Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 23, 2017 at 5:41 AM Post #39,526 of 48,565
Hahaha, I DO have a youtube channel that is dusty, and asking for assisted suicide, lol.

But honestly, I'm hella camera shy. My brother has an ever growing Youtube channel based off some mobile game Summoner's War, and even has like thousands of subs now. I'm like, man, if only I had as much initiative as him.

If anything, I'd be willing to stream on PS4 again, and give you guys like a schedule or something when I do.

As for Patreon and all that, I honestly don't know how to go about doing stuff like that, and I wouldn't wanna take advantage of you guys in any shape or form.

I would obviously love to do things like this and earn a living off it instead of the non-life I currently have, but I'm kind of a coward in taking risks and stuff.
Check out either @Hawaiibadboy's channel or ZeosPantera. Both don't actually show up in their own videos. Maybe making them like this would be more beneficial?

Dec 23, 2017 at 8:00 AM Post #39,527 of 48,565
I would obviously love to do things like this and earn a living off it instead of the non-life I currently have, but I'm kind of a coward in taking risks and stuff.

Do whatever you're comfy with :)

Look at what patreon requires, chuck up a vid of the porta-pro's, no facetime needed, just voice and see if it gets any ground.

Hell, just read the old review you have on the 1st page and add a current comment or two.

Next week do the same with a current can you have on hand.

Week after read off an old favourite and add comments.

Worth a try, and may reignite some passion.

Am sure you'd get friendly help on here.

Dec 23, 2017 at 10:31 AM Post #39,528 of 48,565
Hahaha, I DO have a youtube channel that is dusty, and asking for assisted suicide, lol.

But honestly, I'm hella camera shy. My brother has an ever growing Youtube channel based off some mobile game Summoner's War, and even has like thousands of subs now. I'm like, man, if only I had as much initiative as him.

If anything, I'd be willing to stream on PS4 again, and give you guys like a schedule or something when I do.

As for Patreon and all that, I honestly don't know how to go about doing stuff like that, and I wouldn't wanna take advantage of you guys in any shape or form.

MLE, you are so far ahead right now the risk’s are minimal. You have proof of concept, evident by this board that’s been going on for what 6+/- years, and a community of support to help in the early stages. This is a huge head start in any startup!

Remember one of the biggest obstacles to success is getting over our fear of failure! Nothing stifles success like never attempting to succeed!

Don’t be deterred by the potential of failure, which imo is small in this case, but if anything fear never trying and then wondering about what if you had!

Either way thanks for stepping out and starting this thread. Its been very beneficial to many from the looks of it.

In the immortal words of Dr. Seuss “you have to be odd to be #1”

Good luck!

Dec 23, 2017 at 5:51 PM Post #39,529 of 48,565
I'll definitely look into these things soon. You guys make me wanna do more by this thread and you guys.

Perhaps even learn to jump cut/edit videos hahaha. I'll have to ask my brother who's learned a little.

Dec 26, 2017 at 11:00 AM Post #39,530 of 48,565
A big big thank you to MLE and all the other people in this thread, you helped me so much.

I just wanted to know if anyone knows if the Sennheiser 599 are as competitive in gaming as the 598?

I would go for the DT990, but it is impossible to fit a boompro mic as the cable is non removeable. K702 would be my second choice, followed by the Sennheiser Game One headset.

Right now, they all cost roughly the same, but the headphones need an adapter plus the BoomPro mic for 40€. I prefer not having two cables.

I use them 95% for gaming (cs go) and the rest for music.

Dec 26, 2017 at 2:32 PM Post #39,531 of 48,565
I just wanted to know if anyone knows if the Sennheiser 599 are as competitive in gaming as the 598?

I would go for the DT990, but it is impossible to fit a boompro mic as the cable is non removeable. K702 would be my second choice, followed by the Sennheiser Game One headset.

Right now, they all cost roughly the same, but the headphones need an adapter plus the BoomPro mic for 40€. I prefer not having two cables.

I use them 95% for gaming (cs go) and the rest for music.
What I've read HD599 might have sound tweaked little more toward compact soundstage than predecessors...
Which would be bad for gaming performance.
Anyway while very good because of neutral bass HD595 simply couldn't challenge K702 in soundstage in comparison I did recently with AKG having clear step bigger soundstage and better depth/distance separation of sounds.
(even K712's fun bass doesn't seem to compromise soundstage size much any)

And there's Chinese fashion trinket level weak point including mechanical design of HD5xx I've myself experienced in HD595
So would definitely go for K702 instead of any HD5xx Sennheiser.
HD595's not enduring use was reason why I even got those second hand K702s just for neutral bass reference.

Dec 26, 2017 at 4:58 PM Post #39,532 of 48,565
What I've read HD599 might have sound tweaked little more toward compact soundstage than predecessors...
Which would be bad for gaming performance.
Anyway while very good because of neutral bass HD595 simply couldn't challenge K702 in soundstage in comparison I did recently with AKG having clear step bigger soundstage and better depth/distance separation of sounds.
(even K712's fun bass doesn't seem to compromise soundstage size much any)

And there's Chinese fashion trinket level weak point including mechanical design of HD5xx I've myself experienced in HD595
So would definitely go for K702 instead of any HD5xx Sennheiser.
HD595's not enduring use was reason why I even got those second hand K702s just for neutral bass reference.
On the other hand though, it is much easier to convert Sennheiser 5XX series of headphones into headsets using KetDirect mic.

