Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 2, 2019 at 2:56 PM Post #41,761 of 48,562
So I this is the VSS setup I'm building right now:

ROG Hero VI internal sound card (7.1) > external DAC (stereo) > external amp > stereo headphones

How should I hook up the sound card to the external dac if I wanna use surround virtualization software (HeSuVi)? I could use either speaker/headphone line out or optical S/PDIF. Does it matter? Cuz I'm wondering: When using analog line out, won't the audio already be processed by the internal sound card DAC before it reaches the external? Would that double dac processing be bad in terms of audio quality? On the other hand, what happens if I send the 7.1 VSS/HeSuVi stream via the optical to the stereo DAC? Will the 7.1 VSS still reach my ears the way it should?

It's the first time I'm experimenting with external dacs and such so I'm a bit confused.

Jan 2, 2019 at 9:02 PM Post #41,762 of 48,562
Trying to figure out why my mic is not working during regular gamechat on xbox. When hooked up to the adapter I have on the controller and a Y cable it works fine, but the sound is nowhere near what it could be in my dt990’s. If I hook the headphones up to my Yamaha reciever they sound great but I can’t hear gamechat if the mic is plugged into the controller. If the mic is unplugged then I can hear teammates. Xbox is hooked up to the reciever via HDMI. Frustrating. Is there a portable amp option possibly that can get hooked up to the controller?

Jan 2, 2019 at 11:54 PM Post #41,763 of 48,562
How should I hook up the sound card to the external dac if I wanna use surround virtualization software (HeSuVi)?
VSS from HeSuVi should work whether you have your dac plugged in via usb or optical.

Would that double dac processing be bad in terms of audio quality?
There is no such thing as "double dac processing". You may have gotten this confused with double amping. Double amping doesn't really hurt sound quality but, if the first amp has a lot of background hiss, the second amp will also amplify the first amps background hiss which can be very annoying.

Using a portable amp with a phone is technically double amping and that is perfectly fine.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2019 at 12:45 AM Post #41,764 of 48,562
ROG Hero VI internal sound card (7.1) > external DAC (stereo) > external amp > stereo headphones
How should I hook up the sound card to the external dac if I wanna use surround virtualization software (HeSuVi)? I could use either speaker/headphone line out or optical S/PDIF. Does it matter? Cuz I'm wondering: When using analog line out, won't the audio already be processed by the internal sound card DAC before it reaches the external? Would that double dac processing be bad in terms of audio quality? On the other hand, what happens if I send the 7.1 VSS/HeSuVi stream via the optical to the stereo DAC? Will the 7.1 VSS still reach my ears the way it should?
It's the first time I'm experimenting with external dacs and such so I'm a bit confused.
Almost every modern sound card will not output (sound card processed) headphone surround sound, thru the analog ports.
Use the sound card's S/PDIF (optical/coaxial) output.
You can not double DAC any audio stream,
You could do DAC > ADC > DAC, but there is no good reason for it, as every time you change from analog to digital and back to analog, chances are you lose a little of the audio quality.

You can have a separate DAC for each PCM audio stream,
like 2.0 stereo audio could have one DAC for the right channel and one DAC for the left channel.

Jan 3, 2019 at 9:02 AM Post #41,765 of 48,562
Hi,

I'm wondering if any of you could offer some advice.

I've been using the X2's with the Creative G6 and fancied trying out the AKG 712 Pro's. They've arrived today and they sound great, even more comfortable than the X2's, which I thought was impossible...

But I wish I could turn the volume up on them just a little bit more. I've got the dial all the way up on the G6, but I can't help but feeling it's missing that little bit extra but not being able to turn them up a little bit more.

Or maybe it's just my ears...? I don't know. They're not quiet by any means, but I'm surprised this is seemingly the max.

Anything else I can do? Any settings within the G6 that I could tweak?

Jan 3, 2019 at 9:30 AM Post #41,766 of 48,562
Hi,
I'm wondering if any of you could offer some advice.
I've been using the X2's with the Creative G6 and fancied trying out the AKG 712 Pro's. They've arrived today and they sound great, even more comfortable than the X2's, which I thought was impossible...
But I wish I could turn the volume up on them just a little bit more. I've got the dial all the way up on the G6, but I can't help but feeling it's missing that little bit extra but not being able to turn them up a little bit more.
Or maybe it's just my ears...? I don't know. They're not quiet by any means, but I'm surprised this is seemingly the max.
Anything else I can do? Any settings within the G6 that I could tweak?
Do you have maxed out the volume control of the source of whatever the G6 is plugged into?

Jan 3, 2019 at 9:42 AM Post #41,767 of 48,562
Do you have maxed out the volume control of the source of whatever the G6 is plugged into?

Apologies, I should have mentioned that the G6 is plugged into my PS4. The only option I can see within the PS4 is "Volume Control (Headphones)", but that doesn't change the overall voume.

