Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 8, 2012 at 2:49 AM Post #4,636 of 48,562

Quote:
Things to note:
I live in Indonesia, So, if possible major brands, amazon discount doesn't apply either.
I don't want worldwide shipping either, if it hit the custom, I'm dead.
Seller in IND usually, their price is +$4-$7.

So, anything else to mention?

(sorry, i've posted this too much)

Sounds like you only want to buy local. Unless you can show us what models of each brand the stores in your city sell, we can't really help you.

Are there any local headphone forums where you live?

Mar 8, 2012 at 2:52 AM Post #4,637 of 48,562
Here is my exact setup on using chat on the xbox w/o a mixamp and minus my headphones and receiver.

tLXVF.jpg

Mono mic -> 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapter -> Controller

I mentioned the in game and console settings already. Important tidbits: There MUST BE a mono section in the mic chain in order to get your voice to be a suitable volume for using chat. No mono in the mic chain = very faint and inaudible voice. You can test it by just making a new voice message to a friend and play it back. Also it will be difficult to hear your chat during loud sections so you have to lower the master volume in game but sometimes it's unavoidable because the explosions or helicopters are just too loud, I just think of it as realism :D Just find a balance.

Mar 8, 2012 at 4:15 AM Post #4,638 of 48,562
Passlogin

The corsair 1500 is said to be really good. Its usb though but if your only going to use it on pc it saves you from buying a sound card.

www.everythingusb.com/corsair-vengeance-1500-gaming-headset-21427.html

Mar 8, 2012 at 5:29 AM Post #4,639 of 48,562
passlogin: Need to clarify--you want a headset (headphone + mic) to use on console and PC, must be closed, must have detachable USB soundcard, and must be available in Indonesia?

Is your budget of $100 for headset only, or headset + USB soundcard?

Mar 8, 2012 at 8:02 AM Post #4,640 of 48,562

Quote:
Here is my exact setup on using chat on the xbox w/o a mixamp and minus my headphones and receiver.

tLXVF.jpg

Mono mic -> 3.5mm to 2.5mm adapter -> Controller

I mentioned the in game and console settings already. Important tidbits: There MUST BE a mono section in the mic chain in order to get your voice to be a suitable volume for using chat. No mono in the mic chain = very faint and inaudible voice. You can test it by just making a new voice message to a friend and play it back. Also it will be difficult to hear your chat during loud sections so you have to lower the master volume in game but sometimes it's unavoidable because the explosions or helicopters are just too loud, I just think of it as realism :D Just find a balance.

What do you mean by a mono "Section"?  So no matter what it's going to be low?  Hmmm... sounds like it would just be easier to go with the MixAmp.

Mar 9, 2012 at 2:49 AM Post #4,642 of 48,562
What do you mean by a mono "Section"?  So no matter what it's going to be low?  Hmmm... sounds like it would just be easier to go with the MixAmp.

If your mic has a 3-pole connector them you have to use a stereo to mono adapter. If you don't use the mono adapter then your voice will be low/faint to other people. A headset like the pc360 has a stereo plug for the mic, so you'd have to convert it to a mono before plugging it into the 360 controller. I've used this method since COD4 and has worked flawlessly since. Another thing that will also work if you don't have a stereo to mono adapter is just a mono extension cable. Like I said, if you want to plug just a mic into the controller then there must be a mono section somewhere in the chain.

Mar 9, 2012 at 3:16 AM Post #4,643 of 48,562
The 360's connector is a tiny (2.5mm?) TRS (tip, ring, sleeve) connector, presumably using tip for the mic and ring for the headset.  Stereo mics I guess put half their output to each channel.  A mono to stereo adapter is going to have both tip and ring connected to the tip of a mono mic.  I'm guessing the 360 uses the ring for the headset's speaker so you're basically going to be halving your mics output because one of its channels is going to an audio out where it isn't doing anything.  Ideally you could find/make a 3.5 TRS to 2.5 TRS (or even TS) where both channels on the 3.5mm female are connected to the 2.5mm male's tip.  

