Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jun 8, 2012 at 2:06 AM Post #5,613 of 48,562
I might test a T90 next week and compare with Pro 2900 and HE-500.

Jun 8, 2012 at 6:29 AM Post #5,615 of 48,562
http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/08/sony-playstation-pulse-wireless-stereo-headset-elite-edition-han/

akaTRENT's hands on at E3...

Sony PlayStation Pulse Wireless Stereo Headset Elite Edition hands on

Aside from the PlayStation Move Racing Wheel and Wonderbook, Sony has one more accessory to show off at E3 -- the Pulse Wireless Stereo Headset Elite Edition. Naturally, we hunted down this peripheral aimed at all-things audio to check it out for ourselves. The PWSHEE is the company's second full-on PS3 headset to date, expanding on what it offered with its Wireless Stereo Headset from last year. As we're told, the headset is also ushering in a new Pulse moniker for its PlayStation oriented ear-blasters, although there's no word on what we can expect down the line. For now, this unit packs a lot on paper for its $150 price, touting key features like 7.1 virtual surround sound, PS Vita and cellphone compatibility (thanks to a detachable cable with inline remote / mic), BassImpact technology for massive low-end pulse (get it?), audio profiles, higher-fidelity drivers than the WSH and hidden noise-cancelling microphones for chatting. Does it have the potential to live up to its hype and one-up its $80 predecessor? Join us past the break for our initial impressions.
Sony PlayStation Wireless Stereo Headset Pulse Edition

Visually speaking, the PWSHEE is less futuristic looking than the Wireless Stereo headset and it's not a bad thing either -- we wouldn't feel dorky wearing it in public. The back of the earcups are finished in a deep glossy black with chrome circles on the yokes, while the the rest of the headset has a textured matte finish like the PS3. Although the drivers are new, the the size, shape and even the cups, and even the fauxe-leather earpads felt exactly the same to our ears as what's on the WSH -- not surprising, as the PWSHEE uses that headset as its foundation. Those pads had our head sweating in the past, so it's shame that cloth versions are, again, not on offer. The headband and yokes are completely redesigned here, featuring two points of contact and more traditional adjustment rails, but the earcups still don't fold flat and padding is sparse under the headband. Despite these minor quirks, the headset fit our noggin very comfortably, and we don't feel as though it would be a burden to wear these during a gaming marathon.

Sony PlayStation Pulse Wireless Stereo Headset Elite Edition handson

So that's the design. Let's dig into those features. One major complaint we had the WSH was its retractable boom mic -- namely that it felt flimsy and put an annoying light in our line of vision. This time around the noise-cancelling microphones are hidden in the earcups, and although we had no means to test their quality, not having any glare in eyes is a welcome improvement. As far as controls go, you'll find sliders for voice, game and "pulse" conveniently placed along the edges (perfect for for quick thumb access), along with a Mini-USB port for charging, a 3.5mm input for the detachable cable, a power switch and and a toggle for Virtual Surround Sound. The wireless connection is handled by an included USB dongle like the WSH, but this unit features it's own 3.5mm input. Our Sony rep wasn't aware of what it's for, but we'd imagine it'll let you get wired into the console. About the only thing we couldn't view on the headset was its onscreen status popups, although it's likely similar to the what we experience with the WSH.

The Sony booth was very loud, but the cans isolated noise well enough that we were able to gauge the sound quality a little bit. While we've generally placed vibrating earcups in the "gimmick" category, we actually came away quite impressed by the sound demo Sony had looping. The vibrations felt like a subwoofer on our head, rather than the buzzing of a cellphone. You can dial-in your preferred level of wub (or disable it) thanks to the volume control, and it'll get intense enough to please the most demanding bass heads. The surround sound emulation was also pleasing, with a good sense of directionality from the front to rear channels.

We'll be sure to give this headset a full run through our review gauntlet when it ships later this fall, but as it stands, $150 for this versatile, feature-packed headset is looking like a more-than-fair deal.

Looks like this one will bring a detachable 3.5mm cable, so in theory, we could use the headset wirelessly for the PS3 and use Sony's internal 7.1 virtual surround, or plug it into something like the Mixamp and use Dolby Headphone...

That would be a nice test for me.

You get a lot of headset for $150, so maybe, just maybe, it might warrant a try. Especially because this one isn't just PS3 use only (though the wireless ability and I assume the virtual surround is. Using the virtual surround through the 3.5mm input would just be upmixing stereo, which is never smart).

I must say, it looks sexy too. But again, PLEATHER. FUUUUUUUUUU---

Still, I wish I could contact Sony somehow and ask them to send me a pair to review. =D

Jun 8, 2012 at 1:46 PM Post #5,616 of 48,562
Quote:
BTW, if any of you own an PS3, do yourself a favor and download the Bang bang Racing demo, if only because that game has REALLY awesome audio. It's odd as it's a sort of top down racer, but it has positional cues, which seem relative to where the sounds are around your car. hard to get used to, but still, stellar sound placement.

