Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Feb 21, 2017 at 9:05 AM Post #38,296 of 48,583
The HD 600 can handle up to 200mw

no you gotta figure out what the Omni achieves at 300 Ohms. I doubt it can deliver 200mw.

Feb 21, 2017 at 9:23 AM Post #38,298 of 48,583
hey guys, i am new on audio, and i plan to buy open back headphone for music, gaming, and movies.. 
from what i read, maybe dt990 meet those criteria. but there are some problem that holding me back:
First, how harsh the treble on beyer dt990, compare to msr7 (actually I have ws1100 which according to people is a fun version of msr7 with bass and mid backwards)
second, I don't have an amp, is there any portable amp that can drive dt990 properly under 200$?

Feb 21, 2017 at 9:23 AM Post #38,299 of 48,583
It seems at a load of 300 Ohm it delivers 10,33mw. Not sure if I'm reading this correctly. Could have told already that this thing is underfiring the HD 600 anyway which requires 20mw to reach 110db cleanly but that's really subpar.

http://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/report/amp/creative-soundblaster-omny-surround.php#rw13

Feb 21, 2017 at 9:35 AM Post #38,300 of 48,583
  It seems at a load of 300 Ohm it delivers 10,33mw. Not sure if I'm reading this correctly. Could have told already that this thing is underfiring the HD 600 anyway which requires 20mw to reach 110db cleanly but that's really subpar.

http://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en/report/amp/creative-soundblaster-omny-surround.php#rw13

So I'm in no danger then? That's good to know. I bought a Little Dot Mkiii to drive them with a little more authority, but sadly it has to go back due to a couple of issues. Mind you, on the Omni I only run the HD 600s between 20%-26%. So In terms of raw volume I'm not pushing the Omni, though I realise dynamics should improve with a better amp. I have pretty sensitive ears and don't really enjoy having the volume particularly high.

Thanks for the help.

Feb 21, 2017 at 12:15 PM Post #38,301 of 48,583
Incorrect. It must NOT be set to headphones. Dolby Headphone is supposed to take a 5.1 sound source to convert to DH. By using Headphone, you're using the WRONG source. Headphone is for people using standard headphones on a standard headphone output that is plain stereo.

I tried every audio setting both stereo and surround in the game and Dolby on the Amp activated...if Astro defines this as how games are supposed to sound, then the Dolby setting is just something I could never depend on. What you gain in somewhat lackluster surround you loose in depth, clarity and overall soundstage. It has the echo, the thin can sound and what not. I will try that youtube video on my PS4 Pro now :)
Hey sounds, are these the MA900 precursors? Pretty well regarded IIRC. These aren't the Qualia, right?
Uh, ok, I see what is happening here. Turning on "Headphone" and "surround" mode in game settings creates it's own VSS, which you are then doubling the processing with Dolby Headphone from the Mixamp. To make matters worse than merely doubling the effect, the output from "headphone" mode in BF1 is simply 2-channel stereo, so instead of Dolby Headphone working with 5.1-7.1 channels of sound it's only working with 2. Applying Dolby headphone to a 2-channel mix has always created a reverb-y mess (other processors do much better trying to create the out-of-your-head sensation of two speakers in front of you, not been Dolby's strong suit IMO).

So, again
BF1 is taking audio positions, and using it's own VSS to create a 2-channel headphone VSS mix. That processed 2-channel Mix is again being processed by Dolby Headphone to try to sound like 2 speakers in front of you. Try going for the least processing inside BF1 as possible.

So I should choose anything BUT headphones in the settings, game audio in stereo and feed it to the amp with the Dolby setting on? I have tried every possible setting, but whatever Astro is doing to the signal when pressing that Dolby button...I dont agree. My ears definitely won't accept such poor overall soundstage by a long shot. Battlefield 1 simply does not sound good on this amp with the Dolby weirdness on. That was somewhat expected since I never really liked the VSS-fuzz anyways.

EDIT: OK, watched the provided YouTube link from Mad Lust Envy..and YES! Thats more like it, not thin can echo and distorted crap sounding imaging like BF1 and Dolby on. 

Feb 21, 2017 at 3:36 PM Post #38,302 of 48,583
Finally..I made progress!

I switched from Dolby Bitstream to Linear PCM.. I could not believe my own ears when I quickly jumped back in-game battle. No muffled sounds, clarity and rawness from weapons and bullets everywhere. And the echo? Well the echo is now present where one would expect echo to occur! No shallow,metallic,reverbing of the sound, making it unbearable.
The console is noe feeding raw PCM stereo into the Mixamp, everything sound alot better and more natural... I am getting more confused along the way. Oh well, as long as it sounds heavenly better than before :)

I actually had to check if the Dolby mode was activated :p The soundstage is now more like how it was when I had surround and headphones activated in-game, but with the Dolby-mode off! But with significantly expanded soundstage! Too bad I am off to another graveyard shift :frowning2:

Feb 21, 2017 at 7:04 PM Post #38,303 of 48,583
  Finally..I made progress!

