Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 21, 2016 at 9:53 PM Post #37,606 of 48,562
DDL (Dolby Digital Live) is what encodes (and decodes?) S/PDIF (optical/coaxial) digital audio, it is just one feature of Dolby Digital.

The X7 does not decode "Dolby Headphone", the Dolby feature (DDL) that comes with the X7 just decodes/un-compress the (encoded) digital audio to separate PCM audio streams (up to 6-channels).
Those six sparate channels can then be converted to to SBX Headphone surround sound on the X7.
So Creative does not licence Dolby Headphone from Dolby, as Creative Labs has their own SBX Headphone surround sound.
Astro licences (or use to licence) Dolby Headphone from Dolby.
Turtle Beach licences (or use to licence) Dolby Headphone from Dolby.

Along with posts from @Yethal in the X7 thread. This post perfectly answers what I needed to know. Thank you sir.

Just ordered the X7 as an upgrade to my Mixamp. Currently using HD558s but will be upgrading to some K712s to go with the X7 when it arrives.

Dec 21, 2016 at 9:54 PM Post #37,607 of 48,562

Did you ever hook your Astro into your X7? With my setup it would be difficult to do (Long optical cable across the room to a desk next to my chair). I'd have to find and rerun the Astro cable first.

Dec 21, 2016 at 9:57 PM Post #37,608 of 48,562
I guess I screwed up when I wrote decode and not encodes lol. But I see what you're saying. So technically there is no device that converts into Dolby hp and then is able to send the Dolby hp signal out via optical. However the x7 does accept the Dolby digital signal that the Xbox one puts out but converts it to their own headphone surround mode and is able to be sent out to an external dac via optical cable? How is the creative SBX headphone surround processing? Comparable or favorable to DH?

With a PC, you can get a sound card that can send Dolby Headphone out the optical port.
But I guess a gaming consoles can not create Dolby Headphone.
Might be some external sound cards, that work with gaming consoles, might output headphone surround sound, thru optical?
Some people prefer SBX Headphone, some prefer Dolby Headphone.

Dec 21, 2016 at 10:27 PM Post #37,610 of 48,562
  I never did, and actually ended up selling it a few weeks ago to a member on here.

I'll have to give it a try at some point. Right now I have my parents, their dog, plus my girlfriend and her son in the house, with our dog. I live in a small apartment in Philly so space is at a premium. My parents go back to Florida in early January. I am curious how the X7 can clean up the DH from the Astro. I have read that it is a pretty good improvement with other DACs, so maybe it will really help. Who knows, but I would have a better handle on what solution could work for others if the quality is improved to get them closer together. I'll update this thread when I can get some time. Ugh, the holidays are great, but my Parents are killing me right now. I have the Sparkos OP amps to install, and I have no idea when I will get the time to test the different setups with them. I am not a patient person, but I don't want to rush it since I believe I am the only person with an X7 and the SS3601s and SS3602s. I want to get a really good grasp of what the differences are with the SS3601 swap, which is where Yental and a couple others are. Then swap the SS3602s and see how much further it improves the sound. If I can get them in and out without issue, I'll test them with just the SS3602s. 

I really just want to do the entire swap and be done with it, but I realize that a $200 upgrade isn't something a lot of people can just do. So if I can help a few others out in the process, I will. 

Dec 22, 2016 at 6:31 AM Post #37,611 of 48,562
  I'll have to give it a try at some point. Right now I have my parents, their dog, plus my girlfriend and her son in the house, with our dog. I live in a small apartment in Philly so space is at a premium. My parents go back to Florida in early January. I am curious how the X7 can clean up the DH from the Astro. I have read that it is a pretty good improvement with other DACs, so maybe it will really help. Who knows, but I would have a better handle on what solution could work for others if the quality is improved to get them closer together. I'll update this thread when I can get some time. Ugh, the holidays are great, but my Parents are killing me right now. I have the Sparkos OP amps to install, and I have no idea when I will get the time to test the different setups with them. I am not a patient person, but I don't want to rush it since I believe I am the only person with an X7 and the SS3601s and SS3602s. I want to get a really good grasp of what the differences are with the SS3601 swap, which is where Yental and a couple others are. Then swap the SS3602s and see how much further it improves the sound. If I can get them in and out without issue, I'll test them with just the SS3602s. 

