Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Nov 8, 2016 at 11:47 AM Post #36,901 of 48,566
  I had the X7 Limited Edition at home for about a week and I thought it was a nice little system. I ran into a few bugs but they weren't horrible. The most common one was that it would enable mic monitoring every time the computer woke from sleep. Thankfully I was able to disable that quickly in the software each time. In the end I brought it back to the office because it belongs to Head-Fi and not me but I wouldn't have minded keeping it around. That said I still love sending Dolby Headphone processed sound from my PC's audio card to an external DAC. I don't see myself moving away from that any time soon.

I think if I didn't have my two consoles that would be the best solution for me. A Schiit stack with a either Xonar DGX or Xonar U3 to send Dolby Headphone out the optical into the Modi Uber. When you throw in an Xbox One and PS4, the wires and devices start to multiply, considering I would need an additional device (Mixamp, DSS, Extigy, etc.) for the console side of things. The X7 would get rid of a lot of that clutter.

Nov 8, 2016 at 12:07 PM Post #36,902 of 48,566
I think if I didn't have my two consoles that would be the best solution for me. A Schiit stack with a either Xonar DGX or Xonar U3 to send Dolby Headphone out the optical into the Modi Uber. When you throw in an Xbox One and PS4, the wires and devices start to multiply, considering I would need an additional device (Mixamp, DSS, Extigy, etc.) for the console side of things. The X7 would get rid of a lot of that clutter.

That's what I just did actually. I picked up a magni but was getting some interference and buzzing (though I think it may have actually been an issue with my hyperx cloud instead of the magni). But I said screw it and ordered a modi uber and will be doing both optical and USB. Optical for gaming so I can keep Dolby headphone processing and USB will be for listening to music so I won't have to change sound settings, I can instead just set foobar to use USB straight to the DAC and just swap inputs on the modi. That was in don't have to worry about a new soundcard and figuring out a new virtual surround setup considering I like Dolby headphone a lot. Get to keep my old xonar d1 this way and give it some new life with the schitt stack.

The hyperx clouds have been temporarily retired and my Sennheiser hd555 have been brought out of retirement (with help of some super glue) with the addition of a modmic while I wait for my Sennheiser hd6XX's to arrive (was lucky to get in apparently)

Nov 8, 2016 at 12:34 PM Post #36,903 of 48,566
That's what I just did actually. I picked up a magni but was getting some interference and buzzing (though I think it may have actually been an issue with my hyperx cloud instead of the magni). But I said screw it and ordered a modi uber and will be doing both optical and USB. Optical for gaming so I can keep Dolby headphone processing and USB will be for listening to music so I won't have to change sound settings, I can instead just set foobar to use USB straight to the DAC and just swap inputs on the modi. That was in don't have to worry about a new soundcard and figuring out a new virtual surround setup considering I like Dolby headphone a lot. Get to keep my old xonar d1 this way and give it some new life with the schitt stack.

The hyperx clouds have been temporarily retired and my Sennheiser hd555 have been brought out of retirement (with help of some super glue) with the addition of a modmic while I wait for my Sennheiser hd6XX's to arrive (was lucky to get in apparently)

I think that's the best solution for PC if you prefer Dolby over SBX/THX/CMSS-3D

Lucky you on the 6XX. I woke up at 6 with no luck. Probably going to buy a pair of 598 SE and maybe AD700x to try out instead. I had a pair of AD700's awhile back paired with a Mixamp and I still think those were the best in terms of positional accuracy for FPS games.

Nov 8, 2016 at 12:59 PM Post #36,904 of 48,566
  I think that's the best solution for PC if you prefer Dolby over SBX/THX/CMSS-3D

Lucky you on the 6XX. I woke up at 6 with no luck. Probably going to buy a pair of 598 SE and maybe AD700x to try out instead. I had a pair of AD700's awhile back paired with a Mixamp and I still think those were the best in terms of positional accuracy for FPS games.

