Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
May 3, 2017 at 10:14 PM Post #38,836 of 48,562
Damn! I can see why some forum members do NOT like simulated surround sound effects in their headphones (while playing on an XBox1). I was playing Metro First Light in the catacombs and the beasties' growls were coming from the walls, the floors, and the ceilings. My Turtle Beach DSS2 unit indeed does its magic and attempts to create quadraphonic (?) sound; however, the growls can be coming from odd, nonsensical directions.
It's still a dandy game, first-timer DAC/amp, and can set up.

May 3, 2017 at 10:24 PM Post #38,837 of 48,562
@ScubaMan2017 - your best bet to is to post a wanted ad in the classifieds and see if any Headfiers (US or Canadian) want to sell theirs. If you're worried about the warranty, you only need the serial number and proof of purchase. IIRC, Creative isn't rigid about whether you're the original owner. But if anyone can correct me on that, go ahead.
Interesting idea shuto77 . When I'm ready to upgrade, I might just try that. I'll download the manual and take a look at the fine print. Your reply made me think of other issues about transferring consumer protection (in used gear). I was looking at a YouTube video about removing (and replacing) warranty stickers and how such consumer protection might NOT be voided.

May 4, 2017 at 1:24 PM Post #38,838 of 48,562
Damn! I can see why some forum members do NOT like simulated surround sound effects in their headphones (while playing on an XBox1). I was playing Metro First Light in the catacombs and the beasties' growls were coming from the walls, the floors, and the ceilings. My Turtle Beach DSS2 unit indeed does its magic and attempts to create quadraphonic (?) sound; however, the growls can be coming from odd, nonsensical directions.
It's still a dandy game, first-timer DAC/amp, and can set up.

I prefer not to simulate surround sound externally on my xbox.. the game's actually try.. and do fairly well at doing this from the source itself. Your DSS2 is probably sounding wonky because the game's surround simulation is effecting the dss2 from working properly? This is a guess, but I feel like proper amping is way more effective than surround simulation.

May 4, 2017 at 7:09 PM Post #38,839 of 48,562
been playing CSGO/Insurgency/TF2 on my dell g-sync monitor.....I am just amazed how screen tearing and stuttering are gone!!! definitely better than a 4k TV....much much better...The latency is amazingly low as well....I am getting 4-7 kills per round...just amazing...not a gimmick...

May 4, 2017 at 7:38 PM Post #38,840 of 48,562
been playing CSGO/Insurgency/TF2 on my dell g-sync monitor.....I am just amazed how screen tearing and stuttering are gone!!! definitely better than a 4k TV....much much better...The latency is amazingly low as well....I am getting 4-7 kills per round...just amazing...not a gimmick...

Nice! Out of my league. BTW, I saw this on Youtube (8K gaming monitor [4 coordinated monitors]). Anyway, fyi...

May 4, 2017 at 7:57 PM Post #38,841 of 48,562

Nice! Out of my league. BTW, I saw this on Youtube (8K gaming monitor [4 coordinated monitors]). Anyway, fyi...

lawl...I hate monitor spanning....buy a large screen monitor/TV..there are plenty of ultra wide curved monitors these days...I used to game on my 1080p Samsung TV.....the picture is beautiful but the latency is too high...even when it is set to gaming mode...and yeah...It gave me alot of stuttering....2 kills per round in CSGO vs 5-7 is a lot of improvement...

May 4, 2017 at 11:57 PM Post #38,842 of 48,562
How dare you, Axel. HOW DARE YOU.

Any wireless KSC75s yet? :ksc75smile:

My KSC75's plug keeps sliding off my phone's input. It is incredibly aggravating. I guess it's time for yet another Sportapro. Koss should be sending me stuff for a lifetime, out of all the money they make from me. ;__;

Last edited:
May 5, 2017 at 6:38 AM Post #38,843 of 48,562
How dare you, Axel. HOW DARE YOU.

Any wireless KSC75s yet? :ksc75smile:

My KSC75's plug keeps sliding off my phone's input. It is incredibly aggravating. I guess it's time for yet another Sportapro. Koss should be sending me stuff for a lifetime, out of all the money they make from me. ;__;
Maybe you can, like, mail in 5 at once for the bundled shipping cost?

