Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Sep 8, 2018 at 1:21 PM Post #41,116 of 48,562
Turning on the Mobius 3D with the G6 SBX is literally like turning on Dolby Headphone and Creative SBX at the same time. I don't see how that is anything but just redundant overprocessing and ruining sound qualiy.

Yes you get the Mobius head tracking but at the expense of two virtual surround processes muddling everything up.

Personal recommendation: don't do it. Use one VSS or the other. Not both. Since the Mobius does not correctly do VSS on consoles, it's just logical to turn that off and use SBX on the G6. No headtracking but at least it is correctly processed.

I think people who bought the Mobius should have heard many times on that thread that the Mobius VSS was first and foremost made with PC usage through usb in mind. Everything else is second fiddle. It does not have native FULL console support.

Of course it's your own product and you guys can do anything you want, but be realistic when you do things like tacking on VSS to an already decoded, (non Dolby Digital encoded)signal. It is far from ideal and not reflective of intended real world use.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2018 at 2:09 PM Post #41,117 of 48,562
Yeah I mean, wouldn't you also be headtracking two simulated stereo speakers, that are pumping out a VSS feed? I'm not sure how that would sound....

I tried to play Fortnite couple of hours with PS4, HD800S and G6 surround set to ultra-wide.

The sound stage was just way too wide (I thought I would never say this). The footsteps sounded to come further away than they actually were. It was really confusing especially when the opponent was upstairs or downstairs.

Everything sounded normal after switching the G6 surround to wide. Is it just me, fortnite or what do others think with G6 and HD800(S) combo about G6 surround options wide/ultra-wide?

All in all I really like the G6 after the Astro MixAmp TR.

To my ears there is a big step down in audio fidelity from wide to ultra wide. I'm not done figuring out what I prefer yet, but I am leaning to maybe thinking wide is sufficient, especially with the HD800. Unlike the X7 where you can turn it all the way up to 100% and it still sounds fine.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2018 at 5:16 PM Post #41,118 of 48,562
Turning on the Mobius 3D with the G6 SBX is literally like turning on Dolby Headphone and Creative SBX at the same time. I don't see how that is anything but just redundant overprocessing and ruining sound qualiy.

Yes you get the Mobius head tracking but at the expense of two virtual surround processes muddling everything up.

Personal recommendation: don't do it. Use one VSS or the other. Not both. Since the Mobius does not correctly do VSS on consoles, it's just logical to turn that off and use SBX on the G6. No headtracking but at least it is correctly processed.

I think people who bought the Mobius should have heard many times on that thread that the Mobius VSS was first and foremost made with PC usage through usb in mind. Everything else is second fiddle. It does not have native FULL console support.

Of course it's your own product and you guys can do anything you want, but be realistic when you do things like tacking on VSS to an already decoded, (non Dolby Digital encoded)signal. It is far from ideal and not reflective of intended real world use.

Respectfully, it’s not “literally” like that at all. You’re tacking on additional signal processing, but NOT a second virtual surround sound.

The G6 provides VSS on console, the Mobius does not - it only provides the head tracking and room emulation. There is no 5.1 conversation going on, therefore it is NOT redundant VSS. There is no intrinsic “surround” element with the Mobius on analog input, it is 2.0 only plus the HT and RE processing. Therefore it is not a “use one or the other” proposition on the VSS - one simply does not have the option to use VSS from the Mobius on console, period. If you want VSS on console while using the Mobius, it has to come from somewhere else.

You’re talking about 3 separate effects here... It’s the difference between 3 effects coming from one device VS. 2 effects coming from one device and 1 effect coming from another.

Sep 8, 2018 at 7:38 PM Post #41,120 of 48,562
I have not used a mobius, but presumably for the head tracking to work, you must have virtual speakers, and the head tracker provides data on which virtual speakers to use. So it is another case of virtual surround sound.
I have a Mobius and this is correct. However, the only possible input signals into a Mobius from consoles are 2.0, with which the Mobius will virtualize 2 front speakers in a room when using 3D mode. Not everyone will consider this 'surround', but rather just virtual positioning.

There's 4 possible virtualization/audio processing states when combining a G6/X7/external VSS with a Mobius on a console:
  1. 2.0 output to the external VSS, passed along untouched to the Mobius with standard 2.0 mode. This will be like any other headphone.
  2. 2.0 output to the external VSS, passed along untouched to the Mobius in 3D mode. The Mobius will virtualize 2 'front' speakers in a room. Headtracking will move the audio relative to the motion of your head but when centered it will virtualize two speakers in front of you, no surround effect.
  3. Surround (5.1 or 7.1) output to the external VSS, which will process a virtual surround sound 2.0 signal intended for headphones to the Mobius in 3D mode. Instead of virtualizing 2 headphone ear cups, the Mobius will virtualize 2 'front' speakers in a room, unaware the original signal was surround. Headtracking will move the audio relative to the motion of your head but when centered the virtualized surround sound will be playing out of virtualized speakers in front of you. This is double virtualization, but not technically double virtualized surround. In my use, this is really undesirable; I prefer plain 2.0 with no virtualized positioning at all.
  4. Surround (5.1 or 7.1) output to the external VSS, which will process a virtual surround sound 2.0 signal intended for headphones to the Mobius in standard 2.0 mode. There will be no headtracking and audio will not move relative to the motion of your head but you have virtualized surround sound. This is generally the best case scenario for consoles and a Mobius.

