Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jul 6, 2011 at 5:07 PM Post #1,803 of 48,565
I have a dumb question out there for anyone who's willing to answer it, I just need to know if I can improve SQ by improving my set up

right now I am gaming through my

PS3 with the HDMI hooked up to my Samsung TV
I have the TV's 3.5mm jack plugged into my E9's line in
and my HD-600 is connected

Am I doing this right?

Jul 6, 2011 at 5:17 PM Post #1,804 of 48,565
Hmm...

You should connect always PS3 -> optical cable -> E9 -> HD-600

But seems you are not using mixamp, so maybe it doesn't matter at all :p

Jul 6, 2011 at 5:51 PM Post #1,806 of 48,565

Quote:
The E9 doesn't have an optical cable input

LOL

Yeah... you are right (I have my E9 here... too used to playing PS3 with mixamp)

Then you are cool with that config I guess...

But, you MUST get a MixAmp in a future :)

Jul 6, 2011 at 9:54 PM Post #1,807 of 48,565
 @obazavil When you use your DT 990's, in what order is the setup like dt990-e9-mixamp-console. If that's right, what kind of cable connects the e9 to the mixamp (probably sounds like a silly question but I just don't know). Any help would be greatly appreciated...

Jul 6, 2011 at 10:47 PM Post #1,809 of 48,565

Quote:
A 3.5mm male to male cable runs from the E9 to the mixamp. Your headphone connects to the E9.

Indeed. My setup is:

PS3 -> toslink (optical cable) -> MixAmp -> 3.5mm male to male -> E9 -> DT990

Jul 7, 2011 at 4:52 AM Post #1,810 of 48,565

Quote:
I have a dumb question out there for anyone who's willing to answer it, I just need to know if I can improve SQ by improving my set up

right now I am gaming through my

PS3 with the HDMI hooked up to my Samsung TV
I have the TV's 3.5mm jack plugged into my E9's line in
and my HD-600 is connected

Am I doing this right?

You're better off hooking the PS3 to the E9 directly with the RCA cables that came with the PS3. Running the HDMI->TV->E9 will mean that you're double amping and you're not likely getting a line level out. Make sure to adjust your audio settings in the PS3 accordingly.

Also, the 3.5mm jacks on TVs are meant for headphones and not line-outs. This means that the most TVs will have that jack EQ'd for headphones and what you really want is a signal that isn't being EQ'd. If your TV does have RCA line-outs then use them, my Samsung Series5 has them and I use that for watching regular tv while using my old school receiver hooked up to some bookshelf speakers.

Jul 9, 2011 at 10:13 PM Post #1,813 of 48,565
From experience of my friends on another forum, all 3 DT880s lack rear positioning in FPS. This comes from people who have owned different ohm versions at the same time. I've only owned the 32ohm, and a friend who owned the 32ohm and 600ohm said they sounded similar in most aspects, including not being the greatest at rear positioning. 250ohm/600ohm owner said the same. If FPS is a priority, I'd look elsewhere. Otherwise, the DT880 is probably the best headphone for overall use and balance with some slight emphasis on bass and treble.

Jul 10, 2011 at 1:29 AM Post #1,814 of 48,565
I sold my Mixamp about 2 years ago, along with my AD700s, so I all I've been using is my crappy monitor's built in speakers. Sadly, my monitor died of old age, and it was time for a new gaming setup.  After a long time away from headphone gaming, I finally bought a Mixamp and a pair of KSC75s (just to tide me over till my HD598s arrive from J&R).

They're definitely the best bang for your buck gaming headphones in the market (the KSC75s). When I got them, I just stared at them for a while, wondering how to put them on my ears. The sound stage is pretty good, and front/ back are differentiated well enough. 

That said, I can't wait to hear what the HD598 sounds. Along with the Dell U2311h I ordered, it'll be gaming nirvana. Yet even after spending all this money I'm still thinking about what my next headphone purchase is going to be (probably something closed; dt770? a900s? idk). It kind of makes me miss having a tiny monitor and a fat wallet lol

Jul 10, 2011 at 2:20 AM Post #1,815 of 48,565

Quote:
From experience of my friends on another forum, all 3 DT880s lack rear positioning in FPS. This comes from people who have owned different ohm versions at the same time. I've only owned the 32ohm, and a friend who owned the 32ohm and 600ohm said they sounded similar in most aspects, including not being the greatest at rear positioning. 250ohm/600ohm owner said the same. If FPS is a priority, I'd look elsewhere. Otherwise, the DT880 is probably the best headphone for overall use and balance with some slight emphasis on bass and treble.

I'm hoping that the stx control panel allows me to adjust the positioning to correct it.  However, in your original post you said the DT 770 pro 80 has the best directional sound out of any headset you tried.  Does this mean you can tell where a shot is coming from, but not whether it was high or far away?  Then for something like the k701 or ad700 you can tell both direction and depth/height?  Let's say someone is in a building on the 2nd floor.  Would it be easier to know they are on the 2nd floor with the k701/ad700 instead of the DT 770 pro 80?  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back