Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
May 25, 2016 at 12:21 PM Post #35,446 of 48,566
  yes, it's in the "etc etc" list

Gonna sell a few devices then probably take a TAC for the team. Let me sell first though. I kinda doubt that device to be at E5/g5 level in fidelity though. :[

Don't buy it. Ask Turtle Beach for a review sample instead or wait for Evshrug to do so.

May 25, 2016 at 7:12 PM Post #35,448 of 48,566
i dont want the headphone just the tac controller. but theres not a single review.

wanna see how it compares to my astro tr.

and how it behaves in consoles in the chat segment,hate to have cables on controller

There's not a single review because it hasn't been released yet.

May 25, 2016 at 7:23 PM Post #35,449 of 48,566

I see you have an HD800 as your avatar pic. Have you tried it?
I believe I just said this earlier, but again, it maxes out pretty much every quality that benefits gaming, besides a microphone. Comfort, positional imaging, detail, immersive realism, every frequency is well-represented with great finesse, and doesn't trap too much heat. I also find it to be really engaging and fun, because of the attack and impact Fegefeur mentioned. All the padding and cabling can be replaced if worn out, even the headband. It would sound awful if you powered it through the DualShock 4 controller, but given a good setup that includes gear selected with care, the HD800 will easily be a great endgame experience.

That doesn't take away the fact that it's not for everyone. Have a smaller budget or in an environment like College where stuff gets damaged or stolen? No, don't get a headphone this expensive! The HD800 also doesn't suit a situation where someone might need a closed headphone for isolation or privacy, nor is it suited for portable use. Making it even semi-wireless would be quite an uphill battle. And some people just have a taste for a different headphone with a V-shaped frequency.

Through college, I had an Audio Technica ATH-AD700, which was great. My senior year, I got a Q701, which I also kept for three years, but to others in college or new to headphones I would also recommend an AKG K612 or K7XX. I also tried several other headphones, enjoyed the experience and I wouldn't take away from that. Now, I'm glad I have the HD800, but I'm also 5 years out of college and I learned what I like in headphones, with a pretty stable job, I got a tax refund, and the HD800 showed up on a really good sale price. I needed all those pieces in place before I made the jump.

Consoles and audio quality have definitely improved, I would say even the 360/PS3 generation had great sound which can be discovered, but beyond just new little details I also just find that it's worth it to find a comfortable physical and sonic presentation.

If u had to choose between beyer 770/880/990, audio techica ath-ad700/ad900, akg k701/k702, akg q701, akg k712, and sennheiser 598/600/650, which would be best for fps games and decent for music movies ? looking to get something around 300-500, hd800/800s i would be looking to get it later down the line since the price is too high for now

May 25, 2016 at 7:38 PM Post #35,450 of 48,566
Oh I agree, jumping to the HD800 right from the start is too much to justify.

I haven't tried every headphone, and someday I'd like to try an AD900, HD558, HD598, but honestly I would recommend an AKG K612 or K7XX (unless you like the color of the K712). The AKGs truly sound like they should cost $300-$400. They're also lightweight, don't clamp on your head too hard, have comfy velour pads (the K7XX and K712 slightly better in that), have great detail and sense of space while (IMO) don't sound too distant to be boring, and IMO just do a great job of balancing between the sounds of the Beyer and Sennheisers.

May 25, 2016 at 11:13 PM Post #35,451 of 48,566
Oh I agree, jumping to the HD800 right from the start is too much to justify.

I haven't tried every headphone, and someday I'd like to try an AD900, HD558, HD598, but honestly I would recommend an AKG K612 or K7XX (unless you like the color of the K712). The AKGs truly sound like they should cost $300-$400. They're also lightweight, don't clamp on your head too hard, have comfy velour pads (the K7XX and K712 slightly better in that), have great detail and sense of space while (IMO) don't sound too distant to be boring, and IMO just do a great job of balancing between the sounds of the Beyer and Sennheisers.

This right here.....and thats mainly because I own an HD598 and K7XX. Love them both along with my X2 which is my all arounder most of the time.

