Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Sep 15, 2011 at 1:01 AM Post #2,191 of 48,578
Trittons definitely look better than having 2xPS2 strapped to your head.

Btw guys, since we're all gamers here I thought I'd ask if anyone's keen to play 24 hours for charity:
http://www.extra-life.org/

Sep 15, 2011 at 7:14 PM Post #2,192 of 48,578
Regarding the Official PS3 headset. After reading the reviews on Amazon it seems they are no where near the quality of dolby headphone and say even the KSC75s. One review was saying that he preferred gaming in stereo with his other headphones compared to the Sony's. 

The main way the PS3 headset gives value is an all in one package(surround processing, headphones, mic/chat, wireless). The cheapest setup you could get for the PS3 (with out wireless) would be Earforce DSS, KSC75, USB Mic input, clipon/boom mic and totaling around $94. It would likely outperform the PS3 headset but lack the finer details(wireless, chat/game mixing)

Sep 16, 2011 at 5:03 AM Post #2,193 of 48,578
You really gotta take reviews saying that playing in stereo is better than virtual surround with a grain of salt because the virtual stuff is an acquired taste, you gotta get used to it first. 

I really want to try it out to see if their tech has improved at all but it'll be very hard to judge it against my setup because I just can't use the decoder from the Sony headphones. I have the Sony MDR DS1000 decoder box (didn't even bother trying the cheap headphones that came with it) that uses the Sony's version of DH and it's not as good as the real thing or even Silent Cinema. I might give it a try again later on but the noise floor on that thing ain't that great.

Sep 16, 2011 at 8:03 AM Post #2,194 of 48,578
You really gotta take reviews saying that playing in stereo is better than virtual surround with a grain of salt because the virtual stuff is an acquired taste, you gotta get used to it first. 

I really want to try it out to see if their tech has improved at all but it'll be very hard to judge it against my setup because I just can't use the decoder from the Sony headphones. I have the Sony MDR DS1000 decoder box (didn't even bother trying the cheap headphones that came with it) that uses the Sony's version of DH and it's not as good as the real thing or even Silent Cinema. I might give it a try again later on but the noise floor on that thing ain't that great.

^This.

There are a lot of naysayers about virtual surround, even on this very site. People haven't even heard Dolby Headphone with a good pair of cans and the right game, and automatically prefer stereo. Seen it way too much on here.

I hear a lot of people say they get perfect positional accuracy from stereo, when all I hear is sound almost in a 2d space, mostly all just left and right with a very LITTLE amount of front/rear depth. Nothing compares to a good 360 degree space like DH does for me.

Sep 17, 2011 at 5:02 PM Post #2,196 of 48,578
Warning: shameless advertising ahead

Guys mind drop your vote here: Petition for a "Video Games Lounge" subforum

ps: if you are gonna vote 'no' better not to bother 
redface.gif

thanks.

Sep 18, 2011 at 12:34 PM Post #2,197 of 48,578
I don't know if anyone brought this up, but has anyone used the 
[size=1.7em] "Ear Force DSS 7.1 Channel Dolby Surround Sound Processor"[/size]
[size=1.7em] http://www.amazon.com/Force-Channel-Dolby-Surround-Processor-Mac/dp/B003O0KICS/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1316361877&sr=8-3[/size]
[size=1.7em] Curious to know how it stacks up against the astro mixamp. If the differences are negligable, I might have to pick this up.[/size]
[size=1.7em] Sorry if this was mentioned before, I didn't want to read through 140+ pages.[/size]

Sep 18, 2011 at 12:40 PM Post #2,198 of 48,578
Yes it's been brought up a couple times.  Both the DSS and Mixamp offer the same dh processing, but the key differences are that Mixmap offers voice chat/game volume mixing while the DSS does not, so it's truly compatible with all 3rd party headphones and mics, while the DSS offers a bass boost.  The mixamp also has a lower noise floor than the DSS, as DSS you'll hear a static hiss even at the lowest volumes.

Sep 18, 2011 at 3:24 PM Post #2,200 of 48,578
akg 702 is wonderful, but if you want to hear explosions and everything with a lot of impact, maybe pc360 should be better (it has bass boost).

anyway, i do love my k702 with mixamp :p

Sep 18, 2011 at 3:52 PM Post #2,201 of 48,578
Hmm honestly I don't really care for explosions that much, I'm looking for some competetive headphones, so I can hear where the enemies are at etc :). Do i need anything else than the k702 & mixamp? a soundcard or something? I'm completely new to this :p.

Thanks

Sep 18, 2011 at 3:56 PM Post #2,202 of 48,578

Quote:
Hmm honestly I don't really care for explosions that much, I'm looking for some competetive headphones, so I can hear where the enemies are at etc :). Do i need anything else than the k702 & mixamp? a soundcard or something? I'm completely new to this :p.

Thanks

For competitive (FPS and such) they are GREAT.

If you play from ps3/xbox you only need mixamp+k702.

If you play from pc/laptop, you need something with optical output (for pc, asus xonar i think is good)

Sep 18, 2011 at 4:16 PM Post #2,204 of 48,578
Nah... you are cool if you already have optical output :p

The decoding will be done by mixamp... you just need a toslink cable to connect optical -> mixamp -> k702

Users who are viewing this thread

Back