Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Sep 1, 2020 at 3:59 PM Post #45,076 of 48,566
Your tv should have an optical out. Assuming it's of the past decade or so.

Since the ps5 will have surround options in game, you won't need multi channel from the ps5 output itself.

At least I'm ASSUMING the surround options will be in game or within ps5 options so that everything will output that sound.

It's a monitor, so no Optical there

Guess i'll have to buy that adapter anyway

Sep 1, 2020 at 4:32 PM Post #45,077 of 48,566
Your tv should have an optical out. Assuming it's of the past decade or so.

Since the ps5 will have surround options in game, you won't need multi channel from the ps5 output itself.

At least I'm ASSUMING the surround options will be in game or within ps5 options so that everything will output that sound.
Also keep in mind that many optical outputs on devices like TVs and receivers are limited to 2.0 for audio pass-through. Fine for a stereo DAC, but won't work for external VSS devices in many cases. You'd want to check if the TV would allow multi-channel pass-through first. Some will, some won't. A number of manufacturers have started using ARC for multi-channel audio, which is still HDMI.

Sep 1, 2020 at 4:40 PM Post #45,078 of 48,566
PS5 Questions:
Will 3D audio be standard over USB, or is it reserved for Sony Pulse 3D headset and Dual Sense audio output?
Clearly the Pulse 3D has chatmix. So why doesn't headsets that were just announced like the TB Steath 600/700 Gen 2 and Astro A20?
Is chatmix not going to be possible on PS5 via USB other than with Sony branded headsets?

Sep 1, 2020 at 4:47 PM Post #45,079 of 48,566
PS5 Questions:
Will 3D audio be standard over USB, or is it reserved for Sony Pulse 3D headset and Dual Sense audio output?
Clearly the Pulse 3D has chatmix. So why doesn't headsets that were just announced like the TB Steath 600/700 Gen 2 and Astro A20?
Is chatmix not going to be possible on PS5 via USB other than with Sony branded headsets?

Some of them support 3D Audio through the DualSense's 3.5mm input

So far its all we know

Sony is taking too long to drop this info. We dont even know the price yet

Sep 1, 2020 at 10:56 PM Post #45,081 of 48,566
Also keep in mind that many optical outputs on devices like TVs and receivers are limited to 2.0 for audio pass-through. Fine for a stereo DAC, but won't work for external VSS devices in many cases. You'd want to check if the TV would allow multi-channel pass-through first. Some will, some won't. A number of manufacturers have started using ARC for multi-channel audio, which is still HDMI.
I was thinking more of the internal VSS solutions that are coming for the Xbox Series X and PS5. They won't need more than basic 2.0 PCM output.

The question is whether they'll output to more than just the controller's analog out. LKike, will it pass through the HDMI, or usb dac (if possible)

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2020 at 12:28 AM Post #45,082 of 48,566
I was thinking more of the internal VSS solutions that are coming for the Xbox Series X and PS5. They won't need more than basic 2.0 PCM output.

The question is whether they'll output to more than just the controller's analog out. LKike, will it pass through the HDMI, or usb dac (if possible)

Yep, that's my question as well

Sep 2, 2020 at 4:55 PM Post #45,083 of 48,566
wait, Sennheiser ditched their gaming division?
They spun it off, it's become it's own company. http://eposaudio.com/
EPOS is still providing the PC37X to Drop, and the GSP and GSX products to everyone (and warranty support for the gaming products), but we'll have to see what the future holds for them.

they said Astro is making some kind of HDMI splitter to Optical
they'll give more info closer to launch
***snip***
what's the best option now? @Evshrug
wait to see if the PS5 supports USB gear?
buy some HDMI to optical adaptor?
There are already HDMI/Optical splitters on the market... but still, I would wait until we know more at launch. Like you said, if the PS5 supports USB audio output, and the 3D spacial audio is premixed into the signal before the USB output, it might be as easy as plugging in your current DAC/Amp (or a DAC/Amp with a headphone out and a mic in, like the GSX1000, Schiit Hel, Creative G3, etc). Or maybe some companies will pay the license for a more integrated solution. No point buying anything now before the console is available!

