Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Aug 11, 2016 at 11:18 PM Post #36,181 of 48,566
Quick question guys,
I'm on the fence now, I previously owned Q701 and that was a godly headphone, too bad after 2 years i had to let it got for cash reasons at that time.

Now, I'm thinking of getting a new set of headphones, but more towards budget ones, or maybe i will wait for something for end of the year.
My choices right now:
-Ath M40x
-Takstar pro 80
-Siberia 350 (I know its ****, i put it there for gaming purposes only)

Or

I wait till end of the year to get myself a:
-Senn HD 598 SE
-AKG Q701 (hate the bumps like crazy)

Or you guys have any other thoughts?

For mic i will be getting either Takstar's clip on or Zalman but Zalman is kinda out of stock as of right now. Modmic is still an option tho (i can ask my bud to get it for me).
Note: i only use em for gaming and listening to some songs (genre: rock, metal, edm, rap, hiphop. i prefer a kinda flat and large soundstage like q701 if possible).

The SHP9500 is as good as it gets for a budget headphone. I'm leaning towards getting another one myself if I don't find what I'm looking for.

Aug 11, 2016 at 11:33 PM Post #36,182 of 48,566
The SHP9500 is as good as it gets for a budget headphone. I'm leaning towards getting another one myself if I don't find what I'm looking for.

Hmmmm..
My country (Indonesia) is kinda limited on Philips line. I might have to look for this in specific retails. thanks tho.

Any more inputs? Tbh im kinda leaning on M40x right now (if i have to purchase now), or i can wait and save more cash and get something better. im also confused myself on what to get cos there are too much freedom (more freedom than Murica hahaha jk) in picking :S

EDIT: SHP9500 pricing here is more or less like ATH M50x. I found few selling at that price.

Aug 12, 2016 at 2:18 AM Post #36,183 of 48,566
Quick question guys,
I'm on the fence now, I previously owned Q701 and that was a godly headphone, too bad after 2 years i had to let it go for cash reasons at that time.

Now, I'm thinking of getting a new set of headphones, but more towards budget ones, or maybe i will wait for something for end of the year.
My choices right now:
-Ath M40x
-Takstar pro 80

Or

-Senn HD 598 SE

For mic i will be getting either Takstar's clip on or Zalman but Zalman is kinda out of stock as of right now. Modmic is still an option tho (i can ask my bud to get it for me).
Note: i only use em for gaming and listening to some songs (genre: rock, metal, edm, rap, hiphop. i prefer a kinda flat and large soundstage like q701 if possible).

Superlux 668b and Samson sr850 are budget kings.

Aug 12, 2016 at 2:27 AM Post #36,184 of 48,566
Superlux 668b and Samson sr850 are budget kings.

Thanks for the reply.

I think i can stretch my budget a little bit. Those come in around 60-70 USD here. Whereas the ATH M40x is at 100 USD. The Senn HD598 is 250USD here (just for a benchmark, if im gonna order these, it would be from amazon).

Come to think of it, it will boil down to ATH M40x or Senn HD558. I will get modmic too. Any thoughts?

Aug 12, 2016 at 4:25 AM Post #36,185 of 48,566
Thanks for the reply.

I think i can stretch my budget a little bit. Those come in around 60-70 USD here. Whereas the ATH M40x is at 100 USD. The Senn HD598 is 250USD here (just for a benchmark, if im gonna order these, it would be from amazon).

Come to think of it, it will boil down to ATH M40x or Senn HD558. I will get modmic too. Any thoughts?

I had 598 paired with the modmic. Buy the boompro with a 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter it's more convenient.

Aug 12, 2016 at 4:38 AM Post #36,186 of 48,566
Hey guys,

I recently aquired an Astro MixAmp TR and - after what I believed to be enough deliberation (and lurking in this thread) a pair of Philips Fidelio X2's (on their way from another headfier) plus a V-Moda BoomPro for the much needed verbal abuse of my opponents. This is for gaming on the PS4 btw.

However, after  some more reading I noticed that the X2's have angled drivers and now I'm kinda worried that this could pose a problem for the MixAmp's virtual surround..? Does anyone have any experience with this combo? 

Thanks, Emiel 

Aug 12, 2016 at 10:11 AM Post #36,188 of 48,566
I had 598 paired with the modmic. Buy the boompro with a 2.5mm to 3.5mm adapter it's more convenient.

