Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 23, 2012 at 8:56 PM Post #3,466 of 48,565

I thought something was wrong with me because I had an easier time pinpointing enemies with my D2k's than the HD598's :p, not to mention that they are absolutely better than the Senn's for my music taste. Obviously D2's aren't D7's, but still haha. The 598's were shipped back ~3days later. I guess I'm officially a Denon fanboy.

Definitely could see myself upgrading to the D7's down the road.

Which is why I put the D2K as one of those headphones that I haven't tested but believe would absolutely be worthwhile for DH-gaming. If I hadn't jumped straight to the D7K, I would've went to the D2K long ago. I STILL wanna hear them,just to see if my assumption is true. I could give a proper impressions for it and gaming.

So I put my DT990s back on, and I'm still very much enjoying them. :)

Jan 23, 2012 at 9:13 PM Post #3,467 of 48,565

Quote:
Got my Modmic from Antlion today. Thing is SUPER sensitive. Has a ton of cord to it, maybe about ten feet to much for my own uses.

Ya, I noticed that.  It's extremely sensitive.  I put it close to my mouth at first like a normal boom mic and it was clipping when I talked at normal volume.  I moved it back to mid-cheek and last time I checked it was OK volume....

Jan 23, 2012 at 9:35 PM Post #3,468 of 48,565
I haven't placed it yet. But I am looking forward to testing it when I finally do. I do a lot of chatting. Thanks for the tip about placement.

Quote:

Ya, I noticed that.  It's extremely sensitive.  I put it close to my mouth at first like a normal boom mic and it was clipping when I talked at normal volume.  I moved it back to mid-cheek and last time I checked it was OK volume....

Jan 23, 2012 at 10:02 PM Post #3,469 of 48,565

Quote:
I haven't placed it yet. But I am looking forward to testing it when I finally do. I do a lot of chatting. Thanks for the tip about placement.

Ya, I'm stilling bending it around trying to find the best spot.  I might have to hook it up to my PC and listen in to it live, because its a pain recording fake xbox voice messages and listening back to try and set the levels.

Jan 23, 2012 at 10:52 PM Post #3,470 of 48,565
Im looking for a set of headphones for Counter-Strike so they must have good soundstage but im also looking for a good amount of bass also as i am a bass-head, although my music varies from Dubstep to Metal to Rap. After reading your guide, im interested in the Beyerdynamic DT990s. Now on your guide you have your top choices and i was wondering if the DT990s in that list were the 600ohms or just any DT990s.

Thanks!

Jan 23, 2012 at 11:58 PM Post #3,471 of 48,565
Here's my impressions of the Samson SR850 as promised. As soon as I put them on, I was quite impressed, considering these are $50 headphones. They have a very nice soundstage, maybe not as big as the AD700 but impressive nonetheless. They sound like a much "fuller" AD700, they have a much more full-bodied sound compared to the "thin-sounding" AD700 (sorry I'm a noob at describing sound, doing my best here). And for that exact reason, they don't have quite the detail retrieval of the AD700. For example, consider a situation where there's gunfire going on near you and someone's approaching you from the flank or behind you, with the Samsons I wasn't able to hear his footsteps, whereas with the AD700 I did. I doubt these would suffice for a hardcore multi-player online competitive gamer, but for a casual gamer or even a casually competitive gamer, I don't see how you can go wrong with them, especially when you factor in the price.

Regarding the bass, according to the reviews, these are supposed to have a decent amount of bass. Strangley, there was none to be found when I palyed Metal Gear Online, the online component of MGS4. So I popped in MGS4 and went straight to a scene where there's tons of explosions all around you, again no bass...at all. I tried a few other such scenes, but still couldn't hear any bass. I am not sure if it's the game or what's going on, because as I said before these are supposed to have good bass. I don't have any other games to test them out with so I might download some demos later this week and see if I can hear some.

Jan 24, 2012 at 6:20 AM Post #3,472 of 48,565
Thanks for those impressions Naked Snake. I could definitely understand your wording, so don't discredit yourself. :)

Honestly guys, I think I might wanna return the DT990s to save some cash. The D7000 is pretty much the only headphone I need at home...other than the PC360 for chat and competitive gaming...

I'm still not sure. I DO love the DT990s A LOT. You all know this... but I could definitely use those $250 right now for something else...*cough*PS Vita*cough*

It's just... man... I would miss them. On second thought... no, I still want them...

Jan 24, 2012 at 6:36 AM Post #3,473 of 48,565
Didn't you once tell me it makes more sense to keep/buy headphones with significantly different sound signatures? Sure the D7000 and DT 990's are of different worlds completely, one is open and one is closed, but don't they both have a V-shape profile? It would be different keeping a V-shape and a neutral headphone, no?