Dec 26, 2017 at 7:25 PM Post #39,533 of 48,565
Astro Mixamp Pro + ModMic 5 Chat Issue

I have an Astro Mixamp Pro (2015 model) + ModMic 5, which I use with both Xbox One and PS4. As far as I can remember I have had an issue with people in party chat not being able to hear me loud enough. I primarily use chat on the Xbox One so I will refer to that. Recently it has gotten really bad. Not only is my voice not loud enough, but it cuts in and out. I also have an Astro Mixamp (2011 model) that I don't use because the optical port door broke, but I taped the optical cable to it and connected it to my Xbox One and the results were the same.

To test my ModMic 5 I connected it directly to my laptop's mic jack and recorded my voice using Audacity using both the uni and omin-directional mics. In both cases my voice sounded loud and clear. I then connected my Mixamp Pro to my laptop via usb and my ModMic to the Y-adapter that is connected to the Mixamp Pro and recorded my voice. The volume was much lower and my voice level wavered.

I've done some research on the Astro Mixamp + ModMic and a lot of people are experiencing this issue. People have said that it has something to do with the Mixamp's noise gate. I had a Mixamp when I played on the Xbox 360 and I don't recall experiencing this problem, so it's possible the Xbox One is to blame as well. The fact that the ModMic requires 5V to power may have something to do with it too.

So, I'm here, not necessarily to find a solution to fix the problem, because part of the problem is on Astro's end, but rather to see if something else will work. Will the V-MODA BoomPro work with the Mixamp Pro so that others can clearly hear me? Or will it be the same as the ModMIc? How many volts does it require to power? Another option, though considerably more expensive, is the Creative Sound Blaster X7. I considered this before I purchased the Mixamp Pro and Schiit Magna 2U, but decided against due to price and issues with it and the PS4 that I read about.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2017 at 3:24 PM Post #39,537 of 48,565
On the other hand though, it is much easier to convert Sennheiser 5XX series of headphones into headsets using KetDirect mic.
That kind inline volume adjustment shouldn't be used except for small lowering of volume.
They work by adding resistance in series with headphone, which works exactly like increasing output impedance:
Changing frequency response of frequency varying impedance headphones (like those HD5xx Sennheisers) and lowering damping factor at some point starting to affect sound quality.
Hence would be better to not even have volume adjustment in there to avoid temptation to use it.

And having had literal cut/"break"away view to HD595's mechanical design can't recommend Sennheiser HD5xx to others looking for long time investment...
Anyway HD595 was clear amount behind K702 in direct comparison with smaller soundstage size and depth/distance separation.
So for the money might as well get that best level soundstage.

Dec 27, 2017 at 3:51 PM Post #39,538 of 48,565
That kind inline volume adjustment shouldn't be used except for small lowering of volume.
They work by adding resistance in series with headphone, which works exactly like increasing output impedance:
Changing frequency response of frequency varying impedance headphones (like those HD5xx Sennheisers) and lowering damping factor at some point starting to affect sound quality.
Hence would be better to not even have volume adjustment in there to avoid temptation to use it.

And having had literal cut/"break"away view to HD595's mechanical design can't recommend Sennheiser HD5xx to others looking for long time investment...
Anyway HD595 was clear amount behind K702 in direct comparison with smaller soundstage size and depth/distance separation.
So for the money might as well get that best level soundstage.
Can't really comment on the effect of the inline volume control on the sound quality as I haven't used this particular microphone myself, but I used to use HD598 paired with a ModMic as my main gaming rig and inconvenience of the ModMic is one of the reasons I don't use either of those devices anymore and why I recommend going for the more convenient option which the KetDirect microphone most certainly is.
With AKG headphones you don't really have that convenience. You can either spend $70 on ModMic and run two cables from the headphones to the amp or use the Mimic Cables adapter and plug the V-Moda BoomPro and have shared ground between headphones and mic.

Dec 27, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #39,539 of 48,565
Can't really comment on the effect of the inline volume control on the sound quality as I haven't used this particular microphone myself, but I used to use HD598 paired with a ModMic as my main gaming rig and inconvenience of the ModMic is one of the reasons I don't use either of those devices anymore and why I recommend going for the more convenient option which the KetDirect microphone most certainly is.
With AKG headphones you don't really have that convenience. You can either spend $70 on ModMic and run two cables from the headphones to the amp or use the Mimic Cables adapter and plug the V-Moda BoomPro and have shared ground between headphones and mic.

Does the shared ground have a negative impact?

Why do they **** up such easy things though? Why not a simple 3,5mm jack? Why do the Beyerdynamic have non-removeable cables? I could see myself buying a dt880, but having two seperate cables sucks big time. I had two cables for several years now and I can't stand it anymore.

Same for the Audio Technica, which is a great headphone for gaming. But the non-removeable cables though... I know that it's not a problem for everybody but the majority would be happy with a one-cable-solution I guess.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back