Wonder if having a dac/amp prevents me from having the built in 3D Audio of the PS5 tho
Well, if you imagine all future games working like The Last of Us or Battlefield V do on the current generation hardware, the 3D audio is processed and mixed (or "baked in" to the signal) before a DAC even sees it. You could play those games right now in 3D or 2D audio with your SMSL plugged right in to the USB port of your PS4.

Thanks for watching all my YouTube videos by the way. I'm trying to encourage Mad as well! He just streamed on Twitch yesterday.

Sep 3, 2020 at 1:31 AM Post #45,084 of 48,566
Hey guys! So I got my X2HR but they dont seem to sound right on my PC! When playing games like Apex or Siege, the sound is very hollow, almost like its distant. I have to also put the volume much higher, almost max, to get it to sound "full" but even then it just sounds like its not correct.

For example, the footsteps my character makes sound distant or muffled, whereas my HyperX Core sounds completely fine.

Im assuming its my motherboard because I feel the sound is fine on my phone and the PS4's controller jack. The motherboard is a asrock z77 Pro 3.

I suppose I should invest in a DAC/AMP so Im going to shop for the cheapest possible budget DAC/AMP as I cant spend too much. Hoping to find something below $60 CAD, unless thats unreasonable

Thanks again for your guys's help. Tomorrow my SHP9600s arrive and Im curious to compare

Sep 3, 2020 at 1:42 AM Post #45,085 of 48,566
You might also wanna try another cable. Any 3.5mm / Aux cable is fine.

And from experience, make sure the cable is fully FULLY inserted. Even a fraction of it not, can ruin the sound.

Sep 3, 2020 at 2:20 AM Post #45,086 of 48,566
Hey all, I was wondering if anyone could help make a recommendation on my next purchase. Right now I am using the HE-4XX into a X-Fi Titanium HD. I have thoroughly enjoyed these headphones, but the headband is on its last legs, and the pads have come unglued from the mounting rings. I'm in Australia so getting a new classic headband sent out is a ~ $120AUD affair, and a new set of Dekoni pads will be an additional $100 - 120AUD, so $220 - $240 total to repair these. I wouldn't really want to spend more than $500 AUD on my next purchase, but I could get the HE-400i 2020 Edition ($279), the HE-400s ($364), or the HE-400i ($399), and feel like any of these may make more sense than paying more than 50% of their cost to repair my HE-4XX.

All of that said, I am tossing up spending the extra to get the Audeze Mobius ($569) based on the stellar wrap that MLE gave in his review, but am totally unsure if the price is worth it for the extra features of the Mobius, and to what degree it beats out the Hifiman options I have available. The Mobius being self-driven could be a really nice plus considering the age of my Titanium HD, but I am unsure where to land, and really keen for recommendations given my budget.

Sep 3, 2020 at 7:57 AM Post #45,087 of 48,566
Hey all, I was wondering if anyone could help make a recommendation on my next purchase. Right now I am using the HE-4XX into a X-Fi Titanium HD. I have thoroughly enjoyed these headphones, but the headband is on its last legs, and the pads have come unglued from the mounting rings. I'm in Australia so getting a new classic headband sent out is a ~ $120AUD affair, and a new set of Dekoni pads will be an additional $100 - 120AUD, so $220 - $240 total to repair these. I wouldn't really want to spend more than $500 AUD on my next purchase, but I could get the HE-400i 2020 Edition ($279), the HE-400s ($364), or the HE-400i ($399), and feel like any of these may make more sense than paying more than 50% of their cost to repair my HE-4XX.