Mar 9, 2012 at 7:59 AM Post #4,644 of 48,562

Quote:
If your mic has a 3-pole connector them you have to use a stereo to mono adapter. If you don't use the mono adapter then your voice will be low/faint to other people. A headset like the pc360 has a stereo plug for the mic, so you'd have to convert it to a mono before plugging it into the 360 controller. I've used this method since COD4 and has worked flawlessly since. Another thing that will also work if you don't have a stereo to mono adapter is just a mono extension cable. Like I said, if you want to plug just a mic into the controller then there must be a mono section somewhere in the chain.

Ahh, ok, makes perfect sense now!  Ever see any mic (as are common 2.5mm size) adapters with a mute switch?  That's one important factor i'm looking for... and you did say it's quiet hooking the mic up this way, no?  

As for the actual mic, I know this new "mod mic" is popular... but is it any good quality wise?  For $30 it better damn well be lol.  I've heard bad things about the Zalman ZIM-MIC1.

If using the Dolby box from the AX720's... how would one hookup their own headset and mic... the only output seems to be a unique port on the front... def. not a standard usb!

Mar 9, 2012 at 2:18 PM Post #4,645 of 48,562
Thanks to those who took the time to respond to my questions.

What is the general consensus amongst competitive gamers -- does simulated Dolby Headphone surround sound beat out true 5.1 channel headphones?

I've read the Turtle Beach Ear Force HPX-1's have multple drivers/channels per ear piece, yet they are often paired with the MixAmp. Does anyone know the benefit of this? It seems pointless to add a mixamp.

Mar 9, 2012 at 2:27 PM Post #4,646 of 48,562
Would you then recommend stereo / Pro Logic II output from a PS3 to a MixAmp, over Dolby Digital?

Quote:
Using the Mixamp with the PS2 and Wii's RCAs yielded some pretty damn good results in terms of surround positional cues. While Pro Logic II sounds artificial and echoey as a whole in comparison to Dolby Digital through the Mixamp, I have to say that the actual surround placement was as good, if not better in some cases.

Mar 9, 2012 at 3:16 PM Post #4,647 of 48,562

Quote:
Thanks to those who took the time to respond to my questions.

What is the general consensus amongst competitive gamers -- does simulated Dolby Headphone surround sound beat out true 5.1 channel headphones?

I've read the Turtle Beach Ear Force HPX-1's have multple drivers/channels per ear piece, yet they are often paired with the MixAmp. Does anyone know the benefit of this? It seems pointless to add a mixamp.

Most ever review i've read states that headsets with multiple drivers sound nowhere near as good as a decent stereo headset running through a decoder.

Mar 9, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #4,648 of 48,562
The problem with multi-driver headphones is that you get 4 small/cheap drivers per ear instead of 1 bigger/high quality driver. As for the HPX's, I used to have that setup- I used the Mixamp because 1) Turtle Beach sells a cable specifically for HPX/Mixamp hookup and 2) it allowed me to mix voice/chat volume. The DSS wasn't out at the time.

Mar 9, 2012 at 4:25 PM Post #4,649 of 48,562

Quote:
The problem with multi-driver headphones is that you get 4 small/cheap drivers per ear instead of 1 bigger/high quality driver. as for the HPX's, I use to have that setup- I used the Mixamp because 1) Turtle Beach sells a cable specifically for HPX/Mixamp hookup and 2) it allowed me to mix voice/chat volume. The DSS wasn't out at the time.

I completely agree.  I have the Tritton (wasted 200 for them when they were brand new) Ax Pros which are multi-driver "true" 5.1 headphones and the balancing was completely off and the sound separation which I assumed would be incredible were in fact hard to distinguish.  If I could possibly individually control each channel I may have had a better experience but I found 2.0 setups with dolby prologicIIx and z seemed to have far better directional accuracy in my personal experience.  For other true multi-driver options in case you have to try for yourself: Razer is coming out with a true 7.1 which might be more refined and Psycho sells an alternative as well .  Currently I use either my receiver or a DSS+Senn HD595s for my wired set-up for my version of the "best of both worlds".  Unfortunately in my optinion software mathematical calculation (against my better judgement) such as that found in a dolby headphone seems to do a better job  than true drivers.

All the best guys,

George

Mar 9, 2012 at 9:11 PM Post #4,650 of 48,562
(I bet I'm going to regret this)
*Just* as a...mental exercise...I'm wondering what cheap closed, circumaurals would be good complement to my DT 880 for gaming. Read tdockweiler's praise for the Koss DJ100 and it got me curious.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back