I have been using Dolby Headphone for a number of years so I am quite used to it and I can pick up the positional cues quite easily. It works for me and I really get an actual sense of surround sound from stereo headphones. I originally didn't pick up the modi as well because I assumed the DAC from the xonar would be acceptable, but I also wasnt sure if I could still use the dolby headphone processing with an external DAC.

With the HyperX Cloud's and the magni, I started hearing buzzing. When I opened battlefield, there would just be a constant buzzing in the background, and I could hear some of kind of light interference simply by moving my mouse over certain areas of the screen.

I am not sure if this is just inteference the sound card DAC is picking up from the PC, or if it had something to do directly with my HyperX Clouds. But I figured having a higher quality external dac (the modi) at the very least wouldnt hurt anything and at best could improve sound quality. I did switch over to my sennheiser hd555's that have been sitting in storage for a year or two since the housings started to crack and fall apart. But plugging them in, I didn't hear the buzzing anymore. But the modi is still on the way, and I am pretty sure it will be a good purchase regardless.

And yes, I do feel like I lucked out with the HD6XX's. That whole thing seemed like such a major screw up. So the fact that my order was in a few minutes after it opened with no other issues just seems like I really lucked out. I am looking forward to them because I think fondly of my 555's since they were my first "real" pair of headphones and they still sound quite good to my ear after playing with them a bit this morning.

Nov 8, 2016 at 1:35 PM Post #36,905 of 48,566
Same here. Before I really got into PC gaming I used the Astro Mixamp on Xbox 360 (mostly for COD), and always felt I had an edge when it came to positional cues. When I built my PC I went with a Xonar DGX, and was extremely happy with it. I always like trying new things though, so I replaced the DGX with an X-Fi Titanium HD/Magni/K7XX. Since then I've never really been completely satisfied with the CMSS-3D in comparison. My friend is sending me my old DGX this week, so I will be able to test the both back to back. When I still had the DGX I was using a pair of Razer Orcas/Steel Series Siberias with a custom mod mic. I'm curious to see how it sounds with the K7XX, but I'm thinking I might get some feedback without a proper DAC like you mentioned in your experience. We will see.

With the release of Modern Warfare Remastered last weekend I decided to try out my K7XX for console gaming, and I switched back and forth between them an my HyperX Clouds. I also went back and forth between my DSS2 and Creative Extigy. Both were being double amped through my O2. For a closed back "gaming" headset the HyperX clouds do alright, but it's immediately apparent how much bigger the sound stage is with the K7XX. After switching back and forth between the two I decided to just use the K7XX. I felt like the DSS2 had better positional cues once I got the EQ and surround angles set correctly, but I was only getting chat out of one ear, and if I set chat to come out of speakers throguh the Xbox settings it was extremely loud, and there's no way to turn voice chat down without turning down game volume as well. This was annoying so I switched back to the Extigy. Overall the CMSS on the Extigy sounds better, but I don't think it performs better. I was constantly getting shot in the back, and not being able to tell direction of gunshots/footsteps. It was almost like the sound stage was too large. Gun shots are almost soft, and hard to tell the direction they're coming from. So, in short, I think the Extigy has better sound, but not better positional cues and accuracy in comparison to the DSS2. I ordered an Astro Mixamp Pro 2013 edition over the weekend, which should be here in the next day or so. I'll test that out along with the DGX on PC and make a conclusion. Still think I'll pick up an X7 to test so I can cover all my bases. 

On the 6XX..I didn't even want them for gaming sine there are better options out there, but it would have been nice for listening to music. I guess it saves me $200..for now.

Nov 8, 2016 at 4:16 PM Post #36,906 of 48,566
I have never been super competitive, but I do get into it a lot when I play. And im not big on consoles and the few times I have had consoles, they have always been hooked up to my surround system. The headphone world/hobby is a new one for me, so I am still trying to figure things out. I picked up the HD555 a long time ago and it was the only one I owned for quite some time until I switched to the hyperx cloud mainly because the HD555's started falling apart and because I wanted something with an integrated headset.

