Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 12, 2017 at 10:28 AM Post #38,492 of 48,562
I really love my HEX V2 for gaming. Not a fan of the HD800, but I'm in the minority with my dislike!

Mar 12, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #38,494 of 48,562
Head-fi, boy I tell ya...

Thank you guys! I can't afford HD 800 at the moment. Is a first generation of AKG K701 legendary for competitive FPS gaming or not really? Going to take a look at HEX V2.

Any other suggestions?

Please excuse some of the higher end suggestions. Most, here, have moved on to la la land of head-fi. I'll try to give you a more logical response...

The best headphones I've tried for FPS in a more reasonable price range are the AD700 and Q701. I'd suggest looking into the newer K702s without the bumps.

Mar 12, 2017 at 3:54 PM Post #38,495 of 48,562
Head-fi, boy I tell ya...
Please excuse some of the higher end suggestions. Most, here, have moved on to la la land of head-fi. I'll try to give you a more logical response...

The best headphones I've tried for FPS in a more reasonable price range are the AD700 and Q701. I'd suggest looking into the newer K702s without the bumps.

Excuse the high end suggestions? :laughing:
He asked for "the best"

Do agree with Change here though... look for some AKG's if you are looking to keep things a little more cost effective.

Mar 12, 2017 at 4:04 PM Post #38,496 of 48,562
Listen not to the heathens dear @audi03nthusiast!
Only Sennheiser HE-1 will provide the directional accuracy and soundstage that You strive for!

Mar 12, 2017 at 4:06 PM Post #38,497 of 48,562
I second the AD700...it's got a great soundstage and positioning. I would also suggest the AKG K7xx, which I think is pretty similar to the AD700.

Are you looking for a closed or open set? I would imagine that open might be more difficult in a competitive setting, due to sound leakage.

Mar 12, 2017 at 9:15 PM Post #38,498 of 48,562
Hey, EV!

Question for you. My new X7's rca output was doa apparently, so I just put through a warranty claim (this new one is still under warranty).

I also bought a Schiit Modi Multibit and Jotunheim. If I run optical from the PS4 to the Dss2, then to the Modi, will that work? I imagine it will, but I'm not sure if double-amping the Dss2 is a bad idea.

Thanks for the information. My other option is to connect the Dss2 to the Jotunheim via an rca to 3.5mm cable in the interim. I know that will work. I know the dac isn't anything special in the Dss2, however.

Follow up question: Would an rca splitter be a bad idea to connect to my Jotunheim? I want to connect my Modi and the Dss2 to it at the same time, but only use one of the dacs at once.
Yeah, like Yethal said, the DSS2's USB output is more of a passthrough, and doesn't carry the headphone surround out digitally. I have used the DSS2's headphone out + 3.5mm to RCA cable + desktop amp to very good effect before. The DSS2 has noticeably less background hiss than the Recon3D, and far better than the Mixamp's. Still, I hope your X7 is repaired soon!

I can only assume the mojo blows away the X7 DAC with upgraded op-amps.
I'm afraid I'd be exaggerating if I said Mojo blew the upgraded X7 away... but it was better.

I would guess for gaming the difference isn't as huge as one would think? At least this has been my experience with other higher end dacs...
With actual music yeah I'm sure the mojo stomps a hole in the X7.

What amazes me about the mojo is what it's capable of for its size.

The Mojo is a little more dynamic and lively, more realistically defined, which benefits all audio even if it's not in a high-res format. The Mojo's ability to reveal micro-details also really helps with the sense of depth-layering and helps the front-center not sound like a hole in the soundstage. Both the Mojo + X7 and the X7 by itself would benefit from further refinements and advancement in surround position processing, of course.

Mar 12, 2017 at 9:24 PM Post #38,499 of 48,562
Thank you guys! I can't afford HD 800 at the moment. Is a first generation of AKG K701 legendary for competitive FPS gaming or not really? Going to take a look at HEX V2.

Any other suggestions?

You definitely did as for "the best" :D
You'll find that the HiFiman Edition X is also priced about the same as the HD800.

Excuse the high end suggestions? :laughing:
He asked for "the best"

Do agree with Change here though... look for some AKG's if you are looking to keep things a little more cost effective.

I also agree. Any of the AKG K7-- or K612 series headphones will have legendary surround depth and imaging, so will the Audio's technica ATH AD700x. If Massdrop and Sennheiser do a collaborative PC37X again, that $120 headphone is priced just below the K612 and has great positional imaging, but it trades off less sheer soundstage size in favor of a warmer, more fun sound. If you can't wait for the PC37X, Sennheiser's HD5-- series will all be good well-rounded headphones too, though the HD598 supposedly will be the most sheerly competitive model (I haven't heard the HD598 personally).

Mar 12, 2017 at 9:48 PM Post #38,501 of 48,562
Oh I want an Ether Flow, but the pro model (the Ether Electrostat) hasn't been released yet. Sadly missed two opportunities to hear the prototype :frowning2:

Buuuuuuuut yeah, the Sennheiser HE-1 would give it some polite applause, before getting up to perform and blowing away the audience!

For mere mortals, I stand by my above suggestions in my last post :D

Mar 13, 2017 at 4:01 AM Post #38,502 of 48,562
He asked for the best...without a budget restriction.  HD800 is the logical choice for positional accuracy.  Personally I actually like planars such as the M1060 and HE-6 since the sound stage isn't as artificially wide, it's natural and for games a perfect circle of 3D spatial awareness is preferred to an exaggerated elliptical for a sound stage.  

Try the MA900 for a baby HD800 it's surprisingly good.

EDIT:  Also wanted to update, I've had a Soundblaster Z installed for the past week and it's been amazing!  Finally surround sound where you can differentiate with certainty front and rear locations, those are always the hardest to hear.

Mar 13, 2017 at 5:06 AM Post #38,505 of 48,562
  Open back headphone. I'm playing at home :)

That makes it a little easier, then.  It's a lot easier to find good, competitive gaming cans when they're open backed than when they're closed.

I might also suggest the Hifiman HE-400i.  I recently upgraded from my K7XX to them and, personally, I think they do practically everything the K7XX does well but better.  I also think that, while their soundstage isn't nearly as large as the K7XX, they're a little more accurate when it comes to positioning, which is great for competitive gaming. :)  And one of the best things about them is that they can be had for as low as $250 (not sure what your budget is, though).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back