Jan 24, 2012 at 6:47 AM Post #3,474 of 48,565

Quote:

I thought something was wrong with me because I had an easier time pinpointing enemies with my D2k's than the HD598's :p, not to mention that they are absolutely better than the Senn's for my music taste. Obviously D2's aren't D7's, but still haha. The 598's were shipped back ~3days later. I guess I'm officially a Denon fanboy.

Definitely could see myself upgrading to the D7's down the road.

Lawl, all this time I thought electronics would ship internationally, then when I finally had decided to go for d7ks.... and they cost like 1000 € where I live. Back to listening to these cheap ass speakers, I guess.

Jan 24, 2012 at 6:50 AM Post #3,475 of 48,565
Didn't you once tell me it makes more sense to keep/buy headphones with significantly different sound signatures? Sure the D7000 and DT 990's are of different worlds completely, one is open and one is closed, but don't they both have a V-shape profile? It would be different keeping a V-shape and a neutral headphone, no?

Yeah, that's why I'm struggling with this decision. But honestly a neutral headphone would directly contradict the PC360 which I don't even like outside of gaming purposes. There's not a real instance in where I wouldn't be happy not using either the Denons or Beyers for all purposes outside of gaming w/voice chat. I could return the DT990s for some DT880s, but I know I'd miss the DT990s too much.

Oh yeah, damn your avatar. :p

Jan 24, 2012 at 9:35 AM Post #3,476 of 48,565
Thanks for the quick review. Everyone says that the SR850 sound like the HD668B. But your review has proven to me that statement is just crazy talk. My HD668B have more then enough bass. A song like James Blake's "Limit to your Love" you can just feel the sub-bass tickling your ears. In games only thing I have to compare it too right now I cause I don't play war games is White Knight Chronicles 2 I switched to mage so I could hear all the slams and booms of spells going off. The only thing I have done with my Superlux was change the cord to a cheap, shorter, and thicker Monoprice one and stuff the ear cups to give them some comfort. I love my Luxs but I would suggest anyone buying Lux's or Samson's get ear pad replacements cause that cheap vinyl leather is awful.

Quote:
Here's my impressions of the Samson SR850 as promised. As soon as I put them on, I was quite impressed, considering these are $50 headphones. They have a very nice soundstage, maybe not as big as the AD700 but impressive nonetheless. They sound like a much "fuller" AD700, they have a much more full-bodied sound compared to the "thin-sounding" AD700 (sorry I'm a noob at describing sound, doing my best here). And for that exact reason, they don't have quite the detail retrieval of the AD700. For example, consider a situation where there's gunfire going on near you and someone's approaching you from the flank or behind you, with the Samsons I wasn't able to hear his footsteps, whereas with the AD700 I did. I doubt these would suffice for a hardcore multi-player online competitive gamer, but for a casual gamer or even a casually competitive gamer, I don't see how you can go wrong with them, especially when you factor in the price.

Regarding the bass, according to the reviews, these are supposed to have a decent amount of bass. Strangley, there was none to be found when I palyed Metal Gear Online, the online component of MGS4. So I popped in MGS4 and went straight to a scene where there's tons of explosions all around you, again no bass...at all. I tried a few other such scenes, but still couldn't hear any bass. I am not sure if it's the game or what's going on, because as I said before these are supposed to have good bass. I don't have any other games to test them out with so I might download some demos later this week and see if I can hear some.

Jan 24, 2012 at 11:05 AM Post #3,477 of 48,565
Question: If I have a receiver performing dolby headphone, will voice chat come through too? I'm getting back into pc gaming and trying to get setup. I think I might be using teamspeak. Now, if voice would pass through, can I control the volume level of voice at the computer side (in-game options or teamspeak options?) since I won't have a knob like the astromix? Or would I just have to plug into motherboard for voice stuff and forgo dolby headphone when doing team play?

Jan 24, 2012 at 1:03 PM Post #3,478 of 48,565

Quote:
Question: If I have a receiver performing dolby headphone, will voice chat come through too? I'm getting back into pc gaming and trying to get setup. I think I might be using teamspeak. Now, if voice would pass through, can I control the volume level of voice at the computer side (in-game options or teamspeak options?) since I won't have a knob like the astromix? Or would I just have to plug into motherboard for voice stuff and forgo dolby headphone when doing team play?

If you have it set up right it should.  You just need to point the teamspeak client's output to the receiver as well.  Most games also have built in volume controls as well.  

Jan 24, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #3,480 of 48,565
Not a fan myself, but figured some would appreciate...

Modern Warfare 3 for PS3 and 360 for $39.99 on Amazon Gold Box as a Lightning Deal:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/goldbox/ref=cs_top_nav_gb27

Users who are viewing this thread

Back