Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jun 24, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #5,911 of 48,568
Quote:

NinjaSushi2: also don't forget that Mehdi is gaming on PC. Not every soundcard will be able to output the surround sound optically for a MixAmp to use (in fact, I've heard that most on-board sound chips won't) so it's not as simple as getting a MixAmp and some headphones.

I didnt know it was for PC, screw the amps then! Get a Xonar soundcard and it will power the HP too.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001EZQ8YC/ref=asc_df_B001EZQ8YC2069721?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B001EZQ8YC&hvpos=1o1&hvexid=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=1958412046374491908&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=

Jun 24, 2012 at 11:17 PM Post #5,913 of 48,568
Quote:
I will be testing with the following:

Games
Bioshock - Perhaps my favorite sounding game when it comes to "mood"
Counter Strike Source - When it comes to positional cues, this is probably the best game to test with I would figure

You're definitely making use of that X-Fi DSP for sure. Bioshock uses OpenAL and EAX (version 5, I'm guessing), and Counter-Strike: Source may support DirectSound3D through the Miles Sound System that every Source engine game uses.

Have you looked through this post to set up CS:S for optimal positional sound? (The really important parts are pointing ALchemy to the CS:S root directory and setting "snd_legacy_surround 1" in the console.)

Also, with as much as you're spending on headphones (even if you're planning on returning most of that), you might even be able to score a Stax setup for that much! (But I'm not sure if a typical Lambda-series headphone's bass presentation would suit you...electrostatics aren't known for visceral impact, though the sound is very much there, and it goes deep. EQ helps really bring it out.)

Jun 24, 2012 at 11:28 PM Post #5,915 of 48,568
Quote:
An old xbox don't matter.  All of them do Dolby Digital 5.1.  If you have an old one, you use this,which I assume is what your already using.

I thought "If you have an old Xbox, use this!"

Yes, there's a Toslink S/PDIF output on that breakout box. Yes, it also supports Dolby Digital for every game.

The original Xbox gets no love...

Jun 24, 2012 at 11:42 PM Post #5,918 of 48,568
Quote:

I might *try* it, as part of this experiment. The thing is though, sound cards come and go, while a good amp will stick with me for a long time.

Jun 25, 2012 at 1:05 AM Post #5,919 of 48,568
Chico that link you posted sounds more like Dolby Headphone on Room 3. More distant with more echo than what I'm used to with the Mixamp.

Jun 25, 2012 at 1:31 AM Post #5,921 of 48,568
It is, but not as much as that video. That sounds like room 3, while the Mixamp uses room 2, which isn't as processed sounding.

Jun 25, 2012 at 2:10 AM Post #5,922 of 48,568
Quote:

Do you remember those amazing 480p graphics?!!!

4 8 0 p
eek.gif

I'm so old, that when I first started computer gaming (Star Trek 1980), you typed your "ship's orders" into the computer (DOS like screen) and you got a print out to show your moves.

Jun 25, 2012 at 2:20 AM Post #5,923 of 48,568
Quote:
Chico that link you posted sounds more like Dolby Headphone on Room 3. More distant with more echo than what I'm used to with the Mixamp.

Quote:
It is, but not as much as that video. That sounds like room 3, while the Mixamp uses room 2, which isn't as processed sounding.

That's just the game.  That's how Crysis 2 sounds: really wet reverby.  In the comment section the uploader actually said he used DH1
confused.gif

I wish the mode were switchable on the mixmap.  Although I don't think DH3 should ever really be used, it would be nice to switch between DH1 and DH2. 

Jun 25, 2012 at 4:49 AM Post #5,925 of 48,568
Quote:

What does the room mean?

Quote:
What, DH1? Jesus, that game sounds terrible!

huh? What is DH1, 2, 3? 
Quote:
I'm so old, that when I first started computer gaming (Star Trek 1980), you typed your "ship's orders" into the computer (DOS like screen) and you got a print out to show your moves.

I remember typing games, all the rage in the mid 90s on internet chat rooms. lol

Quote:

That's just the game.  That's how Crysis 2 sounds: really wet reverby.  In the comment section the uploader actually said he used DH1
confused.gif

I wish the mode were switchable on the mixmap.  Although I don't think DH3 should ever really be used, it would be nice to switch between DH1 and DH2. 

I never played that game.. 
frown.gif
 I would have really liked to have been able to run it.

Ok so here's a few questions.

1. Is there any other ideas on how to get Black Ops, MW2 and MW3 to sound better or with better positioning? What settings do I need again? 5.1 on xbox setting and theater on in game? I think surround headphone setting sounds better than theater on black ops personally.

2. What is a good game to test positioning. Boarderlands? Oblivion? Fallout 3? MW3? A diff game?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back