General asterisk with all this, "external VSS" can also be built-in apps like Sonic or Atmos for Headphones built into an Xbox One, so the Xbox One will output a virtual surround sound 2.0 signal intended for headphones straight out of the console (either the controller or HDMI/optical, depending on settings and configuration).

Sep 8, 2018 at 11:07 PM Post #41,121 of 48,562
Respectfully, it’s not “literally” like that at all. You’re tacking on additional signal processing, but NOT a second virtual surround sound.

The G6 provides VSS on console, the Mobius does not - it only provides the head tracking and room emulation. There is no 5.1 conversation going on, therefore it is NOT redundant VSS. There is no intrinsic “surround” element with the Mobius on analog input, it is 2.0 only plus the HT and RE processing. Therefore it is not a “use one or the other” proposition on the VSS - one simply does not have the option to use VSS from the Mobius on console, period. If you want VSS on console while using the Mobius, it has to come from somewhere else.

You’re talking about 3 separate effects here... It’s the difference between 3 effects coming from one device VS. 2 effects coming from one device and 1 effect coming from another.
It IS tacking on another virtual surround. That is EXACTLY what the 3D button on the Mobius does. It is a virtual surround dsp WITH headtracking. There is NO way to do headtracking without it. So, sorry, but you're wrong. You are INDEED using a virtual surround DSP on the Mobius in addition to the virtual surround DSP on the G6. It is NOT the intended use. Two competing surround emulation processes, except in this case, you're using the Mobious vss to process ALREADY processed stereo. Stereo that has already simulated surround.

In layman's terms: The Mobius (in a 2ch emulation setting) emulates a two speaker setup. As in literally sounding like you're in a room with two speakers in front of you. So what happens when it's trying to emulate 2 front speakers that are TRYING to emulate 5.1 speakers? Not very nice sound. This is what you are trying to do when using the Mobius 3D ON with an SBX processed signal.

Have you ever used VSS made for headphones and output that to speakers? It doesn't sound right.

Well, this is a virtualized version of that.

And funny, someone tried to make that very argument and Audeze themselves corrected them, stating this very thing. It IS virtual surround emulation even with 2 channel sources, as in two speakers in front of you being emulated.

If you take a 2ch source and turn on 3D, rear sound cues will STILL come from in front of you, the way it does in a real 2ch setup. It sounds different from audio cues made to be heard in front, but the virtual space is still the same.

Unless people are advocating the use of headphone-centric virtual surround for front speakers, then this really isn't debatable. This is not intended use, and this will sound...weird, IMHO.

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2018 at 2:48 AM Post #41,122 of 48,562
Sep 9, 2018 at 6:35 AM Post #41,123 of 48,562
So Mobius doesnt work properly with consoles even not with a x7 between? What mades the mobius so special besides of the headtracking? If i got it correctly its the onboard VSS? Basically an all in one device?

Is the result better then a setup with highend headphones and the soundblaster x7?

Sep 9, 2018 at 8:24 AM Post #41,124 of 48,562
That's a bummer. You cannot go wrong with those Audio Technnica I guess. I'm a sucker for Sennheiser headsets, though, I own the One, the Zero, and the PC373D. I prefer the PC373D over all of them, with the One detachable cable.

If they go through customs it is going to rip your budget apart. Ask around to see if Massdrop items go through customs in Australia.

The Qpad QH-85 are pretty good. They’re based off the Takstar HI2050

Find a used Sennheiser HD558 and add a modmic.
The HD558 has black rubber tape on the inside, removing the black rubber tape makes the HD558 somewhat more like the HD598.

Thanks guys for the replies.

I had a good look into all those headsets today but bought the Sennheiser game one black earlier today on eBay. It was listed as used but almost brand new condition. It was $175 AUD minus vouchers and cash back got me down to $125 free shipping.

Those Sennheiser HD 558, 598, etc are all very expensive on eBay and also come from USA so delivery would be a fair wait. These game one's are local so i will get it within a few days.

The Sennheiser PC 373D was $160 brand new but didn't come with the PS4 cable so that's an extra $20 to make it $180

The Massdrop PC37X was pretty good as well but after tax, shipping and currency conversion that was around $170.

Also i researched about the Audio Technica PDG1's. Some people said it had a narrow soundstage compared to the ADG1. It also had smaller drivers. The microphone was excellent quality though. But since this was for fps gaming like Call of Duty and Battlefield i really wanted a decent headset with good soundtstage.

Hopefully this headset is good and the last time i need to buy one.

