Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 24, 2016 at 2:16 PM Post #37,638 of 48,566
  What amp would you recommend with the K7xx? Is it worth getting an additional soundcard or would the onboard audio of the Asus Z170 Pro Gaming motherboard do just fine?

Asus Xonar DX, because of the CS4398 DAC chip.
(guess the Xonar DX is somewhat optional)
Bravo Ocean tube (hybrid) headphone amplifier.

Dec 24, 2016 at 2:17 PM Post #37,639 of 48,566
I'm not real familar with onboard motherboard audio... maybe someone else could chime in on that.

Personally if you can swing the creative X7 I would go that route. It retails for 400, but is often on sale for 270-300.

After writing the above I realized you might only be PC gaming, if this is the case it's possible there are better PC only sound cards/processors available. Sorry!

Thanks! I'm gonna investigate gaming on-board audio quality a bit more. I will need an amp though. How about the Schiit Magni 2?

Dec 24, 2016 at 2:22 PM Post #37,640 of 48,566

Asus Xonar DX, because of the CS4398 DAC chip.
(guess the Xonar DX is somewhat optional)
Bravo Ocean tube (hybrid) headphone amplifier.

I forgot to mention I will have an Asus Z170I Pro Gaming in an NCASE v5... so I can't really afford to add much inside the case. I can solely consider external audio cards. What's the newbie explanation for "because of the CS4398 DAC chip"?

Dec 24, 2016 at 3:12 PM Post #37,641 of 48,566
Good point. If you already have a sound card, test out the built in DAC before springing for an external one. Chances are it will suffice. Now, if you are hearing background noise, then an upgrade might be worthwhile. That $100 saved on a Modi could go towards a nice pair of cans.

Thats a way to go about it .

I have thought about this and I think i will keep my xonar DX as an DAC . It has a very good chip in it and DACS have less of an impact than people think tbh.

I am gonna get a pair of k712 pros and an amp . If I find the DX insuffecient I will buy a dedicated DAC but I doubt this will be the case.

That's the thing people forget about the Schiit Stack, particularly the Modi: it's an entry-level DAC. The Omni and SoundBlaster Z have entry-level DACs. The FiiO E10k has an entry-level DAC. The DACs built into smartphones are entry-level, but their amps usually have a weaker amp and some distortion. Computers usually are even worse, sometimes having a step below entry-level DACs and Amps!

The Modi is a decent entry-level DAC, essentially it doesn't sound flawed and can sidestep a lot of problems with PC setups, but people hear it and their journey with DACs ends there. It's NOT better than an Omni or a Xonar, rather a sidegrade.

You can just go modi 2 / magni 2 for sure with those headphones.

You could... not an ideal recommendation for gaming.

That's what I'm asking if the x7 is the only external device that will decode into Dolby headphone and then also be able to send the signal back out via optical like how your pc sound cards are doing it

Very confident that, right now, the X7 is the only external device that will decode Dolby (Digital Live 5.1/7.1), use a DSP method to encode a headphone Virtual Surround mix, and can then send that resultant stereo encoded with the processed sound to a digital output (Optical toslink)... with the exception of the Smyth Realiser A8, and soon the A16.
I think there are still MANY devices that do a fair job internally, there's always a price/quality ladder.

https://youtu.be/t9LmDYfiDNc

Forgive me if this has been posted but its really interesting, it looks like  Sony is making their own Dolby Atmos headphone tech. 

I wonder how many 3rd party developers will support it.

Sony's proprietary Surround has been lackluster in the past, like in their special wireless Surround processor with matched headphones... BUT, they have obviously been working, and as a generalIzed HRTF I thought the truely 3D surround in the PlayStation VR sounded pretty good.

Guess this is more of a product hype, then something different from what everyone else in gaming console headphone audio is trying to do.

Maybe. But it's overdue. You know as well as I, the advancement of audio has been interesting and not particularly straight! Mono audio reproduction at first because it was difficult to sync two channels, but they figured that out pretty quick, two-channel audio RULED for decades and was iterated and perfected how it was delivered over the years (digital was at first a step back for the sake of convenience, but now it's equal or superior in personal audio reproduction). With music, it was accepted that Stereo gave a realistic enough experience... it would take the popularization of another form of media to push for change.