All of that said, I am tossing up spending the extra to get the Audeze Mobius ($569) based on the stellar wrap that MLE gave in his review, but am totally unsure if the price is worth it for the extra features of the Mobius, and to what degree it beats out the Hifiman options I have available. The Mobius being self-driven could be a really nice plus considering the age of my Titanium HD, but I am unsure where to land, and really keen for recommendations given my budget.
Wait just over one month....

Sep 3, 2020 at 10:14 AM Post #45,088 of 48,566

I would recommend getting a headphone amplifier and connect it to the Ti-HD's (Titanium-HD) RCA jacks.
JDS Atom or Schiit Magni or other.
The headphone amplifier built into the Ti-HD is halfway decent, but the Atom or Magni or other might improve audio quality.

Sep 3, 2020 at 5:07 PM Post #45,090 of 48,566
try the newer Sennheiser 500 series, like the 579 or the 599 (own)
i can reccoment the AKG K702 as well

these are what i personally own

but can also "recommend" some that i haven't heard or experienced, but that are good for gaming from what i hear:

Beyerdynamic DT 880, DT 990 or the TYGR 300R

all withing your budget (maybe not the K702 if you live in the US)

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm still leaning headset, but slowly starting to entertain a headphone+mic combo again.

@John Q Lin What about the HD 800 made you sell it, and make you not want to buy another? Could your reservations be solved with the HD 800S, and an amp that matches up better? What is it about the Beyerdynamic T1 that has you looking around again?

@AlBorland I found that the controller’s headphone output is a significant filter that degrades the potential audio quality of any headphone. Thankfully it uses a wireless radio (2.4GHz?) instead of Bluetooth and an outdated codec for its connection to a PlayStation, however the internal DAC and amp are weak and smear things significantly. The Astro Mixamp isn’t the cutting edge of sound design either, but it should give a noticeable quality improvement over the controller.

The first thing I would recommend is inquiring with Skullcandy about their warranty repair service. That used to be a proud hallmark of theirs, and it can’t hurt to ask them kindly.

Second, if you prefer Windows Sonic over the Dolby Headphone in the Mixamp (which only works properly and to its full potential when receiving a 7.1 Dolby bitstream from the optical input... you tried it that way, right??), then you can use Sonic with any USB DAC/Amp you want. ...Sorry, just remembered you’re playing on an XBOne, which doesn’t have generic USB audio support unless the peripheral maker pays a substantial tax (price is passed along to the consumer). That makes things a bit harder... if you’re not using a microphone or have a separate solution though, I suppose you could try any DAC/amp that has an optical option, as long as you set the optical output of the XBOne to 2-channel PCM. It’s early days for “solving” audio for the XSX, we just don’t know how it will or won’t work yet, so it’s too soon to know how to set things up with that.

Sennheiser and Beyerdynamic are two examples of companies that take their regular audiophile headphones and add a broadcast quality boom mic. Between the PC37X and (Creative equivalent of the Custom One Pro) H7 Tournament, I use the PC37X for gaming on my iPad, video voiceovers, and internet calls, while my wife likes the H7 for recording audiobooks.

Really appreciate the post. One thing you touched on that I'm really struggling with is the optimal Xbox One audio settings - my primary focus right now is positional accuracy in MW. Below are the setups I have tried.

My current setup:

20200903_001622.jpg

When I try to enable the bitstream output below (which I have to toggle the mixamp between PC and console mode to do), the sound doesn't seem to be any better and I lose my mic:
20200902_175533.jpg

I've tried 10 different EQ presets that are supposedly the "best" to hear footsteps (in particular MW), but right now the top setup is giving me the best results. Everything else sounds "tinny" and ear piercing. I'm using a slightly modified stock Tournament preset that doesn't make my ears bleed and is ok, but all of them feel like even when directional positioning is ok, distance becomes problematic.

Some other contradictory info I read today was that Stereo is actually best for positional sound, so I have no idea What to use, haha.

Apologies if I've taken this a bit offtopic for the thread, but ultimately I want to ensure I've optimized my settings before making the decision to scrap the A40's and go with a different setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back