Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Feb 18, 2017 at 10:04 PM Post #38,266 of 48,583
My ZXR is coming on Monday. I must say, I am very excited. 

I've tried Phoebus, good on stereo(better than even modi/magni) but its surround features and Dolby didn't suit my taste. It leans too much on Dolby. Drivers are bit nasty too (most people using old drivers on Win 10, by changing .dll)

I only tried once SBX and CMSS-3D, but it was a mid-tier Creative card. ... It blowed up my mind, I understood why everyone says SBX beats Dolby in every aspect.  

Now I only want the same SBX features , and a bit better stereo quality, something like Phoebus. 

ZXR is top tier Creative Card. I think I couldn't go further with a sound card which have DSP-HRTF in it. 

Evidences, reviews, recorded sounds show that most probably it will be my heaven, but I'm still nervous. 

I hope my expactations will be met.

Feb 20, 2017 at 5:19 AM Post #38,267 of 48,583
Hey, i'm happy being a part of this community now after lurking for some months! 
I'm looking for a new headphone to use for gaming and music. My budget goes up to 500€. I'm currently using the Teufel Aureol Real (which is kind of non-existent on this site?) paired with the V-Moda BoomPro and the Sound Blaster X7. The Aureol Real sounds relatively neutral and I quite like the sound, but the build quality is bad and I have problems with the positioning while gaming.
Since I already own the BoomPro, I'd like to get a pair with a standard 3.5mm exchangeable cable. I looked around quite a bit but didn't find many cans with that connector. The best pair I found is the Fidelio X2, but it seems to be kinda V-shaped. So I was wondering if there are any "better" headphones that match my criteria? Or should I just get a pair that sounds good to me and buy another mic?

Feb 20, 2017 at 5:36 AM Post #38,268 of 48,583
  Hey, i'm happy being a part of this community now after lurking for some months! 
I'm looking for a new headphone to use for gaming and music. My budget goes up to 500€. I'm currently using the Teufel Aureol Real (which is kind of non-existent on this site?) paired with the V-Moda BoomPro and the Sound Blaster X7. The Aureol Real sounds relatively neutral and I quite like the sound, but the build quality is bad and I have problems with the positioning while gaming.
Since I already own the BoomPro, I'd like to get a pair with a standard 3.5mm exchangeable cable. I looked around quite a bit but didn't find many cans with that connector. The best pair I found is the Fidelio X2, but it seems to be kinda V-shaped. So I was wondering if there are any "better" headphones that match my criteria? Or should I just get a pair that sounds good to me and buy another mic?

BoomPro can be plugged into pretty much anything with an appropriate adapter. Mimic Cables sells adapters for AKG headphones (here), for other brands You'd either have to PM TJ (guy who runs Mimic Cables) or PETEREK (OG modder and DYI guy here on Head-Fi).

Feb 20, 2017 at 5:53 AM Post #38,269 of 48,583
BoomPro can be plugged into pretty much anything with an appropriate adapter. Mimic Cables sells adapters for AKG headphones (here), for other brands You'd either have to PM TJ (guy who runs Mimic Cables) or PETEREK (OG modder and DYI guy here on Head-Fi).

How do these adapters attach to the AKG K612? I can't see where they would attach, allowing the v-moda boom mic to be used.

Feb 20, 2017 at 6:10 AM Post #38,270 of 48,583
How do these adapters attach to the AKG K612? I can't see where they would attach, allowing the v-moda boom mic to be used.

They don't. AKG K612 has a hardwired cable. This adapter is meant to be used with headphones that use a mini XLR connector such as AKG K702 AKG K712 or AKG K7XX.

Feb 20, 2017 at 6:43 AM Post #38,272 of 48,583
  BoomPro can be plugged into pretty much anything with an appropriate adapter. Mimic Cables sells adapters for AKG headphones, for other brands You'd either have to PM TJ (guy who runs Mimic Cables) or PETEREK (OG modder and DYI guy here on Head-Fi).

Thanks for the info! $30 (+shipping to the EU) seems to be pretty expensive though. I could probably buy a new mic for that money.

Feb 20, 2017 at 6:55 AM Post #38,273 of 48,583

Thanks for the info! $30 (+shipping to the EU) seems to be pretty expensive though. I could probably buy a new mic for that money.

Yeah, that may not be the best idea. However if You do now any modders/cable makers in Your region You can ask them for a quote on a similar adapter, may be cheaper in the long run.

Feb 20, 2017 at 3:02 PM Post #38,274 of 48,583
How come the V-Moda M-100 isn't rated for gaming? Is it due to them being a bit heavy?

I don't notice a disadvantage when 'sound-whoring' with them.. They give me pretty good resolution for gaming and produce directional sounds fairly well. Maybe height not so much, but level angle I can hear very well.