Lately I have been more interested in IEM's and worked my way up to the low end of mid tier with the Mee Pinnacle P1's and a Fiio e17k dac/amp. So when I saw the massdrop for the HD6XX's it looked like the perfect opportunity to get a nice pair of over ears for my desktop setup. Which led me to also getting the schitt stack. The 6XX's might not be the best for super competitive gaming, but as long as they are as good or better than the clouds (which I imagine they absolutely would be) then its not an issue for me, and I am more interested in having a nice sort of do it all pair. Good enough for gaming, but also good for music. So I am glad I got in on the drop, though.

In the meantime, I am interested to see how I feel about the HD555's with the modmic vs the clouds. They were my goto pair for a long time, but I havent picked them up since I got the clouds. Will be interesting to see how I feel about gaming with them, and especially how they sound now with the amp (and tomorrow with the new DAC).

Is it natural though to be hearing feedback or buzzing from the magni on one pair of headphones but not on another? It also seemed to be worse when I had the magni resting on top of my computer vs now, its elevated up a bit on my desk.

Nov 8, 2016 at 5:12 PM Post #36,907 of 48,566
I'm curious to see what you think about that combo once it's all setup. I'll be trying my DGX sans modi. Maybe the different cables/connectors has something to do with it, or differences in impedance? I'm no expert so I'll let someone more knowledgeable answer that one.

Sounds like there's still hope for people who tried to get in the drop early for the 6XX. Apparently random people were being denied at the checkout process. Here's to hoping I still have a chance!

Nov 8, 2016 at 5:57 PM Post #36,908 of 48,566
Truthfully, I am not sure how much of a difference I personally will be able to tell between the onboard dac of the xonar d1 vs the modi on either my 555's or the clouds. I am pretty new to all this so unless I do some a/b testing, I really am not sure how much of a difference I will be able to tell.

The magni on the other hand has definitely been nice. Though I haven't listened to the 555's in like two years, so I can't really compare amped vs unamped. The clouds sounded nicer, but the magni also introduced that buzzing and interference (or much more likely, amplified it from the soundcard and made it audible... though still weird that I don't hear it on the senns and dont remember hearing it day 1 with the clouds either... I really am racking my brain as to why). The magni's sound really great though paired with my favorite IEM's, the Mee Pinnacle P1's. They really round the sound out nicely and I am liking the bass response (my on slight negative on them) much better now with the magni than out of my phone or even the fiio e17k. Though I think with these, the modi might just clean the sound up that little extra bit.

The modi arrives tomorrow, so I will be able to give it a go tomorrow evening. Hopefully I got all the cables I need and didnt overlook anything.

And yes, for the 6XX I think read that their plan was to cancel out all the duplicates, then go back to those who they have a record of trying to join the drop first but were unable to and start adding them in. So I think if you got to the point where you were able to click join, especially if it was early on, you might in luck. Of course, I don't know if thats official or not.

Nov 8, 2016 at 6:02 PM Post #36,909 of 48,566
On a side note, I just ordered some AD700x's. Hopefully paired with the Astro Mixamp they do as good of a job at sound whoring as I remember with the older AD700's. I think I'll skip the HD598 SE's for now, and put the money saved towards an X7. The AD700x should do a better job anyways for competitive FPS. I have the 7XX for general everyday usage anyways. I should really wait to go down this sound whoring vortex closer to Black Friday or Cyber Monday..oh well.
atsmile.gif

That's what it sounded like from what I was reading on the discussion board earlier. Alex from MD stated that he should have a resolution for it all by the end of the day. Probably about the same time we find out who the next president is going to be. 
blink.gif

Nov 8, 2016 at 7:18 PM Post #36,911 of 48,566
Anyone tried the HD 599 for games yet?

Nov 8, 2016 at 10:46 PM Post #36,915 of 48,566
Anyone tried the HD 599 for games yet?

Tried them with music last weekend
Darker sounding than hd598 with much better bass extension. Soundstage seems the same though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back