Then theaters started doing surround channels, although most movies didn't make much use of the potential enough did to where affordable and even bargain home theater setups were created. More people were able to get 5.1 and 7.1 surround setups in the 80's and 90's than ever before, but even today home-audio enthusiasts face challenges with having the right environment to properly set up even a 5.1 surround setup. And Cinema/movies only rarely take advantage of positional cues; they want your attention focused forward, surround cues are subtle at best and gimmicky at worst.

Now, we have the popularization of gaming. It's so pervasive now, PROBABLY everyone in this thread reading this is heavily invested in the pastime, it's amazing to me that my parents don't have much taste for it. Gaming is a paradigm shift, where things persist and make sound even if the screen is facing a different way. Gamers typically want to be immersed in the experience, not constraining the imagination to a little flat square area in front of them. In the 90's, gaming fast prompted audio to do 2D surround like home theater, then beat home theater by having true 3D surround. 3D surround has gone and returned in several hiccups over the years, partially because consoles then Microsoft killed it, but also because it was much more practical for sound engineers to support existing home theater setups than pay for the headphone surround stuff being pioneered on PC.

Headphones have always been more accessible than speakers, but only now are they finally booming in popularity, right before VR Gaming becomes mainstream. With VR, headphones are the only practical choice for audio. And 3D audio is coming back because of it. Now, if you are susceptible to motion sickness, VR may not be for you, BUT 3D audio still can give the "out of the screen" immersive experience without making you sick! I'm going to make a prediction that VR will give a trickle-down effect and even non-VR games will start having better surround support, even 3D surround support, and also that we are on the horizon of 2D surround processors like the Mixamp an X7 being phased out in favor of new-gen 3D surround processors. I don't know if solutions will be built-in like PS-VR's sound processing and not allow for upgrades beyond double-amping, or if we'll see HDMI DSPs aimed at headphones, or eventually HDMI being replaced with something that outputs a digital 3D positional audio output, but the experiences are out there and becoming more popular. Audio will continue to be refined and reiterated.

I see the summit of audio future as 3D surround processed with personalized head/ear measurements, sent to wireless LIGHT AND COMFORTABLE headphones, but there isn't a product that combines all those known technologies yet. I demand it!

Dec 24, 2016 at 3:25 PM Post #37,642 of 48,566
In terms of pure sound quality, SBX sounds cleaner and more immersive. I think it does just as good of a job as DH or better for positioning without all the reverb. I tried going back to my mixamp after the X7 and I didn't like it. Sounded like my head was in a fishbowl. This was with the mixamp double amped with a O2 as well.

More immersive is highly debatable. I find DH much, much more immersive and better at accurate locating sound cues. I do agree on the reverb.

That's because you define immersive differently. You feel (and it's your thread) that immersion is enhanced by strong bass that fills your audio senses and makes you forget your other senses (in a good way), so that all you feel is this audio experience. TeeReQs (and I) think immersion is enhanced by sounding more realistic, less processed. I totally feel both interests are valid. I tend to feel "exciting and bassy" could substitute for when you say immersive, and I think "transparent" or "believable" for the immersion I seek when I use the X7. In fact, I usually have the SBX surround set to like 100% or 80%, and a fair bit of bass EQ turned up! We're here to have fun, and when the music or other audio truely grips you and arrests your attention, that is what we are here to do!

Dec 24, 2016 at 7:56 PM Post #37,644 of 48,566
Are there any headphones that sound like the Fidelio X2 but are lighter? I had the X2 but had to sell because I found them too heavy for long listening sessions. 

Or alternatively

Are there any headphones like the SHP9500 in terms of weight/comfort and sound, but with more bass? I've started using these headphones after switching from the X2 and they are much more comfortable but I miss the bass from the X2.

Dec 24, 2016 at 9:14 PM Post #37,645 of 48,566
Hi all

Trying to set up an old Astro Mixamp 2011 with an Xbox One and an AKG Q701. I have a Vmoda Boom mic connected to the Q701 via a xlr adapter, it works great directly connected to the Xbox controller and the sound for the headphone to me sounds good.

Now in order to connect the Xbox one controller to the mic input on the mixamp do I need a 3.5mm to 2.5 mm 4 pole cable or does a regular 3 pole one work?