Feb 21, 2017 at 12:20 AM Post #38,276 of 48,583
TBH there aren't that many reasons to use a full size ATX board anyway. All devices that we used to plug into PCIe slots are now USB (sound cards, network cards, capture cards) or M.2 (SSD drives). You can even run 20+ core Xeons and have 64GB of ram on a Mini-ITX board now.

Current PC (left) vs previous PC (right). And it's possible to go even smaller.

Lian-Li TU-100/200?

I like the idea of that case, but I'd like it to be longer and have a rear fan slot as well. What do you have inside?

But now that mini 1080s are out...

I'm just waiting for the eventual Mastercase 2.I've been betting on Coolermaster to make an ITX version since last year. The Mastercase 3 is close to ideal, but I want it in ITX form. I would love a T version like the Mastercase 5T, with that sexy handle, but I don't think that's coming anytime soon. CM has been slow ion additional accessories for the 3.

Feb 21, 2017 at 12:35 AM Post #38,277 of 48,583
So I finally got a pair of the newest edition of the A40 TR + Mixamp Pro TR for cheap, I actually only wanted the Mixamp but the asking price was pretty good anyways. I paired the Mixamp with a Fidelio X2, great headset for both gaming and music in my ears! They actually sounded pretty good via. the PS4 controller too! Playing Battlefield 1 is eargasmic, especially with the Mixamp and fooling around with the EQ-settings is a very flexible feature to have.

I never expect much from virtual surround stuff, like Sony Gold and the Platinum (I have tried these for a couple of weeks after having the Gold since last summer) Turning this feature on..the soundstage collapses and everything sounds like ****..like the worst kind of separation ever. Just horrible. If I just run them like normal(no VSS),only turning surround on in Battlefield 1 audio settings..well lets just say that it sound ALOT better and it gives a much better surround experience .

I did expect the Mixamp to sound better then the the GOLD/Platinum for some reason though. But I was really disappointed to say it the least. Thin,echoing, metallic ****storm of sound. Separation is horrible and everything sounds flat. There is no way anyone actually uses the Dolby mode on this amp? Is it? 

Apart form a totally useless gimmick "Dolby feature", I really enjoy the Mixamp Pro + Fidelio X2 combo! Playing BF1 agains is a blast, as long as I keep the ****ty Dolby crap off that is. Now I just have to wait for my seperate Boom Mic that is on its way!

Feb 21, 2017 at 12:39 AM Post #38,278 of 48,583
You sure you're not confusing Dolby Off, with On? Because turning on Dolby expands the soundstage significantly. Tuirning it off, everything sounds like it's coming from a straight horizontal line. Also, people love to judge things immediately instead of giving them like a week for your ears to adjust. ALSO, making sure BF is set to theater mode/5.1 for sound, or whatever is close to that. As well as the PS4 sound settings to be on Dolby/Bitstream.

Feb 21, 2017 at 12:41 AM Post #38,279 of 48,583
Lian-Li TU-100/200?

I like the idea of that case, but I'd like it to be longer and have a rear fan slot as well. What do you have inside?

But now that mini 1080s are out...

It's the TU100. I'd probably go with a case even smaller if such cases were actually available (Dan Cases A4X doesn't count since it's near impossible to buy)

CPU: I7-6800K
MoBo: Asrock X99 mini-itx
RAM: Corsair 2133Mhz 32GB (forgot the exact model name)
Cooling: Cooler Master Seidon 120V (watercooling is a must with this little space)
SSD: Samsung 950 Pro NVME (I chose an M.2 drive because of space constraints not because of performance)
PSU: Corsair SFF 600W
GPU: GTX 750Ti (Again, space was #1 factor)

CPU runs below 40C on idle and 40-50C on full load. GPU during regular use runs at 40C and goes up to 65C on full load so it's not that bad.

Zotac has a mini 1080 that would fit perfectly inside.

Feb 21, 2017 at 1:02 AM Post #38,280 of 48,583
You sure you're not confusing Dolby Off, with On? Because turning on Dolby expands the soundstage significantly. Tuirning it off, everything sounds like it's coming from a straight horizontal line. Also, people love to judge things immediately instead of giving them like a week for your ears to adjust. ALSO, making sure BF is set to theater mode/5.1 for sound, or whatever is close to that. As well as the PS4 sound settings to be on Dolby/Bitstream.

All settings on PS4 is correct. In-game settings are set to "Headphone" and "Surround" . And yes, the Dolby button is illuminated wich indicates ON yes?

I hear alot of the same bad sounding image as with the VSS-mode on the Sonys, its a mess. I will try to mess around with the audio settings in the game later today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back