Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jul 13, 2016 at 1:15 AM Post #35,911 of 48,562
Ok so this is a follow up to my previous post whereby i bought the Astro Mixamp 2011 version:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-3-18-2016-mrspeakers-ether-c-1-1-added/35790#post_12689604

The mixamp arrived today ahead of schedule. Almost like 2 weeks early to Sydney, Australia:)

I tested it and it's brilliant. I could not hear any hiss from the volume levels i checked. I didn't go too high as i didn't want to damage my hearing :p 
I would say i went to around 60% volume by turning the volume knob towards 2pm. However i will test higher volumes later on.

Also i compared this to my Turtle Beach DSS and seriously couldn't tell a difference in game audio. They sound the same to me. However i bought this for the chat feature which the original DSS lacks.

I plugged a modmic 4.0 into the mixamp with an adapter and people heard me fine without any distortion or muffled voice. I could hear people fine as well.

All in all well worth the money. I don't know how the 2013 Mixamps and onwards work as i have never tested it but this one is pretty good as well.

Also a nice feature the 2011 mixamp has is the ability to connect multiple devices to it since it as optical, coaxial and standard RCA inputs.

I have posted a photo below showing the 2011 mixamp and if your interested you can purchase it from ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281815550100?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&rmvSB=true

Jul 13, 2016 at 1:51 PM Post #35,912 of 48,562
Mad, did you see those ebony TH-X00s? Soon as I saw the black I thought of how you love black stealthy headphones (TH-600).

Jul 14, 2016 at 12:48 AM Post #35,915 of 48,562
Oh gawd....now I really want that Fostex TH-X00 in Ebony. Ugh, just when I bought a 980 Ti FTW.....

Isn't it also costing $100 more though than the other TH-X00 and only 1k will be made?

spending 500 dollars on a pair of headphones is kind of hard to consider, although I have spend about 1k in headphones alone already lol. Need to sell some to get a pair...

Jul 14, 2016 at 11:58 AM Post #35,919 of 48,562
I like how you can still see the wood grain, subtly, in the ebony cups. Part of me wants to buy it just because it's limited edition and will probably rise in value, but I'm already more than enough of a collector!

What I SHOULD do is just buy XL pads for the M-100 so I could actually use them!

Jul 14, 2016 at 5:36 PM Post #35,920 of 48,562
Hi guys new to head-fi.... Need help.... I read the 1St page of envys guide which was really amazing thanks for the info you shared!.

I bought a headset (Pdp afterglow agu.1s) absolutely terrible it felt like my head was bieng crushed it had no adjustable sides although the pads weren't as bad. I immediately returned them and lost out on the return postage cost!.
I have now ordered tritton 720+ 7.1 headset which I got from eBay for £35($46) Inc postage! Have I made a mistake? Btw I only care bout one thing and that is hearing enemy footsteps im not bothered about anything else.

Another thing is compatibility with the ps4.will the "audiophile" headphones e.g. Audio-Technica AD700 not gaming ones have 7.1 surround sound?

Thanks and sorry if my question is dumb im new to this and have almost no knowledge when i5 comes to audio

Jul 14, 2016 at 9:48 PM Post #35,921 of 48,562
Hi guys new to head-fi.... Need help.... I read the 1St page of envys guide which was really amazing thanks for the info you shared!.

I bought a headset (Pdp afterglow agu.1s) absolutely terrible it felt like my head was bieng crushed it had no adjustable sides although the pads weren't as bad. I immediately returned them and lost out on the return postage cost!.
I have now ordered tritton 720+ 7.1 headset which I got from eBay for £35($46) Inc postage! Have I made a mistake? Btw I only care bout one thing and that is hearing enemy footsteps im not bothered about anything else.

Another thing is compatibility with the ps4.will the "audiophile" headphones e.g. Audio-Technica AD700 not gaming ones have 7.1 surround sound?

Thanks and sorry if my question is dumb im new to this and have almost no knowledge when i5 comes to audio

I've personally not tried the Tritton, so cannot help you there.

Any stereo headphone can do virtual surround provided you have a processor that is capable of it (some soundcards, some AV receivers and devices like the Astro Mixamp, Turtle Beach DSS/TAC and the unit that comes with certain headsets like the one provided with the Tritton 720+). The one caveat to that statement is that some headphones are hard to drive, so you will need to make sure the virtual surround device is capable of driving the headphones that you wish to use with it or use an amplifier after the virtual surround device (though not all devices feature a line output, meaning you'd have to double amp which isn't ideal).

Jul 15, 2016 at 1:49 AM Post #35,922 of 48,562

First of all, MLE's guide doesn't really cover Gaming Headsets for many obvious reasons. There are a few exceptions but other than that, its mostly about headphones. So as to using a headphone like Audio Technica AD700, you will also need a device that does Virtual surround sound. Such examples are Astro Mix Amp Pro , Creative Labs Recon3D, Creative Labs X7, etc. These will work with the PS4. So if all you want is to hear enemy footsteps.....in other words, doing competitive gaming, the AD700 as well as the AKG Q701, AKG K701 or K702 and even the Sennheiser HD598 are great alternatives for competitive gaming.

Jul 15, 2016 at 7:47 AM Post #35,924 of 48,562
Mad, did you see those ebony TH-X00s? Soon as I saw the black I thought of how you love black stealthy headphones (TH-600).

Just saw them. Definitely hnnnnnng worthy.

I'm still on my trusty HE400.

Just beat Star Ocean: Integrity and Faithlessness a few days ago, waiting on I Am Setsuna next week.

I didn't get to finish Jotun, so probably will work on finishing... or at least progressing further this Monday. It's an incredibly easy game to play in terms of controls, so if I don't finish before I Am Setsuna releases on Tuesday, it'll be a while before I continue again. :D

Jul 15, 2016 at 7:56 AM Post #35,925 of 48,562
I wonder if those HE-400 drivers can be removed and placed inside one of the new HE-350 frames? Some personal tweaking applied and you might have the gem you've been dying for Hifiman to release.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back