Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Dec 9, 2016 at 8:39 PM Post #37,456 of 48,562

Fnatic just released a headset some days ago in collaboration with Aiaiai,   it's a TMA-2  with a mic.  
Fnatic Gear Duel TMA-2

Dec 10, 2016 at 2:03 AM Post #37,458 of 48,562
Fnatic just released a headset some days ago in collaboration with Aiaiai, it's a TMA-2  with a mic.  
Fnatic Gear Duel TMA-2

I don't know about you guys.
But I hear a headphone named something like "Fnatic Gear Duel TMA-2" and instantly I think

KOR EE DAAAAAAAAAAAH! MAH taaaaah!

KOOOR AAAAH! RAH TAH MAAAAAAAAAH!

Dec 10, 2016 at 10:35 AM Post #37,459 of 48,562
Reading this entire thread would not be feasible, so I hope someone can help me. I game on the PS4 and PC and play all kinds of games (RPGs, Civ, FPS). I am not concerned about competitiveness. My budget is around 300-600$. What would be the very best all-around headphone for this use? Is there any rough consensus to be gleaned from this thread?

Dec 10, 2016 at 11:35 AM Post #37,460 of 48,562
  Reading this entire thread would not be feasible, so I hope someone can help me. I game on the PS4 and PC and play all kinds of games (RPGs, Civ, FPS). I am not concerned about competitiveness. My budget is around 300-600$. What would be the very best all-around headphone for this use? Is there any rough consensus to be gleaned from this thread?

I really like my new Fnatic Gear Duel TMA-2,   works both for PS4 and PC,  and its modular so you can change parts quite easy.
It also comes with 2 different cables and 2 different earpads boths over-ear pleather style and on-ear pleather.  You could also add bluetooth later when Aiaiai releases it.

Dec 10, 2016 at 11:56 AM Post #37,461 of 48,562

I'd recommend reading the first page and then you will have an idea of what u are interested in and can ask more specific questions.

Dec 10, 2016 at 11:57 AM Post #37,462 of 48,562

Audio quality wise (clarity) Beyerdynamic T90.

Dec 10, 2016 at 5:47 PM Post #37,464 of 48,562

Snoochers,
As you may be able to tell, there isn't a simple "Best" headphone we all agree upon as a consensus as "all around Best."
A recommendation that does come up more often than the rest is the Massdrop store special AKG K7XX, or shop anywhere for an AKG K612. These cost between $130-200. Above that price range (and below the price of the HD800, MrSpeakers Ether), the headphones either have comfort issues (heavy, hot) or the sound is uneven and colored (HD700, Nighthawk).

With your remaining budget, I'd highly recommend a surround DSP/DAC/Amp piece of gear to improve your experience, I personally think the X7 is just about the best thing out there. Connects to PS4, PC, Bluetooth, smartphones, etc, and you can EQ to make the headphone flavored to taste, it's a great all in one. $299 regularly, but Creative has a coupon code for 30% off right now I believe.

Winner!!

Dec 10, 2016 at 5:52 PM Post #37,465 of 48,562
Snoochers,
As you may be able to tell, there isn't a simple "Best" headphone we all agree upon as a consensus as "all around Best."
A recommendation that does come up more often than the rest is the Massdrop store special AKG K7XX, or shop anywhere for an AKG K612. These cost between $130-200. Above that price range (and below the price of the HD800, MrSpeakers Ether), the headphones either have comfort issues (heavy, hot) or the sound is uneven and colored (HD700, Nighthawk).

With your remaining budget, I'd highly recommend a surround DSP/DAC/Amp piece of gear to improve your experience, I personally think the X7 is just about the best thing out there. Connects to PS4, PC, Bluetooth, smartphones, etc, and you can EQ to make the headphone flavored to taste, it's a great all in one. $299 regularly, but Creative has a coupon code for 30% off right now I believe.

Winner!!

Agree with this... X7 and a pair of K7xx's (or K712's if u like the color scheme and wanna throw a few extra bucks around)

Dec 10, 2016 at 10:48 PM Post #37,467 of 48,562
  Hard to beat that combo. I've actually been using my SHP9500's paired with the X7, while I'm playing through The Last Of Us and they sound pretty damn good for the price.

Been using SHP9500 + boompro for a while, I can confirm your confirmation. But i love my DT770 tho :D

Dec 12, 2016 at 8:09 AM Post #37,468 of 48,562
OK I have narrowed it down to the Hifiman HE-400i and the AKG 712 pro. My impression is that the HE-400i might be a better overall headphone (and also pricier) but that the AKG 712 is excellent for gaming in particular. Any reason to think that one of these would be more durable than the other? The AKGs are likely harder to drive which would complicated my PS4 setup (I don't have optical out), but might be doable. Anyone have tried both of these particular sets for gaming? 

Dec 12, 2016 at 9:47 AM Post #37,469 of 48,562
OK I have narrowed it down to the Hifiman HE-400i and the AKG 712 pro. My impression is that the HE-400i might be a better overall headphone (and also pricier) but that the AKG 712 is excellent for gaming in particular. Any reason to think that one of these would be more durable than the other? The AKGs are likely harder to drive which would complicated my PS4 setup (I don't have optical out), but might be doable. Anyone have tried both of these particular sets for gaming? 

You may want to check if your TV is able to output/pass thru 5.1 from its optical out. Usually Sony and Vizio do. If this it the case your have the option to hook up a mixamp/X7.

The 400i's are easier to drive than the AKG's but I would recommend an amp with them.

If you must choose something that can be used without an amp you may want to look into a Fidelio X1/2 or a HiFiMan he-400S .

Dec 12, 2016 at 9:50 AM Post #37,470 of 48,562

The HE-400i isn't particularly durable, and its stock cable kinda stinks. I've owned the K7XX, which is almost identical to the K712, but the latter might be made slightly better.

Also, the 400i is more difficult to drive than its 35 ohm output impedance would suggest.

I have a Turtle Beach Dss2 and an iBasso D14 you could stack that would do a nice job, if you want to pm me about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back