Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Feb 21, 2017 at 1:04 AM Post #38,281 of 48,583
All settings on PS4 is correct. In-game settings are set to "Headphone" and "Surround" . And yes, the Dolby button is illuminated wich indicates ON yes?

I hear alot of the same bad sounding image as with the VSS-mode on the Sonys, its a mess.

Set it to Home Theater and Surround and try again.

Feb 21, 2017 at 1:18 AM Post #38,283 of 48,583
There are no such thing as a "Theater" mode.

I just have to try them all i guess..

These are the settings If i remember correctly:
Small
Medium
Large speakers
Headphones
Logitech Pro G
War Tapes

Stereo/Surround.

That's weird, BF4 had a dedicated Home Theater mode. No idea why they cut it. Try Large Speakers first, Dolby Headphone is supposed to recreate the sound of a Home Theater setup using a pair of headphones.

Feb 21, 2017 at 1:59 AM Post #38,286 of 48,583
All settings on PS4 is correct. In-game settings are set to "Headphone" and "Surround" . And yes, the Dolby button is illuminated wich indicates ON yes?

I hear alot of the same bad sounding image as with the VSS-mode on the Sonys, its a mess. I will try to mess around with the audio settings in the game later today.

Incorrect. It must NOT be set to headphones. Dolby Headphone is supposed to take a 5.1 sound source to convert to DH. By using Headphone, you're using the WRONG source. Headphone is for people using standard headphones on a standard headphone output that is plain stereo.

Feb 21, 2017 at 2:00 AM Post #38,287 of 48,583
Well this thread here describes exactly what is going on really:
http://forums.astrogaming.com/index.php?threads/mixamp-pro-tr-dolby-sounds-terrible.197078/

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LtNF1i2eSwg&feature=youtu.be

Imagine 64 player Battlefield with that echo thrown in the mix. It is just unbearable.

I had the first generation A50 for a couple of years, and the Dolby-mode on that simple amp sounded better actually.

Feb 21, 2017 at 2:02 AM Post #38,288 of 48,583
That being said, you were using the wrong sound setting. ANything after that, well, I dunno. Dolby Headphone is SUPPOSED to sound very different from what you're used to in a normal headphone situation. It's mimicking speakers in a room. That takes getting used to. But to say it sounds flat and whatnot, that is not what it's supposed to be.

Feb 21, 2017 at 2:07 AM Post #38,289 of 48,583
I'll post and example vid I linked to on the first post. It is already pre-mixed with DH, so TURN OFF Dolby on your mixamp when listening to this. And no, do NOT turn ON Dolby to compare. This video is already converted, and not a 5.1 Doplby signal, so it won't work that way.

[VIDEO]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcp9mNbhtFo[/VIDEO]

This should give you a better idea.

Feb 21, 2017 at 2:27 AM Post #38,290 of 48,583
Someone snag this for gaming!

http://www.head-fi.org/t/836036/sony-sa3000/0_30#post_13260458

Hey sounds, are these the MA900 precursors? Pretty well regarded IIRC. These aren't the Qualia, right?

I hear alot of the same bad sounding image as with the VSS-mode on the Sonys, its a mess. I will try to mess around with the audio settings in the game later today.

Uh, ok, I see what is happening here. Turning on "Headphone" and "surround" mode in game settings creates it's own VSS, which you are then doubling the processing with Dolby Headphone from the Mixamp. To make matters worse than merely doubling the effect, the output from "headphone" mode in BF1 is simply 2-channel stereo, so instead of Dolby Headphone working with 5.1-7.1 channels of sound it's only working with 2. Applying Dolby headphone to a 2-channel mix has always created a reverb-y mess (other processors do much better trying to create the out-of-your-head sensation of two speakers in front of you, not been Dolby's strong suit IMO).

So, again
BF1 is taking audio positions, and using it's own VSS to create a 2-channel headphone VSS mix. That processed 2-channel Mix is again being processed by Dolby Headphone to try to sound like 2 speakers in front of you. Try going for the least processing inside BF1 as possible.

Feb 21, 2017 at 2:52 AM Post #38,291 of 48,583
Evshrug correct. They are a bit better than thr MA900 in music imo. However they are tuned with a bright tilt just a hair, I'd say similar to a velour padded akg 6-701 series. However if you like classical or jazz or well mastered the mids are very well done. When watching movies the sub bass does gave rumble and punch but music dept they sound bass light (if you're used to bassy phones that is).

Feb 21, 2017 at 3:50 AM Post #38,292 of 48,583
I've heard they are shrill sounding and sterile. Probably a good recipe for competitive sound whoring, but not for casual use, at least for those like who like a fuller tone.

Feb 21, 2017 at 4:03 AM Post #38,293 of 48,583
I'd say it depends on the music. The odd thing is I've used a mdr-z1r exclusively for the last 2-3 months which they've been chocolate deliciously smooth operator but phones like hd800 doesn't sound shrill to me when I went back to them; same as goes with the sa3000 but I've only had them for a month now.

Sound decent for movies straight out of an xbox one controller too.

Feb 21, 2017 at 6:43 AM Post #38,294 of 48,583
What about blue mic newest headphones?

Feb 21, 2017 at 8:45 AM Post #38,295 of 48,583
Hey guys. Last night due to either the Sound Blaster software or Windows changing my settings when I unplugged my headphones and later plugged them back in, I accidentally gave my HD 600s a blast at full volume with the Omni.

I can't hear anything obviously wrong with them, but I'm slightly worried I might have done some damage that isn't manifesting in an obvious manner. Do you think the Omni has enough power to have done any damage?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back