Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 6, 2012 at 8:58 AM Post #4,516 of 48,566
http://epiphany-acoustics.co.uk/our-products/ehp-o2-portable-audio-headphone-amplifier/

This is the UK dealer that sells built O2 amps. The AC adapter may not be included, but it uses a standard one that can be bought anywhere. Just read up on it.

Mar 6, 2012 at 9:58 AM Post #4,518 of 48,566

Quote:
http://epiphany-acoustics.co.uk/our-products/ehp-o2-portable-audio-headphone-amplifier/
This is the UK dealer that sells built O2 amps. The AC adapter may not be included, but it uses a standard one that can be bought anywhere. Just read up on it.

£99 for an amp ain't exactly cheap. It's not on nodding terms with cheap. It couldn't even send cheap a postcard.
Is it really worth that much? Why not a Fiio E9/10 which are cheaper (£73/£62 respectively) and easy to source from Amazon?
Sorry if this is blindingly obvious to everyone else on here, but don't they do the same thing, and if so, will there be a large difference?

Mar 6, 2012 at 10:01 AM Post #4,519 of 48,566
Turtle Beach DSS2 with the Syba USB audio adapter works great for chat capability on the PS3 (not sure if there is a solution for Xbox360). I received the Syba yesterday, it took about 5 days, changed some settings in the PS3 accessory menu and there you have it chat feature in effect with 3rd party headphones and mic/headset.

I also noticed something while playing MW3, the DSS2 does an excellent job of positional audio. Maybe it was the EQ that allowed me to sound whore noticeably better, I had it set to the mid boost and the 3rd setting for surround angles. It was just an overall better experience than using the Tritton ax720 it was noticeably better and not what I remember when I posted my initial experience a while back. IDK I really didn't pay any mind to it at the time as I was playing just to check the mic and chat feature using the Syba. I remember thinking that damn I can hear exactly where these guys are coming from with ease and that it must be frustrating to the opposition as I would be waiting for them to come around a corner.

Anyhow I am fully satisfied now with the DSS2 now that I have the ability to chat, so now my nephew has a new Tritton ax720 set-up.

BTW: I game with the PC360, hopefully I will be getting the Q701 and m-stage soon. Also I noticed a few pages back saying that the DSS has a pretty powerful amp, it is definitely not as powerful as the ax720 decoder, but the quality of sound seems better and there is no or very little noise from the DSS2 (if there is any noise I can't hear it).

Mar 6, 2012 at 10:12 AM Post #4,520 of 48,566

Quote:

£99 for an amp ain't exactly cheap. It's not on nodding terms with cheap. It couldn't even send cheap a postcard.
Is it really worth that much? Why not a Fiio E9/10 which are cheaper (£73/£62 respectively) and easy to source from Amazon?
Sorry if this is blindingly obvious to everyone else on here, but don't they do the same thing, and if so, will there be a large difference?

Hi mindstarr, replying you here instead of your other thread for convenience.
I think MLE has more than answered your queries on Denons, but just to respond to what you asked me--nope, no opinion on Denons because I've not tried any of them.

About the O2: in all my time on Head-Fi I really haven't seen an amp that has had such a high pick-up rate and low resale rate, plus it seems to sit happily with people who are die-hard objectivists, as well as the more subjective crowd (i.e. people who heavily favour more romantic descriptions of sound and eschew measurements, graphs, etc.).
In sum, most everyone who's tried an O2 seems to love it. It's versatile enough to drive both small earphones and big, power-hungry ones. It's transportable--can be powered by AC and by battery. It's not huge. Basically, if I didn't have a desktop amp, I'd have ordered an O2 myself. And it's so popular at the moment that if you don't like it, you'd more than likely be able to sell it for little loss.

Mar 6, 2012 at 10:32 AM Post #4,521 of 48,566
If that much is too expensive for an amp, then you're in the wrong place. That is downright the best value/performance for amps in general to come a long time. The cheaper alternatives would be the Fiio stuff, which aren't technically proper for the Denons or the AKGs, as their output impedance are too high. The O2 has all the proper specs, power, and price.

The ONLY reason I don't have the O2 is because I wanted a full-sized desktop amp, the input jack is in the front (I want it on the back), and because the ODA is due out soon which is the desktop version of the O2, and I'd have waited for that if I hadn't bought the NFB-5.

Mar 6, 2012 at 10:40 AM Post #4,523 of 48,566
Quote:
If that much is too expensive for an amp, then you're in the wrong place. That is downright the best value/performance for amps in general to come a long time. The cheaper alternatives would be the Fiio stuff, which aren't technically proper for the Denons or the AKGs, as their output impedance are too high. The O2 has all the proper specs, power, and price.
The ONLY reason I don't have the O2 is because I wanted a full-sized desktop amp, the input jack is in the front (I want it on the back), and because the ODA is due out soon which is the desktop version of the O2, and I'd have waited for that if I hadn't bought the NFB-5.

Thanks again. Worth waiting for the ODA then? Do you know when it's coming out?

Mar 6, 2012 at 10:52 AM Post #4,524 of 48,566
Does anyone have experience running wired headphones from the wireless gaming amps (that have an audio out)? I'm thinking of the Tritton 720/ X41/ MX5 amps, I ask because I just purchased a used MX5 setup and would love to use the wired option for single player if the headset doesn't cut it.

Mar 6, 2012 at 10:59 AM Post #4,525 of 48,566

Thanks again. Worth waiting for the ODA then? Do you know when it's coming out?

The ODA will be similar to the O2 with a few added things, though I dunno what those are. The ODA's going to be sometime this year, but no firm release date. People speculate summer.

The ODA is going to be more expensive than the O2, so if that's an issue, you may as well spring for the O2.

That, AND you have to actually wait for certain companies to sell them pre-built which will taken even longer. The O2 and ODA are open source, meaning that they are generally actually built by users themselves.

Mar 6, 2012 at 11:03 AM Post #4,526 of 48,566

Quote:

I looked into the O2 and I don't really like the styling much. I know it's all about the sound with you guys but at the end of the day it's going to be sitting on my desk all day so I have to like the way it looks. Are there any good alternative amps for the Denon D2000/5000 / AKG Q702 / Beyer DT-990?  

Thanks again

Mar 6, 2012 at 11:17 AM Post #4,527 of 48,566
For the price, no. The Asgard is the sleekest looking amp near the price range, and its $250.

Mar 6, 2012 at 11:49 AM Post #4,529 of 48,566
Quote:
The ODA will be similar to the O2 with a few added things, though I dunno what those are. The ODA's going to be sometime this year, but no firm release date. People speculate summer.

The ODA is mostly about better ergonomics with RCA inputs on the back and a 1/4" jack on the front instead of only 3.5mm jacks and everything crammed on the front.

Mar 6, 2012 at 11:52 AM Post #4,530 of 48,566
I'm a little late to the party (how is there always 2-3 pages of new comments when I check this thread several times a day?) but I'd just like to say that 1) Only cheap TN panels have bad vertical viewing angles. 2) MLE- didn't you get release date delivery from Amazon? If you did, how the heck are they letting it get to you one day after the fact? I'd be very mad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back