Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Mar 6, 2017 at 10:32 AM Post #38,446 of 48,562
  ok what is the difference beetween dt880 and dt990? soundstage, bass, etc. i need bass for movie..
what are game do you play? is it fps? i want to know how well dt990 for positioning in the fps game
e12 vs a5 which is better?

I can't give you comprehensive information as I haven't heard the DT880, but I did own the DT990. It is very V-shaped, meaning it has boosted bass and treble. This is good for movies, and the boosted treble is good for hearing footsteps and other background information. The mids were too sucked-out for me, however, with music. I haven't heard the DT880, but I've read it's more neutral than the DT990, and its treble isn't as fatiguing - so it's probably a better all-arounder.

The A5 is considered a slight upgrade over the E12, but the E12 is better if you are only using full-sized headphones as it's slightly more powerful. The E12 is also slightly cheaper, and easier to get in the classifieds - someone was selling one on the classifieds for $65, which is a steal.

Good luck!

Mar 7, 2017 at 11:19 AM Post #38,447 of 48,562

I can't give you comprehensive information as I haven't heard the DT880, but I did own the DT990. It is very V-shaped, meaning it has boosted bass and treble. This is good for movies, and the boosted treble is good for hearing footsteps and other background information. The mids were too sucked-out for me, however, with music. I haven't heard the DT880, but I've read it's more neutral than the DT990, and its treble isn't as fatiguing - so it's probably a better all-arounder.

The A5 is considered a slight upgrade over the E12, but the E12 is better if you are only using full-sized headphones as it's slightly more powerful. The E12 is also slightly cheaper, and easier to get in the classifieds - someone was selling one on the classifieds for $65, which is a steal.

Good luck!

i think i probably pick the dt990. i read on page 1 that dt880 have a hole beetween 5 and 7 if it use for gaming. dt990 600 ohm with bundle fiio a5 for $279, what do you think?

Mar 7, 2017 at 11:43 AM Post #38,449 of 48,562
  i think i probably pick the dt990. i read on page 1 that dt880 have a hole beetween 5 and 7 if it use for gaming. dt990 600 ohm with bundle fiio a5 for $279, what do you think?

Treble was way too hot for my tastes on the DT990 (600 ohms). If your ears can take it, then that's a decent deal.

Yes, to @kellte2's point, I think the treble is a bit too much, at least it was with my DT990 Pro 250. I'd try to get an AKG K7XX or a Fidelio X2 for a little more. Both will be more enjoyable with a wide range of music as well. 

Mar 7, 2017 at 11:45 AM Post #38,450 of 48,562
Yes, to @kellte2
's point, I think the treble is a bit too much, at least it was with my DT990 Pro 250. I'd try to get an AKG K7XX or a Fidelio X2 for a little more. Both will be more enjoyable with a wide range of music as well. 

Yep, I went with the K702 Annie, and by comparison, i couldn't go back of the DT990 for music. Gaming was easier to swallow, but music was abrasive (for me).

Mar 7, 2017 at 12:35 PM Post #38,451 of 48,562
I am looking to get a headphone compatible with my boom pro mic (vmoda) and I understand there are adapters for it to be used with most others as well..

I am  looking at the X2's is there a better recommendation for gaming and music like reggae/dub to purchase instead? I do like a warmer sound, I already have M100's so not needing something that has really heavy bass as that, more of an additional compliment for my collection.

Edits: I also was looking at the k7xx, but am currently at a loss of my amp burning out (was a cheapie anyway) so am afraid until I can afford an amp they may be harder for me to drive?

Any suggestions should be based on no available amp please, but one will be purchased in due time.

Mar 7, 2017 at 3:16 PM Post #38,452 of 48,562
Treble was way too hot for my tastes on the DT990 (600 ohms). If your ears can take it, then that's a decent deal.

what about movie? is the treble hars for movie too?
actualy at first i want to pair 250ohm version with fiio e17k so i can set the treble, but i saw that bundle and i heard that 600ohm version is a little bit softer than the 250 ohm. 

Yes, to @kellte2's point, I think the treble is a bit too much, at least it was with my DT990 Pro 250. I'd try to get an AKG K7XX or a Fidelio X2 for a little more. Both will be more enjoyable with a wide range of music as well. 

i didn't pick x2 because phillips didn't sell the replacement earpads. and i heard x2 have "bleeding ink" issue
is akg k7xx good for all arrounder? what about soundstage and positional cue? compare to beyer
i heard that akg (k7 xx,12pro,01  q701  and k612pro) are very little bass. i'm not an audiophile, i want at least like m50x (flat but with a little added bass). from those akg line up, which have sound signature close to m50x and still good for gaming? which have bigger soundstage and easy to drive?
actually i have ath ws1100is which i very love the sound so much. i want an open back version of this, thats why i want dt990.

Mar 7, 2017 at 6:42 PM Post #38,453 of 48,562
I am going to play devils advocate here. Neither of the Beyers DT990 bother me. I own both the 250 pro and premium and I don't mind the treble on both through my Fiio E09k. The E09K isn't exactly neutral, it is a tad darker so maybe I was getting some treble roll off.

