Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 28, 2016 at 12:59 AM Post #37,666 of 48,562
So I have all my parts coming in within the next week or two but just realized that I'm not sure how to get it all hooked up. Getting a Xonar DX to take advantage of the DH technology. Should my set up look like this?

PC/Soundcard > Y Splitter via SPDIF Out > Mini to RCA > Amp > Headphones
                                                           \> RCA > Speakers

Where do I hook up my ModMic to my motherboard mic? The Xonar DX uses the same port for the SPDIF/mic.

edit: Looks like I hook up the splitter (can I do this?) into the second slot or the headphone out. 

Dec 28, 2016 at 11:34 AM Post #37,667 of 48,562
IIRC Realizer A16 has an optical out so You could just plug a Bluetooth transmitter into A16 to achieve exactly that.

The Realiser is purported to have 3D positioned audio of a kind... but only with content encoded with Aurosonic 3D (do you know any game supporting that?), and anyway it's still just based on emulating speakers in a room rather than just freely simulating the environment in the game/movie with a binaural mix.

Dec 28, 2016 at 1:01 PM Post #37,668 of 48,562
These M40X have one small sound stage and the directional audio isn't all that, Almost pointless plugging them into the dss2, i may aswell just use them with the ps4 controller..The M30X had a bigger sound stage with really good directional audio with the dss2, i am regretting sending them back now. A bit of an update i have messed about with the settings a bit with the dss2 and they are not as bad as i first thought, i still wouldn't rush out and by a pair!

Dec 29, 2016 at 3:31 AM Post #37,669 of 48,562
AKG 712 Pros coming tomorrow to pair with my Soundblaster x7 Limited Edition. Is this a good pairing?

I currently have Beyerdynamic MMX 300s which to my understanding are the equivalents of the DT770's. Should I expect a completely different sound signature that's a little more analytical? A better soundstage?

I'm sooo excited! I play a lot of Rainbow Six Siege.

Dec 29, 2016 at 3:36 AM Post #37,670 of 48,562
AKG 712 Pros coming tomorrow to pair with my Soundblaster x7 Limited Edition. Is this a good pairing?

I currently have Beyerdynamic MMX 300s which to my understanding are the equivalents of the DT770's. Should I expect a completely different sound signature that's a little more analytical? A better soundstage?

Nice! Let me know what you think, I got the X7 recently with 712's on the way.

Dec 29, 2016 at 3:57 AM Post #37,671 of 48,562

well, larger soundstage with noticably more breathing room and Entfaltung 
evil_smiley.gif
. Tighter Bass, more linear. Hear it for yourself, you'll appreciate the change after you got used to it for a while. 
I'm not a fan of the X7's amp but it'll be ok. You could do better but don't concern yourself with that for a longer time. 

Dec 29, 2016 at 5:15 AM Post #37,672 of 48,562
These M40X have one small sound stage and the directional audio isn't all that, Almost pointless plugging them into the dss2, i may aswell just use them with the ps4 controller..The M30X had a bigger sound stage with really good directional audio with the dss2, i am regretting sending them back now. A bit of an update i have messed about with the settings a bit with the dss2 and they are not as bad as i first thought, i still wouldn't rush out and by a pair!

That's to bad you didn't like the M40X.

I like them especially with the hm5 leather pads.

I'm not sure what your looking for or what headphones you currently own.

But if you want better sound-stage and positional awareness you should look at open back headphones.

Dec 29, 2016 at 7:30 AM Post #37,673 of 48,562
I need help from someone who has professional ears. I recently had m50x headphones and sold them to buy the m40x headphones as I heard it sounded better. Now that I have the m40x headphones I don't know if I like them better than the m50x or if I downgraded... I hope the M50x isn't a cuss word in here lol. Lot of people say they are all hype.

Dec 29, 2016 at 8:00 AM Post #37,674 of 48,562
don't buy M50x for gaming and movies.They're fine enough for music when bought below 100, other than that. DON'T BUY THEM FOR GAMING AND MOVIES as their soundstage is too small, too congested and the headphone "suffers" from lack of air. 

Creative Aurvana Live are better for gaming. Other than that, HD 518, SHP 9500, HD 558, HD 598, DT990 etc.......

Dec 29, 2016 at 9:41 AM Post #37,675 of 48,562
I need help from someone who has professional ears. I recently had m50x headphones and sold them to buy the m40x headphones as I heard it sounded better. Now that I have the m40x headphones I don't know if I like them better than the m50x or if I downgraded... I hope the M50x isn't a cuss word in here lol. Lot of people say they are all hype.

DT770 should be hyped more than M50X imo, way better, with controlled bass and better soundstage :D

Dec 29, 2016 at 10:13 AM Post #37,677 of 48,562
Guys,

If anyone can provide some insight, I would appreciate it.

Long story short, I went from a Sound Blaster G5 to a ZxR for the better surround processing. (I loved the Zxr)

However, I recently put together a new Skylake build, and the ZxR has issues on the Maximus board I have. (Reading around, it sounds like it's common.) I wound up returning the ZxR cause I was still able to, but now I'm not content with the G5. 

Is there another option that would provide surround processing as good as or near the ZxR? Anyone try the Asus Strix Raid DLX? Or even the onboard sound "SupremeFX 2015?"

Thanks!

Dec 29, 2016 at 10:18 AM Post #37,678 of 48,562
don't buy M50x for gaming and movies.They're fine enough for music when bought below 100, other than that. DON'T BUY THEM FOR GAMING AND MOVIES as their soundstage is too small, too congested and the headphone "suffers" from lack of air. 

Creative Aurvana Live are better for gaming. Other than that, HD 518, SHP 9500, HD 558, HD 598, DT990 etc.......
I actually have the SHP9500 and the Creative Aurvana Live. I also jave the hyperlux668s.I used to have the dt990,the padding really irritated my skin and gave me a rash. I used to have the HD598 but they didnt have quite enough bass. I'm looking for just some good headphones for rock music. Im all set for gaming I think would like a nice pair of closed back that could do gaming and music well.

Dec 29, 2016 at 5:54 PM Post #37,680 of 48,562

well, larger soundstage with noticably more breathing room and Entfaltung 
evil_smiley.gif
. Tighter Bass, more linear. Hear it for yourself, you'll appreciate the change after you got used to it for a while. 
I'm not a fan of the X7's amp but it'll be ok. You could do better but don't concern yourself with that for a longer time. 

Have you swapped op-amps?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back