks use it with E11 and they are perfectly fine with the Q701, but for what I heard, I'm will be bi-amping with the O2 from now on even without a mic in the mix.

Hmm, aside from the E11 - what else would be worth trying out, prior to an O2?

I'm actually using the Q701 right now, unamped into a Titanium HD, and it sounds "fine" :) Then again, I don't know how it sounds 'amped' yet. 

P.S. I have a mixamp too, but it doesnt seem to make a difference with the Q701s.

Jun 28, 2012 at 2:14 PM Post #5,976 of 48,562
Quote:

Quote:
Hey IronSnake,

More info of why I'm doing it here:

Don't even waste your money. My buddy showed me the O2 amp and Q701 combo over on D2JSP.org's computer thread forum and now it's spreading like a wild fire over here. That O2 amp alone makes the sound so crisp and beautiful, but with coupled with a mix amp for DH the experience is like being stoned and listening to Jimmy Hendrix Experience... amazing. 

Video Game Source > MixAmp > O2 Amp > AKG x0x = Profit.

I have quite a few wires but with some cable ties you can tighty it up. This is my setup.

Mix amp connected via TOS cable to the xbox.
Xbox to a 42" LG via Monster's Theater Quality HDMI cable (shielded - etc)
Ant Lion Mic to MixAmp via splitter with a 3.5mm M2M cable going into the O2 Amp.
2.5mm M2M cable from controller to mixamp.
From that 3.5mm M2M cable I have gain on the amp turned ON with the amp about half way to 3/4 way turned up.
Then from the O2 amp to my Q701s with the Ant Lion mic attached.

All in all.
LG TV > HDMI Xbox > TOS > Mix Amp > Splitter to O2 amp and HP > O2 Amp to HP.

DH is turned on, Astro MixAmp Pro sound is little over half way, and game volume is about 40-60% depending on game.

I've been mucking with the sound for the past two weeks + trying to get the best sound I can via volume control and whether or not to use the MixAmp directly, cut it out, use both, etc. Best setup is Xbox > TOS > MixAmp DH on > O2 Amp gain on > Q701.

Jun 28, 2012 at 2:19 PM Post #5,977 of 48,562
Quote:

Don't even waste your money. My buddy showed me the O2 amp and Q701 combo over on D2JSP.org's computer thread forum and now it's spreading like a wild fire over here. That O2 amp alone makes the sound so crisp and beautiful, but with coupled with a mix amp for DH the experience is like being stoned and listening to Jimmy Hendrix Experience... amazing. 

Video Game Source > MixAmp > O2 Amp > AKG x0x = Profit.

I have quite a few wires but with some cable ties you can tighty it up. This is my setup.

Mix amp connected via TOS cable to the xbox.
Xbox to a 42" LG via Monster's Theater Quality HDMI cable (shielded - etc)
Ant Lion Mic to MixAmp via splitter with a 3.5mm M2M cable going into the O2 Amp.
2.5mm M2M cable from controller to mixamp.
From that 3.5mm M2M cable I have gain on the amp turned ON with the amp about half way to 3/4 way turned up.
Then from the O2 amp to my Q701s with the Ant Lion mic attached.

All in all.
LG TV > HDMI Xbox > TOS > Mix Amp > Splitter to O2 amp and HP > O2 Amp to HP.

DH is turned on, Astro MixAmp Pro sound is little over half way, and game volume is about 40-60% depending on game.

I've been mucking with the sound for the past two weeks + trying to get the best sound I can via volume control and whether or not to use the MixAmp directly, cut it out, use both, etc. Best setup is Xbox > TOS > MixAmp DH on > O2 Amp gain on > Q701.

Oh yeah and the best setup is to nix the splitter and have the 3.5 M2M cable go straight from the mix amp to the O2 amp with no chat. Unplug the 2.5 cable and turn game volume all the way up so it doesn't have to divide for chat. Works great on S&D.

Jun 28, 2012 at 2:38 PM Post #5,978 of 48,562
Not sure what you mean by wasting money :) I was going to return the E11 afterwards. I just wanted to try the Q701 to see if amping helped, before buying the O2 which has a 15% restocking fee... if it wasn't good.

P.S. O2 + Q701 combo is all over the place, recommended. Including OCN for a few months, prior to and after its release.

Jun 28, 2012 at 3:40 PM Post #5,980 of 48,562
That was an awesome guide Mad Lust Envy, thank You i have already read it like 4 times lol and i still cant decide which headphones i should pick.

Today i was able to visit music shop and listen to them personally while reading Your guide...all ended in a dillema between DT 880 Premium 250 ohm and DT 990 Premium 250 ohm. Both sound great,but dt 880 lacks in bass for my taste,while dt 990 has it perfect but a bit too much treble which sometimes "covers" the vocal or some instruments.
I just wish there was a perfect solution to combine two of these into one perfect headphone...

I will mostly use headphones for gaming and lots of music (trance,dubstep,classical,symphony,orchestra,dance). MMO's are priority so i though DT 880 will be perfect (You stated if FPS is not main concern dt 880 is the way to go) but...those basses from DT 990...i literally took DT 880 in my hands,prepared wallet and...i couldnt do it,i felt im leaving something great behind and so i postponed my purchase decision until tomorrow and thats why im here asking for advice...WHAT TO DO?!
Also both are 100% comfortable to me.

Do 990 DT really have such great soundstage? Which one would You PERSONALLY choose? 880 or 990 for BOTH music and online + single player gaming?

Also im a bit concerned that both of these headphones were pretty silent...i cranked up volume at the store to 100% but it wasnt as loud as i expected,maybe headphone amps were weak? (Pro-Ject amp for about 100$).