Aye captain! thank you very much.
I will do that! :D

Aug 12, 2016 at 10:25 AM Post #36,189 of 48,566

Aye captain! thank you very much.
I will do that! :D

You need this adapter:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-5-mm-Male-to-3-5-mm-Female-Stereo-Audio-Headphone-Adapter-Converter-Jack-Plug-/191785514660?hash=item2ca74eb6a4:g:dqMAAOSwuTxWCgz3

Whole setup looks like this:

Aug 12, 2016 at 5:32 PM Post #36,190 of 48,566
Quick question guys,
I'm on the fence now, I previously owned Q701 and that was a godly headphone, too bad after 2 years i had to let it go for cash reasons at that time.

My choices right now:
-Ath M40x
-Takstar pro 80

Or

-Senn HD 598 SE

None of the above. K7XX.

Edit: AD900x for a more budget option.

Aug 12, 2016 at 11:01 PM Post #36,191 of 48,566
  Snip

Yeah i was thinking something like, will get it by end of the month from amazon. Thanks dude :D

I was planning on getting that, but the massdrop timer went off. So no K7XX for me :frowning2:
But i think will stick to Yethal cos im just using it without an amp and might get one later on after i build another pc for myself.
Thanks for the suggestion tho.

Aug 13, 2016 at 12:09 AM Post #36,192 of 48,566

Yeah i was thinking something like, will get it by end of the month from amazon. Thanks dude :D

I was planning on getting that, but the massdrop timer went off. So no K7XX for me :frowning2:
But i think will stick to Yethal cos im just using it without an amp and might get one later on after i build another pc for myself.
Thanks for the suggestion tho.

W/o amp, AD900x would be better choice than HD 598

Aug 13, 2016 at 12:11 AM Post #36,193 of 48,566
My choices right now:
-Ath M40x
-Takstar pro 80

Or

-Senn HD 598 SE

Well, ask 5 people, get 5 answers.

One of my buddies got an SPH9500, and I got to spend like an hour or two with it. I would agree it's a pretty solid value headphone – balanced tone (maybe a little extra treble energy, not too much IMO), comfy, no glaring flaws, discounted US price – but it doesn't quite have that "special" quality that gives me shivers down my spine. Basically great for gaming.

The Massdrop AKG K7XX is like the Q701 you remember with non-angled pads, no headband bumps, slightly less soundstage width and a bit more sub bass (which gets stronger as the pads and drivers get wear). Oh, and it's like $200 USD, which is a screamingly good deal. Personally, I tried out and ended up loving the even less expensive AKG K612... Also no headband bumps and flat pads, but it has the flattest/most balanced AKG sound signature I've heard yet. Costs only around $150-$140 USD, quite a value... but an android smartphone will not power it enough. Like, it's fine from an iPhone or iPad (had fun with my iPad Mini and the sound from the app Vain Glory), but I tried it on a Samsung and a Motorola and the bass gets sucked out and the volume needs to be turned up higher. It was ok with the Mixamp 5.8, actually dampened the background hiss a bit. Surprisingly impressive when connected to a badass amp.

I've always wanted to try a Sennheiser HD558... But always had something else to budget for. I didn't have a use for buying one when I had a Q701, then K712, or my K612. Now that I've finally saved for an HD800, I don't really need any other headphone except for maybe something portable to take to work and wear on lunch breaks. Anyway, the HD558 wasn't a path I took, but it's well-regarded.

Liked the AD700 (first full-sized headphone, selected for what people regarded as the best "out of your head" experience), never got to try the AD900(x). Another vague curiousity.

Overall philosophy: don't overextend your budget so later you have to sell off your stuff at a loss, but don't mess around too much with stuff that's only halfway towards something you really want, because you'll just be delaying the goal of that "thing you really want." If you need something now and hope to pick up a $200 headphone at the end of the year or something $500 next year, then just get a Koss KSC75 clip-on for now and something amazing later.

Aug 13, 2016 at 3:06 AM Post #36,194 of 48,566
I find the K7XX more balanced overall. Especially in the lower treble. Not that it isn't great. I certainly dug it but at 50$ more the K7XX is better overall. IMO :3

Aug 13, 2016 at 5:48 AM Post #36,195 of 48,566

I dont like those type of headbands hence i skipped a few models eventho they sound better than some of the suggestions :D

Back then i was still in uni and something important came up so i had to get rid of something for cash.
Now that im working, this item will be permanent.
I do love the Q701, AKG 7xx (ended) would have been my second choice a few months ago.
I heard good things about K612 pro but i will only use it for pc mostly (so i think i need an amp), i dont use console and i hit the gym with apple in ears nothing fancy here.

Most probably i will stick somewhere in Senn 558 + V moda mic/Antlion modmic, until a good deal present themselves to me :D

But but but i cannot get them anymore from massdrop T.T
Wanted to but kinda too late, oh well, imma go for 558 for the meantime until i get a good deal. :D

Note: Thanks for all the suggestions guys, appreciate it a lot!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back