May 5, 2017 at 8:39 AM Post #38,844 of 48,562
That's generous, The Krell. The Wirecutter did a section on mid-range to high-end earbuds. Can it help you? http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-200-in-ear-headphones/
The site (which aggregates different reviews & attempt their own assessments) claimed the B&O PLAY by Bang & Olufsen Beoplay H3 was a fantastic ~$200 pair. Scroll through the list to see whether the GSP350 are there or not. Good luck, eh.
sorry I only seen this now, I am going to get him a pair of sennheiser pc300 g4me because over the head mess his hair up too much..you feel more part of the stream when he's wearing something you bought him!

May 5, 2017 at 9:22 AM Post #38,845 of 48,562
Sooo guys.. has somebody tested the virtual surround lately on BlasterX G5 ?
I purchased G5 because I have HD558 with modmic 4 and onboard is noisy at input and does not sound so great (cheap H110 motherboard)

After I read entire thread about it on this forums.. idk whether i should return it ?
What are the alternatives in this price range with DAC/ADC and VSS ?

Also what about windows spatial sound and Dolby atmos for headphones ?
Would it make sense to keep G5 and just use some software VSS ?

Edit: I tested windows spatial - dolby atmos, it's complete crap in game in comparison to SBX on my G5.
I find it actually useful to use surround on G5 in PUBG, directions are perfectly clear with 67-100%
Anybody else has experience ?

Last edited:
May 6, 2017 at 2:06 PM Post #38,846 of 48,562
May 6, 2017 at 2:21 PM Post #38,847 of 48,562
.....snip...
What are the alternatives in this price range with DAC/ADC and VSS ? ...snip....

Eventually, I picked up a used Turtle Beach DSS2 from our version of eBay for $40 CDN. They're discontinued; however, there should be many still floating around. Please consider it! This little black plastic job is built like a tank, has an TOSlink input & is powered by a USB cable (in my case to my console... in your case you should be able to plug it into your PC & access it via the OS's control panel).
It has enough oomph to power my PSB2 4U and Sennheiser HD518 cans (with a 6ft extension cable added no less). I use it on my XBox1 so that I don't interfere my spouse. The simulated surround sound is fine for me (and I can't detect any hiss as compared from my TV audio jack or the stereo-snap-on-device-to-the-controller [whoot whoot]).

When their price comes down, I'll replace it with that odd triangle-shaped box from Creative (stupidly overpriced [>$600] here in Ontario, Canada). Good luck, xH4wK.

Last edited:
May 6, 2017 at 7:39 PM Post #38,849 of 48,562
Hi. You checked this review out? The reviewer went DEEP into the G5's inner workings...
https://www.head-fi.org/f/showcase/creative-labs-sound-blasterx-g5.21511/
Yep I saw it, it does not mention VSS/SBX (or BXAE) at all ?
I am still unsure whether I should return G5 and get something like Omni ?
I would say omni has terrible output impedance as creative is not even mentioning it anywhere... so that would be a huge downgrade ?
All I want to know whether the virtual surround on G5 is reall so much worse that I better return it ?
Also.... could it be that simply SBX on old devices was running on high output impedance cards and therefore it sounded overall different than on G5 because G5 has low output impedance ? idk..
Also on old sbx you needed 33 surround now on g5 you need 67.. it is different but is it really worse as of positioning ?

Edit: Would it make sense to go for SB Omni surround ? Based on this database, https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/wiki/tech/output_impedance_database
it has output impedance of 15.. compared to g5 2.2 it sucks I know
Would that impedance work fine for HD558s ?

Last edited:
May 6, 2017 at 10:17 PM Post #38,850 of 48,562
Yep I saw it, it does not mention VSS/SBX (or BXAE) at all ?
I am still unsure whether I should return G5 and get something like Omni ?
I would say omni has terrible output impedance as creative is not even mentioning it anywhere... so that would be a huge downgrade ?
All I want to know whether the virtual surround on G5 is reall so much worse that I better return it ?
Also.... could it be that simply SBX on old devices was running on high output impedance cards and therefore it sounded overall different than on G5 because G5 has low output impedance ? idk..
Also on old sbx you needed 33 surround now on g5 you need 67.. it is different but is it really worse as of positioning ?

Edit: Would it make sense to go for SB Omni surround ? Based on this database, https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/wiki/tech/output_impedance_database
it has output impedance of 15.. compared to g5 2.2 it sucks I know
Would that impedance work fine for HD558s ?
Pssst. Can an old salt (or an old sweat) chime in? This is beyond my pay-grade, as it were. :triportsad:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back