Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 9, 2016 at 2:06 AM Post #36,916 of 48,562
Tried them with music last weekend
Darker sounding than hd598 with much better bass extension. Soundstage seems the same though.

Interesting, I may grab a pair before Christmas to go with the JDS Labs Element I'm ordering :L3000:.

Nov 9, 2016 at 4:27 AM Post #36,917 of 48,562
Heard about the elections. Anybody here want to move to Poland?

Nov 9, 2016 at 8:05 AM Post #36,919 of 48,562
forget the G5 if you want SBX or VST. 

Nov 9, 2016 at 9:06 AM Post #36,921 of 48,562
Hey folks,

Took me days to choose headphones but ultimately came to these: http://www.modhouseaudio.com/argon/argon. I would be happy to make a noob review of them in this thread.

At first I will plug them in an amp then directly into my mobo. It has Audio boost 3 with Nahimic sound, USB Audio power 3 and access to DPC latency tuner (a software that MSI says it can reduce audio latency, except I have no clue how).

So I have a few questions that may be have been posted a thousand times here but really, as a technophobe, I'm exhausted with reading about audio stuff....
- strictly for gaming, would there be significative improvement from a DAC ? if yes, what is it?
- if one, what would be the easy solution to improve positionning in FPS (you've understood what I want to say) without at all messing the sound of the headphones?

TYVM for the kind person who can answer and for the contributors here.

Nov 9, 2016 at 9:23 AM Post #36,922 of 48,562
Anyone have any experience with the Astro M80 mix amp? It's the controller mounted unit. Astro has the.m on sale For 150 with a set of A40's today.

Funny enough we have one here at the office and yet none of us own an Xbox One, we own Playstations. Someday I'll try it, but until then it's going to sit in the corner all pretty in it's little package.

Nov 9, 2016 at 1:30 PM Post #36,923 of 48,562
I got my AKG K7XX and I am very pleased with the sound, I need amp now. What do you think about Sound BlasterX G5?

http://us.creative.com/p/sound-blaster/sound-blasterx-g5

Experience so far... :

PC integrated sound - SAD :frowning2:
Nexus 5X                  - SO&SO
iPhone 6s                  - OK
iPad Air                     - GOOD

Nov 9, 2016 at 1:37 PM Post #36,924 of 48,562
Has anyone here used the Hifiman HE-400s (the 400s - not the original 400) for gaming? I know planars aren't known for their sound stage, but I've heard these are pretty good in that regard. I also liked the 400i, and wanted to give these a shot.

Thanks!

Nov 9, 2016 at 2:04 PM Post #36,925 of 48,562
  Took me days to choose headphones but ultimately came to these: http://www.modhouseaudio.com/argon/argon. I would be happy to make a noob review of them in this thread.
At first I will plug them in an amp then directly into my mobo. It has Audio boost 3 with Nahimic sound, USB Audio power 3 and access to DPC latency tuner (a software that MSI says it can reduce audio latency, except I have no clue how).
So I have a few questions that may be have been posted a thousand times here but really, as a technophobe, I'm exhausted with reading about audio stuff....
- strictly for gaming, would there be significative improvement from a DAC ? if yes, what is it?
- if one, what would be the easy solution to improve positionning in FPS (you've understood what I want to say) without at all messing the sound of the headphones?
TYVM for the kind person who can answer and for the contributors here.

Might help to know the make and model of your Win PC's motherboard?

I like to push the Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z, it's a good lower costing option, for trying to improve over on-board audio.
If you do add an internal sound card to your PC, I usually recommend to disable the motherboard's on-board audio, in the BIOS first.

Nov 9, 2016 at 3:02 PM Post #36,926 of 48,562

Might help to know the make and model of your Win PC's motherboard?

I like to push the Creative Labs Sound Blaster Z, it's a good lower costing option, for trying to improve over on-board audio.
If you do add an internal sound card to your PC, I usually recommend to disable the motherboard's on-board audio, in the BIOS first.

I have a MSI Z170I gaming pro AC, it's an ITX mobo so there's no slot for an internal sound card but I see this brand doing external solutions. Are they better than a classic DAC for gaming?

Nov 9, 2016 at 3:31 PM Post #36,928 of 48,562
Also, I believe the Sound Blaster G5 will give you virtual surround on PC, but will be stereo on console. I don't have any experience with it, but that could be another option. Also the Recon3D is another option. There's a few options when it comes to external virtual surround, along with a large variance in price. All depends on what virtual surround software you prefer and how much money you're willing to spend.

Nov 9, 2016 at 3:34 PM Post #36,929 of 48,562

I have a MSI Z170I gaming pro AC, it's an ITX mobo so there's no slot for an internal sound card but I see this brand doing external solutions. Are they better than a classic DAC for gaming?

An external optical DAC (or DAC/amp) connected to your motherboard's on-board audio (optical port), will not improve FPS gaming (headphone surround sound).
improve audio quality...sure, but not gaming.

A USB DAC (or DAC/amp) will bypass sound card features.

A USB sound card, will come with it's own headphone surround sound function.

Nov 9, 2016 at 4:36 PM Post #36,930 of 48,562
I just ordered an X7  
smile_phones.gif
 My 2013 Mixamp showed up today as well. All I need now is the AD700x, and I'll have a nice back to back comparison of the two.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back