I will report back once i get it and share my experiences. Hopefully later in the week :)

Last edited:
Sep 9, 2018 at 9:21 AM Post #41,125 of 48,562
So Mobius doesnt work properly with consoles even not with a x7 between? What mades the mobius so special besides of the headtracking? If i got it correctly its the onboard VSS? Basically an all in one device?
With the X7 inbetween the Mobious will just act like any other headphones because if you enable the processing on the Mobious it will process the X7 VSS and you will get double VSS which not only mess up the surround cues but will sound like crap.

Yes i know some like double processing, there are some people that think the X7 and Mix AMP sounds good if you double process the signal... it sounds terrible and not at all accurate.
Is the result better then a setup with highend headphones and the soundblaster x7?

Not really, since the X7 has excellent VSS on it's own and it can be paired with the headphone of your choice. And since you won't be using the PC feature (when you connect it to a console) the Mobius will be just like any other headphones.

Sep 10, 2018 at 6:55 PM Post #41,126 of 48,562
Okay guy.

I need your help. I've been doing a lot of research, trying to pick out my first real pair of headphones. (I did have the B&w P7, which I recently gave to a family member.) *Disclaimer, these won't be my last pair of headphones but they will be my only pair for a while.*

These headphones are general use but I do game a fair bit more than I should which has made this choice far harder. Mostly OW and competitive shooters. I've narrowed it down to the modhouse Argon mk3, AKG 712 (I truely hate the color scheme), and the Sennheiser 600 or 660s. Originally I was sold on the 660s but the reviews make them seem a like a bad value. That being said I may be able to get them at about 420$ USD. The akgs I'm still unsure on price but let's assume 530 USD and we'll mod house at the website price. 355 USD plus shipping.

Help a brother out!

I'll be driving them with audio gd 11.38.

Sep 10, 2018 at 7:02 PM Post #41,127 of 48,562
I tried to play Fortnite couple of hours with PS4, HD800S and G6 surround set to ultra-wide.

The sound stage was just way too wide (I thought I would never say this). The footsteps sounded to come further away than they actually were. It was really confusing especially when the opponent was upstairs or downstairs.

Everything sounded normal after switching the G6 surround to wide. Is it just me, fortnite or what do others think with G6 and HD800(S) combo about G6 surround options wide/ultra-wide?

All in all I really like the G6 after the Astro MixAmp TR.

I think positioning for up and down is not as clear in general for VSS technology currently.
I personally like ultrawide with the HD800 but then again I play different games like Escape from Tarkov and R6 Siege.

Sep 10, 2018 at 7:05 PM Post #41,128 of 48,562
Okay guy.

I need your help. I've been doing a lot of research, trying to pick out my first real pair of headphones. (I did have the B&w P7, which I recently gave to a family member.) *Disclaimer, these won't be my last pair of headphones but they will be my only pair for a while.*

These headphones are general use but I do game a fair bit more than I should which has made this choice far harder. Mostly OW and competitive shooters. I've narrowed it down to the modhouse Argon mk3, AKG 712 (I truely hate the color scheme), and the Sennheiser 600 or 660s. Originally I was sold on the 660s but the reviews make them seem a like a bad value. That being said I may be able to get them at about 420$ USD. The akgs I'm still unsure on price but let's assume 530 USD and we'll mod house at the website price. 355 USD plus shipping.

Help a brother out!

I'll be driving them with audio gd 11.38.

Sennheiser x Massdrop HD58x

Good soundstage, great positional cues, lively sound signature and at 150$ you cannot beat them in value. The drop drop is currently active and it ends in 18h.

Sep 11, 2018 at 2:42 AM Post #41,129 of 48,562
Advice please. I have a ps4pro in my living room. i sit about 8 feet from the console. For chat based games i am looking to use my DT770 250ohm with modmic (use this for PC games). Say if i purchased the SB g6, is the hookup usb only to the ps4? If so i was going to run a usb extention to my couch and fiddle with the g6 there. IF not, i am not sure what to do. i can purchase a wireless ps4 headset, not sure on the quality compared to my DT's. Also i can spend 150.00 for g6 for ps4 & pc used compared to 300 for just a ps4 wireless headset. Other option is get a wired headset and run a usb extended cable to my seating area. Thoughts? Help much appreciated. Thanks for your time

Last edited:
Sep 11, 2018 at 4:43 AM Post #41,130 of 48,562
A question about the Mobius:

This is what I found in the FAQ:
Will Mobius work with my Xbox/Playstation/Switch? Mobius will work with Xbox/PS4/Switch using only the analog cable (or Bluetooth if applicable). USB audio will not work with these devices. However, the headtracking, room emulation, and spatialization also work in analog and Bluetooth modes. So, even though you don't get USB audio, the analog connection with 3D audio is very compelling.
So does the Mobius do all the same regarding 3D/Virtual sound whether connected analog, Bluetooth or digital or does it do something less when you don't use USB?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back