Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Oct 1, 2020 at 4:00 PM Post #45,181 of 48,566
That's strange, both the base clasp and the clasp on the ModMic wireless are magnetic. I remember using the ModMic on the X2 directly without the base clasp which was convenient since they charge like $8 + shipping for just 3 base clasps. The mesh should be a metal that magnets can stick to. Try just sticking it on the mesh because I'm sure it should be able to stick and you can probably use the base clasp with another headphone! From what I remember it didn't scratch the metal, but if you're afraid of that, that's understandable.

I just tried it. You are correct, the mic side is magnetic. It worked, but there's a lot of play in the up and down movement without the base.

Oct 1, 2020 at 9:13 PM Post #45,184 of 48,566
Oct 2, 2020 at 1:13 PM Post #45,185 of 48,566
Oct 2, 2020 at 1:36 PM Post #45,186 of 48,566
What do you think about hyperx cloud s, g pro x and arctis pro + gamedac?
What are you looking for in a gaming headset? I have had TB 800, Arctis 5, HyperX Revolver S, Audeze Mobius, and trying out HD 660S with G6 amp/DAC currently. I have found that pretty much every headset has its pros and cons, to find the ones that make YOU happy, it just depends on what you’re going to use them for and what your expectations are.

Oct 2, 2020 at 1:49 PM Post #45,187 of 48,566
After excruciating months searching, and trying the 9600 and X2HR, I have settled on the PC37X.

Sounds good, and the attached mic is just so convenient. I was satisfied with the X2HR but wanted the best I could get for FPS gaming. However, now Ill surely upgrade to PC38x

For "headphones" that are good for music, movies, and single player games, Ill probably eventually buy the X2HR again.

Oct 2, 2020 at 5:16 PM Post #45,188 of 48,566
Hoping I could get some opinions on what my upgrade path should be for my console gaming rig. I play online competitive almost exclusively, for the last 4 years I've been on the PS4 Pro using an X7 Limited with AKG K712 and a 6 year old wired ModMic. Completely happy but I'm switching back to XBox with the Series X release and want to upgrade the audio since its been so long since I've tried something new. At this point I'm still confused if I should stick with an external VSS box or if the XSX's internal spatial surround will be better - and let me go out USB straight to something like a Schiit Hel. Anyways, don't want to get ahead of myself there. What higher end setups are looking good for Series X based on what we know of it so far? I know its prudent to wait and see but waiting for Nov 10 to roll around has really given me the itch.

Oct 3, 2020 at 8:02 AM Post #45,189 of 48,566
Hoping I could get some opinions on what my upgrade path should be for my console gaming rig. I play online competitive almost exclusively, for the last 4 years I've been on the PS4 Pro using an X7 Limited with AKG K712 and a 6 year old wired ModMic. Completely happy but I'm switching back to XBox with the Series X release and want to upgrade the audio since its been so long since I've tried something new. At this point I'm still confused if I should stick with an external VSS box or if the XSX's internal spatial surround will be better - and let me go out USB straight to something like a Schiit Hel. Anyways, don't want to get ahead of myself there. What higher end setups are looking good for Series X based on what we know of it so far? I know its prudent to wait and see but waiting for Nov 10 to roll around has really given me the itch.
You could still use the X7 with VSS turned off and use the internal VSS on the Xbox. Assuming it gets passed through usb or whatever.

Man, I dunno what path I would take as an upgrade to the K712, tbh. Maybe an HD800S, lol, but that's prohibitively expensive. I really wish they could figure out a way to lower the cost to something realistically feasible.

Oct 3, 2020 at 11:44 AM Post #45,191 of 48,566
still no word on how the PS5's Tempest 3D Engine will work

and if the console supports USB Dac/amp, unlike the PS4
Right. That would figure that I start getting in to hifi audio again and the PS5 wont play nice with amps and DACs.

Oct 3, 2020 at 1:35 PM Post #45,192 of 48,566
You could still use the X7 with VSS turned off and use the internal VSS on the Xbox. Assuming it gets passed through usb or whatever.

Man, I dunno what path I would take as an upgrade to the K712, tbh. Maybe an HD800S, lol, but that's prohibitively expensive. I really wish they could figure out a way to lower the cost to something realistically feasible.

Yeah, not opposed to HD800S but audio equipment purchases of that price point usually go to my 2 channel system. Maybe instead of 'better' than K712 I just go for different and get into a set of planars? Interested in this open planarmagnetic you're teasing about. Either way, looks like I might wait a bit to see what develops.

Oct 3, 2020 at 4:41 PM Post #45,193 of 48,566
While we wait for Mad Lust Envy's big tease review I am thinking of a backup in case for some reason i cannot get the headphones that would be mentioned. I am curious has anyone gotten the new 2020 HIFIMAN HE400i, How do they compare to the older ones? Are they good for single player games?

thanks
https://www.amazon.ca/HIFIMAN-HE400i-2020-Version-Professional/dp/B08BC5CM9N

Oct 3, 2020 at 7:15 PM Post #45,194 of 48,566
If anyone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it:

I recently got some 660S and a SBX G6 (SBX mode; Direct mode not available) to use with my PS4 over optical in L-PCM mode. I tried them out and tbh I was a little disappointed. I don’t know what I was expecting but I wasn’t able to pick up footstep direction in Apex Legends very well and the low end seemed lacking. I’m not sure if I set something up wrong or if it’s the characteristics of the 660S/G6; it seems like the HyperX Revolver S is able to outperform them and the Audeze Mobius sounds fantastic.

Any help appreciated :) Thx

Oct 3, 2020 at 7:58 PM Post #45,195 of 48,566
If anyone could point me in the right direction I would appreciate it:

I recently got some 660S and a SBX G6 (SBX mode; Direct mode not available) to use with my PS4 over optical in L-PCM mode. I tried them out and tbh I was a little disappointed. I don’t know what I was expecting but I wasn’t able to pick up footstep direction in Apex Legends very well and the low end seemed lacking. I’m not sure if I set something up wrong or if it’s the characteristics of the 660S/G6; it seems like the HyperX Revolver S is able to outperform them and the Audeze Mobius sounds fantastic.

Any help appreciated :) Thx
The 660S is apparently a very revealing headphone, which is tuned a lot differently than what you're used to. For one, it's gonna have way less bass. From the graphs I've seen, it has a massive roll off below 100hz. That means, it's not going to be a very immersive headphone with potent bass.

As for being able to pick up footstep direction, it's entirely possible you set the G6 up wrong. Just turning on SBX is not all you have to do.

1. Make sure the G6 is receiving a 5.7/7.1 signal via USB or if on console, Dolby Digital 5.1.
2. Make sure the GAME itself is NOT set to headphone mode, headphone surround, or ANYTHING labelled headphone. Remember, the G6 is the one doing the processing for the headphone, NOT the game. So the game must be outputting something akin to home theater 5.1/7.1 (which is what the G6 needs to turn into virtual surround for the headphone). This is the main mistake people make when using virtual surround devices. No game should be in headphone sound modes. That is ONLY for when you're NOT using virtual surround devices like the G6 SBX mode.

Don't ever, EVER expect vertical sound positioning. things like the G6 can only give you HORIZONTAL direction of where sounds are. So if people are above or below you, you'll only be able to hear that they're in front of you, behind you or the sides. Whether its above or below... that's up to you to figure out.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back