In this setup where could I add an amp as the mic is not separate from the audio coming out of the mixamp? Do I need the amp?

Dec 24, 2016 at 9:22 PM Post #37,646 of 48,566
Are there any headphones that sound like the Fidelio X2 but are lighter? I had the X2 but had to sell because I found them too heavy for long listening sessions. 

Or alternatively

Are there any headphones like the SHP9500 in terms of weight/comfort and sound, but with more bass? I've started using these headphones after switching from the X2 and they are much more comfortable but I miss the bass from the X2.
Akg k712 pro or Beyerdynamic dt990 I would say are similar sounding to the x2. Between the two, I prefer the akg's.

Dec 25, 2016 at 12:52 AM Post #37,647 of 48,566
That's because you define immersive differently. You feel (and it's your thread) that immersion is enhanced by strong bass that fills your audio senses and makes you forget your other senses (in a good way), so that all you feel is this audio experience. TeeReQs (and I) think immersion is enhanced by sounding more realistic, less processed. I totally feel both interests are valid. I tend to feel "exciting and bassy" could substitute for when you say immersive, and I think "transparent" or "believable" for the immersion I seek when I use the X7. In fact, I usually have the SBX surround set to like 100% or 80%, and a fair bit of bass EQ turned up! We're here to have fun, and when the music or other audio truely grips you and arrests your attention, that is what we are here to do!

Actually, I find it more immersive despite the bigger lower end. The surround dsp is more enveloping/encompassing/accurate than SBX to me. Think I've said as as such about a million times throughout the years.

I'm not arguing that SBX sounds less processed and cleaner. However, the ambience and surround positioning just isn't too par. DH feels bigger and rounder.

Dec 25, 2016 at 4:50 AM Post #37,648 of 48,566
  It appears the AKG K712 Pro is a nice upgrade from an ATH-AD700x, trading minimal loss of soundstage for more comfort and increased fun / bass. The orange color scheme is rather unfortunate though...
Do you have any alternative recommendation similar to the K712 Pro, but as strong in the "competitive" / soundstage department?
What would you recommend to drive these?
What's a good mic setup if you wish to steer clear of the Modmic solution? Will an AT2020 on a desk mounted arm not pick up mechanical keyboard noises?

How open is the K712pro (sound leakage wise, I'm not too fussed about "noise" in). 
What would be a good addition to either SB-Z or xonar DX to drive it?

I've got a second hand pair I'm looking at for around £85.

Dec 25, 2016 at 5:04 AM Post #37,649 of 48,566
Headphones have always been more accessible than speakers, but only now are they finally booming in popularity, right before VR Gaming becomes mainstream. With VR, headphones are the only practical choice for audio. And 3D audio is coming back because of it. Now, if you are susceptible to motion sickness, VR may not be for you, BUT 3D audio still can give the "out of the screen" immersive experience without making you sick! I'm going to make a prediction that VR will give a trickle-down effect and even non-VR games will start having better surround support, even 3D surround support, and also that we are on the horizon of 2D surround processors like the Mixamp an X7 being phased out in favor of new-gen 3D surround processors. I don't know if solutions will be built-in like PS-VR's sound processing and not allow for upgrades beyond double-amping, or if we'll see HDMI DSPs aimed at headphones, or eventually HDMI being replaced with something that outputs a digital 3D positional audio output, but the experiences are out there and becoming more popular. Audio will continue to be refined and reiterated.

I see the summit of audio future as 3D surround processed with personalized head/ear measurements, sent to wireless LIGHT AND COMFORTABLE headphones, but there isn't a product that combines all those known technologies yet. I demand it!

IIRC Realizer A16 has an optical out so You could just plug a Bluetooth transmitter into A16 to achieve exactly that.

Dec 25, 2016 at 7:04 AM Post #37,650 of 48,566
I'm not real familar with onboard motherboard audio... maybe someone else could chime in on that.

Personally if you can swing the creative X7 I would go that route. It retails for 400, but is often on sale for 270-300.

After writing the above I realized you might only be PC gaming, if this is the case it's possible there are better PC only sound cards/processors available. Sorry!

Do you think it will require an amp to run along with the ROG SupremeFX on-board audio?
Have you only used the HD800 for music or occasionally for gaming? How's the soundstage? I may add this to a 2018 upgrade list given all the raving reviews.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back