Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 12, 2020 at 9:41 AM Post #45,932 of 48,562
I am still having the same issue as above with all settings with my Mixamp and Sennheiser headphones. I am close to throwing in the towel and ordering new headphones. When I chat everyone says I am ear bleeding loud. I go to game settings for COD and my mic volume and sensitivity is at 0.1, lowest setting. Also the game/chat mixer does nothing now. Chat volume for me to listen to is so loud without any adjustment possible. Not sure what is going on, I have tried all the above settings to no avail. I think it might just be the mixamp is unable to be used in a similar fashion on PS5. Footstep sound is nowhere near accurate as it was on PS4 for the same game and same setup.

And what sucks now is that the Audeze is backordered until Mid January, so really that only leaves me with the Arctis 7P. Any other better headphones yet? I will never use the Sony headphones as the Gold headphones I tested on PS4 after so many people were like ThEsE ArE tHe BeSt EvA were trash.
Are you in party chat or game chat? If you're in party chat then adjusting the mic volume in the game is pointless.

I had similar issues with chat volume when switching from mixamp on PS4 to PS5 but it's because the PS4 had individual settings for game volume and chat volume, whereas on PS5 it has been combined into one balance slider, meaning it's a pain to adjust because either my party is too loud/quiet or my game is too loud/quiet. You can exit party chat and just chat in the game but that then has its own drawbacks.

In terms of the audio quality so long as your PS5 is set to send dolby bitstream via HDMI, and your TV is set to send audio via optical, passthrough, bitstream - it should sound pretty much how it did on PS4, as the mixamp is receiving the same data it would have on PS4

Dec 12, 2020 at 9:59 AM Post #45,933 of 48,562
Are you in party chat or game chat? If you're in party chat then adjusting the mic volume in the game is pointless.

I had similar issues with chat volume when switching from mixamp on PS4 to PS5 but it's because the PS4 had individual settings for game volume and chat volume, whereas on PS5 it has been combined into one balance slider, meaning it's a pain to adjust because either my party is too loud/quiet or my game is too loud/quiet. You can exit party chat and just chat in the game but that then has its own drawbacks.

In terms of the audio quality so long as your PS5 is set to send dolby bitstream via HDMI, and your TV is set to send audio via optical, passthrough, bitstream - it should sound pretty much how it did on PS4, as the mixamp is receiving the same data it would have on PS4
Game sounds good. Chat and game/chat mix inoperative. I am in game chat and the sliders don't help anywhere I have tried. My mic is super loud to my friends and people who are talking are super loud in the lobby. I just have to mute myself and everyone else.

Dec 13, 2020 at 12:38 AM Post #45,935 of 48,562
what USB cable do ya'll recommend for the mobius? From what i understand with the previous posts is it DOES work with tempest after all? My PS5 is pretty far from my couch and the cable i have is too stiff.

I dont want to invest in new headphones, but the G6 i think is reasonable. Anyone have a feeling on how the G6 with the old maddogs would compare to just the mobius? with the PS5 and PC

Dec 13, 2020 at 8:56 AM Post #45,936 of 48,562
With the G6 and 80ohms headphones should I use Lo-gain or hi-gain? Theorically the Lo-gain is enough but I remember reading somewhere that more power is better. Is that true?

The power output determines the volume of the headphone. Even if you get more power with high gain, you will lower the power with the volume control to the same level. So only use it if you are close to maxing out the volume dial on low gain.

It's sorta like switching gears on a manual transmission.

Last edited:
Dec 13, 2020 at 10:33 AM Post #45,937 of 48,562
So I've been using the G6 with the PS5 (through USB-tempest and SBX-optical) for a couple of days now. Although the sound quality is excellent, I,'ve realize there's a sound delay when using outputting Dolby Digital from the PS5.
I've also tried with the PS4 and got the same issue.
Note that using Dolby Digital from my 4K player doesn't produce any lag with the G6,so the problem is not the TV's passthrough.

It's not the G6 either since my Harman Kardon receiver also has sync issues from the PS5. The only way I found to fix this issue is to Output DTS from the PS5 (which doesn't work with the G6).

I've tried playing with some settings on the TV (some Sync and Arc settings) which didn't resolved anything. Also tried using other HDMI inputs just in case.

I'm 100% sure the problem is the PS4/5. Even with TV Speakers the sound has a slight delay.

As I mentioned I'm pretty sure I had the same issue with the PS4 but just didn't pay attention to it, but now I can't unsee it after discovering perfect sync from USB or DTS.

Anybody else can confirm my findings?

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2020 at 1:48 PM Post #45,939 of 48,562
Again, please help.
What type I need to chose on my tv when connecting ps5 to tv? I want to use tv jack 3,5 , what type of sound I need to select? On ps5 and tv.
Pcm or bitstream (dolby/dts) ?? What will be better and correct?
Not sure if your TV can process Bitstream (5.1) audio, thru it's headphone jack.
Maybe set everything to 2-channel stereo audio (PCM).

Dec 15, 2020 at 10:16 AM Post #45,942 of 48,562
Curious: if I were to use optical out of TV into an Asgard/Mobi DAC, am I losing anything up until the optical audio's lossy transfer? IF starting from scartch, are there any DACs compatible with PS5 that are not sacrificing/skimping on quality?

Dec 15, 2020 at 11:36 AM Post #45,943 of 48,562
Hi everyone. Just got a PS5 and having some issues. I use the Sennheiser Game One headphones and a very old Mixamp PRO. I also have a 48 OLED CX series I just bought because I knew it would have HDMI 2.1 and optical. I ended up plugging in the mixamp to the rear USB and the optical to my TV. I initially had the PS5 in Dolby Digital but directional sound was poor. I changed it to Linear PCM and it sounded a bit more directional but not nearly as good as the PS4. Also chat sounds echoey if that makes sense. Any idea how I can get this setup to work? I would prefer not to go wireless and deal with the issues and loss of quality that presents. Thanks!

Hi everyone. Just got a PS5 and having some issues. I use the Sennheiser Game One headphones and a very old Mixamp PRO. I also have a 48 OLED CX series I just bought because I knew it would have HDMI 2.1 and optical. I ended up plugging in the mixamp to the rear USB and the optical to my TV. I initially had the PS5 in Dolby Digital but directional sound was poor. I changed it to Linear PCM and it sounded a bit more directional but not nearly as good as the PS4. Also chat sounds echoey if that makes sense. Any idea how I can get this setup to work? I would prefer not to go wireless and deal with the issues and loss of quality that presents. Thanks!

Not sure, but wouldn't the adapter fix this: https://www.astrogaming.com/en-us/campaigns/hdmi-adapter-discount-page.html

I do hope so, having the same headset and amp but no ps5 yet

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2020 at 11:54 AM Post #45,944 of 48,562

Users who are viewing this thread

Back