Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 18, 2020 at 11:07 AM Post #45,961 of 48,581
Thank you. I use the Game One plus mixamp currently. I have the Penrose that will hopefully be delivered today and the 7p delivered on Monday. I have only used open headphones as well. I will let you know what I think as it seems we have similar setups.

Yea, I've had Game Ones, PC37x, and the PC38x among other open backed headphones. Maybe I just need more time with the Penrose? Enjoy your testing!! :)

Dec 19, 2020 at 2:15 AM Post #45,963 of 48,581
Wish the Tygr had a detachable cable.

I honestly think it's inexcusable nowadays for cables to be permanently affixed to headphones. Cheap ones, fine, but audiophile Headphones should be detachable, period. 3.5mm ideally.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2020 at 3:40 AM Post #45,964 of 48,581
What do prefer between the tygr and pc38x? Really enjoying the pc38x and want to compare to the tygr

I'll have to go back and listen back to back to be more precise on this but I can't pick one or the other really. Then again, if I already had one of them now, I'm not sure it's worth getting the other.

Things I like the Tygr for are the less forward mids, comfort and its ability with music also. The PC38x is just more convenient with the flip to mute mic etc, easier to drive (if I just want to use the PS% controller) and in fps games might just edge it in hearing audio cues around you. Then again, I think the Tygr is a better all rounder personally with its sound suiting other genres better for me.

If I was only buying one now (and it had a removable cable) it would be the Tygr no doubt. As it is I'd say just enjoy your PC38x :)

Wish the Tygr had a detachable cable.

I honestly think it's inexcusable nowadays for cables to be permanently affixed to headphones. Cheap ones, fine, but audiophile Headphones should be detachable, period. 3.5mm ideally.

Completely agree - hate attached cables so I got my Tygr modded with a 3.5mm input. Makes such a difference for me - can use my VModa Boompro or Beyer Mic to turn it easily into a headset. Shouldn't have to sort this myself though - Beyer are marketing more at the streamer market I think (with the bundle they have with desktop mic). They could grab a huge part of the Sennheiser/Drop market imho if they bundled it with a boom mic like the Custom Game etc.

Dec 19, 2020 at 6:16 AM Post #45,965 of 48,581
It's probably a combination of Warzone audio in general plus the closed back nature of the Penrose. I just prefer the open backed headphone sound in games like this - just feels much more natural and believable which for me makes it easier to hear and place important sounds like footsteps. Not really a criticism of the Penrose it's just that everything sounds to me like its between my ears whereas the Tygr R and PC38x I have are much, much wider/more expansive.

It might also be the update.
Me and teammates are all finding it difficult lately

Dec 19, 2020 at 7:07 AM Post #45,966 of 48,581
Guys, I have a Sennheiser HD 598 plugged in a Sennheiser GSX 1000, but I want to get rid of cables, so I'm looking for a Wireless Headset for gaming on PC and PS5 (single player 99% of the time). After a research I found these options:

1) Audeze Penrose
2) Logitech G PRO X Wireless Lightspeed
3) Astro A50 Gen 4 Wireless
4) Steelseries Arctis 7P
5) Steelseries Arctis 7 2017/2019

Are they a good choice? Are they comparable to the HD 598? Which one should I get?

Thank you!

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2020 at 8:12 AM Post #45,968 of 48,581
Guys, I have a Sennheiser HD 598 plugged in a Sennheiser GSX 1000, but I want to get rid of cables, so I'm looking for a Wireless Headset for gaming on PC and PS5 (single player 99% of the time). After a research I found these options:

1) Audeze Penrose
4) Steelseries Arctis 7P

Are they a good choice? Are they comparable to the HD 598? Which one should I get?

Thank you!

Out of those options, as mentioned above, Penrose no doubt. As for comparable to the HD598 - not so sure. Not better or worse but different.

Dec 19, 2020 at 10:57 AM Post #45,969 of 48,581

1) Audeze Penrose
4) Steelseries Arctis 7P

Thank you!
Agreed, Penrose. Really loving mine. If you’re on PS5, make sure to toggle 3D audio on or off depending on the game. I hated 3D audio on with AC Valhalla but it’s great with Astro, Demons souls, or Spider-Man mm.

I’ve had top of the line from SteelSeries and while I thought it was pretty good, it just can’t compare to the Penrose.

Dec 19, 2020 at 1:17 PM Post #45,971 of 48,581
what is wrong in warzone? are the footsteps bad?

Quick update - might be obvious but these seem to sensitive to how they sit around your ear - just the slightest of adjustment to the angle at which the earcups surround your ear can have a significant impact on clamp/feel and to a certain degree, sound.

I remembered that I didn't like Warzone with 3d audio on as it muddied the sound to me - can't remember though if my Penrose testing on PS5 was with this on or off so will test again to make sure.

Was convinced earlier I'd get these returned but listening to some music via Bluetooth today wants me to get them to work for me.

Dec 19, 2020 at 5:01 PM Post #45,972 of 48,581
So I just ordered the ath-ad900x to go with my mixamp. My son actually took over my ad700s and I found a deal online for the ad900x for 69.99 usd. The one thing I'm debating is what mic I should get, I had an antlion back in the day but it did not stick to the ad700s so well and I've been looking at some of the cheaper stand alone mics like the razer siren mini. My only concern with the razer or similar is how much background noise it may pick up, any recommendations?

Dec 19, 2020 at 5:12 PM Post #45,973 of 48,581
So I just ordered the ath-ad900x to go with my mixamp. My son actually took over my ad700s and I found a deal online for the ad900x for 69.99 usd. The one thing I'm debating is what mic I should get, I had an antlion back in the day but it did not stick to the ad700s so well and I've been looking at some of the cheaper stand alone mics like the razer siren mini. My only concern with the razer or similar is how much background noise it may pick up, any recommendations?
Check out the Modmic.

Dec 20, 2020 at 12:40 AM Post #45,975 of 48,581
Hello, I have both the creative x7 and e5. I actually haven’t used the e5 virtual surround but I suspect it’s the same as the x7? I currently use the x7 as my main headphone dac/amp for my dt990 pros and use sbx virtual surround for gaming. My question is this. I saw sound blaster command was added to the g6. I think this adds superxfi virtual surround to it from the x3. Is the surround improvements worth picking one up for? I am quite surprised that none of these updates came to the x7 considering it’s still one of their flagships.

thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back