Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jun 26, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #5,956 of 48,562
Quote:
No sir! You were correct. It is acceptable in today's world just as saying "Nowadays" - which is a common slang word - has now been accepted in widespread use.

"Nowadays" is slang?? Wha--? -flips table-
Dagnammit imma just quit this job already.

Quote:
$450. I still greatly prefer the Q701. The only thing the Pro 2900 does better is bass. Nothing else.
By its own merits, the Pro 2900 is solid... just not for the price.

Good grief, for that price...

Jun 26, 2012 at 11:16 PM Post #5,957 of 48,562
Quote:
$450. I still greatly prefer the Q701. The only thing the Pro 2900 does better is bass. Nothing else.

$450? Holy crap, that's Stax money! Including an amp or transformer box, even!

Not to mention well into diminishing returns for gaming audio alone...could be worth it if you listen to plenty of music on the same setup, though.

Jun 27, 2012 at 10:06 AM Post #5,958 of 48,562
Quote:

Ahh... good stuff. I like the Q701, I just wish I could get better position or louder footsteps, etc. Are there any amps that have their own EQ or is there a way to adjust EQ on some games? Like BlackOps is great because you can change the sound setup, but most other games I play have NONE and I mean NO! way of changing how the sound is presented which really "Grinds my gears."

"Nowadays" is slang?? Wha--? -flips table-
Dagnammit imma just quit this job already.

Good grief, for that price...

Yeah it is slang, or was. . . Besides that, $450 bucks for a pair of phones that have slightly more bass than the Q701 (Which is plenty for me when gaming) is not worth it in my book. My mic, 2 amps, and Q701 cost me 600 after S&H, I could only imagine how much a setup like those would cost.

BTW this setup is superb! Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Jun 27, 2012 at 10:44 AM Post #5,959 of 48,562
Like K701 the Q701 lacks depth. Soundstage goes wide like the head of a hammerhead shark but not deep. I tried the Q701 (despite the aching headband) recently and it dissapointed the same. I still lay my hopes into the T90. Still waiting for them to arrive. :Q

Jun 27, 2012 at 11:18 AM Post #5,960 of 48,562
Quote:
Like K701 the Q701 lacks depth. Soundstage goes wide like the head of a hammerhead shark but not deep. I tried the Q701 (despite the aching headband) recently and it dissapointed the same. I still lay my hopes into the T90. Still waiting for them to arrive. :Q

The headband only bothered me for the first week, people should man up on comfort. lol The human body reacts and adapts almost more than any species on earth.

For instance, people can't test the integrity of the nose or do "smell test", because it adapts to smells in 15 minutes. Walk into someone's house and it  smells like cury, 15 minutes later you don't even notice it. The body works the same with pain and discomfort on another level. You can get used to it and block it out like it never happened or complain the moment you try it and lose out on something good.

I am not sure what you mean by lack of depth but I do wish for 240 bucks they sounded fuller. Some games almost sound linear using them.

Jun 27, 2012 at 1:41 PM Post #5,962 of 48,562
Quote:
Hey guys having read through the reviews of the headphones in this thread I was wondering would it be worth it to upgrade from a modded sennheiser hd 555 to hd 595, to a sennheiser hd 598?

IMO! The 598 is a totally different animal. You should really look it up. Nothing feels like it. That I have tried. Definitely the largest underpowered (no amp) soundstage I have heard.
I loved everything about the 598 except for the sound but I don't deal well with N shaped frequency headphones. (That is what I am calling it, deal with it.) It really is an out of head experience for me.

Jun 27, 2012 at 4:48 PM Post #5,963 of 48,562
Ninja: Dunno what you want to sound deeper than the Q701. Nothing I've used sounds noticeably deeper. If you want better positioning... good luck, because IMHO, nothing does it better... maybe just the DT770 Pro 80, which pays the price with big boomy bass. Its probably worth finding a Premium DT770 or MMX300 that has weak bass. Too bad the one I tried was way too bassy.

You may as well buy a real 5.1 surround speaker setup, so you can get all the depth you want. Dolby Headphone isn't going to compete with that, though it dues positioning better overall.

Jun 27, 2012 at 6:00 PM Post #5,965 of 48,562
It's not going to be a huge difference, IMHO. If your modded 555s are anything like the Pc360... then the Hd598 is just more mid forward, and clearer, but not leaps and bounds. Personally, I preferred the more balanced PC360 sound over the HD598, though if you wanna analyzine gaming, the HD598 is definitely better. For the price of the HD598, I'd save up some more and get the Q701. They are better in every regard, IMHO, without the unnecessarily too forward mids. They just need some amping.

Jun 27, 2012 at 6:56 PM Post #5,966 of 48,562
Decided to get the O2 amp for desktop use and I tried Skyrim last night to bi-amp the Q701 with the Mixamp pro, and I have to say the soundstage and positioning was a lot better than thru Mixamp alone.  Maybe it's new toy placebo effect, but I'm now convinced the Q701 definitely benefits from more power.

Jun 27, 2012 at 11:58 PM Post #5,967 of 48,562
Quote:
Ninja: Dunno what you want to sound deeper than the Q701. Nothing I've used sounds noticeably deeper. If you want better positioning... good luck, because IMHO, nothing does it better... maybe just the DT770 Pro 80, which pays the price with big boomy bass. Its probably worth finding a Premium DT770 or MMX300 that has weak bass. Too bad the one I tried was way too bassy.
You may as well buy a real 5.1 surround speaker setup, so you can get all the depth you want. Dolby Headphone isn't going to compete with that, though it dues positioning better overall.

I don't know. I am partly deaf so... maybe the part that I have hearing loss in is minute noises and what not. 

I honestly think it's the game. Every time I listen for footsteps it seems to get drowned out in HAILS of gunfire and over use of explosives.

Jun 27, 2012 at 11:59 PM Post #5,968 of 48,562
Quote:
Decided to get the O2 amp for desktop use and I tried Skyrim last night to bi-amp the Q701 with the Mixamp pro, and I have to say the soundstage and positioning was a lot better than thru Mixamp alone.  Maybe it's new toy placebo effect, but I'm now convinced the Q701 definitely benefits from more power.

What set up did you do?

Skyrim > Mix Amp > O2 Amp > Q701?

Jun 28, 2012 at 12:51 AM Post #5,969 of 48,562
If you're talking about BLOPS, you absolutely need Ninja Pro, or you will not really hear footsteps. If they also have Ninja Pro, you're screwed.

Lots of games do not ever emphasize footsteps, so you won't hear them ever. Soundwhoring isn't what it used to be. Nowadays, you should listen more to other sounds others make, like gun fire, reloading, planting a claymore, etc.

Jun 28, 2012 at 1:10 AM Post #5,970 of 48,562
Quote:
Quote:

What set up did you do?

Skyrim > Mix Amp > O2 Amp > Q701?

Exactly that setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back