Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Apr 28, 2017 at 2:58 AM Post #38,806 of 48,562
Perhaps it is because I listen at relatively low volume, but I find the significance of whether a headphone is open or closed back is overstated when it comes to their spaciousness/soundstage size. I'm guessing at higher listening volumes it becomes more significant as reflections become more of an issue and open backed headphones ability to let the soundwaves escape comes into play. Or perhaps I'm just weird lol.

I take your point although I think in some cases the difference can be subtle? The bigger issue for me with closed back with gaming is that I prefer to be able to hear what's going on around me (ie if the kids wake up) and I can't hear myself talk which is something I just don't like - sound leakage just isn't an issue for my usage.

Apr 29, 2017 at 3:12 AM Post #38,808 of 48,562
Well, yethal, you would have to petition Wikia, because they removed the whole huddler platform that Head-Fi was buit on, and the staff here built something so the community would continue on.

Its growing/moving pains, things will be fixed, some things are already better.

Apr 29, 2017 at 3:36 AM Post #38,809 of 48,562
Hopefully. If this was Skyrim my Attention Span skill would decrease everytime I come here. So many images and moving things.
I see You finally got the Sponsor badge Evs, I'm so proud!

Apr 29, 2017 at 1:33 PM Post #38,810 of 48,562
I've seen my fair share of website overhauls. This is probably one of the worst. Not really a big deal, just a pain in the ars (especially in the classifieds). Still, it's probably the final nail in the coffin for me. This place has been giving off too many 'elitist' vibes in recent years.

Apr 29, 2017 at 1:39 PM Post #38,811 of 48,562
I've seen my fair share of website overhauls. This is probably one of the worst. Not really a big deal, just a pain in the ars (especially in the classifieds). Still, it's probably the final nail in the coffin for me. This place has been giving off too many 'elitist' vibes in recent years.
If Head-Fi is elitist then what is 6Moons?

Apr 29, 2017 at 4:23 PM Post #38,812 of 48,562
I don't see how this is elitist. You are always going to have a portion of every population that believes the more you spend, the better it is. I find that to be completely untrue. Sure you should get better sound with better tech, but that doesn't always mean the music will sound better. Classic Rock, Punk Rock, Grunge, are a few of my favorite genres of music, and most of the albums were recorded poorly. A highly resolving system will sound much worse than a few hundred dollar setup.

I am all about finding low cost/high value gear. That is a far more exciting experience for me. The Monoprice M1060 is a fantastic headphone that I am loving the hell out of. With the Vegan pad swap, I'm under $400 total for a really fun and detailed headphone. They are more fun that the HE-X V2 for gaming and movies, and cost FAR less. Now the HE-X is a better headphone, but the M1060 is pretty close to it performance wise. I'll always own both, but they are my 2 favorite headphones at the moment.

I also just picked up a 2.5mm female connector to mod my Fostex TH-X00 Ebony. The stock cable is super strong and durable, but entirely too long and thick. I don't use them as much as I like because of the damn cable!!! I would love to use them walking around Philly, but can't in their current alignment.

Ignore the idiots who pound misleading information into your head, use common sense, and lookup some of the "Claims" that are made here about balanced being far superior, more power is better, etc. There are a lot of sane people here. Hope you can find some and enjoy coming back!

Apr 29, 2017 at 5:28 PM Post #38,813 of 48,562
I'm pretty elitist. My Ether Flow is amazing. All other headphones are crap. I mean, who in their right mind would own a budget-friendly SHP9500/BoomPro combo for gaming.

Oh... wait, I do...

Just because someone has a nice high-end headphone doesn't mean they no longer appreciate the more affordable options out there. An excellent $100 headphone can easily impress me more than an excellent $1,000+ headphone. But you know, we're elitist. :wink:

Apr 29, 2017 at 10:53 PM Post #38,814 of 48,562
My favorite forum was AVSforum. I used to be able to use my phone and computer very easily to navigate the site. They changed it and I barely ever use it now. Even now that I am looking at some 4K TVs, I just can't take the layout. I'll do my research elsewhere.

So far the mobile version of Head-Fi is a mess and I am not using it at all on my phone. I am about a 95% phone user for forums. I really hope they can fix it to make it easier to use. If not, I can see myself fading from here like I did AVS.

Apr 30, 2017 at 7:47 PM Post #38,815 of 48,562
Hopefully. If this was Skyrim my Attention Span skill would decrease everytime I come here. So many images and moving things.
I see You finally got the Sponsor badge Evs, I'm so proud!
Evshrug introduced me to this wild and woolly forum. He's a good guy.

Apr 30, 2017 at 7:53 PM Post #38,816 of 48,562
My favorite forum was AVSforum. I used to be able to use my phone and computer very easily to navigate the site. They changed it and I barely ever use it now. Even now that I am looking at some 4K TVs, I just can't take the layout. I'll do my research elsewhere.

So far the mobile version of Head-Fi is a mess and I am not using it at all on my phone. I am about a 95% phone user for forums. I really hope they can fix it to make it easier to use. If not, I can see myself fading from here like I did AVS.
Re: mobile site (and how it looks on my other iOS devices) versus desktop UI. My Safari browser on my phone & tablet chew the hell out of head-fi.org . Once I switched over to my desktops' Chrome browser, it was much easier to navigate. Ah well, I'll keep at it (as I enjoy this forum). I respect your viewpoint, mbyrnes.

Apr 30, 2017 at 8:01 PM Post #38,817 of 48,562
Apr 30, 2017 at 8:04 PM Post #38,818 of 48,562
What recent single player games you played that had good sound design?
One that pops on the top of my head is the metro series.
As a newcomer to the forum, I agree with you. 2033 & First Light have dandy sound design. What are your thoughts about the Witcher3? wrt sound design...

Apr 30, 2017 at 8:09 PM Post #38,819 of 48,562
Are you asking about PC or console?

On PC, I'm awful and just have my a900x connected to the Sound Blaster Z. My mic is a Blue Yeti blackout connected via USB.

For console, I've got my PS4 connected to a Sound Blaster X7 (via optical and USB for mic). My headphones for that are the Hifiman 400i with an attached ModMic.
Re: Sound Blaster X7. Here in Toronto, it's running for $500-700 CDN on amazon dot ca. I can't understand that price. Do you think the price will come down by 2018?

Apr 30, 2017 at 9:41 PM Post #38,820 of 48,562
Wow, unreal guys! Awesome work!

After all these years, I still use the first page a lot. It's one of the most useful information pages I've ever come across. I still tell people use it, as it's a Bible to me. Keeping it current is so incredibly useful!
New guys like me rely on it. Thanks, eh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back