Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Sep 12, 2011 at 10:38 AM Post #2,176 of 48,562
^This. Don't ever connect connect to your TV for your audio needs. If you're looking into the Mixamp, getting the feed from the TV will be horrible, as TVs tend to downconvert all audio signals to basic stereo. The fact that you have a very old TV is even worse. You will NOT be getting any relatively good virtual surround off the Mixamp if you connect it to the TV.

Feed it directly from the console, no ands ifs or buts.

Sep 12, 2011 at 2:44 PM Post #2,178 of 48,562
[size=medium]Hey everyone, I currently own a pair of ATH-AD900s and while I really like them I’ve been thinking of getting some new headphones that really immerse you in the game. I wouldn’t be using these with an amp (besides the Astro MixAMP when gaming on PS3/360) and I have a Creative X-Fi Titanium HD sound card in my PC. I also use my AD900s on my 3DS and PSP so the new cans would be used with those as well, and the Vita whenever it comes out.[/size]

[size=medium]I was looking at the Premium DT990 (32 OHM Version) but I’m open to suggestions as I’d like to spend a max of $300. [/size]

Sep 12, 2011 at 3:05 PM Post #2,179 of 48,562

Quote:
^This. Don't ever connect connect to your TV for your audio needs. If you're looking into the Mixamp, getting the feed from the TV will be horrible, as TVs tend to downconvert all audio signals to basic stereo. The fact that you have a very old TV is even worse. You will NOT be getting any relatively good virtual surround off the Mixamp if you connect it to the TV.

Feed it directly from the console, no ands ifs or buts.

thanks man, i know, i used that set up with my 720s on my downstairs set up for about 2 years so i know the connection, haha. 

the new TV just uses some prehistoric converter cable that i dont even understand but what it essentially does is remove the HDMI cable (with the three colored prongs) altogether and plugs in to the back of your xbox in replacement of the HDMI cable and plugs the other side into some dinosaur esque single jack 

ill just try and re-set up downstairs, its all good

thanks for helping guys

Sep 12, 2011 at 3:25 PM Post #2,181 of 48,562

Quote:
Is it a coaxial connector or what?

haha i just opened up my TV from the back of the wall and swallowed a plethora of dust hahaha. 

YES, its a coaxial connector!

maybe its not as prehistoric as i thought but thats the only way i can connect my xbox to my TV haha

unfortunately that cord replaces the standard HDMI cord so :frowning2:

Sep 12, 2011 at 3:58 PM Post #2,182 of 48,562
It's an old connection type for sure, but not prehistoric. I guess it depends on how old you are. I grew up on coaxial connectors.

All you need is a HDMI to composite convertor, RF Modulator, and then the Xbox Audio Breakout Dongle that I posted earlier. :p

Actually, now that I look at it this is getting pretty complicated. It would be far easier to work with a different TV. You'd need to buy three devices just to use the Mixamp. Not worth it.

Sep 12, 2011 at 4:26 PM Post #2,183 of 48,562

Quote:
It's an old connection type for sure, but not prehistoric. I guess it depends on how old you are. I grew up on coaxial connectors.

All you need is a HDMI to composite convertor, RF Modulator, and then the Xbox Audio Breakout Dongle that I posted earlier.
tongue.gif

Actually, now that I look at it this is getting pretty complicated. It would be far easier to work with a different TV. You'd need to buy three devices just to use the Mixamp. Not worth it.

hahaha i feel u.

thanks for the knowledge though, you cant put a price on that :D

Sep 12, 2011 at 5:42 PM Post #2,184 of 48,562
All you need is an RF modulator. Connect  the Composite cables from the stock hybrid component/composite cables that come with your xbox when you buy it new to the RF modulator  and bingo bango you get images on your tv. Then grab a cheap optical cable and plug it into the mixamp.

There's no point in going from HDMI to Composite if the xbox can already output Composite. And an RF modulator will run you  $10-20.

Sep 12, 2011 at 6:39 PM Post #2,186 of 48,562
Quote:
My TV uses an adapter that forces me to not be able to use my HDMI cable (with the optical plug) and use a different one entirely that has a different plug in jack. Its easily 15 years old but its my current set up so i cant really do anything about it. I was just hoping the astro didnt use optical and would plug in a different way so that i could still use this TV with my sound whores haha

i play sexbox of course, do PSN players even take gaming that seriously as to buy headphones? news to me haha (just kidding, but no seriously) :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FptCB_3DOz4

Sep 14, 2011 at 3:14 AM Post #2,187 of 48,562
Lol@coaxial input. I used that input for years, even when I had composite inputs. I didn't care about PQ back then. But yeah, an RCA to coaxial converter is cheap and lets you use the audio dongle for the 360 to the Mixamp, while still letting you use your old tv. Good luck.

Sep 14, 2011 at 9:05 PM Post #2,189 of 48,562
No, not interested in budget cans. That's what the KSC35/75 are for.

I am however super interested in the Official Sony PS3 Headset that has 7.1 virtual surround, wireless, and all for less than $100.

Not that I'd get it, since I doubt they'd compare to the PC360 + Mixamp, but I am curious as to how Sony's virtual surround compares to Dolby Headphone, and whether it's a good deal consididerng what you're getting. They 'sound' like a winner, but how do they SOUND? :D

http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Stereo-Headset-Playstation-3/dp/B0053OLY9O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1316048567&sr=8-1

Problem is, it only works on the PS3 and PC. No XBox 360 support... obviously.

Sep 14, 2011 at 10:57 PM Post #2,190 of 48,562

Quote:
No, not interested in budget cans. That's what the KSC35/75 are for.

I am however super interested in the Official Sony PS3 Headset that has 7.1 virtual surround, wireless, and all for less than $100.

Not that I'd get it, since I doubt they'd compare to the PC360 + Mixamp, but I am curious as to how Sony's virtual surround compares to Dolby Headphone, and whether it's a good deal consididerng what you're getting. They 'sound' like a winner, but how do they SOUND?
biggrin.gif

http://www.amazon.com/Wireless-Stereo-Headset-Playstation-3/dp/B0053OLY9O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1316048567&sr=8-1

Problem is, it only works on the PS3 and PC. No XBox 360 support... obviously.

haha they look mad dumb. although i cant really talk with my trittons hahaha

Users who are viewing this thread

Back