I switched from Dolby Bitstream to Linear PCM.. I could not believe my own ears when I quickly jumped back in-game battle. No muffled sounds, clarity and rawness from weapons and bullets everywhere. And the echo? Well the echo is now present where one would expect echo to occur! No shallow,metallic,reverbing of the sound, making it unbearable.
The console is noe feeding raw PCM stereo into the Mixamp, everything sound alot better and more natural... I am getting more confused along the way. Oh well, as long as it sounds heavenly better than before :)

I actually had to check if the Dolby mode was activated :p The soundstage is now more like how it was when I had surround and headphones activated in-game, but with the Dolby-mode off! But with significantly expanded soundstage! Too bad I am off to another graveyard shift :frowning2:

If you have switched to Linear PCM, I'm pretty sure you aren't using the surround capability at all as the Mixamp can only process Dolby (or at least that's the way it works on the older versions, which leads me to this question...). Which version of the Mixamp do you have? I've not been following this conversation from the start. I read some reviews of the TR Mixamp and one user that said he has owned more than one generation said the new one sounds horrible, echoey and tinny in comparison to his older ones. He also said that there were other users on the Astro forums with the same complaint.

Edit: Also found this after a brief Google search.

Feb 21, 2017 at 7:28 PM Post #38,304 of 48,583
I have the Mixamp Pro TR, and I've been reading on the Astro forums and there are alot of people complaining on the exact same thing as I've mentioned in this thread. The Mixamp is doing something to the signal regardless of Bitstream or Linear PCM. The difference is that I dont like it at all when on Bitstream, it is completely useless. 

I also linked to that video on the previous page, it is exactly like that. But take every single sound in the game and add echo og lots of reverb. 

Feb 21, 2017 at 7:32 PM Post #38,305 of 48,583
  I have the Mixamp Pro TR, and I've been reading on the Astro forums and there are alot of people complaining on the exact same thing as I've mentioned in this thread. The Mixamp is doing something to the signal regardless of Bitstream or Linear PCM. The difference is that I dont like it at all when on Bitstream, it is completely useless. 

I also linked to that video on the previous page, it is exactly like that. But take every single sound in the game and add echo og lots of reverb. 

Yeah, seems to be a lot of people over there not happy with the TR. There's even a petition for them to fix the sound.

Feb 21, 2017 at 7:40 PM Post #38,307 of 48,583
  Yup, something sure is amiss on the latest model of this amp.

May be worth staying on linear PCM stereo for now and hope Astro releases an update. Sadly, in my experience Astro has a tendency to deny all knowledge of any problems. There's one guy on the forums that is actually helpful. If you email them directly they are absolutely hopeless.

Feb 22, 2017 at 2:00 AM Post #38,309 of 48,583
I have been checking out more 3D Binaural Audio and found one that is kind of creepy lol.

I hope  game developers really start going back into implementing 3D audio. 

I mean we are already seeing it in some games especially for VR but we want more! 
tongue.gif

Feb 22, 2017 at 6:29 AM Post #38,310 of 48,583
As someone thats owned every model of mixamp up to the TR before finally growing up to the X7 I can assure you that the TR is a special kind of broken. The TR sounds like everything is coming through a pillow, has nasty echo and on treble peaks has a nasty hollow metallic sound.

I could only stand it for a week as I knew something was amiss due my prior experience with Dolby headphone. Dolby headphone can be fantastic if executed properly which the TR does not. The 2014 mixamp does just fine.

I will say though I now own HD800-S, a fully upgraded Sparkos x7 Limited Edition, and later today will have a Schiit Jotunheim to round it all off. Audio is a rabbit hole - I'd say a pair of k7xx's with an x7 (with Sparkos single upgrades) would knock most everyone's socks off.

You can do a lot better than the TR Mixamp. What really pissed me off is that Astro continually denies that the sound signature has any fault and claims that Dolby signs off on the TRs Dolby mix and that they have no involvement. This is after years of producing a solid Dolby headphone offering in their other Mixamps. It's cost cutting for sure - as was the move to make the amps function with one console (sucker those into buying two skus.)

A great gaming headset that really got me into another level of sound quality was the Beyerdynamic MMX 300.

Just my two cents

Users who are viewing this thread

Back