Mad Lust Envy's Headphone Gaming Guide: (8/18/2022: iFi GO Blu Review Added)
Jan 12, 2016 at 9:50 PM Post #33,811 of 48,562
the DSP chip is nothing but a small CPU, There is also a memory chip that holds the firmware, you can put the DD decoding algorithm in the memory chip via a firmware update. The DSP then can run the algorithm and decode DD5.1 or Do SBX/EQ etc...

DD certified means it has the necessary permissions from Dolby to put their decoding algorithm in the memory chip and process it with the DSP.

Jan 12, 2016 at 10:16 PM Post #33,812 of 48,562
  the DSP chip is nothing but a small CPU, There is also a memory chip that holds the firmware, you can put the DD decoding algorithm in the memory chip via a firmware update. The DSP then can run the algorithm and decode DD5.1 or Do SBX/EQ etc...

DD certified means it has the necessary permissions from Dolby to put their decoding algorithm in the memory chip and process it with the DSP.

Yeah... This is why I tried to get one of Creative's engineers in here, so you guys can get these answers. When the rep told me it was a hardware limitation, I didn't know enough about it to question it. 

He also told me that outputting the optical signal on the X7 could only be done in stereo because it complies with the s/pdif standards, and that it's standard on PC. That didn't make sense to me, but again, he said it was a hardware limitation, so I didn't press. 

I did say that their new Sonic Carrier is rediculous, and that they should instead be trying to work out the issues with the X7. The rep's response was that "everything in sound is subjective." 

Jan 12, 2016 at 10:26 PM Post #33,813 of 48,562

Yeah... This is why I tried to get one of Creative's engineers in here, so you guys can get these answers. When the rep told me it was a hardware limitation, I didn't know enough about it to question it. 

He also told me that outputting the optical signal on the X7 could only be done in stereo because it complies with the s/pdif standards, and that it's standard on PC. That didn't make sense to me, but again, he said it was a hardware limitation, so I didn't press. 

I did say that their new Sonic Carrier is rediculous, and that they should instead be trying to work out the issues with the X7. The rep's response was that "everything in sound is subjective." 

the G5 can output headphone surround through optical/Line out....The X7 should be able to do the same thing....

Jan 13, 2016 at 1:05 AM Post #33,814 of 48,562
Originally Posted by shuto77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Like stated above, the SBX Studio Pro virtualized headphone signal coming out of the X7 front headphone jack is stereo. 100% compatible with the SPDIF/Optical stereo output.

They might have some other hardware limitation within X7 not to be able to do it, bu the connections are not the limit.

I'm getting the G5 myself and forgetting about X7. With the upcoming G5 software update it should be able to take DD 5.1 digital input from consoles and do headphone virtualization then for PC and console games, something that X7 can't do (as of yet, anyway).

Creative didn't do their market research properly on this and missed an opportunity to really make X7 an all-around device.

Jan 13, 2016 at 1:24 PM Post #33,815 of 48,562
Hey guys how are yall doing today. So I have a problem I am competitive csgo player and I use the akg q701 which I love but the problem is they are open back and I have alot of background noise. I was wondering what would you guys recommended for closed back I know they are not as good as open but the background noise is unbearable.

Thank you

Jan 13, 2016 at 1:45 PM Post #33,817 of 48,562
Hey guys how are yall doing today. So I have a problem I am competitive csgo player and I use the akg q701 which I love but the problem is they are open back and I have alot of background noise. I was wondering what would you guys recommended for closed back I know they are not as good as open but the background noise is unbearable.

Thank you

I just recently bought a set of Mr Speakers Mad Dogs as a closed gaming/music set for when the background noise at my place is high.  I have not gotten them yet but I have been told by multiple people that the sound stage is very good a for a closed headphone.  YMMV of course and I haven't even tried them myself but they are currently on sale direct through their website.

