Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 5, 2019 at 4:47 AM Post #41,793 of 48,562
I’m not computer savvy, but there has got to be a way to pass the Dolby 5.1 signal from the PS4 optical through a computer and out to the SX-Fi via USB. Not ideal in any way, but should be possible.

Anyone know how to do this?
Nope, decoding Dolby Digital to 5.1 PCM and sending it to another digital device would violate Dolby ToS.

Jan 5, 2019 at 11:09 AM Post #41,794 of 48,562
Hello guys! Rly need ur help.
I have old PCI-E card in my pc, Creative x-fi titanium hd. I use both RCA ports(active speakers krk) and 1 jack(K712). Im looking for something newer and mb better or at least same sound quality, with option to connect PS4. Also im tired to turn off/on headphone jack then its needed from pci-e.
I have only 2days while my friend in Austria and theres a chance to get something by good price.
And rly thank god i find this resource Head fi.org. I get tons of new info for me.

After few days in searching/reading my chose went to SMSL M6. https://www.amazon.de/SMSL-Decoder-...e=UTF8&qid=1546686884&sr=8-2&keywords=SMSL+M6

Is it good idea to swap pci-e soundcard for usb desktop dac amp? Also interesting is there any option in M6 to switch rca/jack modes without turning out cables) I type to SMSL support today but still no answer..
Rly hope for ur advice! Thanks and Happy New YEar!

Jan 5, 2019 at 12:22 PM Post #41,795 of 48,562
If I was you, as the Ti-HD (Titanium-HD) makes a good DAC.
I would keep using the Ti-HD and make sure the motherboard's on-board audio is disabled in the BIOS.
Get a headphone amplifier and connect the Ti-HD's RCA jacks to the input on the head amp and connect the head amp's line-output to the KRK studio monitors.

With the PS4, do you need headphone surround sound or do you normally use it in stereo (2.0) mode?

Jan 5, 2019 at 1:11 PM Post #41,796 of 48,562
If I was you, as the Ti-HD (Titanium-HD) makes a good DAC.
I would keep using the Ti-HD and make sure the motherboard's on-board audio is disabled in the BIOS.
Get a headphone amplifier and connect the Ti-HD's RCA jacks to the input on the head amp and connect the head amp's line-output to the KRK studio monitors.

With the PS4, do you need headphone surround sound or do you normally use it in stereo (2.0) mode?

Motherboard's on-board audio is disabled in the BIOS.
If i understand correct, i find http://www.schiit.com/products/magni-1 as head apm for example, and if i right its look simple: Ti HD>head amp>krk. And looks like no others optical in for PS4.
Also find https://www.amazon.de/SMSL-M3-Verst...=UTF8&qid=1546712378&sr=8-14&keywords=SMSL+SA but there is no RCA in.
With ps4 i only have expirience with tv sound) so i prefer if possible make surround for deep dive in games.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2019 at 1:54 PM Post #41,797 of 48,562
Motherboard's on-board audio is disabled in the BIOS.
If i understand correct, i find http://www.schiit.com/products/magni-1 as head amp for example, and if i right its look simple: Ti HD>head amp>krk. And looks like no others optical in for PS4.
Also find https://www.amazon.de/SMSL-M3-Verstärker-mit-Kopfhörer-schwarz/dp/B019Y5TR6O/ref=sr_1_14?ie=UTF8&qid=1546712378&sr=8-14&keywords=SMSL+SA but there is no RCA in.
With ps4 i only have experience with TV sound) so i prefer if possible make surround for deep dive in games.
For headphone surround sound with the PS4, you would need something like the Astro Mix-amp, connected to the PS4's optical output,
or connect the PS4's HDMI output to a modern A/V receiver (that has built in headphone surround sound), to have headphone surround sound, with the PS4.

The Ti-HD can pass it's CMSS3D headphone surround sound out it's line-output (RCA) jacks.
The SMSL M3 could be connected to both the PC or PS4, but offers no built in function for headphone surround sound.