I really just want to do the entire swap and be done with it, but I realize that a $200 upgrade isn't something a lot of people can just do. So if I can help a few others out in the process, I will. 

Actually, @mbyrnes over at the X7 thread also has both the SS3601 and SS3602. It might be interesting to compare your impressions with his.

Dec 22, 2016 at 8:13 AM Post #37,612 of 48,562
In terms of pure sound quality, SBX sounds cleaner and more immersive. I think it does just as good of a job as DH or better for positioning without all the reverb. I tried going back to my mixamp after the X7 and I didn't like it. Sounded like my head was in a fishbowl. This was with the mixamp double amped with a O2 as well.

More immersive is highly debatable. I find DH much, much more immersive and better at accurate locating sound cues. I do agree on the reverb.

Dec 22, 2016 at 8:44 AM Post #37,613 of 48,562
X7 vs. Mixamp is unfair as the Mixamp's quality does not represent DH well enough. When I played with DH for a year or more it was via a STX and the difference to the mixamp was worlds apart.

Compare both on a similar dac/amp level and you have a better comparison. 

Dec 22, 2016 at 10:08 AM Post #37,614 of 48,562
Actually, @mbyrnes
over at the X7 thread also has both the SS3601 and SS3602. It might be interesting to compare your impressions with his.

Well I apparently have two accounts here, that's me as well. Logged in one account on my phone, the other on my computer. Didn't even realize it until you pointed it out.

Dec 22, 2016 at 11:14 AM Post #37,615 of 48,562
More immersive is highly debatable. I find DH much, much more immersive and better at accurate locating sound cues. I do agree on the reverb.

I'm just talking X7 vs Mixamp. The X7 just flat out sounds better than the Mixamp (even double amped), which, to me, provides a much better listening experience therefore being more immersive. The only other devices I've used with DH are a DGX and a DSS2. The DSS2 doesn't sound any better than the Mixamp to me, and it's been so long since I've used the DGX I couldn't tell you if it was any better. My experience going back and forth between the Mixamp and X7 just left me feeling like my head was in a muffled fish bowl with the Mixamp. I used to prefer DH until I did the back to back comparison between the two. I won't argue that locating sound cues is any worse on DH though.

@Fegefeuer
You make a good point. I still would like to try DH piped into an external DAC/Amp combo and see how it fares in comparison. 

Dec 22, 2016 at 12:01 PM Post #37,616 of 48,562
Well I apparently have two accounts here, that's me as well. Logged in one account on my phone, the other on my computer. Didn't even realize it until you pointed it out.

X7 vs. Mixamp is unfair as the Mixamp's quality does not represent DH well enough. When I played with DH for a year or more it was via a STX and the difference to the mixamp was worlds apart.

Compare both on a similar dac/amp level and you have a better comparison. 

DAC comparison might be difficult but amp comparison can be done using X7's line out set to 100% volume and Mixamp's stream out (appearently it carries the DH signal at line level).

Dec 22, 2016 at 3:46 PM Post #37,617 of 48,562
I've had the Asus Xonar Phoebus for about 2 years, I really didn't like DH much and preferred sonic studio.
I now have the X7 and SBX has been a step up for my personal taste.

Dec 22, 2016 at 5:13 PM Post #37,618 of 48,562
So I was originally going to settle with the Sound Blaster Z + ATH AD900X, but then I happened to find someone selling their AKG K7XX for a really good price. Now this throws a wrench in my original plans as from my understanding I do need an external amp to power this thing. Now the question I am wondering based on PurpleAngel's post is that I should be getting a Xonar DX + an external amp correct? And I suppose that this isn't the right sub / thread for this question, but what amps should I be looking at in the $100~ price range?

Dec 22, 2016 at 5:22 PM Post #37,619 of 48,562
  So I was originally going to settle with the Sound Blaster Z + ATH AD900X, but then I happened to find someone selling their AKG K7XX for a really good price. Now this throws a wrench in my original plans as from my understanding I do need an external amp to power this thing. Now the question I am wondering based on PurpleAngel's post is that I should be getting a Xonar DX + an external amp correct? And I suppose that this isn't the right sub / thread for this question, but what amps should I be looking at in the $100~ price range?

For use with the Xonar DX sound card.
Bravo Ocean tube (hybrid) headphone amplifier, $80.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back