Jan 13, 2016 at 2:34 PM Post #33,818 of 48,562
Like stated above, the SBX Studio Pro virtualized headphone signal coming out of the X7 front headphone jack is stereo. 100% compatible with the SPDIF/Optical stereo output.

They might have some other hardware limitation within X7 not to be able to do it, bu the connections are not the limit.

I'm getting the G5 myself and forgetting about X7. With the upcoming G5 software update it should be able to take DD 5.1 digital input from consoles and do headphone virtualization then for PC and console games, something that X7 can't do (as of yet, anyway).

Creative didn't do their market research properly on this and missed an opportunity to really make X7 an all-around device.

Am I missing something or was it confirmed that they're def doing 5.1 from consoles? Do you have a link to anything confirming this information?

Jan 13, 2016 at 2:37 PM Post #33,819 of 48,562

Thank you

I'm not sure what price range you're looking at, but I personally think that my Audeze EL8 closed back's are fantastic for gaming.  The planar bass gives you good fun factor and immersion, while the treble that some people characterize as 'peaky' is actually great for competitive play (i.e. listening for footsteps, etc).  In terms of soundstage, it certainly is no HD800, but I think it actually is better than the HD650 or Oppo PM-3 (the only other two headphones I have gamed with). They also have really good isolation for blocking out noise.

Jan 13, 2016 at 5:05 PM Post #33,820 of 48,562
Well, I received my Fidelio X2s today and I think my issue was just the 9500s lacking bass in general. In stereo they have just enough to be noticeable, but I think Dolby Headphone (or at least, the Mixamp's) makes it a bit harder to recognize. Because the audio sounds like it's coming from actual speakers around you, rather than 2 speakers inside your head, it makes the the bass a bit more distant if that makes any sense. Anyway, I've only used my X2s for about an hour but so far I think they sound a lot closer to what I'm looking for. I do think that I'd prefer SBX though, as I would rather have better sound quality than 100% accurate positional audio. Hopefully the G5 will be right up my alley if the rumors are true as an X7 wouldn't be worth it for me.

Jan 13, 2016 at 7:33 PM Post #33,821 of 48,562
  Well, I received my Fidelio X2s today and I think my issue was just the 9500s lacking bass in general. In stereo they have just enough to be noticeable, but I think Dolby Headphone (or at least, the Mixamp's) makes it a bit harder to recognize. Because the audio sounds like it's coming from actual speakers around you, rather than 2 speakers inside your head, it makes the the bass a bit more distant if that makes any sense. Anyway, I've only used my X2s for about an hour but so far I think they sound a lot closer to what I'm looking for. I do think that I'd prefer SBX though, as I would rather have better sound quality than 100% accurate positional audio. Hopefully the G5 will be right up my alley if the rumors are true as an X7 wouldn't be worth it for me.

Changing pads will help with that.

cool.gif

Jan 13, 2016 at 8:55 PM Post #33,822 of 48,562

Thank you

Hi-

I had a NAD Viso HP50 that I used for a couple weeks. It's very open-sounding for a closed headphone. I returned because I didn't love it.

It's quite a bit different in sound than your AKGs, however. The NADs have slightly warm sound but are good overall.

Just know that almost any headphone you get - especially a closed one - will at first seem much less comfortable than your AKGs.

What's your price range?

Jan 13, 2016 at 10:17 PM Post #33,824 of 48,562
Sorry I Should have added my budget its 100-250

Thank you guys for all your help and replies :)

I've tried quite a few closed cans in that price range, and my favs were the AKG K267, MrSpeakers Mad Dog, and SoundMAGIC HP100.

The K267 is currently on massdrop. A steal for the $129 price tag, I may add.

Jan 14, 2016 at 4:09 AM Post #33,825 of 48,562
Dolby Headphone should be ADDING bass, not lacking in it, so I dunno how someone thinks DH is making them lose bass.

Yes 35hz and lower is missing essentially, but that's the low, low bass, not the meat of it.

Going from DH to stereo or SBX is losing a bit of warmth in general.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back