Jan 5, 2019 at 3:11 PM Post #41,798 of 48,562
How hard is it..brain gonna blow up!
I think i safe money and buy some good desktop dac amp for next year. Can some1 tell any good solutions for desktop dac amp? About +-400 euro. With rca, headphones, opt for ps4 and usb for pc ofc =) something like SMSL M6 but better, coz looks like no reason swap Ti HD for this, only different cable management.
At least i get AKG 712pro this year =)

Jan 5, 2019 at 4:59 PM Post #41,801 of 48,562
Nono, no Creative, have about 10years expirience with them) Creative is a trash as mark, IMO.

Maybe i get https://www.amazon.de/Creative-Labs-Sound-blasterx-G1-7-1-Kanäle/dp/B01DLY3IW8/ref=sr_1_11?ie=UTF8&qid=1546723520&sr=8-11&keywords=creative+usb+ps4 only for PS4 for this year.

Try the G6 also which is much cheaper and you may not need the X7's feature set (You had a high enough budget suggested though). The X7 has RCA outs but is only really worth it if you want to also use its passive speaker amp. Do not try whatever it is you linked.

Creative makes some good products, some bad ones. The X7 and G6 are pretty well regarded in this thread.

If you do not want virtual surround from your dac/amp, then there are tons of options. You may find some more info on what is the best bang for your buck for a purely 2 channel optical input DAC/amp elsewhere on the forum, as this thread is mostly devoted to VSS-based solutions.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2019 at 5:10 PM Post #41,802 of 48,562
Try the G6 also which is much cheaper and you may not need the X7's feature set (You had a high enough budget suggested though). The X7 has RCA outs but is only really worth it if you want to also use its passive speaker amp. Do not try whatever it is you linked.

Creative makes some good products, some bad ones. The X7 and G6 are pretty well regarded in this thread.

If you do not want virtual surround from your dac/amp, then there are tons of options. You may find some more info on what is the best bang for your buck for a purely 2 channel optical input DAC/amp elsewhere on the forum, as this thread is mostly devoted to VSS-based solutions.

G6 dont have RCA, i need RCAs for active speakers. As u say ill try find something else, but it must be rly good for buy in next New Year) much better then Creative :wink:

Btw can u send me to correct topic for searchs desktop dac amp, its a hard to travel here with my low eng)

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2019 at 5:27 PM Post #41,803 of 48,562
G6 dont have RCA, i need RCAs for active speakers. As u say ill try find something else, but it must be rly good for buy in next New Year) much better then Creative :wink:

Btw can u send me to correct topic for searchs desktop dac amp, its a hard to travel here with my low eng)

Seriously, don't get hung up on a brand name. That is a mistake. The X7 stacks up pretty well against more expensive "audiophile" hardware. Check out the in depth review of it here.

The G6 is not far behind in terms of audio quality and for the price and feature set I'd put it up against a Magni 3 Modi combo, anything from Topping, Fiio E10k, etc. Also if you have active speakers all you need is a line out which the G6 has. Again: if you want virtual surround from the PS4, these are your best options.

Check the Dedicated Source Components sub forum for more info on alternative dacs and amps.

Jan 5, 2019 at 5:36 PM Post #41,805 of 48,562
Seriously, don't get hung up on a brand name. That is a mistake. The X7 stacks up pretty well against more expensive "audiophile" hardware. Check out the in depth review of it here.

The G6 is not far behind in terms of audio quality and for the price and feature set I'd put it up against a Magni 3 Modi combo, anything from Topping, Fiio E10k, etc. Also if you have active speakers all you need is a line out which the G6 has. Again: if you want virtual surround from the PS4, these are your best options.

Check the Dedicated Source Components sub forum for more info on alternative dacs and amps.

I remember the time then creative stop software update after Win XP and how many time i spend with X-fi HD on Win 7 untill i find Daniel X-Fi Support Pack. That was amazing time)

And i dont get about G6. How can i connect 2x RCA (krk rp5g3)from my speakers in 1 line out? Feel myself stupid :D
THis X7 review most epic review ever
And thx for "Dedicated Source Components"!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back