Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Feb 10, 2012 at 3:32 PM Post #3,946 of 48,562
Now if you had to choose between the DT990 and Q701 what would it be? I'm really thinking about picking up a DT990 one of these days. 

Quote:
The HD598 is more like the K701 than the Q701. The HD598 is outright boring compared to the Qs. The HD598's mids are more forward and richer, while its bass is a step behind the Qs.
The Q701s treble is never sibilant. They are smooth, but with enough sparkle to satisfy me, and I'm a treblehead.
The bass on the Qs is just better. Drums sound spectacular off them. Its the deep low bass where the Qs don't excelin, but the punchy mid bass is stellar.
I'd say the Q701 sounds of higher quality overall. The HD598 is great for analytical gaming, but nothing outside of its very involving mids will grab at you. The Q701 is more engaging as a whole.
I'd recommend the Qs every time, over the HD598.
I wanna mention that I'm very sensitive to mid bass. Mid bass tends to giveme headaches if its too emphasized. The Q701 has strong midbass, yet the way it hits never gets annoying, which is quite a feat. The impact diffuses in a way that it doesn't feel like a hammer hitting the side of my head. Its quite satisfying. Its not a bass monster, but its surely not lacking in impact. If a song calls for it, the bass will be there.

Feb 10, 2012 at 3:35 PM Post #3,947 of 48,562
Well I wouldn't say the HD598 is exactly like the K701, just that they sounded closer to the K701 to me than the Q701. I'd place them as a lower end midpoint between the K and Q.

I do agree, the mids on the HD598 are something special, and I'm not even a mid fanatic. I'm generally happy as long as the mids aren't lost, but the HD598 has some pretty rich mids that demand attention. The Q701s mids are forward, but not the way the HD598's are. The sense of space in the Qs makes the mids a bit more evened out for me.

It has been awhile for the HD598, and I admit that my time with them wasn't as long as my time with the K701.

Feb 10, 2012 at 3:39 PM Post #3,948 of 48,562
Now if you had to choose between the DT990 and Q701 what would it be? I'm really thinking about picking up a DT990 one of these days. 

I'd compare the Q701 more with the DT880 than the DT990.

The DT990 is overall a much more FUN can, with lots of low end, and lots of treble. The Q701 is infinitely more balanced as a whole, but not as fun as the 990s. If you prefer more fun than balanced, the 990 is my recommendation. However, both can do competitive and fun gaming. I do miss the sub bass on the 990s that the Qs just don't have, but I appreciate the better mids and smoother treble on the Qs.

Feb 10, 2012 at 3:44 PM Post #3,949 of 48,562
Thanks to both of you I now have to try the Q701. The HD598 mids annoy me because they are so forward. I agree for what it is, it's an amazing headphone and oh so light to wear. The DT990pros are my perfect headphone sound. I know the Q701 will be very different from them. But sometimes different is good and I really want that wide open soundstage of the HD598. That part I was so addicted too.

If I was to order what I own it would go: DT990pro, KSC75, Superlux HD668B, JVC Air Cushion, Monoprice 8323 then the HD598. Which I know is odd cause when you find that perfect song the Senn's just soar.

Feb 10, 2012 at 3:48 PM Post #3,950 of 48,562
The Q701 should be a great compliment to the DT990 Pros. :)

They both have good bit of mid bass, but the DT990 pros have a whopping low end, while the Qs have better mids. A great combo, for sure.

Feb 10, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #3,951 of 48,562
PC360 is already sold. :)

Guess I should be ordering the antlion modmic soon. That or the DX clip on... :D

Kinda happy to give them a home that will give them some use. I feel sad when headphones aren't used. :frowning2:

Feb 10, 2012 at 6:08 PM Post #3,952 of 48,562

Quote:
Looks like my PC360 is already sold.
smily_headphones1.gif

Guess I should be ordering the antlion modmic soon. That or the DX clip on...
biggrin.gif

Yo dude as soon I as saw those go up it was an immediate buy for me. I've Been a long time follower of this thread to find the perfect gaming audio setup and if most of what I read is true the: PC360 + Astro mixamp = win for COD games. Finally I can move away from stereo! Thanks again MLE and btw you'll find the info your looking for in the paypal message I sent.

It sux that I can only send 2 private messages : /

Feb 10, 2012 at 6:13 PM Post #3,953 of 48,562
Yeah, I saw. Stay on head-fi, so I can keep in contact with you. :)

I sent you your first positive feedback. :)

I should have like +7 now, lol. People forgetting...

I'll be sending them out tomorrow.

BTW, I'll also add a Y cable (FOUND IT, YAY), seeing as your Mixamp may not come with it (stupid Astro), and they charge $10 for it. :rolleyes:

I've had an extra laying around for awhile. Figured it'd be nice to have (and necessary for the PC360).

Feb 10, 2012 at 6:40 PM Post #3,954 of 48,562

Quote:
BTW, I'll also add a Y cable (FOUND IT, YAY), seeing as your Mixamp may not come with it (stupid Astro), and they charge $10 for it.
rolleyes.gif

I've had an extra laying around for awhile. Figured it'd be nice to have (and necessary for the PC360).

All mixamps should come with a y cable....

Feb 10, 2012 at 6:41 PM Post #3,955 of 48,562

Quote:
Yeah, I saw. Stay on head-fi, so I can keep in contact with you.
smily_headphones1.gif

I sent you your first positive feedback.
smily_headphones1.gif

I should have like +7 now, lol. People forgetting...
I'll be sending them out tomorrow.
BTW, I'll also add a Y cable (FOUND IT, YAY), seeing as your Mixamp may not come with it (stupid Astro), and they charge $10 for it.
rolleyes.gif

O No need. Astro was kind enough to send me a Y-adapter with the amp (looks like this: http://www.gamestate.co/upload/products/accessories/cable_yadapter_01.jpg ). But anyway, bussiness later, back to the headphones discussion yes?

Feb 10, 2012 at 6:43 PM Post #3,956 of 48,562
Chico, they stopped adding Y cables to the wired Mixamps at some point, though they may have started adding them again.

Ok, I'll keep my spare then. :p

SOOOO, I ordered the DX clip on mic again. Can't beat it for that price. :D

I'd have went with the Antlion, but considering how little I actually chat, I figured I'd save myself $30. :wink:

Feb 10, 2012 at 7:14 PM Post #3,958 of 48,562
Very nice soundtrack, actually. :)

Still, Nier has the best soundtrack...ever. Not even a debate. :D

[VIDEO]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5xZbJDZZo4&feature=related[/VIDEO]

Feb 10, 2012 at 8:02 PM Post #3,959 of 48,562
Quote:
Very nice soundtrack, actually.
smily_headphones1.gif

Still, Nier has the best soundtrack...ever. Not even a debate.
biggrin.gif

Holy $#*!, I'm getting goosebumps...

Is that the track, my new PFE232s, or both?

EDIT:  What, the video doesn't show up in the quote on the editor but is placed randomly in the actual post...

Feb 10, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #3,960 of 48,562
MLE, do you need a 1/8 or 1/4 connector?  There's a group buy going on for clear sheathed wire, would you prefer it with natural (offwhite) cotton tube over the silver platted copper I already have or the clear stuff?  I ask to find out how much of the clear wire I should get.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back