Im also curious,why do people do combo like this : sound card --> mixamp--->amp-->headphones. Is it really better performance? I planned to get Fio E9 because they are accessible in my country,o2 is not,mixamp astro dunno.

Sorry for wall of text but time is my enemy here as i need to make my decision tomorrow :p

Jun 28, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #5,981 of 48,562
Quote:
That was an awesome guide Mad Lust Envy, thank You i have already read it like 4 times lol and i still cant decide which headphones i should pick.

Today i was able to visit music shop and listen to them personally while reading Your guide...all ended in a dillema between DT 880 Premium 250 ohm and DT 990 Premium 250 ohm. Both sound great,but dt 880 lacks in bass for my taste,while dt 990 has it perfect but a bit too much treble which sometimes "covers" the vocal or some instruments.
I just wish there was a perfect solution to combine two of these into one perfect headphone...

I will mostly use headphones for gaming and lots of music (trance,dubstep,classical,symphony,orchestra,dance). MMO's are priority so i though DT 880 will be perfect (You stated if FPS is not main concern dt 880 is the way to go) but...those basses from DT 990...i literally took DT 880 in my hands,prepared wallet and...i couldnt do it,i felt im leaving something great behind and so i postponed my purchase decision until tomorrow and thats why im here asking for advice...WHAT TO DO?!
Also both are 100% comfortable to me.

Do 990 DT really have such great soundstage? Which one would You PERSONALLY choose? 880 or 990 for BOTH music and online + single player gaming?

Also im a bit concerned that both of these headphones were pretty silent...i cranked up volume at the store to 100% but it wasnt as loud as i expected,maybe headphone amps were weak? (Pro-Ject amp for about 100$).

Im also curious,why do people do combo like this : sound card --> mixamp--->amp-->headphones. Is it really better performance? I planned to get Fio E9 because they are accessible in my country,o2 is not,mixamp astro dunno.

Sorry for wall of text but time is my enemy here as i need to make my decision tomorrow :p

If you are going to listen to dub, dubstep, house, trance, etc. DT 990s for sure. You can always DL an EQ program and control the treb yourself. 

As for the double amp, it's used for console gaming. MixAmp for the DH while an O2 amp or sort to give a crisp, clear, high sound to the HP also adding increased volume for any given situation.

What's you budget btw and how much are those headphones in the store compared to online? Amazon has been my friend forever because I find things there cheaper than you could imagine.

Jun 28, 2012 at 3:53 PM Post #5,982 of 48,562
Quote:
Hmm, aside from the E11 - what else would be worth trying out, prior to an O2?

I'm actually using the Q701 right now, unamped into a Titanium HD, and it sounds "fine" :) Then again, I don't know how it sounds 'amped' yet. 

P.S. I have a mixamp too, but it doesnt seem to make a difference with the Q701s.

If for now the Q701 sound good, maybe hold off on adding an external headphone amplifier for now.
The T-HD (Titanium HD) does not come with a headphone amplifier, but seem to do a decent job drving headphones.
Maybe wait for a good deal on a used O2.

Jun 28, 2012 at 4:32 PM Post #5,983 of 48,562
Quote:
If for now the Q701 sound good, maybe hold off on adding an external headphone amplifier for now.
The T-HD (Titanium HD) does not come with a headphone amplifier, but seem to do a decent job drving headphones.
Maybe wait for a good deal on a used O2.

I already ordered the E11s and the Ultrasone PRO 550s :D Oh well. I'm going to be testing those come Monday-Wed when they arrive.

One thing to add here is, with the THD - adding the MixAmp via optical - doesn't seem to do much. We'll see how the E11 holds up, by itself or double amped to the MixAmp when it arrives.

Jun 28, 2012 at 4:41 PM Post #5,984 of 48,562
Quote:
I already ordered the E11s and the Ultrasone PRO 550s :D Oh well. I'm going to be testing those come Monday-Wed when they arrive.

One thing to add here is, with the THD - adding the MixAmp via optical - doesn't seem to do much. We'll see how the E11 holds up, by itself or double amped to the MixAmp when it arrives.

Both the T-HD and Asto Mix-amp come with headphone surround sound, so plugging the Mix-amp into the T-HDs optical out seems unnessary.
Now the T-HD uses CMSS-3D and the Mix-amp uses Dolby, so that is one difference.

Jun 28, 2012 at 4:50 PM Post #5,985 of 48,562
Quote:
If you are going to listen to dub, dubstep, house, trance, etc. DT 990s for sure. You can always DL an EQ program and control the treb yourself. 

As for the double amp, it's used for console gaming. MixAmp for the DH while an O2 amp or sort to give a crisp, clear, high sound to the HP also adding increased volume for any given situation.

What's you budget btw and how much are those headphones in the store compared to online? Amazon has been my friend forever because I find things there cheaper than you could imagine.

Yeah i also thought 990 would be the way to go...just 880 has "something" that also makes me interested in it,clear sound etc.
In my country those headphones are hard to obtain,price i found in store is not so bad compared to other online retailers i see here. Also Amazon prices (im using UK one because they are sending to my country) have a bit higher prices than the store i found so its ok,about 250 euro for DT 990 Premium and 240 euro for 880 DT premium so difference is not so big.

And about budget,really no idea. I have no budget,got enough money but those are savings up for my future apartment so i would like to not spend too much and at the same time i dont want to limit myself by few euro/dollars and loose quality. DT 990 Premium are already expensive for me,but even for that price they are tempting with what they offer.

Also i was wondering if Fiio E9 is good amp,because o2 is not avaiable in my country (unless i try on amazon i guess).

p.s. are there any GOOD clip microphones with noise cancelling? Found some cheap ones in market but my friends say they are terrible and catch all kind of sounds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back