Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Apr 18, 2012 at 11:24 PM Post #5,206 of 48,566
Good News:  I think Astro's Wireless MixAmp 5.8 is available stand-alone again!

Apr 19, 2012 at 2:13 AM Post #5,207 of 48,566
Regarding IEMs, I can assure (from my point of view and testing) that IEMs definitely do not make good phones for DHP gaming. I have tested this with SHURE SE425 (DHP is awful and those Shure are extremely revealing). IE8 from Sennheiser has better soundstage, wider, is less analytical but still, gaming with them is nowhere near fullsize headphones which DHP was actually developed for. 

Apr 19, 2012 at 5:19 AM Post #5,208 of 48,566
I don't understand why anyone wants to double amp the AD900. Aren't they like the AD700 in terms of how much power they need? The AD700 is incredibly easy to drive, so if the AD900's power requirements are close to the same... the Mixamp or whatever device you have should be fine.

Apr 19, 2012 at 8:16 AM Post #5,209 of 48,566
Hi, I recently wanted to start gaming with headphones after trying them round my friends and it was amazing
L3000.gif

I was hoping if anyone can help me as I'm a noob at this stuff. With this setup, I want to not only play games on the 360/ps3 and pc but watch films and listen to music as well and was wondering if this is the best setup to go for.

I was going to get the HD558's and mod it to a '598' so people call it. (It is generally agreed that modding the 558's make it better right?)

I was going to team it up with the Astro Mixamp as well.

Is this setup good for non-competitive gaming as I'm not really into COD but play games like God of War etc which really is action packed and I can see it really shining with good sound as well
bigsmile_face.gif

Now I have read the beginning post and the 598 review which I believe will be quite close to the modded 558, it said that competitive wise its amazing but the fun level is only 6/10. Would you guys recommend me another set or will the 558's suffice for the budget I have?

I have a budget of around £200 / $320. Then after buying the Astro mixamp, I'm left with approximately £110 / $170 for headphones. Are the 558's the best I can do with my remaining money?

Thanks guys!

Apr 19, 2012 at 9:29 AM Post #5,210 of 48,566
Hmm, same finding on the TF2 DH test as my own Essence's DH settings. Around the same imaging but far better precision without DH on. =/

Apr 19, 2012 at 11:28 AM Post #5,211 of 48,566
I game on both but have an X-Box Controller for my PC....Although I love my RTS games which never port well to consoles you NEED a mouse for those. Don't get me wrong my I love my PS3 it is a wonderfull machine but it can't hold a candle to the raw horse power of my PC rig. It's hard for me to buy some games for my PS3 when I know my PC will just look that much better.

Great post BTW.

I will get my ATH-AD900's today for use with my Mixamp. This is my first pair of $100+ headphone. I hope they will be good.

Apr 19, 2012 at 12:01 PM Post #5,212 of 48,566

Quote:
Originally Posted by novadragon849 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, I recently wanted to start gaming with headphones after trying them round my friends and it was amazing
L3000.gif

I was hoping if anyone can help me as I'm a noob at this stuff. With this setup, I want to not only play games on the 360/ps3 and pc but watch films and listen to music as well and was wondering if this is the best setup to go for.
I was going to get the HD558's and mod it to a '598' so people call it. (It is generally agreed that modding the 558's make it better right?)
I was going to team it up with the Astro Mix-amp as well.

Is this setup good for non-competitive gaming as I'm not really into COD but play games like God of War etc which really is action packed and I can see it really shining with good sound as well
bigsmile_face.gif

Now I have read the beginning post and the 598 review which I believe will be quite close to the modded 558, it said that competitive wise its amazing but the fun level is only 6/10. Would you guys recommend me another set or will the 558's suffice for the budget I have?
I have a budget of around £200 / $320. Then after buying the Astro mix-amp, I'm left with approximately £110 / $170 for headphones. Are the 558's the best I can do with my remaining money?

I really do like the sound of my Senn HD558s (black rubber tape removed).
Superlux is a good low cost alternative to the Sennheisers
Samson SR850 (made by Superlux) are a good bang for the buck.
The AKG K240/241/270 velour ear pads fit on the Samson SR850.

Apr 19, 2012 at 1:12 PM Post #5,213 of 48,566

Quote:

Oh?  Interesting.... Where did you find this information at?  I've never heard of that DSP before...

I think if the headphones are power-hungry enough to require double-amping, noise will probably be out of the audible range anyways. 

What headphones are you using?

It was a response to a question I had about the DSS, from Turtle Beach's technical support.

I'm considering modded Orthos, and possibly Electrets. Seems like these may be a good combination with Dolby Headphone.

Apr 19, 2012 at 1:31 PM Post #5,214 of 48,566

Quote:

A friend of mine is getting a wireless mixamp and I'm helping him get sub $100 gaming phones...

By Superlux you mean HD668B?

Which would you recommend for gaming, SR850 or HD668B?  The SR850 is 32 ohms, does it pick up hiss in your experience? 

Also, do you know where to get the AKG velours?

Apr 19, 2012 at 2:04 PM Post #5,215 of 48,566

Quote:
Quote:

A friend of mine is getting a wireless mixamp and I'm helping him get sub $100 gaming phones...
By Superlux you mean HD668B?
Which would you recommend for gaming, SR850 or HD668B?  The SR850 is 32 ohms, does it pick up hiss in your experience? 
Also, do you know where to get the AKG velours?

I own both the HD668B & SR850, but the HD668B broke last year, so can not directly compare.
I have the SR850s with me this second, but I'm using them on someone else's computer with on-board sound on a 5 year old motherboard, not a fair test.
Thomann is Germany sells the AKG Velour ear pads.

Apr 19, 2012 at 2:28 PM Post #5,216 of 48,566

Quote:

I own both the HD668B & SR850, but the HD668B broke last year, so can not directly compare.
I have the SR850s with me this second, but I'm using them on someone else's computer with on-board sound on a 5 year old motherboard, not a fair test.

Thomann is quoting me 30 EUR shipping!  That's twice the cost of the pads themselves
mad.gif

I guess it would be cheaper to get them from headroom > http://www.headphone.com/accessories/headphone-parts/akg-k271-s-cushions-pair.php

The SR850 and 668B look like clones to me (beside the impedance difference).  I'm leaning towards the Samsons, I'm just worried they will pick up hiss from the wireless mixamp....

Apr 19, 2012 at 2:45 PM Post #5,217 of 48,566

Quote:
Quote:

Thomann is quoting me 30 EUR shipping!  That's twice the cost of the pads themselves
mad.gif

I guess it would be cheaper to get them from headroom > http://www.headphone.com/accessories/headphone-parts/akg-k271-s-cushions-pair.php
The SR850 and 668B look like clones to me (beside the impedance difference).  I'm leaning towards the Samsons, I'm just worried they will pick up hiss from the wireless mixamp....

When I ordered from Thomann, it was for 2 headphones and 3 pairs of AKG Velour pads, which works out to about $8 shipping for each item.
Just use the stock pads with the SR850.
On the hiss, i have no idea.

Apr 19, 2012 at 11:00 PM Post #5,220 of 48,566

Quote:
I have two sets of HD681 superlux cans moded with audio technica drivers..

Interesting... I'm still not sure why you didn't put them in the AD700 frame.  I thought that was why you got them.
confused.gif

Quote:
And no info on how they sound?

x2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back