I'm going back and forth between the X2 and AKG 712 Pro, comparing the same music and footage captured in game, and the latter do sound better overall, but they seem to be ever so slightly quiet, like I'd love to be able to take them up a notch or two.

It might be because I'm coming from the X2, which if anything were probably a little too loud, and they're so bass heavy too. Might be a case of needing a little time to adjust, but I just wondered if they were any other options, particularly within the G6 itself.

Thanks for the response.

Jan 3, 2019 at 10:13 AM Post #41,768 of 48,562
Trying to figure out why my mic is not working during regular gamechat on xbox. When hooked up to the adapter I have on the controller and a Y cable it works fine, but the sound is nowhere near what it could be in my dt990’s. If I hook the headphones up to my Yamaha reciever they sound great but I can’t hear gamechat if the mic is plugged into the controller. If the mic is unplugged then I can hear teammates. Xbox is hooked up to the reciever via HDMI. Frustrating. Is there a portable amp option possibly that can get hooked up to the controller?
I’m not by my Xbox so I’m going by memory, forgive me if I’m not correctly remembering where the setting is.

If you go into the settings app, then sound and display, then volume, you should see a setting there to change chat output, have it set on headphones and speakers.

I know it works if your audio is going out of the optical port on the Xbox, but I’m pretty sure it works with hdmi as well.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2019 at 10:29 AM Post #41,769 of 48,562
I’m not by my Xbox so I’m going by memory, forgive me if I’m not correctly remembering where the setting is.

If you go into the settings app, then sound and display, then volume, you should see a setting there to change chat output, have it set on headphones and speakers.

I know it works if your audio is going out of the optical port on the Xbox, but I’m pretty sure it works with hdmi as well.

Yea I definitely tried that with no luck. Never tried it with the optical though.

Jan 3, 2019 at 10:44 AM Post #41,770 of 48,562
Yea I definitely tried that with no luck. Never tried it with the optical though.
I’ve been looking into the issue, and I can’t find anybody that’s gotten chat to go through hdmi. It seems that only the optical can output chat.. does your receiver have an optical port? Also, some said that they didn’t have chat mix options with this set up, so keep that in mind.

Jan 3, 2019 at 11:11 AM Post #41,771 of 48,562
Apologies, I should have mentioned that the G6 is plugged into my PS4. The only option I can see within the PS4 is "Volume Control (Headphones)", but that doesn't change the overall voume.

I'm going back and forth between the X2 and AKG 712 Pro, comparing the same music and footage captured in game, and the latter do sound better overall, but they seem to be ever so slightly quiet, like I'd love to be able to take them up a notch or two.

It might be because I'm coming from the X2, which if anything were probably a little too loud, and they're so bass heavy too. Might be a case of needing a little time to adjust, but I just wondered if they were any other options, particularly within the G6 itself.

Thanks for the response.

Excuse this comment if already tried but have you moved the gain switch on the side of the G6 to 'H' - this sounds like what I experienced with the K702, Low gain wasn't quite enough to get the levels I wanted. The X2 are so much easier to drive than the 712 so Low gain is more than sufficient for them.

Jan 3, 2019 at 12:51 PM Post #41,772 of 48,562

The way all headphone virtual surround sound works is by taking surround sound input and converting it to binaural output. The binaural output is 2 channel, so it will work over stereo connections.

Dacs need digital input by definition, typically either usb or optical.

Applications will typically output surround sound only if the windows default format is set to surround sound. This is going to be a problem if you use usb dacs or the optical output on your motherboard, since they set the default format to stereo. What hesuvi recommends is to use either voicemeeter or vb cable to create a 7.1 device in those cases. If you use razer surround instead of hesuvi, it will automatically create a 7.1 device - this makes that program a little more easier to use than hesuvi.

Jan 3, 2019 at 2:19 PM Post #41,773 of 48,562
Excuse this comment if already tried but have you moved the gain switch on the side of the G6 to 'H' - this sounds like what I experienced with the K702, Low gain wasn't quite enough to get the levels I wanted. The X2 are so much easier to drive than the 712 so Low gain is more than sufficient for them.

More often than not it's the most simplest thing, and that's the case here - I'd completely forgotten about the gain switch on the side, as I'd always left it on low due to the X2 being so easy to drive, like you said. Thank you so much! I'm a lot happier with the 712 now.

Jan 3, 2019 at 4:10 PM Post #41,775 of 48,562
I’ve been looking into the issue, and I can’t find anybody that’s gotten chat to go through hdmi. It seems that only the optical can output chat.. does your receiver have an optical port? Also, some said that they didn’t have chat mix options with this set up, so keep that in mind.

Yes the reciever does have an optical input. Yea sometimes the chat mix option isn’t there. I usually do have the option though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back