Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jun 23, 2012 at 9:03 AM Post #5,881 of 48,562
Quote:
This thread is truly dangerous for my wallet, all the talk about Q701 makes me really want to buy one to try gaming with it while I have FA-011 still being used.
eek.gif

Yeah, I try to limit my forays into the other sections of Head-Fi to resist the temptation to spend more money. Technolust is the bane of my wallet...

At least look at it this way: you don't need a specialized, expensive amplifier (or a transformer box and a speaker power amp, like a huge A/V receiver) just for the Q701 to work at all!

Jun 23, 2012 at 9:57 PM Post #5,883 of 48,562
Hey guys, I'm looking to purchased new headphones for competitive gaming as well as for music! I'm a complete audio nub, hoping you pros could help me out! I have no budget constraint and already own a Titanium HD.

Would I still need to purchase an amplifier along with a new headphone ? What I'm really concern about is I were to take advatange of the Titanium HD + Amps when Im gaming at home, will there be a drastic change in sound if I were to play at an LAN event or amplifiers are easily installable without the need of drivers etc.

Thanks!

Jun 23, 2012 at 10:08 PM Post #5,884 of 48,562
Quote:
Hey guys, I'm looking to purchased new headphones for competitive gaming as well as for music! I'm a complete audio nub, hoping you pros could help me out! I have no budget constraint and already own a Titanium HD.
Would I still need to purchase an amplifier along with a new headphone ? What I'm really concern about is I were to take advantage of the Titanium HD + Amps when I'm gaming at home, will there be a drastic change in sound if I were to play at an LAN event or amplifiers are easily installable without the need of drivers etc.

You do not need extra drivers for adding a headphone amplifier to the T-HD (Titanium HD)
You do not have to use an external add-on headphone amplifier with the T-HD, It's just preferred.
The "problem" with the T-HD's headphone amplifier is the high impedance 35-Ohm(?).
Some people plug their headphone straight into the T-HD and are happy with the sound.
Might help to know what headphone your planning on using with the T-HD?

Jun 23, 2012 at 10:30 PM Post #5,885 of 48,562
Quote:

Would I still need to purchase an amplifier along with a new headphone ? What I'm really concern about is I were to take advatange of the Titanium HD + Amps when Im gaming at home, will there be a drastic change in sound if I were to play at an LAN event or amplifiers are easily installable without the need of drivers etc.

Thanks!

You don't need to use a headphone amplifier for a new headphone per se, but it may be necessary to get the absolute most out of more demanding headphones.

There is one exception: electrostatics. Those actually do require specialized amplification to function at all, and I see it as a big reason why most people haven't tried Stax or the Koss ESP/950 yet, especially when most of the 'stat amps cost as much as the headphones themselves.

Also, what kind of amplifier would need drivers at all? They only work with analog signals in the first place (barring DAC/amp combos, but those are obviously two devices in one).

Jun 23, 2012 at 10:50 PM Post #5,886 of 48,562
Planar Magnetics also need some really strong amping, aside from the HE400 which seems to have found a way to be easily driven.

Try using the HE-4, 5, or 6 without an amp. They'll spit on your face...quietly.

Jun 23, 2012 at 11:25 PM Post #5,888 of 48,562
Hey Mad Lust I need help. This is my set up. Xbox > Mix Amp Pro > O2 amp > AKG Q701 headphones. Am I doing this wrong? I can't seem to get very good positioning. Even when I turn on the dolby headphones on my mix amp, I seem to get an overhead sensation; rather when it's off I seem to be able to tell if a sound is behind me or to the left.

It seems to me either I had the amps reversed or someone messed up the wiring in my mix amp pro.

Jun 24, 2012 at 12:08 AM Post #5,889 of 48,562
Try your setup without the O2 and see if you can hear the positional sounds. Also, make sure you're sound settings on your xbox is set to dolby digital. You might be playing in stereo and just not realizing it. And if you're playing any COD games that you have SitRep Pro or Ninja Pro to help you hear footsteps easier.

Jun 24, 2012 at 12:47 AM Post #5,890 of 48,562
Quote:
Hey Mad Lust I need help. This is my set up. Xbox > Mix Amp Pro > O2 amp > AKG Q701 headphones. Am I doing this wrong? I can't seem to get very good positioning. Even when I turn on the dolby headphones on my mix amp, I seem to get an overhead sensation; rather when it's off I seem to be able to tell if a sound is behind me or to the left.

It seems to me either I had the amps reversed or someone messed up the wiring in my mix amp pro.

Your using only the optical cable right?

Jun 24, 2012 at 1:58 AM Post #5,891 of 48,562
Yeah, try without the O2 first.

Make sure you're using an optical cable.

Make sure the XBox is set to Dolby Digital 5.1

Make sure the in game sound settings is NOT set to stereo, headphone, headphone surround, or tv. It should be theater, home theater, etc. Remember, the Mixamp is taking a real surround signal and converting it for your headphones, so anything in game shouldn't be set for headphones whatsoever.

If you get it working without the O2, THEN hook up a 3.5mm male/male between the Mixamp's headphone out to the O2's line in.

Jun 24, 2012 at 2:38 AM Post #5,892 of 48,562
Quote:
I'm having a problem with my setup and I'm hoping someone here can help me. This is my signal chain:
Xbox 360 Slim
Optical cord
Tritton Ax720 decoder box
Creative Aurvana Live plugged into game side of Tritton connector.
The problem I'm having is a very intermittent static noise (happens maybe twice in an hour period) that lasts for about a second. It only happens in the left ear. Before I go about replacing parts of the chain, does anyone have any suspicions as to what may be the problem?
Thanks!

Just to update this post.

I have returned and replaced the entire chain besides the Xbox itself and the problem persists.

Short of returning the Xbox, the last option I see is to bypass the Xbox Slim's optical port altogether and get a A/V Optical adapter.  Maybe the problem lies in the optical port.  Opinions?

The best way I can describe the noise is an intermittent "psssssst."  Like someone is whispering for you to come over.

Jun 24, 2012 at 3:31 AM Post #5,893 of 48,562
Hmm, that sounds more like a problem with the CAL itself. Perhaps a bad driver? The AX720 decoder box itself can be hissy...

Jun 24, 2012 at 2:43 PM Post #5,895 of 48,562
Thanks guy. It was the audio settings on the xbox and game, I forgot to set it all over to surround effects, etc/whatever. I was playing on stereo and on surround headphone/headset. 

Using a TOS cable btw. Which youtube test should I use? 5.1 surround test? Maybe a dolby HP test?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back