I am playing the other side cause I am one of the very rare in this thread that greatly dislikes the AKG7series. The big pads on both the Annie 702 and 712 gave me horrible headaches and jaw pain. I would still love to own one some day just to say I did but I don't think I could ever use it again. At least not for very long stints. I remember the bass being ok but coming from DT990 it just didn't' compare. The soundstage on both didn't compare to Senn HD598. Again lots will argue but different ears on different folks.  

The pro is bassier and has less soundstage, by a tiny tiny amount. The premium has less clamp for some reason that lessens the bass and slightly increases the soundstage. Plus the premium is so comfortable. 

To be perfectly honest, I haven't used my Beyers all that much over the last couple of years, because as soon as I bought the Sony MA900 I haven't looked back. Unfortunately for your research it doesn't help much.

As far as the Phillips goes I just never really got a chance to try either one. Really wanted too. But I just love my Sony so much I just didn't care for a side grade and couldn't really afford it at the time. 

Just make sure buy from a dealer with a good return policy (amazon) don't be ready to settle on something you are aren't happy with. Spend a week with it. Don't convince yourself that, that bass roll off or piercing treble is going to magically disappear. Like many in this thread I have probably gone through 6 or 7 (Some like EV and MLE probably way over 20.) pairs to find the one I love. Crappy financial times was the only reason I stopped. lol  Best of luck

Mar 7, 2017 at 6:44 PM Post #38,454 of 48,562
The DT990 depends on amp. With tubes? It's fine. Yeah there's a spike but it's not killer. The headphones are probably (IMO) the best low cost gaming headphones out there. You can snag a pair for barely anything compared to a lot of this list.

Right now I'm using HD700s, and maybe it's because I'm coming from the DT990s, but I also don't find their treble nearly as problematic as others have said, and I listen to a ton of loud metal through them with no issues. Little Dot MK2 with Mullard tubes, so that may very well be warming the sound up a good bit.

Mar 8, 2017 at 4:57 PM Post #38,455 of 48,562
actualy at first i want to pair 250ohm version with fiio e17k so i can set the treble, but i saw that bundle and i heard that 600ohm version is a little bit softer than the 250 ohm. 

i didn't pick x2 because phillips didn't sell the replacement earpads. and i heard x2 have "bleeding ink" issue
is akg k7xx good for all arrounder? what about soundstage and positional cue? compare to beyer
i heard that akg (k7 xx,12pro,01  q701  and k612pro) are very little bass. i'm not an audiophile, i want at least like m50x (flat but with a little added bass). from those akg line up, which have sound signature close to m50x and still good for gaming? which have bigger soundstage and easy to drive?
actually i have ath ws1100is which i very love the sound so much. i want an open back version of this, thats why i want dt990.

I own the X2 and Q701 and the Q701 is better for gaming, especially competitive gaming. It's a really analytical headphone and its positioning is god-tier. Replace the headband or put something over it. The bass is weak but it's certainly present. 

The X2 is great too for gaming and very, very easy to drive and is the most comfortable headphone I've ever used. I've not had the bleeding ink issue and I wear them for 8-10 hours a day for work, gaming, and movie watching. The bass is great and the soundstage is ridiculous as well. You can also use it with the V-Moda Boompro mic.

Mar 8, 2017 at 5:02 PM Post #38,456 of 48,562

The X2 QC issues are overblown, in my opinion. I owned 3 pairs, and I thought they sounded identical. Furthermore, the Brainwavz velour pads are about $25/$30, and are even more comfortable. Edit: These were all post glue-gate, but I really never saw a problem with them and thought they sounded good.

The AKG K7XX sounds like a good match, and they do sell replacement pads, but they cost $70 last time I checked. Also, you'll need an adapter to get the K7XX's mini-XLR input to work.

Mar 8, 2017 at 10:46 PM Post #38,457 of 48,562
Well, I'm pretty stoked that Outlast 2 finally has a release date. I forgot I still have yet to play the Whistleblower dlc I bought from a flash sale a while back. Debating whether to stream or not. The main game crept me out a few times haha.

Mar 8, 2017 at 10:53 PM Post #38,458 of 48,562
Well, I'm pretty stoked that Outlast 2 finally has a release date. I forgot I still have yet to play the Whistleblower dlc I bought from a flash sale a while back. Debating whether to stream or not. The main game crept me out a few times haha.

My only problem with Outlast was how repetitive it got in the gameplay sections. Too much time spent running in circles looking for keys. Hopefully 2 avoids that.

Mar 9, 2017 at 12:04 AM Post #38,459 of 48,562
My only problem with Outlast was how repetitive it got in the gameplay sections. Too much time spent running in circles looking for keys. Hopefully 2 avoids that.

Yeah, played Whistleblower for a bout 20 minutes and it was more of the same. It was only $2, and the main game was free on ps+. Still enjoyed it for what it was.

Mar 9, 2017 at 12:13 AM Post #38,460 of 48,562
Yeah, played Whistleblower for a bout 20 minutes and it was more of the same. It was only $2, and the main game was free on ps+. Still enjoyed it for what it was.

For two bucks it's a damn good purchase.

I'm a big horror hound. I've played pretty much every horror game available on PC, every Amnesia/Slender/Outlast/FNAF/etc. Always looking for that next thing. Another reason I love headphones! They make the experience so much more visceral.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back