May 26, 2016 at 12:51 AM Post #35,452 of 48,566
If u had to choose between beyer 770/880/990, audio techica ath-ad700/ad900, akg k701/k702, akg q701, akg k712, and sennheiser 598/600/650, which would be best for fps games and decent for music movies ? looking to get something around 300-500, hd800/800s i would be looking to get it later down the line since the price is too high for now

I've owned the 770, 880, 990, K701, K7XX, HD598 and HD650. I've also heard the HD600 at length. I'd take the Philips Fidelio X1 or X2 over all of them.

May 26, 2016 at 2:33 AM Post #35,453 of 48,566

You're looking for a general-use sort of headphone - I'd recommend either senn 600 or ATH AD 700.

May 26, 2016 at 3:49 AM Post #35,454 of 48,566
Well, I was able to contact Chan at E-MU and pulled the trigger on the Walnut. @Evshrug, would you be interested in comparing them to the CAL!2, one day? If someone can also send the original CAL! you can write a shootout review, if you are up to it. Would be interesting and very helpful for everyone looking for a closed can under $100.

May 26, 2016 at 6:55 AM Post #35,455 of 48,566
  Well, I was able to contact Chan at E-MU and pulled the trigger on the Walnut. @Evshrug, would you be interested in comparing them to the CAL!2, one day? If someone can also send the original CAL! you can write a shootout review, if you are up to it. Would be interesting and very helpful for everyone looking for a closed can under $100.

Spent a few moments with the E-MU headphones at Canlanta. Brief thoughts were that the Teak has way too much bass, the Walnut is too small for me to consider owning, and the wood cups are stunning.

May 26, 2016 at 7:11 AM Post #35,456 of 48,566
The small size of the CAL/Walnut is what makes them ideal for what I'm looking for.

Wow, I really like those full size matte walnut cups. That finish is what sold me on the lighteight E-MUs rather than the CAL. I figured the better cup housing quality would be worth it, both cosmetically and sound wise (or at least hope so).

It will be sad saying goodbye to the 9500. I may just throw them in the closet rather than sell or pass them along. Too good at such a cheap price just let them go.

May 26, 2016 at 8:20 AM Post #35,457 of 48,566
The small size of the CAL/Walnut is what makes them ideal for what I'm looking for.

Wow, I really like those full size matte walnut cups. That finish is what sold me on the lighteight E-MUs rather than the CAL. I figured the better cup housing quality would be worth it, both cosmetically and sound wise (or at least hope so).

It will be sad saying goodbye to the 9500. I may just throw them in the closet rather than sell or pass them along. Too good at such a cheap price just let them go.

Oh I was the totally going to sell u my CAL's! :grin:
K, just kidding!

If Evshrug does a comparison I'd gladly send my CAL's to him.

May 26, 2016 at 10:37 AM Post #35,458 of 48,566
You're looking for a general-use sort of headphone - I'd recommend either senn 600 or ATH AD 700.

AD700 general use, what? Nu-n-n-n-n-no, the AD700 is amazing because it is so specialized and puts all its powers of goodness into soundstage and imaging, but you'll find yourself bored trying to listen to music for longer lengths of time. Unless you're a treble-head, which I guess I was for awhile... But I found myself wanting more.

Well, I was able to contact Chan at E-MU and pulled the trigger on the Walnut. @Evshrug
, would you be interested in comparing them to the CAL!2, one day? If someone can also send the original CAL! you can write a shootout review, if you are up to it. Would be interesting and very helpful for everyone looking for a closed can under $100.

Bang bang bang!
I agree shootouts are useful, to get an idea of how a few products stand relative to eachother. This may have to happen someday.

Oh I was the totally going to sell u my CAL's! :grin:
K, just kidding!

If Evshrug does a comparison I'd gladly send my CAL's to him.

Well, if you guys actually want my opinion, maybe we should PM and set this up.

May 26, 2016 at 12:29 PM Post #35,459 of 48,566
which headphone would be the absolute best for fps games in terms of positional accuracy?

which headphones would also be good for music/movies as well as for fps games?

do i need soundcard, dac/amp or both?

thanks!

I prefer the Philips Fidelio X2 as an all-rounder for gaming and music. The X2 is geeat for gaming and very good for music.

You always want to upgrade your audio, even if it's with a budget dac or sound card.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back