Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Feb 22, 2016 at 9:58 PM Post #34,336 of 48,583
And a review quoted in MLE's guide... More than one opinion is good!

The Vali is a decent entry level tube amp (IMO the bravo needs to be modded before it stands up against SS amps), though garage1217 tube amps are also high-value great entry level tube amps to consider as a second option. You could always get a tube amp first and use that with whatever DAC you have now, or a surround DAC. I chose to start using a tube amp like 4 years ago (I forget exactly) because tubes are best known for their smooth, liquid character, timbre, and sense of soundstage, all of things which I felt benefitted the harsh and explosive sounds of video games. The Vali isn't the most detailed or broadest soundstage amp... but it's relatively clean, and has a nice musical feeling to it.

Sample size of one so it's almost not worth mentioning, but my one buddy here in Pittsburgh who has a Vali (first gen) had to have his sent in because the tube had gotten lose and developed bad constant ringing, and he had to send it in because the amp isn't user serviceable. The second one he has now is starting I show the same issues. The Vali is designed to be a jumping-off point meant to eventually be replaced by something else (long before the tube would burn out), but it is a musical and fun starting point which I was quite impressed with in my auditions (before the ringing issues), and definitely has high enjoyment factor for the dollar.

I'm pretty sure the ringing issue has been fixed on the Vali 2. I never experienced it on the Vali 2 and it added more power. Very smooth piece of gear at a great price.
There's also the option of tube rolling with the second iteration.

Feb 22, 2016 at 9:58 PM Post #34,337 of 48,583
Assuming I get a Vali, I'll probably get the second generation model so I can potentially experiment with different tubes.

My last question is this: I got the 32 ohm DT990 Premiums because they were on sale for $150. I keep reading however that the 250ohm version is better when both are amped. Should I consider trading for the 250 version or is it not big enough of a difference to justify the swap. More likely than not, I'll mostly be using them when plugged through the DAC/amp, but may consider still using them without, especially if I travel.

Feb 22, 2016 at 10:00 PM Post #34,338 of 48,583
The 250ohm is better. If you're gonna be amping, may as well go for the even better 600ohm. basically as long as you have a decent amp, get the 600ohm. The 32ohm is really kind of in a weird place. the 250ohm should be if the 600ohm isn't available, or if you have a very good small amp or more.

Basically, just go for 600ohm if you have a desktop amp. It's rather efficient for 600ohm.

If by trading you mean returning and replacing, then yes. If you mean losing money for the trade, nah. They are all rather similar sounding.

Feb 22, 2016 at 10:03 PM Post #34,339 of 48,583
Assuming I get a Vali, I'll probably get the second generation model so I can potentially experiment with different tubes.

My last question is this: I got the 32 ohm DT990 Premiums because they were on sale for $150. I keep reading however that the 250ohm version is better when both are amped. Should I consider trading for the 250 version or is it not big enough of a difference to justify the swap. More likely than not, I'll mostly be using them when plugged through the DAC/amp, but may consider still using them without, especially if I travel.

If I already have a 32 ohm u may just consider going with a mix amp?

Feb 22, 2016 at 10:09 PM Post #34,340 of 48,583
That too is an option, and saves money. The 32ohm is a fine DT990, btw. You're going from great, to greatt, to greattttt

Feb 22, 2016 at 10:15 PM Post #34,341 of 48,583
Because they were on sale, I don't think they'll do an even swap (it was a sale on Focus Camera's eBay store). I would've bought the 250s originally, but they're still about $250+ (I don't want the clamping of the pro versions) and $150 seemed too good of a deal to pass up on the 32s. If I can find someone that wants to do an even trade, that might work, but I don't know if I want to wait for that.

I have a small mix amp that I got with my Plantronics Rig headset, so I'll likely be using that until the Vali 2 and Modi 2U arrive, assuming that works.

Feb 23, 2016 at 1:32 AM Post #34,343 of 48,583
Corsair just announced their new VOID Surround headset comes with a USB Dolby Headphone adapter. Thoughts?

http://www.techpowerup.com/mobile/220275/corsair-gaming-announces-the-void-surround-headset.html

Feb 23, 2016 at 2:00 AM Post #34,344 of 48,583
The included USB Dolby 7.1 sound card unlocks genuine Dolby Surround for PC

There's your answer. The headset works with consoles, but not Dolby headphone, which is limited to PC.

Feb 23, 2016 at 10:38 AM Post #34,345 of 48,583
Guys im looking for a good setup for AK 712 Pro with MODMIC 4.0, i dont have sound card or DAC/AMP yet, only on-board card, and i want to play FPS like CS.GO without surround or 5.1 / 7.1 but i need the good combo to hear the footsteps, please i was loooking everywhere and all places, alot ppl do not have the answer i was looking for, so if u have a little time can u help me? Thanks anyway.

Sry bad english

Feb 23, 2016 at 12:17 PM Post #34,346 of 48,583
  Guys im looking for a good setup for AK 712 Pro with MODMIC 4.0, i dont have sound card or DAC/AMP yet, only on-board card, and i want to play FPS like CS.GO without surround or 5.1 / 7.1 but i need the good combo to hear the footsteps, please i was loooking everywhere and all places, alot ppl do not have the answer i was looking for, so if u have a little time can u help me? Thanks anyway.

Sry bad english

I've heard good things about the Magni 2/Modi combination from Schiit, especially when people talk about AKG headphones.  

Another option would be to get a sound card (such as the Sound Blaster Z) and an amp (like the Magni 2), if the card doesn't provide enough power to drive the headphones... I'm pretty sure a SB Z would provide enough power, though (if I'm wrong, please correct me, anyone!).

Feb 23, 2016 at 4:33 PM Post #34,347 of 48,583
Change: I dunno man, I'm testing it more, and the vegan pads seem to be making thinks a bit warm and spaced back. Going back and forth between the pads, it seems focus pads are more upfront (obviously due to drivers being pushed closer to the ears.)

But that Vegan comfort and bass. Hmm... I think it's gonna be a tradeoff I think about long and hard.

The vegan pads probably make sense for other Hifiman headphones that aren't upper mid deprived like the HE400.

Feb 23, 2016 at 6:34 PM Post #34,349 of 48,583
There's your answer. The headset works with consoles, but not Dolby headphone, which is limited to PC.

That's a shame.

Little adapter like that and a pair of X2s/598s or some other easy to drive / high quality headphone would be the ticket for console gaming.

I don't know why no audio company has figured out yet that there's a market for Dolby headphone with a strong amp.  Or at least the ability to build in a properly working line out to another amp.

Creative, Astro hello?

Feb 23, 2016 at 6:35 PM Post #34,350 of 48,583
  does anyone else think the price for a Mod Mic is a bit steep in comparison to the quality?

Its £40 here and V-Moda Boom Pro is £25, and listening to samples the Boom pro seems better

I think one of the main things you're paying for with the Modmic is that it's modular. Boom Pro requires a compatible headphone/adapter,  the Modmc you can just stick on favorite pair of headphones. 

The nice thing about the Boom pro is that it only uses one cable for everything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back