Ok.. going to do it tonight :p

Jun 8, 2012 at 2:14 PM Post #5,617 of 48,562
I meant to say a really good sense of aural space. Sound placement is a bit hard to understand on that game due to the nature of camera placement not matching up with positional cues.

BTW, just to add again to the Q701 with Bass Boost on the Mixamp 5.8: I've been playing all the new PS Plus downloads, and they all worked 95% fine. Bang bang Racing was the only one to really distort the bass a lot. Infamous 2, Ratchet and Clank: All 4 One, Little Big Planet 2, Warhammer: Space Marine, Virtua Fighter 5 all played relatively well with bass boost on the Q701s.

Jun 8, 2012 at 2:38 PM Post #5,618 of 48,562
Quote:
http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/08/sony-playstation-pulse-wireless-stereo-headset-elite-edition-han/

...touting key features like 7.1 virtual surround sound, PS Vita and cellphone compatibility (thanks to a detachable cable with inline remote / mic)...

MLE, correct me if I'm wrong, but 7.1 virtual surround sound is only supported on the PS3 console, but not on the PS Vita, right?  Thanks.

Jun 8, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #5,619 of 48,562
Yeah, the Vita is stereo only. However, I think the 7.1 function on the headset can be turned on regardless of source, so you may be able to get an upmixed stereo signal off the Vita. Not that you'd want to. All that would do is add reverb and echo for no reason, as the Vita is only outputting stereo.

This is the logical assumption, though I may be dead wrong, and perhaps the virtual surround function is on the dongle. Not sure yet.

Jun 8, 2012 at 4:46 PM Post #5,621 of 48,562
Quote:
Yeah, the Vita is stereo only. However, I think the 7.1 function on the headset can be turned on regardless of source, so you may be able to get an upmixed stereo signal off the Vita. Not that you'd want to. All that would do is add reverb and echo for no reason, as the Vita is only outputting stereo.

This is the logical assumption, though I may be dead wrong, and perhaps the virtual surround function is on the dongle. Not sure yet.

Thanks MLE.  I'm hoping they introduce virtual surround on the dongle so the Vita, even if Sony does it as exclusive function to push their headphones.

Jun 8, 2012 at 10:42 PM Post #5,622 of 48,562
Honestly, there's no reason the Vita shouldn't have a binaural surround mixing option for headphones built-in, no dongles necessary-just add any 3.5mm headphone. It's not like it's designed with 7.1 speakers in mind, so it doesn't have to limit itself to 7.1 max like Dolby Headphone does, instead giving us true 3D sound.

Then again, I get the notion that a lot of the gaming industry doesn't even realize that headphones deliver effective surround with two drivers when the sounds are mixed just right.

Jun 8, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #5,623 of 48,562
Isn't it all digital files for the surround sound anyways?  I guess they are trying to save memory space by not including those audio files.

Jun 8, 2012 at 11:11 PM Post #5,624 of 48,562
Honestly, there's no reason the Vita shouldn't have a binaural surround mixing option for headphones built-in, no dongles necessary-just add any 3.5mm headphone. It's not like it's designed with 7.1 speakers in mind, so it doesn't have to limit itself to 7.1 max like Dolby Headphone does, instead giving us true 3D sound.

Then again, I get the notion that a lot of the gaming industry doesn't even realize that headphones deliver effective surround with two drivers when the sounds are mixed just right.

Though I haven't bought it yet, Corpse Party for the PSP/Vita has Binaural Audio. That's the only game I've seen that openly markets binaural audio.

Virtual surround is 100% possible on any device capable of using headphones with. The problem is companies actually using things like Binaural audio.

It seems that audio is almost never a priority in games. Corpse Party is fairly simplistic, and instead relies on text and your imagination to get a feel for what's happening. The audio is incredibly important, which is why binaural was more than likely used.

Now that I think about it, binaural gaming is largely impossible. Why? Because binaural tech is mostly pre-scripted. Sound effects are placed around specialized microphones and recorded. In games, unless a game screen is static, or is in a scripted event, there's no way to record audio relative to your viewpoint/position in game at all times. That would mean that if for example you're playing an FPS, every single sound effect in the game that doesn't come from your 'character' would have to be recorded infinite times so that there is a sound effect properly placed at ALL times depending on how you move in the game.

I guess this is why binaural gaming is almost non-existent.

So a virtual space with generic sound placement is more logical, like Dolby Headphone. I just wish these gaming devices had it built in.

What do you think, Nameless? I'm speaking in terms of binaural audio as I've come to know it. I dunno about stuff like EAX and how that tech works.

Jun 9, 2012 at 1:45 AM Post #5,625 of 48,562
True binaural audio is recorded with specialized microphones, but I think they should be able to do simulated binaural audio.  I thought that was what CMSS and whatever that Rapter audio (?) DSP already were (Rapter has good positioning but sounds a little funky and processed from what I've listened to).

Of course, Dolby headphone is supposed to be emulation of 5 discrete speakers, but it sounds quite blended together to me.

Doesn't all the tech come down to simulating HRTFs anyways?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back